Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Get Rodgers' Contract done now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pay him....
ASAP
88%
 88%  [ 22 ]
Wait for Contract to be up
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 25

Author Message
driftwood


Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 6443
Location: Milwaukee
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

judging by how TT has done AR's contract before, it'll probably get done next off season prior to his final year
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ketchup


Joined: 13 May 2009
Posts: 13939
Location: Milwaukee, WI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get it done now. No point in waiting. His price will only go up consider inflation and the fact that guys like Flacco, who is no where close to Rodgers level, is going to be handed a ton of money. Just get it down and move on.
_________________

Kempes on the custom sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
CWood21


Moderator
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 35341
Location: 'Merica
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As valuable as Aaron Rodgers is to our franchise, right now Clay Matthews is Priority #1. He's set to become a free agent at the end of the year and the Packers have a limited amount of cap space right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Pack4life7


Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 3240
Location: Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
As valuable as Aaron Rodgers is to our franchise, right now Clay Matthews is Priority #1. He's set to become a free agent at the end of the year and the Packers have a limited amount of cap space right now.


Agreed.
_________________
Ted brought us Clay

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo


Same Old Jay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
ugLymayNe


Joined: 31 Oct 2006
Posts: 12564
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
As valuable as Aaron Rodgers is to our franchise, right now Clay Matthews is Priority #1. He's set to become a free agent at the end of the year and the Packers have a limited amount of cap space right now.


That is the only reason it will get pushed to next offseason.
_________________
@PJHotel_
Uglystik1072<---Gamertag

Sig brought to you by Justo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spilltray


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 10416
Location: Green Bay, WI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
As valuable as Aaron Rodgers is to our franchise, right now Clay Matthews is Priority #1. He's set to become a free agent at the end of the year and the Packers have a limited amount of cap space right now.


Agreed, just due to the order contracts expire, Matthews and Raji are probably higher priority, if only because of the closer impending deadlines.

They may have limited cap space at the moment, but once you figure Saturday, Driver, and Jennings off the books, in addition to Finley's contract expiring after 2013, and a good amount of money opens up.
_________________
Wilfred wrote:
Memory is like the Packers when they are behind by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter... It comes back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CWood21


Moderator
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 35341
Location: 'Merica
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
They may have limited cap space at the moment, but once you figure Saturday, Driver, and Jennings off the books, in addition to Finley's contract expiring after 2013, and a good amount of money opens up.


Right now, I've got the Packers at $6,802,685 in cap space and that's with Jeff Saturday off the books, and Greg Jennings and Donald Driver not factored in. Pencil in 5 million for draft picks, and you've got roughly 1.8 million in "effective" cap space.

A decision on Charles Woodson is going to come sooner rather than later. Either, he converts his roster bonus and base salary into a signing bonus that can be prorated over the last two years of his deal effectively keeping him in Green Bay for the rest of his career. By doing that, the Packers open up $4,775,000 in cap space. If they cut him outright, they save $10,000,000.

Clay Matthews currently has a cap hit of $2,672,500 and assuming he gets a similar contract to what Tamba Hali just received from the Chiefs means his AAV is going to have to jump to 11.5 million. I'm not sure there is a way to retain Charles Woodson unless he wants to come back and play for close to the veteran minimum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
packerfan50


Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 286
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but no athlete, in my mind, is worth more than $5million a season. So what, they can run, throw, jump etc better than the average person. But at the end of the day they are no better than you or me. I know this is the reality of it, but really? The numbers will continue to rise over the years and there is nothing that can be done except pay them. Aaron is a valuable player to the Packers, no doubt and if he gets $20 + million a year than so be it, but to me it is sickening to hear these guys talk after their days of making millions and nothing was invested and now they have nothing to get through everyday life, really? Or how they need the league to pay all of their benefits when they can contribute some of their own money towards it. Whatever, just a rant. Aaron is a good guy, can't see him ever be super greedy, just hate seeing a team load up 1 guy with all of the money and forget the rest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DavidatMIZZOU


Joined: 09 Apr 2009
Posts: 9414
Location: The ZOU
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packerfan50 wrote:
I'm sorry, but no athlete, in my mind, is worth more than $5million a season. So what, they can run, throw, jump etc better than the average person. But at the end of the day they are no better than you or me. I know this is the reality of it, but really? The numbers will continue to rise over the years and there is nothing that can be done except pay them. Aaron is a valuable player to the Packers, no doubt and if he gets $20 + million a year than so be it, but to me it is sickening to hear these guys talk after their days of making millions and nothing was invested and now they have nothing to get through everyday life, really? Or how they need the league to pay all of their benefits when they can contribute some of their own money towards it. Whatever, just a rant. Aaron is a good guy, can't see him ever be super greedy, just hate seeing a team load up 1 guy with all of the money and forget the rest.


That is where I disagree, a lot. These guys have special skills that you and I cannot learn or practice enough to obtain. They make really really wealthy guys (or in the Packers case, a company) a lot of money. Aaron Rodgers brings a lot more than $20million to the team and league. These guys earn their money.
_________________
GO PACK GO!

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
incognito_man


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 31271
Location: Madison
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packerfan50 wrote:
I'm sorry, but no athlete, in my mind, is worth more than $5million a season. So what, they can run, throw, jump etc better than the average person. But at the end of the day they are no better than you or me. I know this is the reality of it, but really? The numbers will continue to rise over the years and there is nothing that can be done except pay them. Aaron is a valuable player to the Packers, no doubt and if he gets $20 + million a year than so be it, but to me it is sickening to hear these guys talk after their days of making millions and nothing was invested and now they have nothing to get through everyday life, really? Or how they need the league to pay all of their benefits when they can contribute some of their own money towards it. Whatever, just a rant. Aaron is a good guy, can't see him ever be super greedy, just hate seeing a team load up 1 guy with all of the money and forget the rest.


So you prefer the owner keep all the money?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ugLymayNe


Joined: 31 Oct 2006
Posts: 12564
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Right now, I've got the Packers at $6,802,685 in cap space and that's with Jeff Saturday off the books, and Greg Jennings and Donald Driver not factored in. Pencil in 5 million for draft picks, and you've got roughly 1.8 million in "effective" cap space.


Isn't money pushed to the following year, though? We had 10 million extra this year I thought.
_________________
@PJHotel_
Uglystik1072<---Gamertag

Sig brought to you by Justo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CWood21


Moderator
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 35341
Location: 'Merica
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
Isn't money pushed to the following year, though? We had 10 million extra this year I thought.


I believe Clayton has us around 7 million in rollover money, but I'm hesitant to pencil that in for two reasons. 1.) I'm not sure how official that number is. Like myself, the numbers aren't really well distributed publically. I think it's in the ballpark, but not sure it's the actual number. 2.) Ted will almost certainly push money into next year. Hence the reason why I'm hesitant to add that to our cap space. They certainly could use it, but is it beneficial long term for the Packers?

EDIT: Here's the link.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
rbens06


Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 793
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
ugLymayNe wrote:
Isn't money pushed to the following year, though? We had 10 million extra this year I thought.


I believe Clayton has us around 7 million in rollover money, but I'm hesitant to pencil that in for two reasons. 1.) I'm not sure how official that number is. Like myself, the numbers aren't really well distributed publically. I think it's in the ballpark, but not sure it's the actual number. 2.) Ted will almost certainly push money into next year. Hence the reason why I'm hesitant to add that to our cap space. They certainly could use it, but is it beneficial long term for the Packers?

EDIT: Here's the link.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy


I agree with you on how the rollover is utilized. I have seen us have the same/similar amount in rollover too and think TT might be hesitant to use it too. There are ways we can get some more cap room that makes much more sense before we touch the rollover money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rbens06


Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 793
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
They may have limited cap space at the moment, but once you figure Saturday, Driver, and Jennings off the books, in addition to Finley's contract expiring after 2013, and a good amount of money opens up.


Right now, I've got the Packers at $6,802,685 in cap space and that's with Jeff Saturday off the books, and Greg Jennings and Donald Driver not factored in. Pencil in 5 million for draft picks, and you've got roughly 1.8 million in "effective" cap space.

A decision on Charles Woodson is going to come sooner rather than later. Either, he converts his roster bonus and base salary into a signing bonus that can be prorated over the last two years of his deal effectively keeping him in Green Bay for the rest of his career. By doing that, the Packers open up $4,775,000 in cap space. If they cut him outright, they save $10,000,000.

Clay Matthews currently has a cap hit of $2,672,500 and assuming he gets a similar contract to what Tamba Hali just received from the Chiefs means his AAV is going to have to jump to 11.5 million. I'm not sure there is a way to retain Charles Woodson unless he wants to come back and play for close to the veteran minimum.


I have similar numbers to you as well, I think I have us around $7.8 million during the offseason because we only have to account for the top 51 players. Plus that does not factor in the resignings we will have to do too. Either way, we have some cuts/restructures that will need to be done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pugger


Joined: 01 May 2010
Posts: 8492
Location: N. Fort Myers, FL
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packerfan50 wrote:
I'm sorry, but no athlete, in my mind, is worth more than $5million a season. So what, they can run, throw, jump etc better than the average person. But at the end of the day they are no better than you or me. I know this is the reality of it, but really? The numbers will continue to rise over the years and there is nothing that can be done except pay them. Aaron is a valuable player to the Packers, no doubt and if he gets $20 + million a year than so be it, but to me it is sickening to hear these guys talk after their days of making millions and nothing was invested and now they have nothing to get through everyday life, really? Or how they need the league to pay all of their benefits when they can contribute some of their own money towards it. Whatever, just a rant. Aaron is a good guy, can't see him ever be super greedy, just hate seeing a team load up 1 guy with all of the money and forget the rest.


All entertainers (and I consider professional athletes entertainers) make ridiculous coin but that is what the market is. If we want to be competitive we have to fork over big bucks to keep our good players or they'll gleefully go elsewhere.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group