Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Possible Slot WRs to sign this offseason!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
His production has gone down every year. Every year people say "this is his year" "this year he will breakout" Then every year his production drops. He has the easiest matchhup of all our WRs. Slot receivers can produce a lot more then he does.
His production went down from 2009 to 2010 b/c he went from being a starter to having to fight his way up from the depth chart. He also played in 2 less games. From 2010 to 2011 he played in 3 less games due to a potentially fatal injury, and was 3rd on the team in catches. His production in 2012 was damn near identical to 2011 (6 yards difference). No excuses need to be made, but I'm just reasonable I guess...
Actually bringing up the injuries in an excuse. We can get 400 yards and 2 TDs out of a min contract guy. I personally think we should keep Bennett but if the team feels they want more production from that position you can't blame them.
The team doesn't feel anything of the sort, the idiot fans who think that every WR on every team should be 1000 yard guy do. You apparently think any WR can fall off the turnip truck and outproduce him, yet he has outproduced all but 9 guys at his position on the depth chart in the entire NFL.
The position you made up?

Does every team not have a WR that is 3rd on their depth chart?
#3 WR isnt a position. Most teams have 3 starting receivers for the X, Y and Z. You dont tell a WR to run on the field and line us as the #3. Bennett was our slot receiver.
Actually no, every team in the NFL has their depth chart w/ WR 1, WR 2. The x and z. The Y position is the TE that lines up inline w/ the OL. No team in the NFL has a starting x, y, & z WR. Every team in the NFL however has a WR 1 & WR 2, w/backups listed behind them. Why is that? Oh its b/c WRs line up in all sorts of different positions on the field. In fact the Giants, Patriots, & Rams WR 2 often line up in the slot, however they are never referred to as slot receivers on the depth chart. You are trying to compare guys that start to guys that don't. That's not an apples to apples comparison. As I said before if you want to do that, you might as well compare to every WR in the NFL b/c they all line up in slot at times and on the outside at times. There were a lot of times Bennett lined up on the outside himself this year. He's a #3 WR, just like Mario Manningham, Jacoby Jones (who almost never lines up in the slot), Ramses Barden, etc...

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Wallace (27) Pittsburgh
Dwayne Bowe (2Cool Kansas City
Greg Jennings (29) Green Bay
Wes Welker (32) New England
Brian Hartline (26) Miami
Danny Amendola (27) St. Louis
Devery Henderson (31) New Orleans
Donnie Avery 29 Indianapolis
Mohamed Massaquoi 26 Cleveland
Kevin Ogletree 26 Dallas
Julian Edelman 27 New England
Brandon Gibson 26 St. Louis
Louis Murphy 26 Carolina
Matt Willis 29 Denver
Josh Cribbs 30 Cleveland
Braylon Edwards 30 New York Jets
Johnny Knox 26 Chicago
Randy Moss 36 San Francisco
Domenik Hixon 28 New York Giants
Ted Ginn Jr 28 San Francisco
Brandon Tate 25 Cincinnati
Devin Aromashodu 29 Minnesota
Courtney Roby 30 New Orleans
Ramses Barden 27 New York Giants
Chaz Schilens 27 New York Jets
Kassim Osgood 33 Detroit
Deion Branch 34 New England
Devin Thomas 26 FA
Ruvell Martin 31 Buffalo
Roscoe Parrish 31 Tampa Bay
Michael Spurlock 30 San Diego
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
Mike Wallace (27) Pittsburgh
Dwayne Bowe (2Cool Kansas City
Greg Jennings (29) Green Bay
Wes Welker (32) New England
Brian Hartline (26) Miami
Danny Amendola (27) St. Louis
Devery Henderson (31) New Orleans
Donnie Avery 29 Indianapolis
Mohamed Massaquoi 26 Cleveland
Kevin Ogletree 26 Dallas
Julian Edelman 27 New England
Brandon Gibson 26 St. Louis
Louis Murphy 26 Carolina
Matt Willis 29 Denver
Josh Cribbs 30 Cleveland
Braylon Edwards 30 New York Jets
Johnny Knox 26 Chicago
Randy Moss 36 San Francisco
Domenik Hixon 28 New York Giants
Ted Ginn Jr 28 San Francisco
Brandon Tate 25 Cincinnati
Devin Aromashodu 29 Minnesota
Courtney Roby 30 New Orleans
Ramses Barden 27 New York Giants
Chaz Schilens 27 New York Jets
Kassim Osgood 33 Detroit
Deion Branch 34 New England
Devin Thomas 26 FA
Ruvell Martin 31 Buffalo
Roscoe Parrish 31 Tampa Bay
Michael Spurlock 30 San Diego
Johnny Knox can be retained by the Bears for appx $1M due to a new rule in the CBA, so he's not an UFA. The only guys worthy of consideration to be brought in here on that list are Amendola, Henderson, Avery, & Oglegree. Maybe Louis Murphy & Josh Cribbs as well if they are willing to take #4 money.

DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
His production has gone down every year. Every year people say "this is his year" "this year he will breakout" Then every year his production drops. He has the easiest matchhup of all our WRs. Slot receivers can produce a lot more then he does.
His production went down from 2009 to 2010 b/c he went from being a starter to having to fight his way up from the depth chart. He also played in 2 less games. From 2010 to 2011 he played in 3 less games due to a potentially fatal injury, and was 3rd on the team in catches. His production in 2012 was damn near identical to 2011 (6 yards difference). No excuses need to be made, but I'm just reasonable I guess...
Actually bringing up the injuries in an excuse. We can get 400 yards and 2 TDs out of a min contract guy. I personally think we should keep Bennett but if the team feels they want more production from that position you can't blame them.
The team doesn't feel anything of the sort, the idiot fans who think that every WR on every team should be 1000 yard guy do. You apparently think any WR can fall off the turnip truck and outproduce him, yet he has outproduced all but 9 guys at his position on the depth chart in the entire NFL.

#3 WR isnt a position. Most teams have 3 starting receivers for the X, Y and Z. You dont tell a WR to run on the field and line us as the #3. Bennett was our slot receiver.
Actually no, every team in the NFL has their depth chart w/ WR 1, WR 2. The x and z. The Y position is the TE that lines up inline w/ the OL. No team in the NFL has a starting x, y, & z WR. Every team in the NFL however has a WR 1 & WR 2, w/backups listed behind them. Why is that? Oh its b/c WRs line up in all sorts of different positions on the field. In fact the Giants, Patriots, & Rams WR 2 often line up in the slot, however they are never referred to as slot receivers on the depth chart. You are trying to compare guys that start to guys that don't. That's not an apples to apples comparison. As I said before if you want to do that, you might as well compare to every WR in the NFL b/c they all line up in slot at times and on the outside at times. There were a lot of times Bennett lined up on the outside himself this year. He's a #3 WR, just like Mario Manningham, Jacoby Jones (who almost never lines up in the slot), Ramses Barden, etc...
Teams have an X, Y , Z depth chart. Just because you cant see it on the team website doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Bennett may be a top 75 receiver but that's nothing to really brag about.

Bennett is a nice player. My biggest issue is that he's taking up a position that we can get a lot more production from. A lot of teams are lining very talented WRs up in the slot. We're not doing that.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Teams have an X, Y , Z depth chart. Just because you cant see it on the team website doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Bennett may be a top 75 receiver but that's nothing to really brag about.

Bennett is a nice player. My biggest issue is that he's taking up a position that we can get a lot more production from. A lot of teams are lining very talented WRs up in the slot. We're not doing that.
1. Again, the Y is the inline TE, x is the split-end, z is the flanker. We line up very talented WRs in the slot as well, unless you think that Marshall and Jeffery aren't talented. WR 1 & WR 2, the starters.

Edit: just realized I should probably define those for you

x=split-end: Split-end lines up on the side opposite of the TE or weak side, on the LOS

Y=TE: lines up inline w/ OL on the LOS. Is an eligible receiver by formation, can not be covered up

z=flanker: flanker lines up on the same side as the TE, off of the LOS

F=Flex/H-back: TE that lines up anywhere other than inline

The slot however is an area of the field, not a position. The slot is the area between Split End and the OL, behind the LOS. The slot can be occupied by any eligible player. There is no slotback position in the NFL. In route concepts the slot is referred to as s or u.

DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:

1. Again, the Y is the inline TE, x is the split-end, z is the flanker. We line up very talented WRs in the slot as well, unless you think that Marshall and Jeffery aren't talented. WR 1 & WR 2, the starters.

Edit: just realized I should probably define those for you

x=split-end: Split-end lines up on the side opposite of the TE or weak side, on the LOS

Y=TE: lines up inline w/ OL on the LOS. Is an eligible receiver by formation, can not be covered up

z=flanker: flanker lines up on the same side as the TE, off of the LOS

F=Flex/H-back: TE that lines up anywhere other than inline

The slot however is an area of the field, not a position. The slot is the area between Split End and the OL, behind the LOS. The slot can be occupied by any eligible player. There is no slotback position in the NFL. In route concepts the slot is referred to as s or u.
Bennett was our primary slot receiver. You're slot receiver is your inside receiver. It's not an area on the field. At this point you're talking just to talk. Most of the things you're saying aren't even relevant.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Bennett was our primary slot receiver. You're slot receiver is your inside receiver. It's not an area on the field. At this point you're talking just to talk. Most of the things you're saying aren't even relevant.
No I'm not, you're the one building the strawman by creating a position that doesn't exist. Find me one, just one, nfl depth chart that has a slot WR listed as a position. Or find me an NFL player whose position is listed as slot WR. The purpose of lining a WR in the slot (again its an area of the field, not a position) is that against a base defense you force the WLB or Safety to come out and cover a WR. Against a nickel you have a teams #3 CB covering a WR. You line up your #1 or #2 WR in the slot often times b/c they have a matchup advantage in doing so. The Patriots who play a lot of ACE formation (2 TEs, 2 WRs, 1back) sets, will play WR2 at SE, TE1 at Y, and then mix/match their F/WR1 to find the most advantageous matchup. This results in their best WR Wes Welker lining up against LBs or #3 CBs and often getting a free release. The Pats best WR is their WR most utilized in the slot. The Giants WR2 moves inside in 3 WR sets while their WR3 lines up at flanker, again to create the most advantageous matchup. There is no Slot WR position in the NFL. The slot is an area of the field, just like the flat is an area of the field.

DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
No I'm not, you're the one building the strawman by creating a position that doesn't exist. Find me one, just one, nfl depth chart that has a slot WR listed as a position. Or find me an NFL player whose position is listed as slot WR. The purpose of lining a WR in the slot (again its an area of the field, not a position) is that against a base defense you force the WLB or Safety to come out and cover a WR. Against a nickel you have a teams #3 CB covering a WR. You line up your #1 or #2 WR in the slot often times b/c they have a matchup advantage in doing so. The Patriots who play a lot of ACE formation (2 TEs, 2 WRs, 1back) sets, will play WR2 at SE, TE1 at Y, and then mix/match their F/WR1 to find the most advantageous matchup. This results in their best WR Wes Welker lining up against LBs or #3 CBs and often getting a free release. The Pats best WR is their WR most utilized in the slot. The Giants WR2 moves inside in 3 WR sets while their WR3 lines up at flanker, again to create the most advantageous matchup. There is no Slot WR position in the NFL. The slot is an area of the field, just like the flat is an area of the field.
So you're saying the slot position does not exist? What position on the field is the slot receiver?
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
So you're saying the slot position does not exist?
That's exactly what I'm saying the slot position does not exist, There is no probowl/all pro slot WR. There is no position listing for slot WR. The slot only exists in route concepts as a way to create matchups. Any eligible player who lines up on the weakside of the formation behind the LOS is lined up in the "slot".

Edit: if the slot WR position existed, then we wouldn't see TEs, RBs, WR1 & WR2 lined up there. Its like saying that Shea McClellin is playing LB b/c he's standing up and moving up and down the line. He's not, he's still playing DL, he just happens to be moving around.

bears2308

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we gave a 6th for Bess I would be happy. He's more reliable then Bennett. Unless MLB, OT, OG, and TE are addressed in free-agency and the first 3 rounds I see no reason in drafting a WR until the 4th unless a burner/slot guy with a ton of upside falls in our lap.
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jerry Angelo were here, he'd trade our 2nd for Devin Aromashodu, after drafting some small school O-Lineman in the first.
Bears54

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Hmmm.... Reply with quote

I like Brandon Tate as well...Like him coming out of North Carolina
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmmm.... Reply with quote

Bears54 wrote:
I like Brandon Tate as well...Like him coming out of North Carolina

I'd be totally cool with bringing in Tate. I think he could fill the deep threat / KR role for us pretty well.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
What is w/ everyone's obsession w/ replacing Bennett. There were 9, 9 #3 WRs who produced more than him this year
9 slot receivers?
9 #3 WRs. It rules out guys like Victor Cruz and Wes Welker who are #1s who spend most of their time in the slot to take advantage of matchups, but would completely screw the curve. The vast majority of #3 WRs produced w/in a 100 yards of each other right around where Bennett is.
Where does he rank when you factor in players who played the position he did?
#9 since he played #3 WR. Unless you think there are more than 32 #3 WRs. Its not even close to an apples to apples comparison otherwise. You might as well ask to compare him to every WR in the NFL since every #1 and #2 in the NFL plays the slot as well.
#3 WR isn't a position. The reason why a lot of teams put good receivers at the slot is because like you said it's a matchup advantage. Our guy isnt taking advantage of that. We could use a guy that can.

Much of that last year was scheme. Tice didn't use what Bennett does best much at all (the short middle in patterns designed for YAC). The WCO is a perfect fit for the things Bennett does well. Bennett's production the prior few years under Martz which used many of the same shorter routes as Trestman will was more than adequate given his role.
I agree that he seems to be a good fit. I don't want to invest a lot for another WR. I just think the 5 years of excuses for Bennett are getting to be a bit much.
What excuses? He had the 8th highest production for a #2 WR in 2009. He's produced every year to to the top half of WRs in his role. People expect no matter what role you play to be a 1000 yard WR, well that just doesn't happen to guys that aren't #1 WRs, which no one has ever claimed him to be. I've said the same thing about him since day 1, he's Bobby Ingram, and just like Ingram, people want to run him out of town.
Bear fans never "ran" Ingram out of town. We loved the guy. He was much more productive than Bennett and another team decided to pay him more.

Bennett is not a problem but he gets hurt a lot and disappeared for much of the year. So people, naturally, are looking for him to earn his salary no one is particulary "obsessed" by getting rid of him. Other than one guy.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
This team has enough needs that we do not need to manufacture needs in positions where we have a solid player like Bennett.

Why not put the resources into the OL and watch the entire offense, including Bennett, get better.
Plugging Knox back into the offense would make it all better, too. Or someone else with speed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: