Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Offseason Waiver/Release Wire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefs82

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously think Elways paying for these acquisitions out of pocket

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #50 Justin Houston, OLB
Tackles:32/Sacks:12/FF:1/FR:0
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefs82 wrote:
I seriously think Elways paying for these acquisitions out of pocket

It is a good thing he is checking with Archie to get his approval before making the transactions. I would hate to [inappropriate/removed] off Archie.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
KCDiehard88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KCDiehard88 wrote:
Someone check on Diesel!!!!

I saw somewhere DRC was in Denver and had taken a physical.

Bottom paged
Punts:42 AVG:44.5 In20:20 Lng:64
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KCDiehard88 wrote:
Someone check on Diesel!!!!

I saw somewhere DRC was in Denver and had taken a physical.

DRC and Welker, I'm gonna be sick. :-&
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me want a CB in FA and in the draft even more now.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardinals are expected to release Kolb. Makes you wonder (and this is kind of for you Nic) if we'd waited, played a little more hard-ball etc. If we'd been a place for him to come on the cheap. Can't imagine he'll make even what Smith is making, probably closer to Daniels.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Cardinals are expected to release Kolb. Makes you wonder (and this is kind of for you Nic) if we'd waited, played a little more hard-ball etc. If we'd been a place for him to come on the cheap. Can't imagine he'll make even what Smith is making, probably closer to Daniels.

DT,
It is all about leverage as you well know. Personally, if I were the GM (and this is the armchair GM in me coming out), I would have never communicated anything negative about the 2013 quarterback class.

In fact, I would have been as complimentary as possible and at the very least I would have indicated that as an organization we are beginning our evaluation of all prospects and will get a better feel for the pros and cons.

This keeps the variable open from the beginning that we could very well target a rookie quarterback at some point in the 2013 draft.

Second, I would have tried to balance Andy Reid's apparent determination on acquiring Alex Smith with the understanding that as the GM, it is my job to not only provide for immediate improvements (which is likely Reid's primary focus) but also to have a strategy for sustained success in the future. With that being said, I would push the organization to be "mum" on the potential opportunity to add Alex Smith via trade.

I would have surveyed the NFL landscape and tried to determine what potential Smith suitors could get into the mix and try and assess their likely interest based on their salary cap condition, existing roster, draft picks available for trade, etc. In this case I would have definitely zeroed in on Kevin Kolb and his situation in Arizona. I wouldn't necessarily view him as an equal to Alex Smith, but the 49ers wouldn't have to know that. For all they know, the more quarterbacks on the open market will give prospective suitors more options.

I have talked alot about why I think internally the 49ers were very motivated to part ways with Alex Smith so I won't go into the same details again, but I would have let the negotiations play out a little longer all the while looking at league transactions that could help provide some leverage.

I am not going to presume that Dorsey didn't do any of this or that I am smarter than Dorsey - this is the beauty of being an armchair GM! LOL

But I would have been much more cautious as to what I said to the media that could either give or lose leverage in any trade negotiations. Kolb being on the market could have been something to use as leverage in our favor even if we weren't really interested in him.

DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is all about leverage as you well know. Personally, if I were the GM (and this is the armchair GM in me coming out), I would have never communicated anything negative about the 2013 quarterback class.

In fact, I would have been as complimentary as possible and at the very least I would have indicated that as an organization we are beginning our evaluation of all prospects and will get a better feel for the pros and cons.

Nic, this is an area where you and I have talked about in some detail, and I couldn't agree more. I think had we sold that we were interested in a QB, rather than making it clear we're willing to take anyone (which isn't a bad thing) we might have more offers for the number 1 pick. I think interest, at least I'm hoping will pick up when Geno has his pro-day. I know Bucky Brooks said the Bills have to do whatever it takes to make sure they get Geno, hopefully Buddy Nix reads that article!

I understand your wait it out, let them sweat a little bit argument, and honestly the hardest part for me is, both Dorsey and Reid come from a background where they are usually on the plus side of this type of move. So internally I want to say they did what they thought they needed to to get the guy they absolutely wanted. Now is Smith better than Kolb, I think certainly. Would Kolb have been cheaper draft pick wise, sure, and likely now completely free draft pick wise. I'd love to still have the second round pick, as honestly to me it has move value than the first pick.

I do think however that KC feels they'll be able to move 1.1, and that is why they were SO willing to part with our second round pick. I know in one of Dorsey's interviews, he said people have contacted us already, but not with a lot of details. My biggest hope right now is that we don't get overly enamored with one of the tackles, and force our hands again. I am of the opinion that if we can add even a third round pick this year, and a high conditional next year I'm willing to trade back even into the low teens. If we could add another 1st next year, and a second or third this year, I'd trade all the way back into play-off land.

I know you didn't really mention this, but I LOVE the way Daniels contract is set up, even if I'm not crazy about the dollar number for a guy who's thrown 9 passes. We can completely void the deal after this year. To me this says, hey we're taking a shot with Smith, if he falters we can try Chase. If not, and we're sitting high next year, we can dump Chase draft a young guy and let him and Alex fight it out. If nothing else we have a very capable back-up in Smith who will be a free agent (baring an extension) after that year and we can wipe our hands clean of these "building" blocks.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep forgetting about Cary Williams and Talib being out there. Both are guys who might be slightly cheaper than Smith, definitely still have tread on their tires. Talib has a lot of baggage, but seemed to play well for NE.

Of course a lot of these guys (not counting Nnamdi obviously) could end up sliding to the Eagles as well. You almost forget how many decent CBs are out there right now that would certainly upgrade our team. Even if Nic's two guys have been signed. Either of which I'd have been happy with.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Quote:

Nic, this is an area where you and I have talked about in some detail, and I couldn't agree more. I think had we sold that we were interested in a QB, rather than making it clear we're willing to take anyone (which isn't a bad thing) we might have more offers for the number 1 pick. I think interest, at least I'm hoping will pick up when Geno has his pro-day. I know Bucky Brooks said the Bills have to do whatever it takes to make sure they get Geno, hopefully Buddy Nix reads that article!

I understand your wait it out, let them sweat a little bit argument, and honestly the hardest part for me is, both Dorsey and Reid come from a background where they are usually on the plus side of this type of move. So internally I want to say they did what they thought they needed to to get the guy they absolutely wanted. Now is Smith better than Kolb, I think certainly. Would Kolb have been cheaper draft pick wise, sure, and likely now completely free draft pick wise. I'd love to still have the second round pick, as honestly to me it has move value than the first pick.

I do think however that KC feels they'll be able to move 1.1, and that is why they were SO willing to part with our second round pick. I know in one of Dorsey's interviews, he said people have contacted us already, but not with a lot of details. My biggest hope right now is that we don't get overly enamored with one of the tackles, and force our hands again. I am of the opinion that if we can add even a third round pick this year, and a high conditional next year I'm willing to trade back even into the low teens. If we could add another 1st next year, and a second or third this year, I'd trade all the way back into play-off land.

I know you didn't really mention this, but I LOVE the way Daniels contract is set up, even if I'm not crazy about the dollar number for a guy who's thrown 9 passes. We can completely void the deal after this year. To me this says, hey we're taking a shot with Smith, if he falters we can try Chase. If not, and we're sitting high next year, we can dump Chase draft a young guy and let him and Alex fight it out. If nothing else we have a very capable back-up in Smith who will be a free agent (baring an extension) after that year and we can wipe our hands clean of these "building" blocks.

DT, I agree with alot of your points. And I even agree with you on Daniel. My sticking point is that the money we spent on him was way more than IMO our threshold should have been. I just think that the money we spent on Daniel could have gone to more immediate needs that we still have. As of right now, I do think we have painted ourselves into a corner to an extent when it comes to our tackles. We only have Albert and Stephenson on the roster. Stephenson is still an unknown so I don't know what the regime thinks about him starting. Irregardless, we need depth and I wouldn't want to rely on a scrub and Stephenson on the right side AND for depth.

We also have alot of depth we need to fill and whether that takes re-signings (ex. Siler, Pitoitua) or free agents at that level, it is going to collectively start to add up. Also we need to have money set aside for our rookie draft pool.

As crazy as it sounds, I don't think we really had the luxury of spending what we did for Daniel and even Avery considering the other items on our "to-do list".

Diesel2692

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikes about to sign Matt Cassel now lol
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like to see Quintin Mikell brought in as a stop-gap strong safety which would allow...

Think

I got it! Mikell at strong safety would allow Eric Berry to move to free safety! Mikell probably wouldn't be very expensive and might be willing to sign for a 1 year deal, maybe the team would go for a 2 year deal. He could hold down the fort and allow us to draft one of a plethora of safeties without forcing the rookie into action too soon. If the rookie hit the ground running, Mikell could be a camp casualty.

I certainly don't think profootballfocus is the be-all-end-all, but they Mikell rated +15.3. He started all but 1 game in the last 5 years with the Eagles and Rams. in 2013 he had a combined 101 tackles (83 assisted and 18 solo), had 3 sacks, 2 passes defensed and 4 forced fumbles. He obviously isn't the best coverage safety but he could probably make more of an impact for us playing closer the line of scrimmage and allow Berry to be the ball-hawk we really need him to be.

Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is this obsession with moving Berry to FS? Do you really want to take him farther from run support when he's so good at it?

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
what is this obsession with moving Berry to FS? Do you really want to take him farther from run support when he's so good at it?

I have talked about this a time or two before RVM. His skill set IMO is much better served in making an impact if he is able to attack the ball as a centerfielder type of safety. He has natural athleticism, tracks the ball well and has excellent range. Why not have him covering a larger area where he can see the play develop, understand routes and coverage assignments and serve as a rover of sorts. When he is playing closer to the line of scrimmage it is much less of an impact as he is backpedaling or covering a single player or a much smaller area. Am I saying he stinks in the role he played under Crennel? No. But I think he is the type of player that could make a much bigger impact in pass defense because he is able to cover a much larger part of the field than alot of other safeties.

I would much rather have a ball-hawk that offensive coordinators have to game plan for and quarterback have to be aware of where he is at all times during a play as opposed to having that same type of talent always right around 5 yards or so from the line of scrimmage.

Hey, and how says obsessions are bad, right Mrs. Brown?

Wink

Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:

I have talked about this a time or two before RVM. His skill set IMO is much better served in making an impact if he is able to attack the ball as a centerfielder type of safety. He has natural athleticism, tracks the ball well and has excellent range. Why not have him covering a larger area where he can see the play develop, understand routes and coverage assignments and serve as a rover of sorts. When he is playing closer to the line of scrimmage it is much less of an impact as he is backpedaling or covering a single player or a much smaller area. Am I saying he stinks in the role he played under Crennel? No. But I think he is the type of player that could make a much bigger impact in pass defense because he is able to cover a much larger part of the field than alot of other safeties.

I would much rather have a ball-hawk that offensive coordinators have to game plan for and quarterback have to be aware of where he is at all times during a play as opposed to having that same type of talent always right around 5 yards or so from the line of scrimmage.

Hey, and how says obsessions are bad, right Mrs. Brown?

Wink

alright you got me there. Mrs. Brown it is. I may have to make a Mrs Brown twitter handle. Laughing Laughing

I'm not really for or against Berry playing FS. He's honestly probably going to excel no matter where we play him.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: