Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Opponents & Early Predictions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: 2013 Opponents & Early Predictions Reply with quote

http://www.fbschedules.com/nfl-13/2013-pittsburgh-steelers-football-schedule.php

Home
Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Buffalo, Miami, Chicago, Detroit,
Tennessee

Away

Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, New England, N.Y. Jets, Green Bay,
Minnesota, Oakland

Key Resignings

FB Doug Johnson
HB Jonathan Dwyer
WR Emmanuel Sanders
DT Steve McClendon
LB Steve McClendon
CB Keenan Lewis

Free Agents that Walk

QB Charlie Batch
QB Byron Leftwich
HB Isaac Redman
HB Rashard Mendenhall
WR Mike Wallace
WR Plaxico Burress
TE Leonard Pope
LT Max Starks
OL Ramon Foster
C Greg Warren
C Doug Legursky
DT Casey Hampton
MLB Larry Foote
LB Brandon Johnson
CB Justin King
FS Ryan Mundy
SS Will Allen
P Jeremy Kapinos

Key Restructures

QB Ben Roethlisberger
LOLB LaMarr Woodley
SS Troy Polamalu

Key Cuts

DE Brett Keisel
ROLB James Harrison
FS Ryan Clark

Key Free Agent Signings

FS Ed Reed (this is much more of a dream than a serious thought)

Opponents

Home

Baltimore - W - close home victory
Cincinatti - W – By the skin of our teeth (could go either way)
Cleveland - W - Cleveland gets destroyed
Buffalo - W - Ryan Fitzpatrick is one of the most overrated QBs in the league, if he’s still a Bill, he throws 3 picks in this game.
Miami - W – Despite the improvements, I just don’t think Miami is going to be a top team yet. We win this one, albeit in a close and worrisome game.
Chicago - L – This one could go either way
Detroit -W - Keenan Lewis and Ike Taylor earn their cash by shutting down one of the best receivers in the league…even after he catches 3 TD’s. We win this one by 1 point.
Tennessee W - Revenge game, Tennessee gets crushed.

Away

Baltimore L - Another close game but this time, they protect their homeland.
Cincinatti W - Close game, defensive TD clinches it (or it doesn’t)
Cleveland W - the only time this game is close was before the opening kick off.
New England W - New England has one of their few bad games (or they have one of their best)
NY Jets W - New York Circus..need I say more? Seriously..I just don’t see the Jets being good.
Green Bay L - Their offense is still for real, even if their defense isn't.
Minnesota W - This one could go either way, honestly AP plays in purple...scary thought. (or Minnesota pounds us into the ground)

Oakland - W – It’s Oakland, I think we prove to them last season was a fluke. We win by 3 TDs…or I’m wrong…

Best Case Scenario 13-3 - #1 Seed, on the road to #7
Worse Case Scenario 5-11 (losses to Baltimore twice, Cincy twice, Oakland, NE, GB, Minnesota, Detroit, Chicago, & Tennessee)

I did say, a few different times elsewhere that I believe we will win the division for the next two seasons. I do actually believe that. But at the same time that goes with having a great draft and a major resurgence. There is potential for our 2013 to be anywhere from a 4-12 season to a 14-2(unrealistic) season…it really depends on what happens with our roster, I think 10-6/11-5 is the most realistic.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much turnover are you expecting the Steelers won't finish above .500 if they let all those players walk. They'll be fielding a bunch of different PS players all across the board. That would be a horrible off season we'd be the the Pirates.

Please put up your 53 man roster! Because we'd have a lot of free money to give to nobody as the Steelers don't sign FA's.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a tad early for the predictions of how we will finish I think based on what we draft and how FA plays out could swing the W/L ratio dramatically.... However, I do enjoy the lookout for next year....Based on our opponents....

[/b]Re-Signed[/b]
Will Johnson
-E.Sanders
-S.McLendon
-J.Dwyer --- Even though I would strongly consider not re-signing him (he is young however)
-Batch OR Leftwich - one of them gets re-signed...I hope both don't
-M.Starks
-Burress (Although I think he won't I would)
- Redman..... I think he is our best back....most heart anyways
-R.Foster (If we look at C.Warmack - the stud guard...I would let foster walk)
-G.Warren
-Legursky - definitely kept...how could you cut this guy....makes no sense.
round if they don't... I think big snack re-signs or retires.
- Foote - You have him down as a free-agent- I thought he had another year....if he doesn't I think he is brought back based on how S.Spence recovers in Camp...eitherway Foote is back...

[/b] WALK [/b]
-K.Lewis - If he really thinks he's worth 6-8 million a year I let him walk...I would like him back however....
-Batch OR Leftwich (I'd prefer to keep Batch)
-Mendenhall
-Wallace (I would highly consider Franchising him)
-L.Pope
-B.Johnson
-King
-Mundy - very dependent on how we draft....he knows the system...might be a late camp cut...
- Kapinos - I thought was pretty decent, but I do like how Butlet played...likely a camp casualty.
-Hampton....age and knees.....finally change the guard...although Id like one more grooming year out of him.

[/b] Restructures[/b] I agree with who you have...

[/b] Key Cuts [/b] - I think you fell off the deep end....
-Keisel....although his salary is highish....he is a staple to our defense and is still great.....I don't see him getting cut....
-Harrison - IMO had an awful season, where he played maybe well in 3 games...I think his days are up....
-Clark??? Seriously.....I'm assuming you cut him because you say E.Reed signs with us....which I like Reed.... I don't want him at this time in his career - especially when your cutting arguably our best player that last few years....
-Colon....time to go.

[/b] Status/Key Signings/Considerations [/b] - This section again is quite based on where we draft....but this is how I'd go...

QB - Ben, Batch (re-signed), FA/Drafted

(1) QB - M.Moore (2Cool - based on what happens with lefty and batch....as i state earlier I would like one to leave...and bring somebody in....via FA or draft (5-7th round or Undrafted) or even re-consider J.Johnson....? The Qb we had in camp this year....as for moore... I really like him as a QB i think he has a strong arm, is smart and is quite mobile... I would consider him an upgrade over both lefty and batch...

(2) QB - D.Anderson (29) - I remember his pro-bowl year.....i think he has the tools and I might get slack from this but he is a big qb and can sling it ...most of the time....i think he could be considered....likely not but....I would

(3) Qb - B.Gradkowski (30) I remember the year he beat the Steelers....mobile has a good arm...should be considered...has game experience and could be a solid back up for a few years.

RB - Redman (re-signed), Dwyer (re-signed), Batch.... FA/Draft

RB- I think we strongly consider bringing someone in or drafting as we had IMO the worst running team since D.Staley was our back....

(1) Tim.Hightower- I think he runs pretty hard and could be considered....has good speed and is pretty big 222lbs....I would take a look....and he has good hands out of the backfield...

WR - Depending on Wallace.....Again I would strongly consider franchise tag.

Brown, Sanders (re-signed), Cotchery, Burress (re-signed...)

(1) S.Smith (27) - If we don't franchise wallace....we have I believe a need for WR....either through the draft or FA... I think S.Smith...might be out of our price range, im not sure...but I think he would be a good fit in our offense....even though I love the tall wide...

(2) J.Cribbs (29) - I have been always a fan of Cribbs... again likely out of our price range...but I would love to see him in a Steelers uniform... I think he adds a dynamic to our offense...

(3) L.Murphy (25) - Likely gets re-signed....but great size....young and could develop into something...should be considered...

TE - Miller, Paulson, Undrafted FA, Late round Drafted...

I don't think we do much here...although I think Miller won't be ready for the season....I think we do minimal here for depth....but maybe someone in the later rounds (5-7th round)...

Tackle - Adams, Starks (re-signed), Beachum, Gilbert (although I have a feeling he might be moved to Guard)

Due to our cap situation I don't see much being done here outside of signing Starks....maybe some depth through

Guard - Decastro, Foster (re-signed---I would try...dependent on draft), Malecki, Beachum

We could be looking at this position through the draft....we unlikely get Warmack....but if he's there I'd take him....if not, I like Foster.

Center - Pouncey, Legs (re-signed).

nothing more needed to say.

[/b]DEFENSE[/b]

End - Keisel (re-signed), Heyward, Hood, Woods

I like where we are with our ends....however, some camp bodies could push considering cutting Keisel's departure...but I think it's been more Heyward and Hood's inability to overtake the position.

NT - McLendon, Ta'amu, DRAFT

I think we look at this position in the draft....and that's that.

OLB - Woodley, Worilds, Robinson, Carter

- With Harrison shown the door...Worilds is given the keys in camp...I don't see the front office comfortable with this....they draft one or maybe 2 at this position....I could also see Spence given a look based on his speed and small stature along the same lines as Harrison...mind you needs to bulk up!

MLB - Timmons, Foote, Slyvester, Spence

I think we consider a lot here but do little

CB - Taylor, Allen, Brown,Victorian

I think Lewis is lost to FA and the front office gambles that Allen and Brown can fit the bill.... consideration for the draft is 2-4 round....

Safety- Polamalu, Clark, Allen, Mundy

A position I believe needs to be considered in the first few rounds....(1-3)....no one is brought in....

[/b]Schedule[/b]

Home
Baltimore (L), Cincinnati (W), Cleveland(W), Buffalo (W), Miami (W), Chicago (W), Detroit (L),Tennessee (W)

Although I think the Steelers are a better team, Lions and question marks at Corner could lead this to be our only loss of the season at home, outside the toss up game with the Ravens.

Away
Baltimore (W), Cincinnati (L), Cleveland (W), New England (L), N.Y. Jets(W), Green Bay (L),Minnesota (W), Oakland (W)

A toss up game to Cincy and the tough loss at NE which could be a win - as I see them taking another step back....GB will be tough and I think the Steelers show ponder his back in Minn....

I could see the Steelers with an 11-5 record if they play like the should....again they were on pace for that this year and they took a nose dive... rebounding from an 8-8 record is done well in Pitt...however, a lot of questions marks could require a stern hand from the F.O....I still see a better season with Haley going forward....
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I could see Cincy easily winning the North with either Baltimore or Pittsburgh sneaking into the playoffs as perhaps the 6th seed.

Personally I'm in no hurry to see a quick fix to get this team just back into the playoffs. It takes sometime to gel and synthesize a great roster and I don't expect that to happen over night. It most likely will be a down year in Pittsburgh terms as based on the current roster, even an infusion of great talent will take time to mature.

Despite all the injuries I'm still happy with what we got in this years draft class as a roster builder. Two more good years of drafting and we will be back in the discussion to get Ben #7 before he departs in 2016.

I'd say anywhere 6-10 to 10-6. It will just be a transition of talent issue, hardly a coaching fault although many will want to place that blame. Similar to Cowher's 98-00 years, 7-9, 6-10, 9-7, it just happens.

...you have a forum resume?
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
At this point I could see Cincy easily winning the North with either Baltimore or Pittsburgh sneaking into the playoffs as perhaps the 6th seed.

Personally I'm in no hurry to see a quick fix to get this team just back into the playoffs. It takes sometime to gel and synthesize a great roster and I don't expect that to happen over night. It most likely will be a down year in Pittsburgh terms as based on the current roster, even an infusion of great talent will take time to mature.

Despite all the injuries I'm still happy with what we got in this years draft class as a roster builder. Two more good years of drafting and we will be back in the discussion to get Ben #7 before he departs in 2016.

I'd say anywhere 6-10 to 10-6. It will just be a transition of talent issue, hardly a coaching fault although many will want to place that blame. Similar to Cowher's 98-00 years, 7-9, 6-10, 9-7, it just happens.

Well said!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see there is discussion as to having either the Steelers or the Patriots to open up the season on Thursday night in Baltimore.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
I see there is discussion as to having either the Steelers or the Patriots to open up the season on Thursday night in Baltimore.

I think New England makes much more sense plus the home team usually wins this which would be a great way to start off the season to see New England lose.

Save the rivalry games for ratings and intrigue for later in the season at least week 5.

...you have a forum resume?
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
How much turnover are you expecting the Steelers won't finish above .500 if they let all those players walk. They'll be fielding a bunch of different PS players all across the board. That would be a horrible off season we'd be the the Pirates.

Please put up your 53 man roster! Because we'd have a lot of free money to give to nobody as the Steelers don't sign FA's.

My expectation is, if all those guys really did walk, we would go out and actually grab some undervalued FA's.

But your opinion is noted and appreciated Ty SP.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

My expectation is, if all those guys really did walk, we would go out and actually grab some undervalued FA's.

But your opinion is noted and appreciated Ty SP.

The Steelers cap issues will have to be balanced out between this year and next year. I fully expect all those players you suggested either to be released this year/next year or let walk in FA.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 2013 Opponents & Early Predictions Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:

Key Resignings

FB Doug Johnson <-- Will Johnson is our starter, And David Johnson was before. Never heard of Doug
HB Jonathan Dwyer
WR Emmanuel Sanders
DT Steve McClendon
LB Steve McClendon <-- Not sure who this is supposed to be
CB Keenan Lewis <-- He wants Top money and won't get it here

Free Agents that Walk

QB Charlie Batch <-- If they Both Walk
QB Byron Leftwich <--Who is our back up now?
HB Isaac Redman
HB Rashard Mendenhall
WR Mike Wallace
WR Plaxico Burress
TE Leonard Pope
LT Max Starks
OL Ramon Foster <-- See Legursky
C Greg Warren <---Why would he leave all of a sudden
C Doug Legursky <--So we're keeping Colon and losing all depth behind the most injury prone linemen in league??
DT Casey Hampton
MLB Larry Foote
LB Brandon Johnson
CB Justin King
FS Ryan Mundy <--See
SS Will Allen <--Ryan Clark
P Jeremy Kapinos

Key Restructures

QB Ben Roethlisberger
LOLB LaMarr Woodley
SS Troy Polamalu

Key Cuts

DE Brett Keisel
ROLB James Harrison
FS Ryan Clark <-- So we cut one of our leaders on defense and lost Both Back ups for his position?

Key Free Agent Signings

FS Ed Reed <--- I know you said dream but We don't have cap for Clark Let alone the money Reed could get
[/quote]
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2013 Opponents & Early Predictions Reply with quote

byerly724 wrote:

That was actually simply a typo. I was writing and editing my thoughts on a word document and improperly edited that line of it.
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Opponents & Early Predictions Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
byerly724 wrote:

That was actually simply a typo. I was writing and editing my thoughts on a word document and improperly edited that line of it.

He wasn't having a go at you. He was asking who you were thinking of when you mistyped.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Opponents & Early Predictions Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
byerly724 wrote:

He wasn't having a go at you. He was asking who you were thinking of when you mistyped.

Yeah no, I know, the only reason I commented on it is because...I JUST noticed it..lol. I am working on another mock.. an even more interesting one than my last. So I peaked in at my 'old work' and saw it lol.
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Opponents & Early Predictions Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
byerly724 wrote:

Yeah no, I know, the only reason I commented on it is because...I JUST noticed it..lol. I am working on another mock.. an even more interesting one than my last. So I peaked in at my 'old work' and saw it lol.

Who is it supposed to be out of interest?

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Opponents & Early Predictions Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
byerly724 wrote:

Who is it supposed to be out of interest?

Now that I look at it.. I think I meant to put Stevenson Sylvester in there, in fact..that's exactly who it was SUPPOSED to be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: