Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jimmy Smith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfalcone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Jimmy Smith Reply with quote

He quite arguably saved the game yesterday, putting his shoulder into Crabtree on third down, and keeping him from catching the ball on fourth. This is the second year in the row he's finished the season with a monster game. We know he has every physical tool imaginable, speed, size, aggressiveness. He just needs to put it all together, and stop getting double moved. There's no reason he can't develop into an all pro.
ravens5520

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy Smith Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
He quite arguably saved the game yesterday, putting his shoulder into Crabtree on third down, and keeping him from catching the ball on fourth. This is the second year in the row he's finished the season with a monster game. We know he has every physical tool imaginable, speed, size, aggressiveness. He just needs to put it all together, and stop getting double moved. There's no reason he can't develop into an all pro.

What if they called PI? Would you still think he had a monster game? Just playing devils advocate because I'm a supporter of Smith for our future and will gladly let Cay Williams to go get overpaid
alfalcone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy Smith Reply with quote

ravens5520 wrote:
alfalcone wrote:

What if they called PI? Would you still think he had a monster game? Just playing devils advocate because I'm a supporter of Smith for our future and will gladly let Cay Williams to go get overpaid

Probably not, then again if Billy Cundiff had made that field goal he would still be our kicker. I honestly think that the only pass interference they could have justifiably called was offensive on Crabtree. He initiated the contact, and pushed off.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jimmy Smith just needs to get a good run of being healthy over the next nine months. Get a proper training camp and pre-season in for the first time in his career, and I think we'll start to see him being far more consistent and progressing like the coaches and FO obviously hoped he would when they drafted him.

He's got all the physical tools, as has been pointed out, but has been prone to mental lapses. I think that's due to him not being able to practice and prepare and play as often and as consistently as anyone would have liked.

If he does do all the things we hope he can, then I see the CB group next year as a very strong one. Assuming Webb comes back and is able to pick up somewhere in the region of where he left off, and with Corey Graham and Chykie Brown backing them up, that's a talented group.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ravens5520.

Jimmy hasn't done anything really to earn my trust. He shows up sometimes in the post-season, but his main thing is he can't stay healthy throughout a regular 16 game season.

I guess next year will be his time to step up and be the man we all expected him to be coming out of Colorado, but nothing is guaranteed with him.

My hope is Webb gets back to 100% and be our #1, while Graham is our #2 and let Jimmy beat him out (if he can). Either way, I'm kind of iffy on our CB position heading into next year.

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
Dark ops

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With C Brown and Asa Jackson in the mix as well the competition for the #3 CB spot and depth will be tight for Jimmy Smith ( idk maybe if Ed leaves the Ravens may consider moving him or someone else to safety)
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At worst he's the new Duane Starks. The worst defensive first rounder in our history (he was a decent corner, but we're spoiled, everyone else has been all-pro Cool), but can't be considered a bad pick because of huge plays in the super bowl.

Jimmy Smith had a huge special teams tackle in OT against the Broncos, too.

I actually still think there's a chance he becomes a great cb. The biggest concern is the injuries, but he's so physically gifted and I do like his aggressiveness. CB is one of the positions where it can take a couple years to really develop.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark ops wrote:
With C Brown and Asa Jackson in the mix as well the competition for the #3 CB spot and depth will be tight for Jimmy Smith ( idk maybe if Ed leaves the Ravens may consider moving him or someone else to safety)

If anyone is moved to free safety it'd be Webb. He would be a star there, as he's already a great tackler and blitzer. Webb and Pollard at safety, with Jimmy Smith and Chykie Brown as the two physical outside guys and Graham in the slot. That could be a really interesting secondary.

But, I don't won't to see that next year, because that would mean we let Reed play somewhere else. Not talking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: