Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Question for Raider Nation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
textaz03

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Question for Raider Nation Reply with quote

The Cowboys just signed your former Oline Coach Frank Pollack to be our assistant Oline coach to take some work load off of Callahan.

My question is, how was he for you this past season? Why was he let go? How was his coaching?

I'm trying to get an insight to a guy we don't know much about.

Thanks,

Tex

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results were pretty bad as far as run blocking is concerned but it probably has a lot to do with McFadden not fitting the ZBS.
Pollack with Callahan is a bit surprising though as one is a PBS guy and the other a ZBS.
What blocking scheme are you using?
textaz03

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have always been PBS.

However, it appears that we are goin to let Callahan call the offense this year, so it may change, we fans really have no idea on what's going on offensively, they have been very mum.

Darbsk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pollack was brought in together with Greg Knapp to install the zone blocking scheme for us. Whether it was Knapp, Pollack or not entirely suitable linemen we didn't see much stellar line play this past year. Veldheer and Wiz were decent but thye had been all along....... Briesel who was brought in specifically to play the ZBS was average to poor (although playing with an injury) so the jury is kinda still out.

Vey hard to judge a ZBS line on a 1 year trial as things take time to settle, the one thing i did notice was that there was no marked improvement over the course of the year however, which was worrying. Tom Cable IMO had a bigger impact on our OL working wth less talent.

Callaghan and Pollack doesn't sound very appetizing to me Confused
Raidin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcel Reece: 271 yards, 4.7 yards per carry
Mike Goodson: 221 yards, 6.3 yards per carry

Problem is McFadden was awful and was given most of the carries. Very difficult to judge our O-line coaching tbh.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone keeps saying its hard to judge our Oline but only references run blocking and McFadden. We couldn't pass block like at all. We're lucky Palmer lasted as long as he did. Our run blocking was hot and cold, but McFadden definitely didn't fit the ZBS so run blocking is harder to judge as prior alluded to.

#FreeAgent

Jaguarfan wrote:
LETS DO THIS
BRING OUT THE GIFS SOMEONE
IM AT SCHOOL I CANT POST ANY
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Everyone keeps saying its hard to judge our Oline but only references run blocking and McFadden. We couldn't pass block like at all. We're lucky Palmer lasted as long as he did. Our run blocking was hot and cold, but McFadden definitely didn't fit the ZBS so run blocking is harder to judge as prior alluded to.

We gave up the 4th least sack/attempts. Problem is when you're averaging 2 yards/carry in most games, the pass rushers can pin their ears and go hard after the QB. And even in this situation, we didn't give up a lot of sacks. There were probably some games in which the pass pro wasn't good but overall it was solid.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

We gave up the 4th least sack/attempts. Problem is when you're averaging 2 yards/carry in most games, the pass rushers can pin their ears and go hard after the QB. And even in this situation, we didn't give up a lot of sacks. There were probably some games in which the pass pro wasn't good but overall it was solid.

Ehhh sacks aren't the only way to measure how well you pass protect. If your QB gets rocked right after he throws the ball 10 times in a row, there are 0 sacks tallied but that doesn't mean your pass blocking is any good.

Palmer was really good about getting the ball out quick, even NCough will admit that. He also did a good job of moving within the pocket and I can't begin to tell you how many times I remember him making throws with guys breathing down his neck. Hell, even the Jaguars had a field day against us.

You have a point about no running game and pinning their ears back though. Especially since we played catch-up a lot of the time.

#FreeAgent

Jaguarfan wrote:
LETS DO THIS
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

Ehhh sacks aren't the only way to measure how well you pass protect. If your QB gets rocked right after he throws the ball 10 times in a row, there are 0 sacks tallied but that doesn't mean your pass blocking is any good.

Palmer was really good about getting the ball out quick, even NCough will admit that. He also did a good job of moving within the pocket and I can't begin to tell you how many times I remember him making throws with guys breathing down his neck. Hell, even the Jaguars had a field day against us.

You have a point about no running game and pinning their ears back though. Especially since we played catch-up a lot of the time.

Over the course of a whole season, it's a good indicator. And Carson Palmer isn't the only QB in the league getting rid of the ball quickly. Those stats don't say they were a top 4 pass protecting oline, they say they weren't too bad.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Over the course of a whole season, it's a good indicator. And Carson Palmer isn't the only QB in the league getting rid of the ball quickly. Those stats don't say they were a top 4 pass protecting oline, they say they weren't too bad.

So what would you grade them as then? Average? Because I have a hard time even giving them that. If I were to put a number on it as far as a ranking out of 32, I'd probably give them no higher than 21.

#FreeAgent

Jaguarfan wrote:
LETS DO THIS
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

So what would you grade them as then? Average? Because I have a hard time even giving them that. If I were to put a number on it as far as a ranking out of 32, I'd probably give them no higher than 21.

Yeah, average to slightly below average due to Brisiel and Smith.
textaz03

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info guys. Gives me something to relay back to my guys.

Needless to say, we should continue to worry about our non existant run game that had been missing for several years in Dallas.

Tex

ravens5520

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to create a new thread, ill ask in this one..

How was Wizs performance at center for you?? I saw somewhere he gave up 0 sacks, with only a few QB pressures

It's tough for me to grade him because I only saw one game of the raiders this year. Plus I know your o line was weak in other spots.
Darbsk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens5520 wrote:
Not to create a new thread, ill ask in this one..

How was Wizs performance at center for you?? I saw somewhere he gave up 0 sacks, with only a few QB pressures

It's tough for me to grade him because I only saw one game of the raiders this year. Plus I know your o line was weak in other spots.

Missed all training camp I believe and really looked a little shaky in the new system to begin with, was getting pushed back into the pocket too often for my liking initially. Definately improved though throughout the year and opened some nice holes for Reece when he played and Goodson in spells. Pass protection i thought was pretty good once he gelled with his OL comrades, though our G play didn't help him much.

Hopefully with the new OC and scheme in place he can settle and play up to his potential, is intelligent, great work ethic and looks to be the Raiders C for the next 10 years IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: