Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

UPDATE: Rob Ryan basically a done deal!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
My heart sank a few weeks ago when I saw the Ryan and Rams talk fell through, because I knew it means we had a shot at him.

Blech.

I'm still holding out for a 49ers or Ravens staff member. It makes no sense to wait until after the Super Bowl if we were just going to take Ryan or Crennel.

Rumors were that Crennel might retire... thinking now that maybe Payton has ben trying to talk him into coaching and if he's unsuccessful then Ryan is his fallback.

Hopefully Ryan is mad at Payton for showing no interest in the Dallas job and won't hear him out?

I can dream, can't I?

This could also just be Gil Bryant trying to make people think he's still relivent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think we'd touch Ryan because of his personality. Similar to GW, IMO.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
I didn't think we'd touch Ryan because of his personality. Similar to GW, IMO.

Might not be all bad...

Could see hiring Ryan, Signing Anthony Spencer and drafting Ezekiel Ansah!

FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got any stats on the Cowboys D last season? I know they had a bunch of injuries, but with those CBs, Ware, and Spencer I would think they should've been ranked in the 16-20 range. I do remember Cowboys fans saying that at least their defense will be disciplined now that they've hired Kiffin, and Ryan is gone.

Adopt-a-Saint
FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas allowed 25.0 ppg
New Orleans allowed 28.4 ppg
League average- 22.8

Dallas allowed 5.8 yards per play
New Orleans allowed 6.5 yards per play
League average- 5.4

Dallas allowed 125 rushing yards per game
New Orleans allowed 147 rushing yards per game
League average 115.9

Dallas allowed 355 ypg
New Orleans allowed 440 ypg
League average 347.2

Other than the total yardage allowed per game, Dallas wasn't much better. I'd be worried if we hired Rob Ryan.

Adopt-a-Saint

Last edited by FLOODx on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
Anyone got any stats on the Cowboys D last season? I know they had a bunch of injuries, but with those CBs, Ware, and Spencer I would think they should've been ranked in the 16-20 range. I do remember Cowboys fans saying that at least their defense will be disciplined now that they've hired Kiffin, and Ryan is gone.

Numbers are kinda a wash... Cowboys suffered ALOT of injuries last season on the defensive side of the football. I'm not the biggest Ryan fan but Jerry ones used Rob Ryan as the scape goat for his inabilities as an ower and GM and his unwillingness to step down and move away from his lap dog HC Garrett.

Most in the NFL felt blaming Ryan last year in Dallas was an absolute joke.

FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

Numbers are kinda a wash... Cowboys suffered ALOT of injuries last season on the defensive side of the football. I'm not the biggest Ryan fan but Jerry ones used Rob Ryan as the scape goat for his inabilities as an ower and GM and his unwillingness to step down and move away from his lap dog HC Garrett.

Towards the end of the year they had guys off the street playing ILB. Their starting NT was also hurt, so I'd have to think they would've been much better if they would've remained healthy. With that being said, I know nothing about what type of 3-4 scheme Ryan runs. I'd consider who ever we hire to be an improvement over last year, since we're our personnel fits the 34 so much better.

Adopt-a-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

Towards the end of the year they had guys off the street playing ILB. Their starting NT was also hurt, so I'd have to think they would've been much better if they would've remained healthy. With that being said, I know nothing about what type of 3-4 scheme Ryan runs. I'd consider who ever we hire to be an improvement over last year, since we're our personnel fits the 34 so much better.

Actually if this does happen it fits Paytons MO... He commented after he hired Spags and Williams in the past that they attracted him because of the difficult time he personally had game planning for there defense.

I remember after the Saints loss to the Browns when Ryan was the DC (Remember that was the Shawn Rodgers game) Brees was forced into pressure all night and the d-line caught 2 ints, 1 for a TD. Payton said after that game that he admired Ryan and that his defense was always a tough one to go up against.

Ryan is experienced... something Payton looks for, and has that history of being a thorne in SP side.

Im not sure if I agree with it if it does happen but I trust Payton to make the right decision. I will say this though... If Ryan is the new DC, I hope he lures Spencer to Nawlins too.

FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried searching around for some info. Couldn't find much, but I think Ryan runs a 2 gap

Adopt-a-Saint
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

I believe that he runs a 3-4 one-gap attacking defense. It's tough to just put someone in a box though because he could have significantly adjusted his strategy based on personel. Ratliff was an excellent penetrating NT...and Ware is a stud pass rusher. I think the one-gap better suites our personnel...so he may actually be a better fit than Crennel who will probably need a year or two to get the defense into working order.

I still think that the Saints could do better than both with new blood.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
FLOODx wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

I believe that he runs a 3-4 one-gap attacking defense. It's tough to just put someone in a box though because he could have significantly adjusted his strategy based on personel. Ratliff was an excellent penetrating NT...and Ware is a stud pass rusher. I think the one-gap better suites our personnel...so he may actually be a better fit than Crennel who will probably need a year or two to get the defense into working order.

I still think that the Saints could do better than both with new blood.

ROb Ryan kinda runs a multitude of schemes, he's known for implementing a complex scheme that has a lot of 1 gap, 2 gap and 46 principles to it.

Harper41

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard negative things about Ryan everywhere he's gone but you know what they say...everyone blames the coordinators. I trust Payton will make a good hire, I couldn't care less who it is as long as we're running a 3-4.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
I've heard negative things about Ryan everywhere he's gone but you know what they say...everyone blames the coordinators. I trust Payton will make a good hire, I couldn't care less who it is as long as we're running a 3-4.

I agree... I do feel Ryan gets a bad rap but it's kinda deserved. I'd personally like Tomsula or Butler but I understand the experience factor with Ryan and Crennel.

I just want a hire made so we can get to work with a direction for this defense. Teams have already began making cuts and stuff, time for Payton to make his decision.

FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@Berns247: RT @LarryHolder: #Saints will interview Georgia DC Todd Grantham on Thursday and former #Cowboys DC Rob Ryan on Friday, via league source.

Adopt-a-Saint
Raves

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are looking at college coordinators please for the love of all that is right contact kirby smart. Look at Alabama's defense and then look at our personnel, outside of a big NT like Williams or Cody, we match what he likes a lot.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: