Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A look at Chris Johnson (Edit: Poll Added)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Titans cut Chris Johnson?
Yes
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
No
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

TitanSS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: A look at Chris Johnson (Edit: Poll Added) Reply with quote

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1516487-tennessee-advanced-stat-of-the-week-chris-johnson-booms-and-busts

If you're a Chris Johnson lover you'll tear this argument apart. Obviously this article isn't going to make anyone change their minds about Chris Johnson. But if you're like me and you don't care either way who is at running back as long as it translates into wins then this article may interest you.

The stats themselves you can kind of glance over they are about as accurate as saying Chris Johnson averages 4.5 YPC so he's good. But these stats do illustrate the Boom or Bust quality that Chris Johnson possesses that I find to be negative for the team as a whole. The stat helps illustrate how often running with Chris Johnson puts us in 2nd and 3rd and long situations. This helps support the argument that admittedly exciting and electric player is essentially a drive-killer on the majority of his touches.

I'm not against Chris Johnson as a person, and I'm not for any particular runningback in the league coming to the Titans. I am just opposed to the idea that having less than a 3 yard gain on the majority of your carries and then huge runs on a select few of your carries is a positive contribution to an offense.

Jake Locker needs all the help he can get. I, oh so, agree with that claim... But 1-2 yard gains on 1st down is not helping Jake Locker and is, in-fact, hurting him by putting him in long down situations.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1517162-why-retaining-chris-johnson-would-be-a-horrible-move-for-the-titans

Go here to vote whether or not the Titans should keep CJ. Currently around 60% of fans say we should cut him.

Edit: To find out what the majorities opinion is, I added in a poll.

Last edited by TitanSS on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:13 am; edited 2 times in total
KingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be hard to get any real debate because some will point to the line and ignore him as a runner.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
Be hard to get any real debate because some will point to the line and ignore him as a runner.

Last season was by far his worst season, yet we were only missing one player on the offensive line from his 2000 yard season. Even still, he was boom or bust even when he had 2000 yards. Teams just hadn't figured him out yet.

If one offensive lineman makes that profound of a difference could anyone really argue that he is a top runningback? I don't think so. Merely an excuse to put a mask over what he is.
Obie09

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

Last season was by far his worst season, yet we were only missing one player on the offensive line from his 2000 yard season. Even still, he was boom or bust even when he had 2000 yards. Teams just hadn't figured him out yet.

If one offensive lineman makes that profound of a difference could anyone really argue that he is a top runningback? I don't think so. Merely an excuse to put a mask over what he is.

O-line was ranked 31st in 2011. In 2009 we were top 15. Players get older and get worse too.
justing101

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obie09 wrote:
TitanSS wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

O-line was ranked 31st in 2011. In 2009 we were top 15. Players get older and get worse too.

No one says he is an Adrian Peterson RB (only AP is) but he is our most dangerous player on our team. Let defenses just plan for Locker and watch Locker fail miserably. Hard to get going when 2 or 3 guys are in the backfield when you are. He has always been a straight line runner and needs holes. I don't know if he has just hurt your feelings because he is not Adrian Peterson or what but gah lee he is on our team, he is going to be on our team for next year, so just move on and deal with it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at some game video of RB Johnathan Franklin from UCLA against Nebraska.

He was getting met multiple times in the backfield by a rusher or player that beat the lineman. Yet Franklin was able to make him miss or bounced off of him to gain some positive yards.

I know our line isn't good, but a good RB doesn't just cave when that happens. They fight for yards and sometimes makes that unblocked player miss and make a play.

CJ is a playmaker? Make a play.
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article is a fluke. Here's the problem with Chris & facts.
1st off the titans have no identity on offense since Fisher left.
Palmer so called pass & set up the run offense was a joke with vanilla play calling & hammering CJ up the middle like a power back,not to mention interior offense line been ignored & the biggest weakness on the oline since Mawae left.
2nd when Fisher was the coach him & Dinger knew how to use Chris & take advantage of his speed. Fish got him on the edge ran counter plays toss sweeps hell even took advantage of a VY & CJ package by running the option.
3rd and my biggest problem with Chris is when he's getting stop or isn't a factor he looses patience & dances to much trying to hit the home run.
in a zone scheme a RB must remain patient & move with the feet of his blocking because there's always a cut back.

My opinion is this the titans should go back to a running attack like how we did with Vince & CJ & let the offense come to Jake.
Verses trying to make Jake a pocket passer out the gate. We should make the game easier for him,build around his skill set. And see what he can handle what throws can he make how fast is the game to him.
In my mock draft I have the titans taking Bell out of Michigan ST in the 3rd or 4th
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@king Titan I agree with what u said he is a playmaker infraction that's why he held out for QB money he said he's not just a RB he's a playmaker.
@justing101 CJ is not a straight line speed RB. If he were he wouldn't fit in the zone blocking scheme. The guy has tremendous footwork & can stop & change direction in a heart beat.
A guy that only has straight line speed is DArion McFadden.
He needs to quit pressing & play how he use to with patience & when he see the whole hit it.
CJ looses that patience when he's getting no help from his O line & leave some holes that are open left on the field because he try to be Berry Sanders & make his own hole.
It goes in this order to me interior o line offensive play calling then CJ patience & will to know when to take whats giving & when to try to hit a home run.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can someone who struggles to gey 3 yards on the majority of his carries be our best offensive weapon? He is our most known player because of one fluke season. Other teams dont pay as much attention to him as the media. You eliminate one big pkay and Chris Johnson is a nonfactor.

I do not want an AP either. Where did that get the Vikings? Where did 2000 yards rushing get the Titans? An expensive runner is not the key to a championship.
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@TitanSS go back an look into the tape of his early yrs with Fisher tape doesn't lie see him break tackles & for two seasons led the league in broke tackles.
you have to take things into account as of how his game drop off so fast.
1 The yr we had a coaching & offensive coordinator change CJ missed the entire offseason & half of training camp because of a contract hold out
2. Look how Palmer used him compare to dinger.
Dinger does not try to take advantage of his speed he doesn't run counter plays sweep toss zone stretch or even the option.
3 the titans have no identity on offense trying to make an erratic passer with accuracy issues a pocket passer with little experience & try to setup the run after the pass.
but its hard to run the ball when your down 14-20 pts & teams can predict your play calling
4. The interior offensive line been getting worse each yr & continuously ignored since Mawae left. Amano was a bum Scott was declining Harris has no type of technique. Hutchinson is washed up.
5. Munch has no clue as a HC
TitanSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was the last time a team made a deep playoff run because of their star runningback? Even if you do believe in him as a back you cant argue that he doesnt make 3 times his worth to the team as a whole. There are so many 25-26 year old free agents this year that would be immediate starters for us. How can anyone be for having him over a couple of these guys?
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@TitanSS were missing 2 players from his 2000 yrs season 3 if you credit fullback Ahmad hall 4 if you credit VY.
Mawae & Stewart where at the top of their game mawae was a sound technician & could pull with the best of em.
Stewart could get to the 2nd level
Ahmad hall was a beast lead blocker
VY made CJ job easier because safety's LB & DEs couldn't crash down Running lanes without accounting VY because he could hand it off sake pitch with the option or bootleg
Let's talk facts & not just bash the man we also had 2 TEs that excelled in blocking Crumpler & scaife.
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@titanSS lets see the 03 patriots won the Superbowl with a 1500 yrs back Correy Dillon the 05 Steelers won a Superbowl with a 1300 yrd back Willie Parker & rushing pounder gerome Bettie. You have the bears with Thomas Jones & ced Benson.
The ravens won a Superbowl & last yr made it to the AFV championship with rice
49ers rushing attack with gore got them to the Superbowl & NFC championship
Defense wins championship & great coaching & play calling
now if you arguing he hasn't lived up to his pay I agree but I understand why & if you looked into the facts I've been posting you to would see things clear my guy
TitanSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every team you listed was there because of their quarterback play. The good running games only complimented that. And how many of those rushers made anywhere near chris johnsons salary?
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@TitanSS you can't be serious every team I just name made it because of their running game. Tom Brady was an elite QB in 03 with WR that rarely put together a 1000 yrds. Nor was Big Ben he sucked in tkhe Superbowl verse the Seahawks look it up.
Kapernick in a sentence QB play is the same as VY
He's not asked to throw from the pocket a lot. Kapernick runs the read option & SF pounds the rock.
again great coaches play to their teams strength & let the game come to their QB.
that's how the patriots won in 01 03&04 they had a top 5 defense they ran the ball and setup the pass Tom Brady was rarely throwing the ball 40 plus times a game that's also why most of their Superbowl were won by field goals.
When Big Ben won a super bowl cower had a running tandem Ben wasn't throwing 35 plus a game.
The only player that won a Superbowl as an elite passers is flacco but the ravens still aren't considered a high octane passing offense which is why they fired their coordinator Can Cameron during the season.
you have a beef with CJ & you should be beefing with our coaching staff because like I said they don't use Chris skill set to our advantage nor are they doing Jake any good trying to build the offense around him

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: