Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

PACKFAN4'S MOCK OFFSEASON: Vol.1
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
packfan4


Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 10821
Location: South Jersey
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: PACKFAN4'S MOCK OFFSEASON: Vol.1 Reply with quote

2013 Green Bay Packers Offseason



RE-SIGN:

ILB Brad Jones


C Evan Dietrich-Smith



TE Tom Crabtree


CB Sam Shields-1st Round Tender


Let Go:

Donald Driver
Cedric Benson
John Kuhn
Ryan Grant
Erik Walden


Extensions/Restructures:

Charles Woodson*restructure*

*Just wants to win, knows we need a little more wiggle room cash wise so he agrees to restructure so we can bring some play makers in.*


Free Agency

DL Sammie Lee Hill

*I have been a fan of Hill since the day he came out of Stillman, and have kept tabs on him in Detroit. I think he has gotten lost in the shuffle a bit behind Fairley, Williams, & Suh but is a fine player in his own right. Lions fans speak very highly of him and think he deserves more of an opportunity. I think he's a guy that could flourish in our system and help ease the loss of Worthy.*

RB Steven Jackson

*Match made in heaven right here. Jackson will be looking for an opportunity to end his career with a contender, and we desperately need an upgrade at RB, so Ted decides to give Jackson a 2 year deal worth upwards of $9 million.


**Greg Jennings is tagged & traded to MIA for their 2nd Round Pick(54th overall)**


2013 NFL DRAFT


[b]Compensatory picks- 1 4th and 1 6th.


Round 1|Jonathan Cyprien|S|FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL



I've had my eye on Cyprien ever since I watched FIU play Louisville, he seemed to make his presence felt on nearly every snap. His playing style reminds me of Polomalu's with the way he flies to the ball, making plays behind the LOS. His range is tremendous and he plays with an unrivaled passion. He's officially become my draft man-crush and the #1 guy I want at Safety. It's amazing to see how far he's flown up draft boards, when I first started to put this mock together I had Cyprien penciled in with our 4th Round Pick, now I'm not sure he's going to make it out of the 1st Round. Plain and simple, I think he's a stud.

HIGHLIGHTS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU5vsum2vHw&playnext=1&list=PLkJhfZre4KGse_6WmAE-5Lnqo8BqWHt_z&feature=results_video

Round 2|Robert Woods|WR|USC





Woods is just too good to pass up here IMO, we strike 2nd Round WR gold again with Woods falling into our laps. Just a phenomenal WR who somehow has gotten lost in the shuffle a bit. Actually reminds me a bit of Jennings in the sense that he is outstanding in his routes, and does a great job seperating from defenders and getting open. Great after the catch, and just a flat out playmaker. With Jennings likely departing, I would love to add another high profile WR to go along with Jones, Nelson, and Cobb. I'm not particularly sold on Boykin or Ross so Woods would be a huge upgrade to our stable of WRs.

HIGHLIGHTS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aLPm38LBwg


Round 2|Trevardo Williams|OLB|UCONN





Many are calling Williams an undersized player without a true position in the NFL but all I see is a phenomenal pass rusher, regardless of his size. James Harrison went undrafted for the same reasons and I'm not sure GMs want to make the same mistake with a guy like Williams. I love his potential as a pure pass rusher in the NFL, freeing up Matthews to move around a bit with Perry manning the other side of the line. It's pretty evident by now that you can not have enough pass rushers, so Williams would be a welcomed addition.

HIGHLIGHTS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue1om66B_HU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soYBpATHcFI

Round 3|Kevin Reddick|ILB|North Carolina





One of the more underrated losses on this team IMO was the loss of a healthy Brandon Chillar. He did a lot for our Defense and shifted Hawk to where he belonged, in the base Defense. Not to say that Hawk is a bad player, because I think he's definitely a guy everyteam needs, smart, assignment sure and a team leader. We need more than that from the ILB position, especially in today's NFL. We need a guy who's more explosive, someone who can make splash plays and wreak havoc. Reddick is my guy at ILB after Ogletree. He's explosive, an excellent blitzer, and has the ability to be a true game changer, not just plug an occasional hole. I like Terrell Manning and think he's got a shot to be a player but Reddick is too good to pass up if he falls here.

HIGHLIGHTS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc1QMai55Dk

Round 4|Joe Kruger|DE|UTAH





Kruger is your prototypical 5-technique, very long at 6'8 with room to put on some added weight. He really flashed on the couple of cut-ups I have watched of him, just country strong and disruptive. Does a fine job shedding blocks to penetrate into the backfield, and if you single block him, forget about it. Would fit nicely into the D-Line rotation, giving us some always needed depth. One of my favorite mid-round guys.

HIGHLIGHTS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNUc_waKMrU

Round 4|Brian Schwenke|C|CAL





Schwenke seems like a very natural fit here at C, he's versatile, experienced, durable, and athletic enough to extend plays to the second level. Holds up well to the rush, and should give EDS a great battle in camp. I like EDS and think he's a suitable center for the forseeable future but I wouldn't hesitate to give him some competition and boost the depth of the interior, an area where that's currently lacking IMO.

*Thompson sees a guy he really likes slipping so he gives up a 6th Round Pick to move up n the 5th Round.

Round 5|Matt Scott|QB|ARIZONA





Scott possesses a lightning fast release, throws a very accurate ball, and is extremely athletic. Will fall because his arm won't blow you away but I love him as a potential top-end #2 QB. Has enough tools for Mccarthy to work with and should give Harrell a run for his money as Rodgers backup.

HIGHLIGHTS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81vkGTV0xxo

Round 6|Melvin White|CB|LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE





White has phenomenal size at 6'3 ~200 lbs, and he has experience at both Safety and Cornerback which will be intruiging to Thompson. He's excellent on STs and should be able to be an instant contributor in that area. Needs to refine his tackling technique a bit but he has the tools to be a player. I think he's a better player than Dwight Bentley, who was drafted by DET in the 3rd Round last year out of LA-Lafayette.

HIGHLIGHTS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yqCFTDO2eo

Round 7|Chad Bumphis|WR|MISSISSIPPI STATE





One of the more underrated prospects in this WR class IMO. Arguably the most productive WR in Miss State history and excels from the slot. Can return kicks and punts which is always an added plus. Seems to have fallen victim to Miss State running a run heavy attack during his time there but shined when given the opportunity to make a play. Was the co-MVP at the East-West shrine game so maybe all this guy needs is an opportunity?

HIGHLIGHTS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ju04CiMXc
_________________


Last edited by packfan4 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dubyajay


Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 1716
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks reeeeeaalll goood.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
persiandud


Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 1047
Location: Davis, CA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Would have liked some more help in the trenches, but you definitely added some much needed athleticism to the D.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
byzr


Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 3159
Location: Kentucky
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the drat. Cyprien looks like a play maker and i think really think that our defense is missing that definitely. hadn't heard of him at all but i watched the Louisville tape on him and he seemed pretty solid all around.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NCPackFan


Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 2281
Location: Kinston, NC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, you might want to re-do the video for Melvin White. Right now you've got an Evan Rodriguez video up there.

This is a love/hate situation for me. Cyprian is a massive reach the way the current rankings stand, but I really like where you're going with it, especially because our Safety corps needs a solid starter. Perhaps this could be the surprise pick in the 2nd round.

However, the video does NOT do him any justice. He seems completely hit or miss and looked completely lost in coverage. He looks horrible in run support as well. I don't doubt that he's not afraid to stick his nose in there, but I certainly don't think he's a first round pick. He plays a lot like our current Safeties do from that video...

The Woods pick is quite risky because of the year he had last year, but the Trevardo Williams pick is solid. The Matt Scott pick is a complete waste, but the Bumphis pick is a great sleeper pick. The Kruger and Schwenke picks are very sensible and they'd fit right in with what we do, but the Melvin White pick is a concern. White has massive issues with tackling form. However, from what I've read of him, he seems to be a decent project player that could move to Safety.

I'm curious as to where Reddick is going to fit in. Everyone keeps picking him, but I don't understand why y'all keep wasting picks on ILB's when we're already loaded at ILB.

Overall, sparing the Reddick and Scott picks, I really like the direction you took this mock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wgbeethree


Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 3089
Location: Denver, CO via Racine, Wisconsin
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
The Woods pick is quite risky because of the year he had last year


I have zero problems with the year Woods had. In fact it's a plus for me. He switched roles/production with and played second fiddle to Lee. Every WR in this class would play second fiddle to Lee. Not many would have handled it as well. Woods at only 20 years old did what was asked of him and was a good teammate while USC struggled and he got less opportunities to shine costing him millions of dollars. That puts a huge plus in his character box going forward especially coming to a team like ours where opportunities may be limited early.

High character plus upside=love him for us.
_________________

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NCPackFan


Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 2281
Location: Kinston, NC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Here's CBS's write up of Woods. Read it and then tell me why we should be spending a 2nd on him rather than someone like Terrence Williams.

Blessed with a prototypical blend of size and athleticism, Woods has proven a standout at the collegiate level in large part due to his knack as a route-runner. Few at this early stage of their "career," show the moxie Woods has shown for setting up defenders as he releases from the line.

For all of his production, however, there are some troubling elements to Woods' game. For one, he simply drops too many passes. Heavily featured in USC's attack, Woods is often targeted on 10+ passes a game and too often he allows throws to get into his pads or simpy takes his eyes off passes to make a move before truly securing the ball. Second, for all of his impressive statistics, one might be surprised to note that Woods has "only" averaged 11.8 yards per catch over his career. A relatively high proportion of the plays he's made for the Trojans thus far have been created as function of either USC's creative route designs or Matt Barkley's impressive passing.

Don't get me wrong, Woods looks the part of a first round wideout (and certainly has the numbers), but some have questioned whether Barkley is overrated because he's throwing to such a talented receiving corps. Based on the number of drops on tape, how he's featured in this offense and the protection he receives by having another legitimate headliner in true sophomore Marqise Lee opposite him, it isn't without question that Woods is the one being overrated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wgbeethree


Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 3089
Location: Denver, CO via Racine, Wisconsin
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
Ok. Here's CBS's write up of Woods. Read it and then tell me why we should be spending a 2nd on him rather than someone like Terrence Williams.

Blessed with a prototypical blend of size and athleticism, Woods has proven a standout at the collegiate level in large part due to his knack as a route-runner. Few at this early stage of their "career," show the moxie Woods has shown for setting up defenders as he releases from the line.


Pretty much this part... Proto typical blend of size and athleticism and especially this part... knack as a route runner/ moxie for setting up defenders.

Matt Miller's take…
Quote:
Robert Wood size, speed, and route running compares well to a Greg Jennings-type player. He'll be a possession receiver, but one who can pick up big yards after the catch with excellent vision and speed.


You just don't see many 20 year olds with both the knack and ability to run routes as well as Woods. I see a middle class man's Marvin Harrison. We've seen with Manning/Harrison just how dominate an elite passer and routerunner combo can be. I'd love to see that in Green and Gold.

If I'm building a receiving corps I want one guy like Cobb who is shifty in space, one guy like Woods who can run great routes, and one guy who can take the top off a defense with his speed. Having 2/3s of that as young as Cobb and Woods would be to go along with Rodgers would assure us a great corps for years to come.
_________________

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gizmo2012


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 2807
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your draft but am confused on where the money comes from to tag Jennings and sign UFA's and put tenders on RFA's. As you sign, tag and tender that money must be put aside along with rookie salary money and I don't see the math working. Maybe you can explain.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ajhawk5047


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 1198
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
Ok. Here's CBS's write up of Woods. Read it and then tell me why we should be spending a 2nd on him rather than someone like Terrence Williams.

Blessed with a prototypical blend of size and athleticism, Woods has proven a standout at the collegiate level in large part due to his knack as a route-runner. Few at this early stage of their "career," show the moxie Woods has shown for setting up defenders as he releases from the line.


Pretty much this part... Proto typical blend of size and athleticism and especially this part... knack as a route runner/ moxie for setting up defenders.

Matt Miller's take…
Quote:
Robert Wood size, speed, and route running compares well to a Greg Jennings-type player. He'll be a possession receiver, but one who can pick up big yards after the catch with excellent vision and speed.


You just don't see many 20 year olds with both the knack and ability to run routes as well as Woods. I see a middle class man's Marvin Harrison. We've seen with Manning/Harrison just how dominate an elite passer and routerunner combo can be. I'd love to see that in Green and Gold.

If I'm building a receiving corps I want one guy like Cobb who is shifty in space, one guy like Woods who can run great routes, and one guy who can take the top off a defense with his speed. Having 2/3s of that as young as Cobb and Woods would be to go along with Rodgers would assure us a great corps for years to come.


I totally agree. I'm a big fan of woods. I also think Terrence Williams is extremely overrated. He's big and fast, but thats about all I can say for him. He falls down almost every play.
_________________
Go Packers!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
packattack86


Joined: 20 Sep 2009
Posts: 2908
Location: Springfield, IL
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the signing of Jackson as I am leading that bandwagon, but TT won't sign 2. I like Cyprien a lot, however it depends how much the coaching staff likes him and where his stock sits, so if they give him a 1st rd grade i'm all for it. Love Woods, he's one of my favorite 2nd rd possibilities.

IDK much about Williams but we could use depth at OLB, and I like Reddick at ILB. Kruger is intriguing too. This is one of my favorite drafts thus far, nice work.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
packfan4


Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 10821
Location: South Jersey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
I like your draft but am confused on where the money comes from to tag Jennings and sign UFA's and put tenders on RFA's. As you sign, tag and tender that money must be put aside along with rookie salary money and I don't see the math working. Maybe you can explain.

Thanks for the feedback everybody, much appreciated.

I hear you on the cap situation. If my numbers are correct we have about $7 million in cap room right now, restructuring Woodson could create an additional $5-8 million(releasing him would give us $10 million in additional cash). I also think we are going to re-do Finley & Pickett's deals to give us more wiggle room, wouldn't be surprised to see Hawk let go which would give us an additional $2.25 million. It's tough to say right now where the money is going to come from but we have options. I don't think S-Jax or Hill are going to be very expensive though, so I think it would be doable fitting them under the cap.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hinkle


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 594
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not tagging Jennings not happening! Safety in round one don't see it.
_________________

Props to Uncle Buck for the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jfinley88


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 11585
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packfan4 wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:
I like your draft but am confused on where the money comes from to tag Jennings and sign UFA's and put tenders on RFA's. As you sign, tag and tender that money must be put aside along with rookie salary money and I don't see the math working. Maybe you can explain.

Thanks for the feedback everybody, much appreciated.

I hear you on the cap situation. If my numbers are correct we have about $7 million in cap room right now, restructuring Woodson could create an additional $5-8 million(releasing him would give us $10 million in additional cash). I also think we are going to re-do Finley & Pickett's deals to give us more wiggle room, wouldn't be surprised to see Hawk let go which would give us an additional $2.25 million. It's tough to say right now where the money is going to come from but we have options. I don't think S-Jax or Hill are going to be very expensive though, so I think it would be doable fitting them under the cap.


Releasing Hawk would cost us money actually fwiw...

As for the draft, I think it's pretty solid. I thought I was a Cyprien homer; obviously things will change and his draft stock should soar from now til draft day, but I'm never particularly comfortable taking a non-BCS guy in the 1st... just my opinion, but I do think he has 1st round talent on tape, but it's just never a sure thing when taking a small school guy... But I think Cyprien is the 3rd best S in this class, and I would guess you have him even higher...

Not a Woods fan, but like you said, if he's there with our late 2nd he needs consideration. I personally wouldn't touch him til our 3rd though, just don't see it.

Trevardo reminds me of Anthony Spencer quite a bit. Not on that level, but similar play styles I feel. I've hardly looked into him, so don't know to much. But agree with taking another OLB this early. Actually now that I think about this pick is void considering we'll only have one second Laughing

Don't like Reddick at all personally.

Kruger and Scwenke are both AWESOME picks that, for me, made this mock from a solid C-/C to a B+.

Matt Scott has some tools, Mac could probably do something with him.

Haven't looked into Melvin at all, but am definitely gunna have to give a look with that size...

Not big on Bumphis, but it's the 7th so whatever we need another WR so let him compete against Boykin and Ross.

Overall I like it... Anything without Barrett Jones get's an automatic B- from me, but I'd give this a B+!
_________________
JammerHammer21 wrote:
jfin is one of those 1000 monkeys sitting at a typewriter that will eventually type out all of Shakespere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
packfan4


Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 10821
Location: South Jersey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jfinley88"]

Releasing Hawk would cost us money actually fwiw...

*I was going by what this article said...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/71757/big-decision-packers-salary-cap-space
Quote:
Hawk's contract, on the other hand, doesn't provide the opportunity for a huge cap savings. He is set to count $7.05 million against the 2013 cap, but releasing him would create a modest $2.25 million savings because $4.8 million in pro-rotated signing bonus would accelerate.


Quote:
As for the draft, I think it's pretty solid. I thought I was a Cyprien homer; obviously things will change and his draft stock should soar from now til draft day, but I'm never particularly comfortable taking a non-BCS guy in the 1st... just my opinion, but I do think he has 1st round talent on tape, but it's just never a sure thing when taking a small school guy... But I think Cyprien is the 3rd best S in this class, and I would guess you have him even higher...

Yeah I honestly have Cyprien as my top Safety, may be crazy to a lot of people but I really like this kid and think he is going to be special. I have no problem taking a small-school guy that high if I deem him worthy of the selection, I think Ted would say the same.

Quote:
Trevardo reminds me of Anthony Spencer quite a bit. Not on that level, but similar play styles I feel. I've hardly looked into him, so don't know to much. But agree with taking another OLB this early. Actually now that I think about this pick is void considering we'll only have one second Laughing

I don't love the Spencer comparison. I think he's a more natural pass rusher, and much more fluid and explosive. He's got about 4 cut-ups on Youtube, watch some of his games, I'm sure you'll come away a bit more impressed.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group