Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Get Rodgers' Contract done now?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pay him....
ASAP
88%
 88%  [ 22 ]
Wait for Contract to be up
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 25

Kampman74

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Get Rodgers' Contract done now? Reply with quote

So Flacco is now Superbow MVP and wants Drew Brees type money AKA 20 mil a year, if Flacco is making 20 mil a year what is/should Rodgers get?

And do you guys think that TT/Ball should start working on that deal to maybe get it done before Flacco hits open market or most likely gets the tag and then gets a deal worked out? I know we don't have twenty mil now, but we can backload it and it will just average out to 20 a year anyways.

Just kinda scary putting all of your money into one guy is going to cost you a player here or there and not make the overall team better. Just sayin'

I dunno maybe I making this thread to early. But if you cut Rodgers done to like five mil less a year then what he might get then could be a decent, not big name guy, signed for a while. It would help the team out huge.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it done just so the media isn't up his can all year about how much he wants. I doubt he will act like Joe Flacco and say he is going to stick it too us on TV. We have no questions as to whether he is elite or not, pay him, nothing to think about.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
BadgerBoy001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy deserves 20+ per year, but I'm not entirely sure when is the right time to make the deal. Management usually knows how to handle it. I would at least try to put it off until the cap goes up.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobody should vote for let it run out. Should be done before the draft, possibly before free agency. Hopefully before Flacco's.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question: 10 years or just 8?
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:

6 year extension has him as our QB through the age of 36.

I'd guess a 6 year extension for $125million.

Would give him an average of about $18million over the next 8.
MUOH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it done now so they can start working on who they are going to retain and how the remaining dollars will be allocated. $23-25 million is the likely landing point.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadgerBoy001 wrote:
The guy deserves 20+ per year, but I'm not entirely sure when is the right time to make the deal. Management usually knows how to handle it. I would at least try to put it off until the cap goes up.

My thinking exactly. We could always look to extend him at 20M per year (keeping the current final years of his deal and bumping it up afterwards). He'd have his deal, we wouldn't have additional cap concerns for another 2 years.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
ajhawk5047

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

I think we'd be lucky if we got him for 18 million a year, but 6 years for 125 would be about 21 million a year and I think thats reasonable, considering Brees' last contract. Thats about a million more a year, plus a year longer than Brees'.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MUOH wrote:
Get it done now so they can start working on who they are going to retain and how the remaining dollars will be allocated. $23-25 million is the likely landing point.

won't come close to averaging that when you include his next 2 seasons he's already under contract for.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajhawk5047 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

I think we'd be lucky if we got him for 18 million a year, but 6 years for 125 would be about 21 million a year and I think thats reasonable, considering Brees' last contract. Thats about a million more a year, plus a year longer than Brees'.

a 6 year extension for $125million is an average of $18million over the next 8.
rbens06

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would like it done sooner rather than later, but just to play devil's advocate waiting until next offseason may be the best strategy. He will still have one year left on the deal and we will have an extremely favorable cap number for 2013, which would allow us to extend Matthews and Raji, both of whom are in their final year. We could take the $10-15 million we would have given to Rodgers and extend one, if not both of the aforementioned guys. Also, there is a good chance we have guys like Woodson and possibly Pickett off the books making it easier to get the deal done.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My honest thoughts are to wait until we can't anymore. If he isn't demanding it, don't do it. He will be the highest paid player ever. Why rush into that contract?

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do it before his last year under contract. Next offseason. That's the only time you do extensions--save the most money, set the right precedent, ignore all the actual media coverage that your seeing Flacco get right now.
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbens06 wrote:
I too would like it done sooner rather than later, but just to play devil's advocate waiting until next offseason may be the best strategy. He will still have one year left on the deal and we will have an extremely favorable cap number for 2013, which would allow us to extend Matthews and Raji, both of whom are in their final year. We could take the $10-15 million we would have given to Rodgers and extend one, if not both of the aforementioned guys. Also, there is a good chance we have guys like Woodson and possibly Pickett off the books making it easier to get the deal done.

This is what I was thinking - next offseason to take care of our fabulous QB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: