Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

incognito_man Mach 4 - Officially the Offseason (ski babes)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: incognito_man Mach 4 - Officially the Offseason (ski babes) Reply with quote

Ok, not officially a ski babe, but she showed up on the google search and deserves mention:

Key Moves
Woodson Gone.
Finley Back.
Ivory Signed.
Shields Extended.
2nd for Jennings.

TRADE DOWN with Arizona who moves up for a QB. We get their 2nd and 3rd.

Round 2 - Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

Put up some monster numbers in the Big12 this year. LOVE his ability to force fumbles when running past the QB (if he misses the sack). Great power and hand use. Will be part of a rotation to keep Clay fresh and to challenge Perry for snaps. Always good to have more pass rushers. Curious to see how he tests.

Round 2 - Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina

Could use some more DLine help and Williams has some incredible raw talent and needs some refinement to realize his potential. Needs some gym work probably but would contribute immediately and serve as insurance against all our FA headed into 2014.

Round 2 - Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati

After reading how "tenacious" of a blocker he is, I was shocked at how quick he looks and fluid receiving the ball. Looks like a great well-rounded TE that we could use even if Finley is back. Otherwise provides great insurance if he's not. Nice looking TE.

Round 3 - Chris Faulk, OT, LSU

We need another injured OLineman like I need another hole in my head, but if he drops to this point (and I think he might) he is excellent value. Would provide nice depth at OT and allow Newhouse to focus on backing up the interior. Also good insurance in case Sherrod has lasting effects from the injury or doesn't pan out.

Round 3 - Christine Michael, RB, TAMU

Excellent tools just needs to stay healthy and put it all together. Has the ability to be a game-changer at the position and gives us some home-run ability we otherwise lack. Not sure Starks in on this team in 2013.

TRADE - we trade our 4th and 5th to move up in the 4th.

Round 4 - Trevardo Williams, OLB, Connecticut

Jumped out on tape to me, liked him and our staff always seems to be looking for more LB bodies. Has some pass-rush/blitzing ability and should be a ST player immediately.

Round 4 (comp) - Corey Fuller, WR, Virginia Tech

Track star turned football player with only one year of production. Has great speed and looked pretty fluid out there for being out of football for a few years at Kansas running track. Has good hands and could develop into a deep threat we could use on this offense. High upside I think.

Round 6 - Rontez Miles, S, California (PA)

Productive at the small school. Dominated the competition. Excellent measureables and a good storyline (motivated player). Will take awhile to learn the position but could excel on S.T. early.

Round 7 - D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston

Lucky to be alive after tearing a vein in his heart in practice (95% fatal), he has an interesting story. If he med checks ok he came on strong after being a JUCO transfer and has some high upside.
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 TEs?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Faulk pick because if Sherrod isn't the answer, Faulk is a 1st round talent that we can plug in at LT without spending a 1st rounder on him. I am fine with taking Okafor in the 2nd I just don't really want him at 26. I like Kelce a lot, and Sly Williams is a great pick!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
2 TEs?
huh?
packman0709

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised me on the Corey Fuller pick but I like it, not the most gifted WR from VT but a harder worker than Marcus Davis, was a very underrated part of a bad VT offense

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can come out of the draft with those first 5 picks, I think everyone in Titletown ought to be extremely excited for next year. The only problem position going into next year then is likely S, and I really do not see a S in this class that is going to be an upgrade on day 1 of the regular season in this entire draft. The only guy that I think has the potential to be all world in this D is Eric Reid, but he would really need to surprise me with his combine numbers to be certain in that claim.
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
Pugger wrote:
2 TEs?
huh?

Opps! My bad. Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
I like the Faulk pick because if Sherrod isn't the answer, Faulk is a 1st round talent that we can plug in at LT without spending a 1st rounder on him. I am fine with taking Okafor in the 2nd I just don't really want him at 26. I like Kelce a lot, and Sly Williams is a great pick!

We really don't know if Sherrod is or isn't the answer just yet. He must have some potential or else we wouldn't have drafted him in the first round.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivory I believe is a RFA so I doubt the Packers will have any shot at him.
A 2nd for Jennings for just plain silly. Do the math 13 or 14 million guaranteed for 1 year of service and giving up a #2. Besides, the Packers would have zero money for any free agent if they tag Jennings - again its a math issue. The team has to set aside money for the franchise player and any of their own RFA's they intend to put a value on plus their rookie signings.
You have (3) 2nd round picks and not one for perhaps the biggest need RB? I think that is a real miss.
An OLB in round 1 when we can assume Perry is almost like getting another #1 this year becuase he didn't play much last year - silly pick. To top it off another OLB is picked later which makes no sense.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
A 2nd for Jennings for just plain silly. Do the math 13 or 14 million guaranteed for 1 year of service and giving up a #2. Besides, the Packers would have zero money for any free agent if they tag Jennings - again its a math issue. The team has to set aside money for the franchise player and any of their own RFA's they intend to put a value on plus their rookie signings.
You have (3) 2nd round picks and not one for perhaps the biggest need RB? I think that is a real miss.
An OLB in round 1 when we can assume Perry is almost like getting another #1 this year becuase he didn't play much last year - silly pick. To top it off another OLB is picked later which makes no sense.

Why wouldn't they have a shot at him? He is unlikely to receive a 2nd round tag (too expensive for NO to pay their #4 RB). He will likely only get a right of first refusal tag.

Again, tag-n-trades are dependent on contracts being worked out. Jennings is worth a 2nd rounder. Plus, the goal of these mocks isn't to be deathly accurate because nobody can, it's to discuss prospects, and the trade is a vehicle to include another prospect.

I have a RB in the very next round Laughing

Pass rushers are a premium. We lost BOTH our starters at one point this season. Clay has missed time the last 2, Perry had multiple injuries. OLB depth is badly needed. A guy who can rush the passer is extremely valuable in this defense, easily worth a 1st round pick.

Trevardo might be an ILB.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
If we can come out of the draft with those first 5 picks, I think everyone in Titletown ought to be extremely excited for next year. The only problem position going into next year then is likely S, and I really do not see a S in this class that is going to be an upgrade on day 1 of the regular season in this entire draft. The only guy that I think has the potential to be all world in this D is Eric Reid, but he would really need to surprise me with his combine numbers to be certain in that claim.
i think the first five guys are heavily discussed except maybe Kielce who I REALLY like. Really was hoping to get some insight on fuller. Seems like a very intriguing prospect.
rbens06

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:

Ivory is a restricted free agent, but the Saints are not in the best cap situation and there is a good chance they either do not tender him or tender him at the lowest value. Seeing that they already have Ingram and Thomas and a bad cap situation they probably would not match an offer for him.

I believe the cap hit for Jennings as a franchise tagged wide receiver would be about $10 million. Seeing that we cut Woodson, who has a cap of about $10 million, the math would work. Also, we would get that money back after the trade is complete. There is a big economic risk in tagging and trading Jennings because if a trade does not work then we have to shell out that money to him instead of guys like Matthews, Raji, and Rodgers. However, from a math standpoint the numbers would work.

I do not think you can pigeon hole us into having to get a running back in the second round. It very well could be that the value of the running backs available at each pick is not right. Also, there are reports of TT really liking Micheal and he very well could see the value in Michael in the 4th far exceeds the value of any guy he would take in the second. I like the idea of getting a guy like Bernard or Lacy in the second, but if we do not get a second rounder I would not want us to reach for someone just because we "need" to get high pick runner.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packman0709 wrote:
Surprised me on the Corey Fuller pick but I like it, not the most gifted WR from VT but a harder worker than Marcus Davis, was a very underrated part of a bad VT offense
sounds like you must watch some vatech football. What else can you tell us about fuller? See improvement throughout the year? Any hands or routes issues?
KManX89

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:

Actually, I could see it for a number of reasons:

1) Having a 3 edge-rusher rotation could never hurt us, see: Giants, with JPP, Tuck, and Osi. Just think, we could have our own 3-headed-monster rotation of Matthews, Perry and Okafor, except with OLBs, which is basically the 3-4 equivalent of a 4-3 DE.

2) It allows us to use a 4-3 formation on occasion, with Perry and Okafor lining up as DEs. It allows us to use some other new formations as well. Imagine Perry, Matthews and Okafor all rushing the QB at once... how on earth will opposing DCs gameplan for that?

3) Nick Perry said he wanted to play with his hand in the dirt, this gives him some chances to do so with us.

4) This ensures no significant drop off in pass rush if either Matthews or Perry gets hurt (provides great depth).

5) Matthews is our best coverage LB, having Perry and Okafor rush the edge with Matthews dropping into coverage on certain downs could do wonders.

All-in-all, a great mock. Love the first 2 picks, though the lack of a C is somewhat troubling, as others have said before me.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:

2) It allows us to use a 4-3 formation on occasion, with Perry and Okafor lining up as DEs. It allows us to use some other new formations as well. Imagine Perry, Matthews and Okafor all rushing the QB at once... how on earth will opposing DCs gameplan for that?
TBH, other DC's probably wouldn't gameplan for our pass rush Wink Couldn't help it... But I am on board with a higher pick OLB. Clay is our best pass rusher but I think he could match up with a Vernon Davis, Kyle Rudolph, pass catching TE's of the world and be physical enough with them off the line and athletic enough down the field that we could possibly take some of those guys out of the game, 5-15 plays a game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: