Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

UnPOPular Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grizmo78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: UnPOPular Mock Reply with quote

RESIGN:

Ryan Clady (Franchise Tag or Long Term Contract) - No way he gets out.

Justin Bannan - Solid in our rotation this year, and will be next year. 2-3 year deal

Brandon Stokley - Was and will be Payton's safety blanket. 1 year deal

David Bruton - Not that good of a saftey, but a very very good ST player. Every punt, he gives me hope of a big play, as well as Holiday. 3 year deal

Dan Koppen - Insurance incase Walton is rusty

Colquitt, Carter, Unrein, Clark RFA tenders

D.J. Williams - Restructures to stay as a rotational linebacker (He's a better player and person than you guys give him credit for)

RELEASE/GONE:

Jim Leonard
Keith Brooking
Chris Gronkowski
Caleb Haine
Ty Warren
Kevin Vickerson
Andre Caldwell
Tracy Porter

FREE AGENCY:

Terrance Knigton (DT, JAC) - Played great for Del Rio, comes to reunite on a 2 year deal.

Andy Levitre (OG BUF) - Top bakcup in case of injury.

Desmond Bryant (DT, OAK) - Underrated player who would fit in the rotation. Cheap.

DRAFT

ROUND 1 (PICK #28 ): Xavier Rhodes CB

Xavier Rhodes is a straight baller. At 6'2 217lbs, he is a tall, physical corner, whom we desperately needed this past year. He is best in man-to-man but has mixed in zone coverage's as well. From watching a bit of tape, you see he has fluid hips for a guy his size, can run well, and can make plays on the ball. Reminds me a lot of Richard Sherman. I like him better than Dee Miller. His only real flaw is he takes bad angles in run support but is a great/willing tackler when in position. Corner back will be a big need. A stable of Champ, Rhodes, Harris, Carter (who is severely overrated. He was inactive at the end of the year, but is a fantastic #4) and Bolden (Didn't see anything from him this year but will hold judgement till next year due to coming back from injury) would really be one to fear.

TRADE! We trade up to #48 (Steelers look to pick up a few more picks) to jump the Bengals and Giants for a package of #58 and #122 (round 4) #186 (round 6) and Joe Mays.

ROUND 2 (PICK #48 ): Arthur Brown MLB

While undersized a bit (6'4 230lbs), he plays much bigger. He's very good at working around blocks and fighting off them to get to the ball carrier. John Fox and Del Rio love fast linebackers and Brown fits in the mold of players they've targeted before. He is an all around player, very good against both the run and pass. Brown is a very smart linebacker, up there with the best of them, and can tackle very well. Very excited about this guy.

ROUND 3 (PICK #90): Stedman Bailey WR
Bailey is a very intelligent receiver, great at route running, great hands. Pretty much fits the bill of slot receiver perfectly. Eventual replacement for Stokely. He had 106 catches for an average of 120 yards a game and an insane 23 touchdowns. This guy knows how to get open.

ROUND 5 (PICK #154): Blaize Foltz G
Young depth at guard. Don't know too much about players from here on down. I've read he's smart, good at pass pro but could use work in the run game.

ROUND 7 (PICK #218): Quanterus Smith, DE
Doubt he makes it this far, but since I dont really know 7th rounders I'll throw his name out there to keep an eye on. Smith blew up Alabama with 3 sacks, but suffered an ACL injury. Worth a flier, has plenty of potential at 6'5 250lbs.
elliot878

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be nice to get Knighton and Bryant. Andy Levitres not gonna go anywhere that he won't have a starting spot.

Like your draft, but do hope we go safety some point.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: UnPOPular Mock Reply with quote

I don't think this mock will be unpopular.

grizmo78 wrote:

With a couple months to draft day, my ranking of MLBs is:
1. Kevin Minter
2. Alec Ogletree
3. TIE Arthur Brown and Manti Teo

Brown at 6'1" 230lb is talented but small. Te'o looks like he'll be a 3-4 thumper LB, not a 4-3 MLB.

I think the Broncos are more concerned about pass defense so a LB like Ogletree or Brown is a possible pick.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this mock.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: UnPOPular Mock Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:

grizmo78 wrote:

1. Kevin Minter
2. Alec Ogletree

Brown at 6'1" 230lb is talented but small. Te'o looks like he'll be a 3-4 thumper LB, not a 4-3 MLB.

I think the Broncos are more concerned about pass defense so a LB like Ogletree or Brown is a possible pick.

Brown cant play 43 MLB in the NFL unless he puts on some serious muscle. I completely disagree that he "plays bigger" than his weight. He looks and plays small. Fox doesnt go for that in the middle. He wants a thumper.

I dont hate this mock but I dont love it. I think Knighton might be a good upgrade to Vick. Id rather have them both and leave Bannan in the hills.

Im on the Xavier Rhodes pick too. Hes better than Millner, especially if Millner goes in the top-10. Id take Rhodes in a heartbeat if hes there at #28 but I dont think he will. His value will jump in the next couple weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You give Bannan a three year deal and let Vickerson walk? Please.
grizmo78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: UnPOPular Mock Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
bobdevine wrote:

grizmo78 wrote:

1. Kevin Minter
2. Alec Ogletree

Brown cant play 43 MLB in the NFL unless he puts on some serious muscle. I completely disagree that he "plays bigger" than his weight. He looks and plays small. Fox doesnt go for that in the middle. He wants a thumper.

I dont hate this mock but I dont love it. I think Knighton might be a good upgrade to Vick. Id rather have them both and leave Bannan in the hills.

Im on the Xavier Rhodes pick too. Hes better than Millner, especially if Millner goes in the top-10. Id take Rhodes in a heartbeat if hes there at #28 but I dont think he will. His value will jump in the next couple weeks.

I beg to differ concerning the Brown fellow. Why can't he play MLB? Because he's only 230lbs? Let me point you in the direction of Jon Beason whom before injuries was among top 5 MLB's at 235 lbs. Or DROY Luke Kuechly whom is 235 lbs as well. When I watch Brown, he consistently avoids, takes on and sheds, or bounces off blocks. If Fox wanted a thumper, Mays is sitting right there. What I think Fox wants is someone who plays smart and in position, aka Brown who is arguably the smartest linebacker in this class with Teo.

I agree that i'd love to have Big Vick come back as he was noticeably our best DT this past year, but so was Bunkley the year before and we see how he turned out. If Vickerson is willing to come back at a reasonable deal, I'd love for him to come back, but he just had his best season as a pro and IMO will look to get as much as possible before he's out. Bannan on the other hand will come much much cheaper and was solid. We are in a great cap situation now because we don't overpay for rotational players.

I love Rhodes and really hope he falls to us. Wouldn't mind trading up for him either. I'm hoping with so many CB's coming up (Millner, Rhodes, Banks, Trufant (who is getting slightly overrated)) that they together somewhat fall. He's gonna be a STUD though. We really need some good press corners. Thats how you throw off top QB's, you mess with their toys.
fossilsn2000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, I like this draft. Too many have ignored the MLB spot.

-Levitre will be expensive and will get a starter job with a starters contract.

-Fox and Del Rio really like Vickerson so he'll re-sign with a 2 to 3 year deal leaving Bannan with either 1 year deal or most likely walking.

-I think McGahee will be cut and a veteran will be added to replace him. I'm hoping for Mendenhall, but expecting Greene.

-I completely agree about Knighton as an addition. A little concerned with his effort, but I think Del Rio will want to bring him on.

-If Koppen returns then he will be outright battling Walton for the starter spot after how well he played and works with Manning.

-The issue with the MLB is not about speed or hitting, but rather intelligence. Brooking was far from a playmaker this year, but he made an impact as a leader. The defense improved noticeably after his insertion because he coordinated the defense and made adjustments much better than Mays. Whomever, is drafted will be chosen for their ability to "quarterback" the defense and not on physical prowess.
denverbroncos23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get why everyone likes Xavier Rhodes I've watched a lot of tape on him and in no way does he deserve to be a first rounder if Fox and Elway wanna go that route I'd much rather prefer Elam from Florida

^Jamison^
Broncos, Michigan Athletics, Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs.. Sad
elliot878

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: UnPOPular Mock Reply with quote

grizmo78 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
bobdevine wrote:

grizmo78 wrote:

1. Kevin Minter
2. Alec Ogletree

I beg to differ concerning the Brown fellow. Why can't he play MLB? Because he's only 230lbs? Let me point you in the direction of Jon Beason whom before injuries was among top 5 MLB's at 235 lbs. Or DROY Luke Kuechly whom is 235 lbs as well. When I watch Brown, he consistently avoids, takes on and sheds, or bounces off blocks. If Fox wanted a thumper, Mays is sitting right there. What I think Fox wants is someone who plays smart and in position, aka Brown who is arguably the smartest linebacker in this class with Teo.

I agree that i'd love to have Big Vick come back as he was noticeably our best DT this past year, but so was Bunkley the year before and we see how he turned out. If Vickerson is willing to come back at a reasonable deal, I'd love for him to come back, but he just had his best season as a pro and IMO will look to get as much as possible before he's out. Bannan on the other hand will come much much cheaper and was solid. We are in a great cap situation now because we don't overpay for rotational players.

I love Rhodes and really hope he falls to us. Wouldn't mind trading up for him either. I'm hoping with so many CB's coming up (Millner, Rhodes, Banks, Trufant (who is getting slightly overrated)) that they together somewhat fall. He's gonna be a STUD though. We really need some good press corners. Thats how you throw off top QB's, you mess with their toys.

Was about to say, Beason and Brown were about the same size coming out of college, and Fox drafted Beason in Carolina. I don't know enough about Brown to compare him in any way to Beason besides size. Pictures of Brown he does look slim, but then I looked up pics of Beason from his Miami days.

235-245 is pretty much normal of a 4-3 middle linebacker. Over 250 seems more rare, especially guys coming out of college. And the 250+ guys coming out of college don't usually move near as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Brown has plenty of strength. He disengages blocks well using speed and technique and is a very good tackler. No, he isnt going to blow people up but he wont wiff on tackles going for the big hit either. His best asset is his intelligence and if he can get up to 240lbs he will be an excellent MLB.
denverbroncos23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or evens guy like dj swearinger

^Jamison^
Broncos, Michigan Athletics, Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs.. Sad
brncos4life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
You give Bannan a three year deal and let Vickerson walk? Please.

EXACTLY!!! gotta keep vickerson, bannan on the outs
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: UnPOPular Mock Reply with quote

grizmo78 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
bobdevine wrote:

grizmo78 wrote:

1. Kevin Minter
2. Alec Ogletree

Just because he "weights" the same as other MLB's in the NFL doesnt mean he plays like them. Every time I watched Arthur Brown play, he was exactly what I read about him. A soft player that lacks the instincts to play MLB. I see him moving to WLB in the NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denverbroncos23 wrote:
I don't get why everyone likes Xavier Rhodes I've watched a lot of tape on him and in no way does he deserve to be a first rounder if Fox and Elway wanna go that route I'd much rather prefer Elam from Florida

The draft is really not that good. People could honestly argue only 16 guys are worth a first round grade.

I love Stedman Bailey though. i think on the right team he's going to be a very impactful player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: