Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints will interview Todd Grantham on Thursday
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harper41

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Saints will interview Todd Grantham on Thursday Reply with quote

Looks like Ryan to the Saints isn't a done deal after all...Wherever Todd Grantham has gone, great defensive turnarounds have followed.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Harper41

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granthams first NFL stint was with the Indianapolis Colts, he was the DL coach and they went from 3-13 to 13-3 while his defense compiled 56 sacks in two years.

Heres some info about his second NFL stint with the Houston Texans
Quote:
In 2002, his influence was evident on the line as starters Gary Walker, Seth Payne, and Jerry Deloach all posted career high's in tackles. Gary Walker would also earn his second Pro Bowl appearance under his tutelage that season.
2003 would be a testing year for the line, as Pro Bowler Gary Walker and Seth Payne would only play in a combined six games that year due to injury. However, Jerry Deloach and Steve Martin would fill in with great success, posting a combined 201 tackles. Despite the very poor 5-11 record, there was optimism for the future of the steadily improving defense.
2004 would be a break-out year for the Texans. Todd Grantham's line would once again make a major contribution, helping the Texans achieve the 13th ranked run defense in the league. Despite the low number of sacks (5.5), they put great pressure on opposing quarterbacks (76 recorded pressures) and helped anchor the defense that was equipped with playmakers such as 2004 1st round draft pick Dunta Robinson, former Ravens Linebacker Jamie Sharper, and Veteran Defensive Backs Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman. Despite posting a mediocre 7-9 record, the Texans were poised to start making an impact in the NFL after improving every season since their inception in 2002.

In Cleveland
Quote:
Todd Grantham's first year as coordinator of the Browns defense was an eclectic mix of good and bad. They once again fielded one of the NFL's top pass defenses, actually stepping up in rank from 5th to 4th in the NFL. When starting cornerback Gary Baxter went down with a knee injury that ended his season, Leigh Bodden emerged as a solid playmaker. Overall, their secondary continued to play at a high level. They also ranked 11th in scoring defense despite possessing one of the leagues worst run defenses. Orpheus Roye would post a career high with 88 tackles and also make 3 sacks.

And finally, in Dallas
Quote:
Grantham served as the defensive line coach for the Dallas Cowboys until the end of the season when he joined the coaching staff at the University of Georgia as defensive coordinator. During Grantham's 2 seasons with Dallas, the Cowboys improved from 13th (2007) to 2nd (2009) in the league in points allowed.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just see Ryan and Payton clashing... I'd go Grantham personally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God no to Ryan. Just please not him.

I just don't see any evidence as to why he'd be a good hire. Every D he's coached has underwhelmed. If this D underwhelms, it could mean we're blown out every game!

Atleast with Grantham there is the opportunity for us to grab a few of his players (Jones if he falls, Rambo in the 3rd to name a few), and he's done well as DC in the past, and has overseen a transition from 4-3 to 3-4, but Ryan...UGH!

Still hoping for Tomsula, but man this is frustrating.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:

Me too. Mainly because I hope he could convince Payton to move up for JJ.

I think that both would be good hires. They both run a one gap defense which best suits our personnel.

The 49ers//Ravens likely blocked the Saints and Crennel has no incentive to be DC when he can make more money sitting at home collecting a check.
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:

Me too. Mainly because I hope he could convince Payton to move up for JJ.

I think that both would be good hires. They both run a one gap defense which best suits our personnel.

The 49ers//Ravens likely blocked the Saints and Crennel has no incentive to be DC when he can make more money sitting at home collecting a check.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this has me so confused...

If Payton wanted Ryan, why wait? Is it because he covets Grantham and he and the Saints were waiting till after NSD to announce his hiring and Ryans name was thrown out there to throw off the dogs (media)?

If it wasn't and Payton really wants Ryan, why isn't he already in the building evaluating tape and preparing for the offseason?

We all felt that Payton was waiting for a reason... I'm now hoping it was for NSD to pass.

Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be because the 49ers and Ravens refused us to speak to their guys?

I know the 49ers refused the Bucs to talk to Donatell, maybe they did the same to us?

Please no Ryan though.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
Could it be because the 49ers and Ravens refused us to speak to their guys?

I know the 49ers refused the Bucs to talk to Donatell, maybe they did the same to us?

Please no Ryan though.

The 49ers have been known to refuse their assistants to interview. Ozzie Newsome stated that he wouldn't block Monachino from interviewing but he just might not intrest Payton.

It's the wait for me... Y wait so long if the guy u want is just sitting their? I have to believe that Grantham is high on their list and NSD has a lot to do with it.

matt2roddy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't hire Grantham! Rob Ryan to the Saints all the way!!!

My 2011 Adopt-A-Falcon: 1st Team All Rookie Linebacker Akeem Dent!!!
2012 Adopt-A-Falcon: CB Asante Samuel
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt2roddy wrote:
Please don't hire Grantham! Rob Ryan to the Saints all the way!!!

We want Grantham!

We'd also like Jarvis Jones, Alex Ogletree, Jonathan Jenkins, Bacari Rambo & Shawn Williams as well. Wink

SWATcha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let this be the guy and not Ryan. I can't stand the bravado that comes with Ryan. After the fiasco that was Gregg Williams I can't believe Payton is considering hiring another DC with a similar character.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWATcha wrote:
Please let this be the guy and not Ryan. I can't stand the bravado that comes with Ryan. After the fiasco that was Gregg Williams I can't believe Payton is considering hiring another DC with a similar character.

While I like Grantham more, I will say this about Ryan... Defense is mostly reaction, attacking and emotion. I think this defense lost a lot of that swagger and Ryan can bring that back if nothing else.

FLOODx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GW helped us go to the playoffs three years in a row.. If Ryan can come in and make a similar impact we'll be fine. Although, I'd rather Grantham, Ryan wouldn't be a terrible hire. He seems like the type of coach guys would like to play for. Like Harp said earlier, as long as we're switching to the 3-4, I'm fine with whoever Payton chooses.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Saints will interview Todd Grantham on Thursday Reply with quote

Anyone see Payton shocking everyone and hiring Grantham tommorow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: