Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rob Ryan and Romeo Crennel leading candidates for Saints
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Rob Ryan and Romeo Crennel leading candidates for Saints Reply with quote

@Gil_Brandt wrote:
I'm hearing Rob Ryan and Romeo Crennel are @Saints top DC choices to run 3-4.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000136374/article/rob-ryan-romeo-crennel-top-choices-for-saints-dc-job

Meh. Not a fan of Rob Ryan. I'd be OK with Crennel, but I think we'd be better off swiping a positional coach from the 49ers or Ravens.

What say you?

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob Ryan and Romeo Crennel leading candidates for Saints Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
@Gil_Brandt wrote:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000136374/article/rob-ryan-romeo-crennel-top-choices-for-saints-dc-job

Meh. Not a fan of Rob Ryan. I'd be OK with Crennel, but I think we'd be better off swiping a positional coach from the 49ers or Ravens.

What say you?

I actually would contend that if you're installing a 3-4 from fresh (i.e. making the transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4), you want an already established 3-4 defensive coordinator. Making the transition smoothly is difficult enough, but doing so while also having to develop your own playbook and get the feel for calling your own plays is asking A LOT of a first time coordinator. The guy who is brought in to establish the new scheme may not ultimately be the guy that is the long-term option, but how many 3-4's have been successfully implemented of late by head coaches or defensive coordinators that didn't have hands-on experience running a 3-4 themselves previously.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Rob Ryan!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob Ryan and Romeo Crennel leading candidates for Saints Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
@Gil_Brandt wrote:

What say you?

I actually would contend that if you're installing a 3-4 from fresh (i.e. making the transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4), you want an already established 3-4 defensive coordinator. Making the transition smoothly is difficult enough, but doing so while also having to develop your own playbook and get the feel for calling your own plays is asking A LOT of a first time coordinator. The guy who is brought in to establish the new scheme may not ultimately be the guy that is the long-term option, but how many 3-4's have been successfully implemented of late by head coaches or defensive coordinators that didn't have hands-on experience running a 3-4 themselves previously.

I just think Ryan was "meh" in Dallas with more talent than he'll have in New Orleans, and Crennel's scheme doesn't really fit the personnel the Saints have.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope its Romeo, i think he'd be good there

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not buying it. Why would Payton wait until after the Super Bowl to hire a guy who was already available? Or maybe he didn't like what he saw out of his candidates in the Bowl?

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
green24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ryan would probably be the better choice. This defense needs a better leader.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
JMG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Rob Ryan would probably be the better choice. This defense needs a better leader.
Yeah that's how I feel.

I hope they hire Rob. Glad to see the Saints switching to a 3-4, I am not a fan of 4-3 defenses.

[]_[] Family
candyman93

Location: The Man, The Myth, The Legend El Ramster on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleveland rejects

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
It'll be a cold day in hell when I read a thread title.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought they might be looking at tomsula. glad they arent

new sig... sorry alex
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
thought they might be looking at tomsula. glad they arent

That is who I want them to target Crying or Very sad

Robust Perry wrote:
They were the dirtiest organization in football

In reference to the Saints.
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crennel looks out of the picture. I think that this is a good thing. It would have taken a few years to acquire the talent needed to have a 2-gap defense. Might as well have continued with Spags.

As of now, it is a two dog race between Rob Ryan and Todd Grantham. The Saints are also considering a third candidate but have to get permission from the team first. They have already been blocked by the 49ers to speak to Tomsula and Donatell. My guess is that it would be Keith Butler (LB coach; Steelers- unlikely considering Steelers block everything), Ted Monachino (LB coach; Ravens), or Teryl Austin (DB coach; Ravens)

I think that Ryan or Grantham would be a good pick because the Saints personel would work best in a 3-4 one-gap defense.
tom cody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ryan would be a good fit for the Saints. He'll do a lot to improve that defense.
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob Ryan and Romeo Crennel leading candidates for Saints Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
The LBC wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
@Gil_Brandt wrote:

What say you?

I just think Ryan was "meh" in Dallas with more talent than he'll have in New Orleans, and Crennel's scheme doesn't really fit the personnel the Saints have.

to be fair, the personnel New Orleans has needs to change in the first place. there's only 3 guys who I would trust as starters in the 3-4 for them: Curtis Lofton, Cam Jordan and David Hawthorne. Those 3 are perfect for Crennel's scheme at ILB and 5-tech LDE.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Pookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
Crennel looks out of the picture. I think that this is a good thing. It would have taken a few years to acquire the talent needed to have a 2-gap defense. Might as well have continued with Spags.

As of now, it is a two dog race between Rob Ryan and Todd Grantham. The Saints are also considering a third candidate but have to get permission from the team first. They have already been blocked by the 49ers to speak to Tomsula and Donatell. My guess is that it would be Keith Butler (LB coach; Steelers- unlikely considering Steelers block everything), Ted Monachino (LB coach; Ravens), or Teryl Austin (DB coach; Ravens)

I think that Ryan or Grantham would be a good pick because the Saints personel would work best in a 3-4 one-gap defense.

I haven't heard anything about Tomsula being blocked?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: