Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lil' AZ #3 keeping me sleepless mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Lil' AZ #3 keeping me sleepless mock Reply with quote

Resign
OG Lance Louis (2 years $5.5M) - a "prove it" contract beneficial to both sides as it gives the Bears a present day discount for the injury and let's Louis cash in soon if he proves healthy.

OT Jon Scott (1 year, $1M) - he played admirably when stepping in at RT last year in a scheme less friendly to OL than that Trestman will be installing.

DE Israel Idonije (1 year, $2M) - solid rotational player along the DL is one we should keep on board.

DT Henry Melton ($8M (tag)) - I have concerns about his long signability especially if his desire is to go home to Dallas and reunite with Marineli but he's not going anywhere this year.

DT Nate Collins (RFA tender) - solid reserve and rotational player who was effective all season.

DT Amobe Okoye (1 year $900k) - depth player on a minimum deal.

MLB Brian Urlacher (1 year $2M + performance incentives) - gut pick here that he stays. I read a quote from him recently expressing his desire to stay and an understanding he'd take a pay cut. This deal seems like a winner for both parties with the Bears protecting themselves against further decline (see below) and Lach having a chance to make more if he returns to form.

CB Kelvin Hayden (1 year $1M) - I don't see there bring a big market for him and this is home. Adequate sub package guy and injury fill in.

CB Zack Bowman (1 year $900k) - depth player on a minimum deal.

Cut
WR Devin Hester
TE Kellen Davis
TE Matt Spaeth

Restructure
DE Julius Peppers (2013 cap number to $10M)

Extensions (added to end of current deal; cap hits starting 2014)
CB Charles Tillman (3 years $30M) (8/8/14)
SS Major Wright 4 years, $18M (3.5/4/4.5/6)

Free Agents
QB Matt Moore (2 years $5.5M) - solid backup who should be able to succeed in this offense if called upon.

WR Devery Henderson (1 year $1.2M) - a prototypical sub package deep threat. Henderson has had more than 34 catches just once in 9 seasons but will stretch the field as a 3rd or 4th receiver.

TE Ben Watson (2 years $5M) - over 150 catches the past 3 years in Cleveland. He's getting up there in years but remains productive in the passing game. He won't break the bank but will add a real receiving threat at the position.

OG Louis Vasquez (5 years $26M) - a very solid RG who is strong as an ox and who has held up well in pass pro in front of Philip Rivers. His signing moves Louis to LG which I believe may be his best position anyway.

Draft
1. Kevin Minter, MLB, LSU - I see Minter as the best prepared MLB to start from day 1 in this class but in this scenario he apprentices under 54 and upgrades us at SLB for 2013. In the event that 54 goes down again I think Minter could step in just fine with JT Thomas or Costanzo sliding in at SLB.

2 Brian Schwenke, C, Cal - Some will see this as a reach but I see Schwenke as being the 3rd best pure center prospect in this class behind Cooper and Jones. He showed well at the Senior Bowl and I don't see him lasting to our 4th. He pushes Garza right away IMO and is certainly ready to take over in 2014 if Garza shows well enough to hold him off.

4. Gavin Escobar, TE, SD State - Escobar is a talented receiver right now who will need to improve as a blocker but will have some time to do so with Watson on the roster. I expect he will be able to provide a boost to the passing game this year in 2 TE sets and by 2014 could be a real asset to Cutler.

5. Adrian Bushell, CB, Louisville - Bushell is a bigger corner (5'11" 187 lb) with adequate speed who has good instincts and who shows good man cover skills and isn't shy in run support. He needs to get a bit bigger to be a starter IMO but in this scenario he comes in as a #4 corner with time to develop.

6 Ray Ray Armstrong, SS, Miami - This is a bit of a shot in the dark pick, especially since I have us extending Wright. Armstrong was a top recruit who never lived up to the hype but he is an exceptional athlete who should be an asset on ST. With Steltz's deal being up after 2013 and with us not knowing what we have in Hardin he's a good risk at this point. If he blossoms into what he was expected to be 4 years ago then the pick is a home run and if not then he's probably a core ST guy. Can't have too many of those.

Depth

QB: Cutler, Moore
RB: Forte, Bush, Allen
FB: Rodriguez
WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Henderson, Weems, Anderson
TE: Watson, Escobar, Adams
LT: Webb
LG: Louis, Brown
C: Schwenke, Garza
RG: Vasquez
RT: Scott, Carimi

DE: Peppers, Wootton, McClellin, Idonije
DT: Melton, Paea, Collins, Okoye, Toeaina
OLB: Briggs, Minter, Thomas, Costanzo,
MLB: Urlacher, Minter, DeCicco
CB: Tillman, Jennings, Hayden, Bushell, Bowman, McCoy
S: Wright, Conte, Hardin, Armstrong, Steltz, Walters

K: Gould
P: Podlesh
LS: Mannelly

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this offseason.
ak06max

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:

I like but do not want Webb as our starting LT next year

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak06max wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

I like but do not want Webb as our starting LT next year

I've said before that I feel it will take two years before we are totally happy with our entire Oline...I would rather have Webb at LT than a guy like Spencer or Rachal at LG.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need more tackle depth.

What happens if Webb gets injured?

What happens if Scott and Carimi struggle?

Other than that I like what you have done.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
We need more tackle depth.

What happens if Webb gets injured?

What happens if Scott and Carimi struggle?

Other than that I like what you have done.

I wanted to solidify the interior first because I see it as a more pressing issue than tackle. If we have any injuries that puts us in the same spot as any other team because almost nobody has three quality starting tackles. In this mock four of the five offensive line positions are solidified which would put us in the upper echelon of lines across the league in short order, and I think we can survive with Scott or Gabe at right tackle for at least one more season with the rest of the line solidified. Plus, in order to add another depth player at tackle I would need to take somebody else from either the draft or FA. The only semi-frivolous add I made was with Armstrong in the 6th and I think safety depth given Steltz's averageness and that every other guy has significant injury history is more important than a 4th OT.

I wouldn't oppose really anything in the 6th round including an OT but is prefer to go with a guy who will contribute something sooner versus a guy who won't even dress outside of injury. And FWIW I do envision us making another significant investment at tackle next offseason in this scenario if Carimi and/or Scott don't prove to be an adequate starter by the end of this next season, and if we trade down at some point and acquire additional picks (I mocked no trades) I would not oppose using the extra pick on another OL.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
bears2308

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I'd be happy going into the season with Webb and Scott as our tackles. I'd much rather sign a linebacker like Daryl Smith/Maualuga and draft an OT if we aren't snagging one in FA.
topwop1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good mock. The only things I'd question is taking Minter at #20 overall since I think that's a little early for him. I think everyone knows by now that I'd rather go Alec Ogletree; but I wouldn't be crushed if they ended up taking Minter. Also, I guess you're banking on Webb, Carimi and Scott as the tackles? Solid nontheless
blair18

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to call reach on Schwenke, think there will be better Olinemen still on the board. I'd be upset if that was the pick.

Thanks to Lionsmack for the sig
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blair18 wrote:
I have to call reach on Schwenke, think there will be better Olinemen still on the board. I'd be upset if that was the pick.

Who specifically?

GRRLacher wrote:
blair18

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrett Jones comes to mind, I'm a fan.
Frederick to me is more worthy at that spot.
Warford could still be there, less likely than the other two.
Kyle Longs a guy that would be there, (a reach as well) who I also think I'd be higher on at that spot.

AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blair18 wrote:
Kyle Longs a guy that would be there, (a reach as well) who I also think I'd be higher on at that spot.

I was operating under the assumption that Jones is gone before pick 50 but I would take him over Schwenke if both were available. I see Frederick and Schwenke as being pretty close to equal with a slight edge to Schwenke, and Long and Warford are both guards who we would have no place for with Louis and Vasquez locked in as starters.

GRRLacher wrote:
CBears019

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
blair18 wrote:

I was operating under the assumption that Jones is gone before pick 50 but I would take him over Schwenke if both were available. I see Frederick and Schwenke as being pretty close to equal with a slight edge to Schwenke, and Long and Warford are both guards who we would have no place for with Louis and Vasquez locked in as starters.

Ha! If we signed Louis Vasquez, our two guards would be Louis and Vasquez.

FG: 25/28 XP: 41/42 LNG: 58 Yards

blair18

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I think Jones' injury situation may drop him a bit, plus centers just seem to fall on the day of the draft.

Oh yeah. You do have us grabbing Vasquez. Didn't Long play Tackle and move to Guard though. Is it possible he could switch back?

AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
blair18 wrote:

Ha! If we signed Louis Vasquez, our two guards would be Louis and Vasquez.

Your keen observation skills will make you a fine detective one day my friend.

GRRLacher wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: