Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Possible Slot WRs to sign this offseason!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bears54


Joined: 28 Nov 2007
Posts: 928
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Possible Slot WRs to sign this offseason!!!! Reply with quote

I know LB, OL, and TE are positions we need to address this offseason. Assuming we address those positions in free agency or via trade, I was concerned about our slot WR position.

I believe we need someone who can help Marshall and Cutler out and stretch the field for the rest of receiving core. I was looking at some possible free agents and possible slot WRs that we could trade for that wouldnt cost more than a 5th or 6th round pick in this years draft.

Let me start off by listing some big price tag WRs that would cost a good change of money but still a possiblilty we could sign them.

-Wes Welker
-Mike Wallace
-Greg Jennings


Now 2nd tier Slot WRs that would could sign that wouldnt break the bank and we could easily afford.

-Titus Young
- Danny Amendola
- Devone Bess (via trade/ 5th or 6th round pick)
- Kyle Williams -49ers (via trade/ 6th round pick)

With Hester looking for a fresh start possibly with a new team, Knox possibly never playing football again, Bennett being injuried the last 2 years, being a possesion WR, I think we need someone else. That just leaves Jeffery and Marshall.

If I had to pick someone from this group, not wanting to break the bank because of other positions that need to be addressed, my pick would be between Danny Amendola and Kyle Williams.

What do you guys think?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22835
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would much rather draft a guy in the mid-to-late rounds to back up Bennett in the slot than spending money on these guys.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2014…Lance Briggs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CBears019


Moderator
Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 16705
Location: Darien, IL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Slot WRs to sign this offseason!!!! Reply with quote

Bears54 wrote:


-Wes Welker
-Mike Wallace
-Greg Jennings



-Titus Young
- Danny Amendola
- Devone Bess (via trade/ 5th or 6th round pick)
- Kyle Williams -49ers (via trade/ 6th round pick)



Like you said with the first 3, way too expensive. They would be great additions, but that would likely mean no more Henry Melton, who is far more important than a slot WR.

The other 4 - Young has been claimed and has more red flags than China, Amendola is reportedly looking for $6M+, and there's no reason to trade for the other two guys when we have so few draft picks to begin with.

I agree with MM90, let's just draft one of our own guys in the late rounds. I'm not opposed to signing a vet, just think it will end up costing too much considering we have more superior needs.
_________________
👮

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 36 Yds: 364 TD: 4

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 19294
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is w/ everyone's obsession w/ replacing Bennett. There were 9, 9 #3 WRs who produced more than him this year
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5652
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
What is w/ everyone's obsession w/ replacing Bennett. There were 9, 9 #3 WRs who produced more than him this year
9 slot receivers?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 19294
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
What is w/ everyone's obsession w/ replacing Bennett. There were 9, 9 #3 WRs who produced more than him this year
9 slot receivers?
9 #3 WRs. It rules out guys like Victor Cruz and Wes Welker who are #1s who spend most of their time in the slot to take advantage of matchups, but would completely screw the curve. The vast majority of #3 WRs produced w/in a 100 yards of each other right around where Bennett is.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5652
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
What is w/ everyone's obsession w/ replacing Bennett. There were 9, 9 #3 WRs who produced more than him this year
9 slot receivers?
9 #3 WRs. It rules out guys like Victor Cruz and Wes Welker who are #1s who spend most of their time in the slot to take advantage of matchups, but would completely screw the curve. The vast majority of #3 WRs produced w/in a 100 yards of each other right around where Bennett is.
Where does he rank when you factor in players who played the position he did?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 19294
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
What is w/ everyone's obsession w/ replacing Bennett. There were 9, 9 #3 WRs who produced more than him this year
9 slot receivers?
9 #3 WRs. It rules out guys like Victor Cruz and Wes Welker who are #1s who spend most of their time in the slot to take advantage of matchups, but would completely screw the curve. The vast majority of #3 WRs produced w/in a 100 yards of each other right around where Bennett is.
Where does he rank when you factor in players who played the position he did?
#9 since he played #3 WR. Unless you think there are more than 32 #3 WRs. Its not even close to an apples to apples comparison otherwise. You might as well ask to compare him to every WR in the NFL since every #1 and #2 in the NFL plays the slot as well.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5652
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
What is w/ everyone's obsession w/ replacing Bennett. There were 9, 9 #3 WRs who produced more than him this year
9 slot receivers?
9 #3 WRs. It rules out guys like Victor Cruz and Wes Welker who are #1s who spend most of their time in the slot to take advantage of matchups, but would completely screw the curve. The vast majority of #3 WRs produced w/in a 100 yards of each other right around where Bennett is.
Where does he rank when you factor in players who played the position he did?
#9 since he played #3 WR. Unless you think there are more than 32 #3 WRs. Its not even close to an apples to apples comparison otherwise. You might as well ask to compare him to every WR in the NFL since every #1 and #2 in the NFL plays the slot as well.
#3 WR isn't a position. The reason why a lot of teams put good receivers at the slot is because like you said it's a matchup advantage. Our guy isnt taking advantage of that. We could use a guy that can.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10972
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
What is w/ everyone's obsession w/ replacing Bennett. There were 9, 9 #3 WRs who produced more than him this year
9 slot receivers?
9 #3 WRs. It rules out guys like Victor Cruz and Wes Welker who are #1s who spend most of their time in the slot to take advantage of matchups, but would completely screw the curve. The vast majority of #3 WRs produced w/in a 100 yards of each other right around where Bennett is.
Where does he rank when you factor in players who played the position he did?
#9 since he played #3 WR. Unless you think there are more than 32 #3 WRs. Its not even close to an apples to apples comparison otherwise. You might as well ask to compare him to every WR in the NFL since every #1 and #2 in the NFL plays the slot as well.
#3 WR isn't a position. The reason why a lot of teams put good receivers at the slot is because like you said it's a matchup advantage. Our guy isnt taking advantage of that. We could use a guy that can.

Much of that last year was scheme. Tice didn't use what Bennett does best much at all (the short middle in patterns designed for YAC). The WCO is a perfect fit for the things Bennett does well. Bennett's production the prior few years under Martz which used many of the same shorter routes as Trestman will was more than adequate given his role.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5652
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
What is w/ everyone's obsession w/ replacing Bennett. There were 9, 9 #3 WRs who produced more than him this year
9 slot receivers?
9 #3 WRs. It rules out guys like Victor Cruz and Wes Welker who are #1s who spend most of their time in the slot to take advantage of matchups, but would completely screw the curve. The vast majority of #3 WRs produced w/in a 100 yards of each other right around where Bennett is.
Where does he rank when you factor in players who played the position he did?
#9 since he played #3 WR. Unless you think there are more than 32 #3 WRs. Its not even close to an apples to apples comparison otherwise. You might as well ask to compare him to every WR in the NFL since every #1 and #2 in the NFL plays the slot as well.
#3 WR isn't a position. The reason why a lot of teams put good receivers at the slot is because like you said it's a matchup advantage. Our guy isnt taking advantage of that. We could use a guy that can.

Much of that last year was scheme. Tice didn't use what Bennett does best much at all (the short middle in patterns designed for YAC). The WCO is a perfect fit for the things Bennett does well. Bennett's production the prior few years under Martz which used many of the same shorter routes as Trestman will was more than adequate given his role.
I agree that he seems to be a good fit. I don't want to invest a lot for another WR. I just think the 5 years of excuses for Bennett are getting to be a bit much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 19294
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
What is w/ everyone's obsession w/ replacing Bennett. There were 9, 9 #3 WRs who produced more than him this year
9 slot receivers?
9 #3 WRs. It rules out guys like Victor Cruz and Wes Welker who are #1s who spend most of their time in the slot to take advantage of matchups, but would completely screw the curve. The vast majority of #3 WRs produced w/in a 100 yards of each other right around where Bennett is.
Where does he rank when you factor in players who played the position he did?
#9 since he played #3 WR. Unless you think there are more than 32 #3 WRs. Its not even close to an apples to apples comparison otherwise. You might as well ask to compare him to every WR in the NFL since every #1 and #2 in the NFL plays the slot as well.
#3 WR isn't a position. The reason why a lot of teams put good receivers at the slot is because like you said it's a matchup advantage. Our guy isnt taking advantage of that. We could use a guy that can.

Much of that last year was scheme. Tice didn't use what Bennett does best much at all (the short middle in patterns designed for YAC). The WCO is a perfect fit for the things Bennett does well. Bennett's production the prior few years under Martz which used many of the same shorter routes as Trestman will was more than adequate given his role.
I agree that he seems to be a good fit. I don't want to invest a lot for another WR. I just think the 5 years of excuses for Bennett are getting to be a bit much.
What excuses? He had the 8th highest production for a #2 WR in 2009. He's produced every year to to the top half of WRs in his role. People expect no matter what role you play to be a 1000 yard WR, well that just doesn't happen to guys that aren't #1 WRs, which no one has ever claimed him to be. I've said the same thing about him since day 1, he's Bobby Ingram, and just like Ingram, people want to run him out of town.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5652
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
What is w/ everyone's obsession w/ replacing Bennett. There were 9, 9 #3 WRs who produced more than him this year
9 slot receivers?
9 #3 WRs. It rules out guys like Victor Cruz and Wes Welker who are #1s who spend most of their time in the slot to take advantage of matchups, but would completely screw the curve. The vast majority of #3 WRs produced w/in a 100 yards of each other right around where Bennett is.
Where does he rank when you factor in players who played the position he did?
#9 since he played #3 WR. Unless you think there are more than 32 #3 WRs. Its not even close to an apples to apples comparison otherwise. You might as well ask to compare him to every WR in the NFL since every #1 and #2 in the NFL plays the slot as well.
#3 WR isn't a position. The reason why a lot of teams put good receivers at the slot is because like you said it's a matchup advantage. Our guy isnt taking advantage of that. We could use a guy that can.

Much of that last year was scheme. Tice didn't use what Bennett does best much at all (the short middle in patterns designed for YAC). The WCO is a perfect fit for the things Bennett does well. Bennett's production the prior few years under Martz which used many of the same shorter routes as Trestman will was more than adequate given his role.
I agree that he seems to be a good fit. I don't want to invest a lot for another WR. I just think the 5 years of excuses for Bennett are getting to be a bit much.
What excuses? He had the 8th highest production for a #2 WR in 2009. He's produced every year to to the top half of WRs in his role. People expect no matter what role you play to be a 1000 yard WR, well that just doesn't happen to guys that aren't #1 WRs, which no one has ever claimed him to be. I've said the same thing about him since day 1, he's Bobby Ingram, and just like Ingram, people want to run him out of town.
His production has gone down every year. Every year people say "this is his year" "this year he will breakout" Then every year his production drops. He has the easiest matchhup of all our WRs. Slot receivers can produce a lot more then he does.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 19294
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
His production has gone down every year. Every year people say "this is his year" "this year he will breakout" Then every year his production drops. He has the easiest matchhup of all our WRs. Slot receivers can produce a lot more then he does.
His production went down from 2009 to 2010 b/c he went from being a starter to having to fight his way up from the depth chart. He also played in 2 less games. From 2010 to 2011 he played in 3 less games due to a potentially fatal injury, and was 3rd on the team in catches. His production in 2012 was damn near identical to 2011 (6 yards difference). No excuses need to be made, but I'm just reasonable I guess...
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5652
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
His production has gone down every year. Every year people say "this is his year" "this year he will breakout" Then every year his production drops. He has the easiest matchhup of all our WRs. Slot receivers can produce a lot more then he does.
His production went down from 2009 to 2010 b/c he went from being a starter to having to fight his way up from the depth chart. He also played in 2 less games. From 2010 to 2011 he played in 3 less games due to a potentially fatal injury, and was 3rd on the team in catches. His production in 2012 was damn near identical to 2011 (6 yards difference). No excuses need to be made, but I'm just reasonable I guess...
Actually bringing up the injuries in an excuse. We can get 400 yards and 2 TDs out of a min contract guy. I personally think we should keep Bennett but if the team feels they want more production from that position you can't blame them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group