Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Offseason Waiver/Release Wire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure wish THE EXPECTATION would re-structure his contract.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
Mongo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
what is this obsession with moving Berry to FS? Do you really want to take him farther from run support when he's so good at it?

I see both sides. As you say he is clearly very good at the LOS in run support ala Troy Polamalu. In college he was a ballhawk on the level of Ed Reed.

Who do you want more? The next Polamalu or Reed? Wow. Is there a wrong answer? I love both players. Both are game changers in their own and very different ways.

The beauty is Berry is able to do either. The sad part is he likely can't do both. So you have to pick. That's the hard part.

But maybe, just maybe, he's a guy that comes around once in a while that redefines the position, ala Ronnie Lott. That's the hope I've always had. One day Eric Berry will be better than either Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu.

How cool wd that be?!
Mongo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:
Cardinals are expected to release Kolb. Makes you wonder (and this is kind of for you Nic) if we'd waited, played a little more hard-ball etc. If we'd been a place for him to come on the cheap. Can't imagine he'll make even what Smith is making, probably closer to Daniels.

DT,
It is all about leverage as you well know. Personally, if I were the GM (and this is the armchair GM in me coming out), I would have never communicated anything negative about the 2013 quarterback class.

In fact, I would have been as complimentary as possible and at the very least I would have indicated that as an organization we are beginning our evaluation of all prospects and will get a better feel for the pros and cons.

This keeps the variable open from the beginning that we could very well target a rookie quarterback at some point in the 2013 draft.

Second, I would have tried to balance Andy Reid's apparent determination on acquiring Alex Smith with the understanding that as the GM, it is my job to not only provide for immediate improvements (which is likely Reid's primary focus) but also to have a strategy for sustained success in the future. With that being said, I would push the organization to be "mum" on the potential opportunity to add Alex Smith via trade.

I would have surveyed the NFL landscape and tried to determine what potential Smith suitors could get into the mix and try and assess their likely interest based on their salary cap condition, existing roster, draft picks available for trade, etc. In this case I would have definitely zeroed in on Kevin Kolb and his situation in Arizona. I wouldn't necessarily view him as an equal to Alex Smith, but the 49ers wouldn't have to know that. For all they know, the more quarterbacks on the open market will give prospective suitors more options.

I have talked alot about why I think internally the 49ers were very motivated to part ways with Alex Smith so I won't go into the same details again, but I would have let the negotiations play out a little longer all the while looking at league transactions that could help provide some leverage.

I am not going to presume that Dorsey didn't do any of this or that I am smarter than Dorsey - this is the beauty of being an armchair GM! LOL

But I would have been much more cautious as to what I said to the media that could either give or lose leverage in any trade negotiations. Kolb being on the market could have been something to use as leverage in our favor even if we weren't really interested in him.

That's why, when I'm hired President and Grand Puba of the KC Chiefs (PGPKCC) you'll be my mule. I prefer my coffee light with Splenda. I like hoagies and Oriental at lunch. I fully expect you to subject yourself to me while I take credit for anything positive you do while throwing you under the bus for your failures.

Sound good? Good. The hourly rate is $8.50 plus all of the free coffee you can drink -- within reason. More than three cups a day and we dock your pay.
simonwayne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of unrelated to releases and stuff, but basically both the Jaguars and Eagles basically sent their whole front office to watch Geno Smith at his pro day and Geno didn't fail to impress. Hopefully someone falls in love with Geno (Eagles?) and wants to jump the Jaguars to secure so we can move down and get a 2nd round pick back.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:
Kind of unrelated to releases and stuff, but basically both the Jaguars and Eagles basically sent their whole front office to watch Geno Smith at his pro day and Geno didn't fail to impress. Hopefully someone falls in love with Geno (Eagles?) and wants to jump the Jaguars to secure so we can move down and get a 2nd round pick back.

And the church said, "Amen"!

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Mongo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:

Teams cover their bases as well as laying their bluff in the draft poker game. What's cool and what I never understand is why OAK or JAX leak their interest in a Geno.

Think about it? You're the Bills at 8. The Raiders have announced their interest in Geno. You love him. Are you compelled to trade with them?

You either recognize they are full of it or you say, "Well JAX and OAK are interested. I guess I better talk to (get screwed by) KC to beat both of them.

Lets hope this will work this way in our favor. I beginning to believe that BUF might want to make this move.

They cut Fitz. Is Tarvarris is really the dude? No. Buddy Nix may have overplayed his hand.

Lets hope KC finally screws someone.
HiccupGuy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:

I would rather take a future first round pick then a 2nd.
5 punt returns - 85 yards - 0 TD
Rumless

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:

As the days go by I see Geno being the prime target of Buffalo more and more. If Dorsey is a master of ruses, he'll hype up this Geno love and cash in on draft day by trading down.

Hm. Trade back to 8 and acquire second-rounder. Draft Dion Jordan. Trade second-rounder for 2014 first. Use both 2014 firsts to trade up and acquire Teddy Bridgewater. Yes please.

In fact, I'm not sure he's better than our very own London Fletcher.[/quote]
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiccupGuy wrote:
simonwayne wrote:

I would rather take a future first round pick then a 2nd.

I think that could tough getting that type of deal.

bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:
what is this obsession with moving Berry to FS? Do you really want to take him farther from run support when he's so good at it?

I see both sides. As you say he is clearly very good at the LOS in run support ala Troy Polamalu. In college he was a ballhawk on the level of Ed Reed.

Who do you want more? The next Polamalu or Reed?

That's easy, I want the next Ed Reed, and simply because he's played at a higher level longer and isn't severely declining because of all the big hits around the LOS.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Mongo wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:

Who do you want more? The next Polamalu or Reed?

That's easy, I want the next Ed Reed, and simply because he's played at a higher level longer and isn't severely declining because of all the big hits around the LOS.

Bigs, exactly. That is a very good point and definitely one of the factors.

I would also add that an in-the-box safety is going to generally help the front 7 out more while the secondary is going to have to pick up the slack more when a secondary player ends up sliding closer to the line of scrimmage. The counter to that is when you have a free safety that can consistently cover a lot of ground athletically and has a good feel for putting himself in the right place at the right time to make a play on the ball, you are providing more support for your secondary coverage. If a cornerback knows on a given play he has solid safety help and he can rely on that free safety can cover alot of ground to get into a good position, IMO that could allow the cornerback to feel more comfortable in being more aggressive in his coverage.

The thing with Ed Reed that allowed him to make such a consistent impact is that he gained alot of experience playing centerfielder coverage and so he really understands what he sees as the play develops in front of him. When you have that understanding and you have seen the routes over and over you are able to then start getting a jump on making a play on where you feel the ball will go. Opposing offensive coordinators and quarterbacks have to gameplan for that. The opponent always has to be aware of where Reed is and that is even the case during the play, which can impact what the quarterback sees and how he reacts.

KC_Guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to groundwork ... tossing some names around who may come in reasonably cheap:

Dan Connor
Tom Zbikowski
Bernard Pollard (really? REALLY!)

Other than that - out of the own 2012 crew:

Ropati Pitoitua
Brandon Siler
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maneri tweeted that he won't be coming back to KC.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154211/article/tommy-kelly-reportedly-will-be-cut-by-oakland-raiders

Tommy Kelly is going to be cut by the Raiders. Could bring some good versatility to the DL if the price is right.
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read about him making the rounds the more I wonder whether DHB would be a good fit for the Chiefs. One year show-me contract, may be 100 k$ above vet minimum, next to no guarantees ... he should be down to that level by now. And if it doesn't work out: bye bye after camp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: