Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

(RB) Lamar Miller may be the starting back 2013 says Ireland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrozenPhinsFan wrote:
PFF had a good article on "Pulse rate" a few weeks back.

Rb's yards per carry once breakaway runs were removed from the conversation. Trying to show which backs consistently produce good yards with every carry.

Miller ranked 5th in the NFL with an avg of 4.04 yards

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/18/signature-stats-pulse-rate/

Excited about him for next season. I scooped him up off the wire in Dec in a keeper fantasy league....now I can keep him for practically nothing!

Miller also has the smallest sample size of anyone on that list. Plus over half the people on that list (including Miller) had less than 100 carries last season. If he produces at the same rate with 150-200 carries, I will be thrilled, but I think its unlikely. Looking at that list, would anyone here feel comfortable if Marcel Reece were our #1 guy next year? Or how about Andre Brown? Or Joique Bell? All made the list. All had small sample sizes.

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled Miller is on the Dolphins. I am thrilled he is expected to see the ball more next season. I like him a lot. I just can't imagine counting on him to be the guy without bringing in a serious challenger or someone to split carries with him. Especially in today's NFL where two back systems are the standard.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
I just can't imagine counting on him to be the guy without bringing in a serious challenger or someone to split carries with him. Especially in today's NFL where two back systems are the standard.
This is precisely why I want us to draft another RB. If Miler is good, I don't want us running him 25 times a game. And if he struggles, we need to have someone else to create competition at RB.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Thomas says "remember me?"

I'm 100% okay with not resigning Bush. I'd only sign him for around $4 million a year.

We also have what 9 draft picks? Take a RB. Or, use Thigpen more.

"Who" at RB is not nearly as important as fixing this offensive line.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love reggie bush, but if we improve our line to where it should be, there's no reason to overspend on his position. In my ideal world he'd take a reasonable deal and stay.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: (RB) Lamar Miller may be the starting back 2013 says Ire Reply with quote

Dolphinemidget wrote:
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/255146/dolphins-gm-ireland-talks-up-rb-lamar-miller

Quote:
The fog is starting to clear, and it's looking more and more likely that free agent Reggie Bush will not be re-signed. "Lamar really showed some great signs of really some explosive-play opportunity," Ireland said. "He kind of shoots out of the cannon when he hits the hole

Smoke Screen or we going to see Lamar as the featured back in South Beach?
Ireland has also said he is excited about Egnew next year and that john jerry is a arrow up guy and that Josh Kaddu is the guy who excites him the most. I love bush but being a hurricane fan I do know what miller is capable of and like him just better get someone to compliment him besides thomas if bush goes or I will be nervous.
skatewood2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all for Miller as the full time back with Thomas as the Thunder to his Lightning. Yes he is young, but he had a great college career and he is basically Reggie Bush only younger and less wear on the tires. I agree with cddolphin that if we fix the O-Line that Miller would be a perfect back for that style of running.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely possible, but where is the quote where he says that? All it says there is that Ireland commented that he played well. Sounds to me like someone was trying to find some news when there really wasn't any.
Daryl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no reason why Lamar couldnt carry the load. Have you guys watched him while he was at UM? The guys is legit, a big play waiting to happen and he doesn't go down easily even though I wouldn't consider him a bruiser. Think Clinton Portis with more speed n strength. I think part of the reason they didnt play him as much was to give him a full year to strengthen the shoulder but that was his ONLY injury in college. If Willis McGahee can have a productive career after tearing his ACL twice I dont really see the shoulder slowing down Lamar. All he needs is experience as a blocker because like most lead backs in College he wasn't asked to block so he's not a great blocker but with the ball in his hands he's electric!
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
I see no reason why Lamar couldnt carry the load. Have you guys watched him while he was at UM? The guys is legit, a big play waiting to happen and he doesn't go down easily even though I wouldn't consider him a bruiser. Think Clinton Portis with more speed n strength. I think part of the reason they didnt play him as much was to give him a full year to strengthen the shoulder but that was his ONLY injury in college. If Willis McGahee can have a productive career after tearing his ACL twice I dont really see the shoulder slowing down Lamar. All he needs is experience as a blocker because like most lead backs in College he wasn't asked to block so he's not a great blocker but with the ball in his hands he's electric!

Clinton Portis is a good comparison. As far as faster than Portis? I don't know about that. Portis was fast when he first got into the league. I see Miller as a one cut, and get up field runner. Really reminds me of Portis.

UniversalAuthor
Manlaw15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
I just can't imagine counting on him to be the guy without bringing in a serious challenger or someone to split carries with him. Especially in today's NFL where two back systems are the standard.
This is precisely why I want us to draft another RB. If Miler is good, I don't want us running him 25 times a game. And if he struggles, we need to have someone else to create competition at RB.

I'm with both of you guys on this one. I like Lamar as the #1 back but at the same time Ireland would be foolish if he didn't bring a good #2 back to help carry the load. Of course this is Ireland we are talking about. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manlaw15 wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

I'm with both of you guys on this one. I like Lamar as the #1 back but at the same time Ireland would be foolish if he didn't bring a good #2 back to help carry the load. Of course this is Ireland we are talking about. Laughing

It's not like he is saying we aren't going to look at a back but drafting a back in later rounds is cheaper for a #2 than Reggie Bush would be. Right now we have 3 backs without Bush. Miller, Thomas, and Thigpen

UniversalAuthor
Daryl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Blagasse67 Wrote:

As far as faster than Portis? I don't know about that.

You might be right. I have no definitive proof he is faster I just know what my eyes tell me he looks faster coming through the LS and once he breaks a run and is at the third level I have never seen anyone gain on him let alone catch him from behind. Portis although plenty fast he like to dance from time to time maybe that's the difference I see.
DOLFAN016

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
Quote:

Blagasse67 Wrote:

You might be right. I have no definitive proof he is faster I just know what my eyes tell me he looks faster coming through the LS and once he breaks a run and is at the third level I have never seen anyone gain on him let alone catch him from behind. Portis although plenty fast he like to dance from time to time maybe that's the difference I see.

Lamar Miller ran a 4.4 40-yard dash at his NFL Combine.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lamar-miller?id=2533034

NFL Draft Scout shows that Clinton Portis clocked in at 4.42.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33967&draftyear=2002&genpos=RB

They're both 5'11" and just over 200 lbs, so I'd say it's a pretty good comparison...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOLFAN016 wrote:
Daryl wrote:
Quote:

Blagasse67 Wrote:

Lamar Miller ran a 4.4 40-yard dash at his NFL Combine.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lamar-miller?id=2533034

NFL Draft Scout shows that Clinton Portis clocked in at 4.42.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33967&draftyear=2002&genpos=RB

They're both 5'11" and just over 200 lbs, so I'd say it's a pretty good comparison...

I agree it is a good comparison. Miller doesn't seem to dance as much as Portis did. Miller is a one cut runner and get up the field.

UniversalAuthor
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3600/reggie-bush/1

Starting to look like the Backfield will be Miller unless Ireland is bringing someone else to replace Bush, No Bush Miller should be the guy to beat out in training camp, and our current roster dont see it happening.

Adopt a Phins 2014, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
Tannehill (2014 Season stats)
93/155 - 902 yards - 6 TD's - 3 INT's - 81.2 Rat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: