Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

10 Free Agents "You'd" like to see the Steelers go
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 24552
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Chicago Bears: QB Jason Campbell, WR Johnny Knox, DT Amobi Okoye, OG Chilo Rachal, Khalil Bell RB.


News Forum makes it sound like Knox's NFL career is over
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 12296
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
Chicago Bears: QB Jason Campbell, WR Johnny Knox, DT Amobi Okoye, OG Chilo Rachal, Khalil Bell RB.


News Forum makes it sound like Knox's NFL career is over


I can't disagree with that either. I reluctantly put his name on the list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Curtain


Joined: 24 Sep 2012
Posts: 477
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Peyton Hillis has no career to resurrect. His one good year was a fluke. He is not better than Redman. Neither is Shonn Greene.


I've heard numerous people throw around Hillis' name for the Steelers. I still don't understand it one bit. Like you said his one good year was an obvious fluke, and it wasn't even that good to begin with.

We already have enough slow RB's on our team. Hillis adds nothing, since he's Redman at best.

If they want to add something, add a freaking home run threat. We need a RB who can actually break a play here and there. Don't add another "power back" since they are useless behind our line, and Hillis is useless behind just about any line to begin with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 12296
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
Quote:
Peyton Hillis has no career to resurrect. His one good year was a fluke. He is not better than Redman. Neither is Shonn Greene.


I've heard numerous people throw around Hillis' name for the Steelers. I still don't understand it one bit. Like you said his one good year was an obvious fluke, and it wasn't even that good to begin with.

We already have enough slow RB's on our team. Hillis adds nothing, since he's Redman at best.

If they want to add something, add a freaking home run threat. We need a RB who can actually break a play here and there. Don't add another "power back" since they are useless behind our line, and Hillis is useless behind just about any line to begin with.


Despite him being on my list of 'Potential Free Agents' I actually agree with you about Hillis. I don't necessarily think a Power Back/Bruiser like Shonn Greene can't be successful on our team. However, I do agree that we need a home run threat.

I also put Kevin Smith on the list because I think he's going to be cheap. The issue with him is the struggle with injuries. I remember him being compared to Barry Sanders when he was playing for UCF.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
popie70


Joined: 18 Dec 2010
Posts: 1063
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Neither is Shonn Greene.



I gotta disagree with that. Shonn Greene still had a 1,000+ yard season on that crappy NYJ offense.


There passing offense is crappy but the o-line is pretty good. They have two studs on the o-line in Ferguson and Mangold. Brandon Moore is a pretty good guard. There RT situation is terrible but he is a product of a pretty good o-line.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49318
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Neither is Shonn Greene.



I gotta disagree with that. Shonn Greene still had a 1,000+ yard season on that crappy NYJ offense.


Anyone can put up 1000 yards anymore. 1000 yards is not impressive.

I was a Shonn Greene fan coming out, but the fact is he is VERY slow, has no change of direction ability and is easier to bring down than Redman.

At the least, its a lateral move, but Ill still stick with Redman as our short yardage back. We know what we have with him and is better at his specialty.

In the end, neither of those backs are good fits for the running in the ZBS.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 12296
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Neither is Shonn Greene.



I gotta disagree with that. Shonn Greene still had a 1,000+ yard season on that crappy NYJ offense.


Anyone can put up 1000 yards anymore. 1000 yards is not impressive.

I was a Shonn Greene fan coming out, but the fact is he is VERY slow, has no change of direction ability and is easier to bring down than Redman.

At the least, its a lateral move, but Ill still stick with Redman as our short yardage back. We know what we have with him and is better at his specialty.

In the end, neither of those backs are good fits for the running in the ZBS.


Oh really? You might wanna go ask Michael Turner about that or better yet, ask Dwyer & Redman.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49318
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
So this morning I read an article on the NFL's website that listed 'Potential free agents' for each team. Because I have nothing better to do at my desk job, I took the time to jot down some of the FA's I thought were the 'sexiest' names on the market. I only listed guys I actually think MIGHT end up on the market and MIGHT have some value. The guys I was either, unsure about, unfamiliar with, didn't think were worth it or wouldn't actually be free agents, I didn't list. ex. Joe Flacco & Dannell Ellerbe

Arizona Cardinals: LB Quentin Groves
Atlanta Falcons: LT Sam Baker, S Chris Hope
Baltimore Ravens: LB Paul Kruger , OT Bryant McKinnie
Buffalo Bills: S Jairus Bird, RB Tashard Choice, LB Shawne Merriman, CB Leodis McKelvin
Chicago Bears: QB Jason Campbell, WR Johnny Knox, DT Amobi Okoye, OG Chilo Rachal, Khalil Bell RB
Cincinnati Bengals: K Josh Brown, QB Bruce Gronkowski
Cleveland Browns: WR Joshua Cribbs, RB Brandon Jackson, WR Mohamed Massaquoi, TE Benjamin Watson
Dallas Cowboys: Victor Butler LB, RB Felix Jones, LB Ernie Sims, LB Anthony Spencer
Denver Broncos: RT Ryan Clady, DT Ty Warren
Detroit Lions: OT Gosder Cherilus, LB Justin Durant, WR Stefan Logan, RB Kevin Smith
Green Bay Packers: RB Cedric Benson
Houston Texans: LB Connor Barwin, CB Stanford Routt, Barrett Ruud
Indianapolis Colts: WR Donnie Avery, OT Winston Justice, RB Mewelde Moore
Jacksonville Jaguars: FB Greg Jones
Kansas City Chiefs: P Dustin Colquitt, RB Peyton Hillis, LB Brandon Siler
Miami Dolphins:RB Reggie Bush, K Nate Kaeding, QB Matt Moore
Minnesota Vikings: LB Jasper Brinkley, OT Phil Loadholt, WR Jerome Simpson
New Orleans Saints: OL Jermon Bushrod, DE Turk McBride
NY Giants: RB Ahmad Bradshaw, S Kenny Phillips, LB Keith Rivers
NY Jets: WR Braylon Edwards, RB Shonn Greene, TE Dustin Keller, OL Jason Smith
Oakland Raiders: P Shane Lechler, LB Phillip Wheeler
Philadelphia Eagles: CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
San Diego Chargers: LB Antwan Barnes, RB Jackie Battle, LB Shaun Phillips
San Fransisco 49ers: LB Larry Grant, RB Brandon Jacobs
St. Louis Rams: RB Steven Jackson, WR Steve Smith
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: TE Dallas Clark, OL Jeremy Trueblood
Tennessee Titans: TE Jared Cook, LB Will Witherspoon
Washington Redskins: OL Kory Lichtensteiger

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Reggie Bush is on the list as a 'return guy' as is Stefan Logan. Moore is on the list because he has been here before, perhaps a 'running game jump start'.



1) The bolded are players Id be interested in. There are a few others I like, such as Jarius Byrd, but he will cost way too much, and the Bills will never let him go.

2) Serious question...do you know anything about the ZBS?

Not trying to be mean, but you have alot of RBs and OLIneman listed that are not good fits for it at all. We already have enough poor fits for it on this team as it is.

3) You left Andy Levitre off the list, who would probably help us out the most. We wont get him, but the interest should be there.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
popie70


Joined: 18 Dec 2010
Posts: 1063
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Neither is Shonn Greene.



I gotta disagree with that. Shonn Greene still had a 1,000+ yard season on that crappy NYJ offense.


Anyone can put up 1000 yards anymore. 1000 yards is not impressive.

I was a Shonn Greene fan coming out, but the fact is he is VERY slow, has no change of direction ability and is easier to bring down than Redman.

At the least, its a lateral move, but Ill still stick with Redman as our short yardage back. We know what we have with him and is better at his specialty.

In the end, neither of those backs are good fits for the running in the ZBS.


Oh really? You might wanna go ask Michael Turner about that or better yet, ask Dwyer & Redman.


That's because Michael Turner has been run into the ground the last couple of years and dwyer and redman are average at best. 1000 yards in a season is an average of 62.5 yds a game. That's not super impressive anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49318
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Neither is Shonn Greene.



I gotta disagree with that. Shonn Greene still had a 1,000+ yard season on that crappy NYJ offense.


Anyone can put up 1000 yards anymore. 1000 yards is not impressive.

I was a Shonn Greene fan coming out, but the fact is he is VERY slow, has no change of direction ability and is easier to bring down than Redman.

At the least, its a lateral move, but Ill still stick with Redman as our short yardage back. We know what we have with him and is better at his specialty.

In the end, neither of those backs are good fits for the running in the ZBS.


Oh really? You might wanna go ask Michael Turner about that or better yet, ask Dwyer & Redman.



Way to cherry pick one year where Michael Turner doesnt have 1000 yards and two backup running backs in an effort to get your point over.

Awesome logic.

There are alot of average-medicore backs who have had 1000 yard seasons.

If Redman was a starter and got 250 or so carries, I guarantee he could do it too.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 12296
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:


Way to cherry pick one year where Michael Turner doesnt have 1000 yards and two backup running backs in an effort to get your point over.

Awesome logic.

There are alot of average-medicore backs who have had 1000 yard seasons.

If Redman was a starter and got 250 or so carries, I guarantee he could do it too.


I didn't cherry pick ****. The falcons had one of the best offenses this season yet their RB couldn't get 1000 yards. The Jets had one of the worst and theirs did. At one point our team was 6-3 and our RBs sucked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49318
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:


Way to cherry pick one year where Michael Turner doesnt have 1000 yards and two backup running backs in an effort to get your point over.

Awesome logic.

There are alot of average-medicore backs who have had 1000 yard seasons.

If Redman was a starter and got 250 or so carries, I guarantee he could do it too.


I didn't cherry pick ****. The falcons had one of the best offenses this season yet their RB couldn't get 1000 yards. The Jets had one of the worst and theirs did. At one point our team was 6-3 and our RBs sucked.


You told me to look at a RB who has had several 1000+ yard seasons, and just because he didnt have one THIS year, that supposedly proves your point?

And then to go even further, you cherry picked two backup running backs who dont even get enough carries to get up that high, and play behind one of the worst run blocking OLines in the league.

The entire point is irrelevant anyway, because I never said every back gets to 1000 yards, but 1000 yards is nothing special anymore. Total yards is overrated anyway. YPA is much more telling. Bulk stats are nice on paper but dont say anyhing about how efficient a player actually was.

For example, what if 2 RBs finished with 1000 yards....one player did it with 200 carries, and the other one 250. One was clearly more efficient despite the misleading 1000 yards bulk.

Greene had under 4 YPC. He had a few nice days but most of the season, was part of the reason the Jets offense was so bad.

And even further than that, watching the games is. Greene has always been a very average player and while he has his moments, is inconsistent and not that good. Most Jets fans will tell you the same.

I have nothing against Greene, but he is not an upgrade over anything we currently have and is not a good fit for the ZBS.

In the end, thats what it comes down to.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 12296
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except they weren't back ups. Dwyer started for a lot of this season.

I get what you're saying but just because the Jets had one of the worst offensive lines in the league, perhaps only second to the Eagles, that makes Shonn Greene a bad RB? Honestly, I disagree, I think it makes him a better RB.

I do agree, though I hadn't thought of that side of it before, that he doesn't fit the Zone Blocking Scheme, therefore, I agree, we shouldn't sign him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 12296
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

2) Serious question...do you know anything about the ZBS?

Not trying to be mean, but you have alot of RBs and OLIneman listed that are not good fits for it at all. We already have enough poor fits for it on this team as it is.

3) You left Andy Levitre off the list, who would probably help us out the most. We wont get him, but the interest should be there.


First, that's a very fair question. I know a lot about football, but there are some things, I'm man enough to admit I don't. Zone Blocking is one of those things I don't quite have full understanding of. (I'll do some research)

I ALMOST added Levitre to the list but I wasn't quite sure Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kethnaab


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 9793
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:


Way to cherry pick one year where Michael Turner doesnt have 1000 yards and two backup running backs in an effort to get your point over.


I didn't cherry pick ****. The falcons had one of the best offenses this season yet their RB couldn't get 1000 yards. The Jets had one of the worst and theirs did. At one point our team was 6-3 and our RBs sucked.


1. Ryan threw for 4700 yards, and the Falcons had a pair of 1200+ yard WRs. Their focus wasn't the running game, by any stretch. so having one of the best offenses was a result of their 6th ranked passing attack rather than their 29th ranked rushing attack. That offense was Ryan to Gonzalez, White and JJones.

2. Blalock and Clabo are really the only good OL on that team now. McClure is ancient, Baker is a massive bust, and I don't think they had any continuity at RG.

3. Turner is 30, has led the NFL in carries in 2 of the last 4 seasons. Since 2008, he's one of only 4 RBs to put up 1400+ rushing attempts. 30-year old bruising RBs simply don't last with that type of workload

4. When we were 6-3, we had just put up 158, 140, 167, and 123 yards rushing in the previous games. Dwyer put up 100+ on 2 separate occasions with only 17 carries, and Redman almost hit 150.

5. The Jets nearly ran the ball 500 times this season. Only a few teams ran more. Their OL was far from one of the worst. Brick and Mangold are pure studs, and both Moore and Slausen were solid in the running game. Their primary problem with pressure was their sloppy, undrafted RT

Dwyer and Redman are backups. They are backup-quality. They obviously weren't starters for more than a few games.

1000 yards only seems special becauase we don't have a RB hit that as often as we used to. 15 or 16 make it every season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group