Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

10 Free Agents "You'd" like to see the Steelers go
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelerfreak76

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: 10 Free Agents "You'd" like to see the Steelers go Reply with quote

Like the title says list your top 10 free agents, that you want the Steelers to go after. Please keep in mind when making your list, that the Steelers rarely if every go after the big names. So a list of Jake Long, Greg Jennings, Shaun Phillips, and other top free agents is a fantasy list. That's not what I want, I want a realistic list of players that could sign.

Here's my list
1. Terrance Knighton

IMO their isn't anyone currently on the roster that is ready to take over full time at nose. Sure the Steelers could start McLendon and rotate in Ta'amu, but for me nose tackle is too important of a position to go into the season with a question mark. I hear a lot of people saying put Ziggy Hood there, from what I've seen out of him at DE. NO THANKS!!! Knighton is young and could thrive in the Steelers D.

2. Rey Maualuga

Signing Maualuga helps the Steelers in 2 way. One it gives them a young inside linebacker to pair with Timmons. Second by signing Maualuga is creates a hole in the middle of Cincinnati defense. Maualuga is coming off is best season and may have priced himself out of Pittsburgh. However I think with having Troy here, that may sway him to Pittsburgh for less than market value.

3. Chris Clemons

Assuming the rumors are true and the Steelers release Ryan Clark, that creates a huge hole in the secondary. Clemons would fill that spot nicely and could benefit from playing with Troy. Clemons is sometimes questioned because he misses a tackle from time to time. But their is no questioning his skill in coverage.

4. Donnie Avery

Assuming we lose Wallace, I think Avery could be brought and be a good number 3 behind Brown and Sanders. Avery bounced back last year with 60 catches, after missing most of the 2011 season with injuries.

5. Brian Hoyer

Let's face it the Steelers can not go into next season with Leftwich and Batch as the backups. One of them fine, but not both. The Steelers liked Hoyer enough to bring him in when Leftwich went down. I think he could be a decent backup for Ben and have Uncle Charlie at #3 just in case.

6. Patrick Chung

It seems lately that it's not how many interceptions will Troy have, but how many games will he miss due to injuries. I'm not saying release Troy, but at least bring in someone who can step in when he goes down. Chung may not be the best option, but he falls in the Steelers price range.

7. Peyton Hillis

The 3 headed monster of Mendenhall, Dwyer, and Redman single handedly cost the Steelers a game. At times they look unstoppable and other times look like Fred Flintstone leaving his driveway. The Steelers need to cut ties and start fresh at RB and Hillis would be a nice building block to start.

8. Larry Grant

Grant would be much higher on my list, but I just see a team throwing the bank at him. So why did I put him on my list then? Simple, he's to good of a player for me not to include. I think their is an outside shot the Steelers could land Grant, but i'm not gonna count on it.

9. Louis Murphy

Murphy would compliment the other receivers on the roster well. He's not what every Steeler wants, that 6'5" 4.3 40 receiver. But he has decent height and could help round out the receiver core.

10. Brady Quinn

I know, I know. Why on earth would the Steelers want Brady Quinn. Let's face it If Ben goes down wouldn't it be nice to bring in someone with experience. That wasn't around during all 6 Super Bowl victories or Mr. Glass. Quinn is a terrible guy to have as your number 1, but I think he could keep the Steelers a float if something happened to Ben.

Well I showed you mine, so show me yours.

Last edited by steelerfreak76 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maualuga sucks!!!!!! He really really sucks. If the Steelers wanted a ILB who was slow, could not blitz or read a play, could not cover or shed blocks, then Maualuga would be that LB.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
steelerfreak76

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Maualuga sucks!!!!!! He really really sucks. If the Steelers wanted a ILB who was slow, could not blitz or read a play, could not cover or shed blocks, then Maualuga would be that LB.

IMO, he'd be a better option, then bringing back Larry Foote. I'm not saying give any of these players a long term deal. Maualuga would be a nice stop gap to Spence or a rookie yet to be drafted.

I'm sure when the Steelers signed Potsy away from the Jets a lot of people were thinking what's he going to do. He's a bust, nothing more than a bench player. How'd that workout again. I'm not saying he's the next Farrior, but sometimes a scheme change can do wonders for a player.

Like I said that's my top 10, what's yours. I don't expect everyone to like , honestly I don't care if anyone likes it. Those are the players we can afford and whom I think can help this team.
ImissEricGreen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Butller OLB Cowboys- always thought he was better suited to play ILB would be a great pickup, good instincts, very nice pass rusher.

DeAndre Levy, OLB, Lions.-Guy I wanted this guy coming out of college, projected as a 6th rd pick but was snatch in the 3rd

Jasper Brinkley, ILB, Vikings
Eben Britton, G, Jaguars
Dook

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how much money they want. Some of those guys are going to stay with their teams.

I'm okay with NT Knighton but I really wouldn't expect much from him.

Don't like Maualuga, yeah he's a decent LB but he was a Bengal and will probably get more than we can pay.

Not a fan of Grant or Quinn, just don't know about QB Hoyer, but I would like to get Clemons, Chung, Murphy, Hillis, and Avery if the price is right. Don't see it happening though.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love Knighton, but it's unlikely
Hell no to Maualuga. I'd rather have Foote.
Clemons wouldn't be a bad option
Avery is average-at-best
I'd rather draft a rookie than re-sign Hoyer
Chung won't happen... Where will we get that kind of money?
Hillis seems to be a one-year wonder...
Grant is very possible; love that idea
Murphy isn't anything special
Quinn? Are you serious Laughing
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My list:

QB - Matt Moore
WR - Ramses Barden
WR - Louis Murphy
TE - Jared Cook
OG - Matt Slauson
ILB - Jasper Brinkley
CB/KR - Leodis McKelvin
NT - Sammie Lee Hill
NT - Alan Branch
OLB - Connor Barwin

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
My list:

QB - Matt Moore
WR - Ramses Barden
WR - Louis Murphy
TE - Jared Cook
OG - Matt Slauson
ILB - Jasper Brinkley
CB/KR - Leodis McKelvin
NT - Sammie Lee Hill
NT - Alan Branch
OLB - Connor Barwin

Branch isn't going to play NT. Other than that, that's a very nice group of underrated players. Ben would love big man Barden and Cook is someone I would love to see in Black and Gold. Slauson would be a nice upgrade, although nothing great. Barwin would probably be unlikely.
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammie Lee Hill has really looked good this year. I would guess he will get a good contract. i really liked him coming out. I would think Detroit would bend over backwards to keep him.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
My list:

QB - Matt Moore
WR - Ramses Barden
WR - Louis Murphy
TE - Jared Cook
OG - Matt Slauson
ILB - Jasper Brinkley
CB/KR - Leodis McKelvin
NT - Sammie Lee Hill
NT - Alan Branch
OLB - Connor Barwin

Branch isn't going to play NT. Other than that, that's a very nice group of underrated players. Ben would love big man Barden and Cook is someone I would love to see in Black and Gold. Slauson would be a nice upgrade, although nothing great. Barwin would probably be unlikely.

Barwin is a big reach I agree but I figure I'd put him down since the Texans drafted Mercilius in the first round last year and I doubt he would resign with them. If the Steelers had some more cap room he would be one of my bigger targets. Barden is intriguing and he never really got an opportunity in NY. He's got an injury history though but I really like his size. McKelvin could replace Rainey as a KR and be in the nickel and dime package. Cook wore out his welcome in Tennessee and he should get many suitors in FA. With Heath's injury he's a guy that I wouldn't mind for them to get. However, as it has been said before with the Steelers over the cap who knows who they will be able to afford on the free agent market. I do think they will make some signings though. I would be surprised if they get shut out in free agency even with the cap situation.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of those...Hoyer and Grant would be nice additions.

William Moore would be nice, but would cost more than Clark currently does.

Roy Miller would be a nice option for NT. Always thought his best fit was 34 NT, and while he has been fairly average in Tampa, I think he could at the very least be a rotational guy for us or a stop gap.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
AdamMonroe53

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not free agents presently, if cut, I wouldn't mind the Steelers going after Michael Turner or Ahmad Bradshaw. I know they are big names, but their price should be fair and that's what Pittsburgh will look for. Hillis wouldn't be bad if not for that terrible off-the-field year he had where he just didn't care about football. We don't need that.

Beyond that Grant would be nice. Knighton would be awesome, but highly doubtful.

At WR Jerome Simpson or Mohamed Massaquoi would be nice additions.

Before the Super Bowl, I would have said TE Delanie Walker would be perfect, but after his performance I doubt he will be able to be had at the right Steeler price.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 Free Agents "You'd" like to see the Steeler Reply with quote

steelerfreak76 wrote:

Here's my list
1. Terrance Knighton
love it!

2. Rey Maualuga
yeah....no.

3. Chris Clemons
meh. If we release Ryan Clark, we're stupider than I thought we were.

4. Donnie Avery
Avery's not a bad dude, I'd consider bringing in Steve Smith (not THAT Steve Smith) and kicking the tires

5. Brian Hoyer
I'd like to see us just solve this issue and bring in a guy like Matt Moore

6. Patrick Chung
I'd be fine keeping the Allen we have now, as I assume he'd be lower priced

7. Peyton Hillis
not sure if Hillis is a headcase or just wanted out of Cleveland

8. Larry Grant
better than Maualuga. Can actually do what you were hoping Maualuga could

9. Louis Murphy
I like. Maybe Schilens as well, while we're on the subject of former Raiders WRs

10. Brady Quinn
no.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamMonroe53 wrote:
Although not free agents presently, if cut, I wouldn't mind the Steelers going after Michael Turner or Ahmad Bradshaw. I know they are big names, but their price should be fair and that's what Pittsburgh will look for. Hillis wouldn't be bad if not for that terrible off-the-field year he had where he just didn't care about football. We don't need that.

For one, Turner and Bradshaw arent really big names.

Secondly, Turner will be 31 and has already started to slow down. No way.

Bradshaw wouldnt be a bad addition, but is a fairly average player with limited upside. We already have that on the roster. He doesnt add much to what we currently have. Unless we lose Redman or Dwyer, I dont see the reasoning for signing him.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
kysteeler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play...

Larry Grant LB
Jared Cook TE
John Phillips TE
Ben Watson TE
Louis Murphy WR
Chris Ivory RB- RFA
Josh Cribbs PR/KR
Bruce Gradkowski QB
Sammie Lee Hill NT
Victor Butller LB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: