Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

the 2013 future of Percy Harvin (trade to SEA? p.39)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvin, who is under contract for $2.9 million next season, could play out his five-year deal by agreeing to play in just the last six games after sitting out the first 10. The NFL requires that players be on a team for at least six games in a season to get credit for that year.

If Harvin were to sit out the entire 2013 season, he couldn't become a free agent in 2014, as his current contract allows, because he wouldn't have been on the team for at least six games. The Vikings could then retain his rights for one more year. By holding out, though, then returning, Harvin not only would lose his salary on a pro-rated basis but also face substantial fines.

Still, it would be financially advantageous to Harvin to hold out unless he gets a new contract. That way, he would avoid the risk of injury. The Vikings also could designate Harvin as a franchise player after next season, which would require paying him $10.4 million for 2014.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22606911/charley-walters-trade-vikings-harvin-seems-likely-but

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
smiley4805

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Harvin, who is under contract for $2.9 million next season, could play out his five-year deal by agreeing to play in just the last six games after sitting out the first 10. The NFL requires that players be on a team for at least six games in a season to get credit for that year.

If Harvin were to sit out the entire 2013 season, he couldn't become a free agent in 2014, as his current contract allows, because he wouldn't have been on the team for at least six games. The Vikings could then retain his rights for one more year. By holding out, though, then returning, Harvin not only would lose his salary on a pro-rated basis but also face substantial fines.

Still, it would be financially advantageous to Harvin to hold out unless he gets a new contract. That way, he would avoid the risk of injury. The Vikings also could designate Harvin as a franchise player after next season, which would require paying him $10.4 million for 2014.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22606911/charley-walters-trade-vikings-harvin-seems-likely-but
10.4 million seems to be about how much he's asking for anyway so I think they would just tag and trade him at that point. The Vikings hold all the cards and they are a WR needy team. I think he stays unless the Vikings get reasonable compensation.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8952331/minnesota-vikings-no-intent-trading-percy-harvin
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I cant sleep I decided to watch some game film from this season...One thing I noticed, and its been mentioned here a few times, is Wright vs. Harvin.

Looking at this film, I just dont see a whole lot of Percy in Jarius. Jarius reminds me more of Steve Smith. They are built similar and Wright can stretch the field like Smith can. Im sorry but a good amount of the plays Percy made on the field this year I just cant picture Wright doing. Personally, I dont see Jarius as a Percy Harvin replacement. Its near impossible to replace him and Jarius and Percy are just two different receivers. I feel some are just thinking they are similar because of their height and build. I looked outside the box here. Watch the film if you dont believe me

Alot of Jarius' big plays werent really "Percy" type plays. Percy is a YAC guy where Jarius is more of the Steve Smith type. This is why I would love to see Percy, Jarius, and DeAndre Hopkins as our WR's. You can throw whoever else you want in the mix but those are 3 legit receivers. 2 can stretch the field (Hopkins/Wright) and also be good in the short game while the other is a big time YAC WR that can make plays from just about anywhere on the field.

This would just be a beautiful combo in my eyes and it would open up our offense a lot more. My mouth is just watering right now Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarius Wright stretches the field from the slot. He hasn't shown, yet, that he can be a competent, outside, NFL receiver.

I would love to see Percy and Jarius on the field together but I struggle to see that happening unless one is in the backfield.
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Jarius Wright stretches the field from the slot. He hasn't shown, yet, that he can be a competent, outside, NFL receiver.

I would love to see Percy and Jarius on the field together but I struggle to see that happening unless one is in the backfield.

I think they should incorporate more 3 WR sets in this offense. It will give ponder more options and allow him to stretch the field a little more. Plus these sets would be great to run a HB draw out of because it will allow the defense to back up a little more

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
I think they should incorporate more 3 WR sets in this offense. It will give ponder more options and allow him to stretch the field a little more. Plus these sets would be great to run a HB draw out of because it will allow the defense to back up a little more

3 WR sets also take a Pro Bowler off the field, either Rudolph or Felton.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

That's more or less my point. In a three wide receiver set, both Wright and Harvin, are best fit for the same position.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:

3 WR sets also take a Pro Bowler off the field, either Rudolph or Felton.

Felton is a situational player. He's good at what he does, but he's not a typical Pro Bowl player.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

That's more or less my point. In a three wide receiver set, both Wright and Harvin, are best fit for the same position.

They may be best fit for the same position, but if they're 2 of our best WR's then I think they should both be out there.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are two of our best receivers at the same position. Harvin or Wright on the outside isn't necessarily one of our best receivers.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvin is probably our best receiver no matter where you put him. It also depends on what routes those receivers are going to be running, you just need to run routes that take advantage of their quickness.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the quickness is the world doesn't matter if you can't get off the press. You may be able to get away with Jarius as a flanker and Harvin in the slot, but neither of them is a split end.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt Harvin can beat the press. He's as strong as an ox.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He hasn't been able to beat the press when on the outside, and isn't an effective route runner.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 23 of 44

Jump to: