Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GMENNATION's Mock Offseason 1.0 (First Ever)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: GMENNATION's Mock Offseason 1.0 (First Ever) Reply with quote

This is my first ever mock offseason, so let me know your thoughts (I’ll try not to take criticism too personal Wink).

We all know the Giants current situation: We are about $4.7 million over the expected cap for 2013 coming off a season with a pretty embarrassing collapse. We go from Super Bowl champs to looking like an over-the-hill, soft team in less than a year and this is gearing up to be a crucial offseason. With that said, here is my mock:

Players Leaving:
1. Ryan Torain
2. Kregg Lumpkin
3. Ramses Barden - had potential but is simply not versatile enough on ST to be buried on the WR depth chart… Randle fills the Giants original plans for Barden as the tall, physical receiver… time to move on
4. Travis Beckum (I don’t think there is a fan on this site that expects him back with the team)
5. Osi Umenyiora – ultimately, we choose to decline the vesting option… Osi is a situational pass rusher at this point in his career and it just seems like it is finally time to part ways
6. Rocky Bernard - up there in age and made little impact last year… decent option to bring back for depth but I ultimately decided not to
7. Terrell Thomas – just can’t stay healthy, not worth another contract.
8. Brian Witherspoon
9. Lawrence Tynes - good kickers seem like a dime-a-dozen these days and when you can’t hit from deep, its time to go

Players Cut:
1. David Diehl – took a huge step back in 2012 and seems washed up… (cap savings: $4.1 mil)
2. Chris Canty – restructuring is also an option but I am just not high on Canty anymore and we’d save more by cutting him… Canty is better suited back as a 3-4 DE (cap savings: $4.55 mil).
3. Michael Boley – Boley would be a FA at the end of the 2013 season and I see no way we would re-sign him so we might as well cut him now and save some cap space. He was playing less and less late in the season anyway so he will not be missed that much (cap savings: $4.25 mil).
4. Corey Webster – this was a very hard decision for me because it leaves us very thing at CB but there are too many speedy WRs these days and Webster looked out of his league covering faster receivers in 2012. The amount of cap savings is what caused me to pull the trigger (cap savings: $7 mil).
5. Tyler Sash – quickly became an afterthought with the play of Stevie Brown and Will Hill… not much to save by cutting him but his depth is not needed (total cap savings: $ $470,000).

Restructuring:
1. Ahmad Bradshaw – Bradshaw has 2 years left on his deal and is scheduled to make $5 mil in 2013 ($3.75 mil salary, $1.25 mil guaranteed). Bradshaw restructures to make $3,775,000 in 2013 (salary drops to $500,000, $3,275,000 guaranteed). This gives Bradshaw $6.55 mil in guarantees over the next 2 seasons as opposed to $2.5 mil (total cap savings: $1.225 mil).
2. David Baas – In this situation, Baas’ 2013 salary drops from $4.25 mil to $1 mil with that $3.25 mil added guaranteed bonus for his 3 remaining years under contract (total cap savings: $1.9 mil).
3. Mathias Kiwanuka – same scenario as Baas, 3 years left, salary drops $4.25 mil with that added to his guaranteed bonus (total cap savings: $1.6 mil).

Players Re-signed:
1. David Carr – never sees the field but is a quality backup. He gets 2 years, $2.5 mil to stick around. This my be his final contract before retirement.
2. Andre Brown – Brown gets a 2nd round tender and nobody bites. Despite showing signs of ability last season, I think he remainds the #3 RB on the depth chart and is used primarily as a goal line/short yardage back.
3. Victor Cruz – Cruz ends up agreeing on a long term deal with the team (5 year/$35 mil). Contract will be backloaded due to cap tightness this year and Cruz being so young still.
4. Domenik Hixon – Hixon is a veteran who can contribute on offense and special teams. He is also a cheap option, getting $2 mil over 2 years.
5. Martellus Bennett – the Giants gave Bennett a chance and he capitalized, but he may need the Giants as much as they need him. He ends up signing a 4 year, $16 mil deal.
6. Bear Pascoe – he re-signs for just over $1 mil a year.
7. Will Beatty – he proved he can anchor this line and will get rewarded for it, 4 years, $5.4 mil per year.
8. Sean Locklear – provided valuable depth last year and will be back to do the same, 1 year at the veteran’s minimum.
9. Kevin Boothe – Boothe is a prized commodity for the Giants thanks to his versatility. He gets a 3 year, 12 million dollar deal.
10. Jim Cordle – another versatile backup who comes pretty cheap, 1 year at minimum salary.
11. Adrian Tracy – Tracy gets the minimum and an opportunity to compete in camp. Showed signs last preseason and is worth locking up for another look.
12. Shaun Rogers – He got hurt last year before he can make any impact. I think he has just as much ability as any of the affordable DTs on the open market. Bring him back for another year at $1 mil and see if he can plug up the middle and add depth.
13. Justin Trattou – same thing as Tracy, 1 year minimum to compete in camp.
14. Keith Rivers – Rivers was decent last year when he got on the field and we are weak at the LB position. We value him enough to trade for him so we’ll give him a contract as well. Could end up seeing significant time with Boley gone and Kiwi taking a lot more snaps at DE. 2 years, $2.25 mil.
15. Chase Blackburn – I erred on the cautious side for this offseason, resigning as many players as possible on not bringing in many FAs. I am not crazy about the FA LBs this offseason so I spent cap space elsewhere. That means Chase comes back and probably starts again on the inside. 2 years, $2.5 mil.
16. Justin Tryon – re-signed at the vet minimum for depth.
17. Kenny Phillips – a very nearly let him walk but I was not comfortable starting Stevie Brown full-time. Not sure if Phillips would accept this deal but I gave him 3 years $20 mil backloaded with just $5.25 total guaranteed.
18. Stevie Brown – gets a 2nd round tender and nobody bites. $1.9 mil is a lot to give Brown as a backup safety but I didn’t think it would be worth giving him a draft value tender and receiving a 7th rounder for him. Instead, we’ll pay him and have good depth at safety with him and Hill.

Free Agent Signings:
1. Gosder Cherilus (4 years, $18 mil) – was going to go with Phil Loadholdt but Cherilus should be cheaper and will satisfy our needs.
2. Kelvin Hayden (2 years, $2.2 mil) – experienced CB that can provide depth and is pretty good in zone coverage. Provides insurance if we are banged up at corner like we were last year.

Draft:
Round 1: Sheldon Richardson, DT Missouri – The Giants were way too soft against the run last season. Richardson is an athletic 3 technique DT with a lot of ability the can help shore up the front 7. He can stand to put on some more weight but can penetrate as well as plug up holes. I think he can step in and start alongside big Linval immediately.

Round 2: Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB Connecticut – This is someone I initially had the Giants stealing in the 3rd round but then he had a very good week at the Senior Bowl, so I had to snatch him up earlier. Good size and very solid zone coverage skills catapult him into the 2nd round. He has a lot of experience and seems very mature. I believe he fits the Giants system.

Round 3: Gerald Hodges, LB Penn State – common among Giants fans mock drafts, I was not as high on him because I thought Khaseem Greene was a better option (wanted to take Greene in the 2nd round before Wreh-Wilson switched up my draft a bit). But Hodges has the athletic ability to man the WLB spot for our defense as well. Based on teams needing athletic LBs that can cover in today’s passing league, I do not think a player like Hodges will last until Round 4. We all know Penn State produces some quality backers so Hodges is worth the pick here.

Round 4: Lavar Edwards, DE LSU – Unlike many fans on this sight, I do not think we should go DE in the early rounds. I believe Tuck when he vows to return to form and we all think Kiwi will be seeing most of his snaps back at DE (and obviously we still have JPP ☺). So I think the 4th round is a good time to pick up some help at DE. Overshadowed by his linemates Mingo and Montgomery, Edwards is versatile and has great athletic ability and experience against top competition. His weight is a question as some have him listed as high as 270ish while others have him in the 250s. 250 would be too light for our defense but I am hoping he is closer to 275.

Round 5: Hugh Thornton, OG Illinois – finally addressing the offensive side of the ball in the 5th round. I have been one of the giants fans being vocal about going OL in the 1st round this year but with some top RTs returning to school and various needs on defense, I decided to address the OL later. Thornton has played all over the line at Illinois and has a ton of experience. He is a project player but could thrive in the right system.

Round 6: Dustin Hopkins, K FSU – he has been on almost everyone’s mocks so far and I agree completely. I even considered taking him in the 5th to ensure we get him. Tynes struggled making long FGs and Hopkins has a boot. Teams will be more willing than ever to rest the success their kicking game on a rookie after multiple amazing rookie kicking campaigns in 2012. Let’s go out and get our kicker for the next 8-10 years.

Round 7: Steve Beauharnais, LB Rutgers – Local product with a lot of starting experience. Can play all LB positions and provide solid STs contributions.

Depth Chart:
QB: Eli Manning/David Carr
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw/David Wilson/Andre Brown/Da’rel Scott
FB: Henry Hynoski
WR1: Hakeem Nicks/Reuben Randle/Jerrel Jernigan
WR2: Victor Cruz/Domenik Hixon
TE: Martellus Bennett/Bear Pascoe/Adrien Robinson
LT: Will Beatty/Sean Locklear
LG: Kevin Boothe/Jim Cordle
C: David Baas/Jim Cordle
RG: Chris Snee/Brandon Mosley*/Hugh Thornton*
RT: Gosder Cherilus/Sean Locklear/James Brewer

LE: Justin Tuck/Mathias Kiwanuka/Lavar Edwards
DT: Linval Joseph/Markus Kuhn/Justin Trattou*
DT: Sheldon Richardson/Shaun Rogers/ Marvin Austin*
RE: Jason Pierre-Paul/Adrian Tracy*/Adwale Ojomo*
SLB: Jacquain Williams/Spencer Paysinger
MLB: Chase Blackburn/Mark Herzlich/Steve Beauharnais
WLB: Keith Rivers/Gerald Hodges
CB1: Prince Amukamara/Kelvin Hayden/Justin Tryon
FS: Antrel Rolle/Will Hill
SS: Kenny Phillips/Stevie Brown
CB2: Jayron Hosley/Blidi Wreh-Wilson

K: Dustin Hopkins
P: Steve Weatherford
LS: Zak DeOssie

*NOTE: Mosley vs. Thornton, Trattou vs. Austin, Tracy vs. Ojomo for final 3 roster spots.

Final Thoughts:
As I said, this offseason has the potential for major shakeups. However, I decided to stay conservative because we are talking about the Giants. They do not panic when things go wrong one season. Quite a few contributors do end up getting cut but they are not super active in FA. I believe the Giants have the right weaknesses for what this offseason provides: a deep draft defensively. It is time for the Giants to get a bit younger and a bit more athletic on the defensive side of the ball. I ended up with $6.1 mil in cap space without considering rookie contracts so I think I'm right where I need to be.

I believe Kiwi will still see a lot of time at LB as well but he will see much more time on the line. It is the best way to get the most talent on the field. I left the Giants rather weak at LB with Rivers starting and a big question mark at JWill’s ability to start on the strong side but I am hoping an improved defensive line helps mask that and I also believe Hodges could end up starting at WLB at some point during the season.

Jayron starting in his 2nd year is also a risk, especially the way he was burned on big plays last season. But I believe those plays were mental errors, not lack of ability and he will get that corrected with a full offseason. I think I provided the Giants with much better depth at corner that will allow Rolle to play back a bit more.

That’s it for my first mock offseason… thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the draft, but I don't see us starting a rookie or Hosley next year. Just too much inexperience on the defense imo.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Byrdman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Hopkins will make it past the 5th round.
Biggsam49

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people are overestimating our LBers. They're terrible. Rivers opened the season nice, but was injured and looked weak later. Blackburn is there strictly for his head. Jacquain is the only one I have some hope for, and he is always injured. I've seen nothing from Paysinger, and very little from Herz that makes me believe either can be a starter. If we don't grab one in the first 2 rounds with "year 1 starter" potential, I think we should double up in the mid rounds, or use a 3rd/4th and a FA signing.

I'm very happy with the rest of the mock. A-. I like the cuts, FA signings, and I'm really hoping Richardson falls to us.
Ice_Dude_2008

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I don't really understand all this hype around Sheldon Richardson. I watched him and he really relies on his athleticism way too much. He doesn't really have any pass rushing technique or a bull rush for that matter. He predicates using his speed to blow pass slower lineman (ala his 14 Tackle game against Alabama and D.J Fluker). His natural position is on the inside and against second round LG prospect Larry Watford he couldn't do a thing.

The DT I am in love with is Johnathan Jenkins. I think he's just a monster who takes two O-Lineman to even hold still against the run and the pass. This dude is a flat up monster, and you won't be able to double him with JPP on one side and Joseph, Tuck on the other. He's big, strong, and explosive. I think this guy absolutely needs to be in Big Blue if we let go Canty.

Watching him at the Senior Bowl, he showed me more than enough athletic ability to easily play DT for us. He carries all 358 lbs of man well and he doesn't have the typical fatboy body looking at him.

If we do go DT in the first, I really want to stay away from Richardson. I just don't see it in him. I'd easily rather Jenkins, Floyd, or Short. Just one fans opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice_Dude_2008 wrote:
Hey, I don't really understand all this hype around Sheldon Richardson. I watched him and he really relies on his athleticism way too much. He doesn't really have any pass rushing technique or a bull rush for that matter. He predicates using his speed to blow pass slower lineman (ala his 14 Tackle game against Alabama and D.J Fluker). His natural position is on the inside and against second round LG prospect Larry Watford he couldn't do a thing.

The DT I am in love with is Johnathan Jenkins. I think he's just a monster who takes two O-Lineman to even hold still against the run and the pass. This dude is a flat up monster, and you won't be able to double him with JPP on one side and Joseph, Tuck on the other. He's big, strong, and explosive. I think this guy absolutely needs to be in Big Blue if we let go Canty.

Watching him at the Senior Bowl, he showed me more than enough athletic ability to easily play DT for us. He carries all 358 lbs of man well and he doesn't have the typical fatboy body looking at him.

If we do go DT in the first, I really want to stay away from Richardson. I just don't see it in him. I'd easily rather Jenkins, Floyd, or Short. Just one fans opinion.

I completely disagree here. Richardson is the biggest monster in this draft. He's an athletic freak with incredible pass rushing skills. He's going to completely obliterate the combine, just watch, and be a top10 lock. As for Jenkins, he is much more of a 3-4 NT than anything, so I don't see us drafting him. I'd rank the 2013 DT class as: 1. Lotulelei 2. Richardson 3. Hankins 4. Short 5. Floyd 6. Jenkins 7. S. Williams 8. J. Williams. Deep talent that will last to the early 2nd.
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggsam49 wrote:
I think people are overestimating our LBers. They're terrible. Rivers opened the season nice, but was injured and looked weak later. Blackburn is there strictly for his head. Jacquain is the only one I have some hope for, and he is always injured. I've seen nothing from Paysinger, and very little from Herz that makes me believe either can be a starter.

I tend to agree with you about the overall quality of our LBs but am hoping an improved d-line masks their short comings. I personally would only take Kevin Minter in the 1st as a MLB and most of the OLBs are better suited for the 3-4.

Ice_Dude_2008 wrote:
The DT I am in love with is Johnathan Jenkins. I think he's just a monster who takes two O-Lineman to even hold still against the run and the pass. This dude is a flat up monster, and you won't be able to double him with JPP on one side and Joseph, Tuck on the other. He's big, strong, and explosive.

Jenkins is a NT... we need a 3-tech that can get pressure up the middle... that is why I think Richardson is a good fit for us

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMENNATION wrote:

Ice_Dude_2008 wrote:
The DT I am in love with is Johnathan Jenkins. I think he's just a monster who takes two O-Lineman to even hold still against the run and the pass. This dude is a flat up monster, and you won't be able to double him with JPP on one side and Joseph, Tuck on the other. He's big, strong, and explosive.

Jenkins is a NT... we need a 3-tech that can get pressure up the middle... that is why I think Richardson is a good fit for us

Yes, he might be a big dude, but he isn't strictly a nose tackle. Jenkins can dominant interior lineman with just his bull rush. He's extremely athletic for his size. And the more I watch of Richardson, I think of him as being strictly a 3-4 DE. I understand if you do not agree with my opinion, but I just don't see the ability to beat interior lineman in the NFL (the best two inside prospect he faced Warmack and Warford dominated him. Two players who had an immense amount of trouble with Jenkins).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Damn near everything I'd like to see tuck reconstruct his contract too if this were to happen I'd be kind of iffy on our CB's tho but I think our linebackers would be ok and that Gerald Hodges would probably get the starting spot early
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I've read this before ... deja vu Laughing

I like the draft and off season its self, very good work

Not a Knicks fan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: