Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

(RB) Lamar Miller may be the starting back 2013 says Ireland
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: (RB) Lamar Miller may be the starting back 2013 says Ireland Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/255146/dolphins-gm-ireland-talks-up-rb-lamar-miller

Quote:
The fog is starting to clear, and it's looking more and more likely that free agent Reggie Bush will not be re-signed. "Lamar really showed some great signs of really some explosive-play opportunity," Ireland said. "He kind of shoots out of the cannon when he hits the hole

Smoke Screen or we going to see Lamar as the featured back in South Beach?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind it, he did a good job in limited play. My only question is can he stay healthy? Didn't he have a bad injury at the end of college? I agree that Bush will not be back as he is not the right back for this system as far as I can tell but we'll see what happens.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pulled his numbers from this past season playing behind Bush.

13 games
51 rushes
250 yards
1 TD
6 Rec
45 yrads
8 times targeted

Means he averaged, 4.9 yards per carry, and 7 yards per recption, my thoughts can he keep that average up carrying the ball around 190-200 times.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to see Reggie go but excited to see what Miller can do.

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most teams, including the Dolphins, have discarded the idea of being a 1 back team. If ireland really believes that Lamar Miller, a 2nd year player, with a CAREER total of a mere 250 yards is ready to be THE fulltime back in Miami, then he is high as a kite. Miller may be ready to split reps with someone. I'd be surprised, but not blown out of the water with that idea. But to think that Miller is going to be counted on as the primary RB in Miami without LEGIT competition is scary.

My sense is that its not an accident that this news came out as free agency gets ready to start and resigning of Reggie, or courting of a new free agent is likely. This is an effort to appear less desperate. Then again, i didn't think we'd enter last season with Hartline and Bess as our #1 and #2 WR and we did. Suffice to say, relying on Miller as the bellcow back would be a mistake in my opinion, and that is no reflection on Miller.
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Most teams, including the Dolphins, have discarded the idea of being a 1 back team. If ireland really believes that Lamar Miller, a 2nd year player, with a CAREER total of a mere 250 yards is ready to be THE fulltime back in Miami, then he is high as a kite. Miller may be ready to split reps with someone. I'd be surprised, but not blown out of the water with that idea. But to think that Miller is going to be counted on as the primary RB in Miami without LEGIT competition is scary.

My sense is that its not an accident that this news came out as free agency gets ready to start and resigning of Reggie, or courting of a new free agent is likely. This is an effort to appear less desperate. Then again, i didn't think we'd enter last season with Hartline and Bess as our #1 and #2 WR and we did. Suffice to say, relying on Miller as the bellcow back would be a mistake in my opinion, and that is no reflection on Miller.

I agree Merc Miller cant carry the load alone, seems like talk (or rumors are, Thomas will be #2) if this happens I cant help but think we are a sure sign to bring in atleast two top WR's (either one from FA and one from draft or however)

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/254776/daniel-thomas-not-viewed-as-a-starter-in-mia

Quote:
"Nobody I speak with is saying Daniel Thomas will take over the starting RB job next year. Nobody," said the Herald's Armando Salguero. In his two NFL seasons, the second-round pick out of Kansas State has managed just 3.53 yards per carry. Miller ripped off 4.90 yards per tote as a rookie in 2012.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I remind you that before the injury, Miller was a surefire first rounder. He is exceptionally talented and was my highest rated back in last years draft. I understand why he fell. I would feel very comfortable with Miller as the feature back in '13, but I also would sign Hillis or a similar back to take about 35% of the carries.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
May I remind you that before the injury, Miller was a surefire first rounder. He is exceptionally talented and was my highest rated back in last years draft. I understand why he fell. I would feel very comfortable with Miller as the feature back in '13, but I also would sign Hillis or a similar back to take about 35% of the carries.

My comments were not intended to be disparaging to Miller, at all. I can see how they would be taken that way, but it really has more to do with state of the NFL. I like Miller a lot. I just think it would be idiotic to put all of our eggs in that single basket. Daniel Thomas, to me, is totally unimpressive, and his late season concussion, which I believe is already his 2nd, has me worried. He makes and takes a lot of contact. I see a short career and I see a guy that looks like a very, very middle of the road player. He's had a small handful of runs that had me excited, but the number of those runs were minimal. I can't see entering a season with those two as the RB corps.
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:

I have mentioned Hillis before and I love the idea of him in Miami.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i''m glad he's going to be #1 RB
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miller as our starter is fine with me if we can't bring back Reggie at a nice wage. Thomas is also a nice number two. He really picked it up nicely in the 2nd half of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly possible that Lamar Miller may be our #1 running back in 2013. The biggest concern for the Dolphins if Reggie Bush is not resigned is the lack of experience at the position. Throw in worries about the remaining backs being able to stay on the field and a relatively stable position goes to one being a need.
In my opinion it would be wise to resign Reggie Bush. Simply handing over the job to Lamar Miller or even Daniel Thomas would be a bad move. Better to increase Millers work load, confirm that the production and ability to handle the job is there, then deal with the terrible problem of having a dynamic backfield.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teams have gone with rookie running backs and have been fine. If the team upgrades the o-line it will not matter who is back there as long as they have the vision to see the opening and hit the hole hard. In fact if there was one position where I believe experience is less of an issue it is RB.

With that said I still believe this is all part of the free agency game. I still believe that they will bring in another back in one way or another.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:

This will impact Irelands job a year from for sure. If we fail badly next year, Ireland will be gone for sure, sounds like Bush isn't staying. =/
FrozenPhinsFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFF had a good article on "Pulse rate" a few weeks back.

Rb's yards per carry once breakaway runs were removed from the conversation. Trying to show which backs consistently produce good yards with every carry.

Miller ranked 5th in the NFL with an avg of 4.04 yards

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/18/signature-stats-pulse-rate/

Excited about him for next season. I scooped him up off the wire in Dec in a keeper fantasy league....now I can keep him for practically nothing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: