Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coverage Linebacker vs Pure Pass Rusher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Coverage Linebacker vs Pure Pass Rusher Reply with quote

As I think about it, we play in a league with TEs as major weapons. They are very hard to cover, and you need a very good Coverage LB, like a Patrick Willis type of player. And, you can never have enough pass rush, especially when you play Cam Newton and Matt Ryan twice a year. So, I was thinking, if we keep Tez at OLB with Galette, what do we have besides the run thumper, Curtis Lofton? David Hawthorne? I just don't like Hawthorne. In fact, I like Casillas more than him, but that's for another story. Our secondary was put in a scheme they dont fit well in, and were incosistent. Understandable. I don't think our secondary is as bad as people think. Get them a good front 7, and the right scheme, they'll excel to they're max in it. What if we trade down to the 20's an pick up a 3rd or 2nd round pick, and draft Kevin Minter. Best coverage LB I've seen coming out of college in a while. This will allow Tez to play on the outside and keep progressing there, with Galette already a pure beastly pass rusher. Lofton to stop the run, Minter to stop the pass. This will help out extremely as our secondary can have 2 monster pass rushers, a guy who can shut down screens and TEs, and a run stopper. They can then focus on their men, and doubleteam people like Julio Jones if they have to. I really think it will help our secondary and we can pick up Matt Elam in the 2nd with our traded pick. BW Webb in the 3rd. Maybe DJ Swearinger if still on the board. I'd say it's a winner draft. Get rid of our so-terrible-it's-funny safeties, and eliminate the screen and TEs. Pass rushers in Jordan, Tez, and Galette. With a big block shedder in Hicks. Sounds good to me.

DE- Akiem Hicks
NT- Brodrick Bunkley
DE- Cam Jordan
OLB- Junior Galette
ILB- Curtis Lofton
ILB- Kevin Minter
OLB- Martez Wilson
CB- Jabari Greer, BW Webb
FS- DJ Swearinger
SS- Matt Elam
CB- Patrick Robinson, Corey White (?)
Porter22

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why many here believe Dion Jordan should be our man. He has all the tools to cover TEs in the NFL!
Injured Reserve: WR Joe Morgan
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
That's why many here believe Dion Jordan should be our man. He has all the tools to cover TEs in the NFL!

I also believe it should be Jordan at 15. This was mainly in case we put Tez on the outside. Then we will be set at OLB Abd Minter would be a good choice. I do agree though, put Tez inside and Jordan outside IMO.
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:

Exactly! Tez should play ILB with Lofton.

DE- Akiem Hicks
NT- Brodrick Bunkley
DE- Cam Jordan
OLB- Junior Galette
ILB- Curtis Lofton
ILB- Martez Wilson
OLB- Dion Jordan
CB- Corey White
FS- Malcolm Jenkins
SS- Matt Elam
CB- Patrick Robinson

^NS922 on the sig^
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
Porter22 wrote:

DE- Akiem Hicks
NT- Brodrick Bunkley
DE- Cam Jordan
OLB- Junior Galette
ILB- Curtis Lofton
ILB- Martez Wilson
OLB- Dion Jordan
CB- Corey White
FS- Malcolm Jenkins
SS- Matt Elam
CB- Patrick Robinson

I agree.. Did you forget Jabai Greer on purpose?
Raves

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of Elam, and this is strictly due to coverage skills, I don't see any secondary player in this draft coming in and starting right away. The idea that we could draft 3 rookie secondary players and they would all start/push for playing time is very unlikely.

Jenkins for as bad as he was last year will not be beat out by a rookie that we pick up in the 3rd round.

Now I do agree we have several areas of need.

ILB-Coverage guy much like you believe

SS-Someone that can cover between the 20's as well. I really like Harper in GWs scheme, but with a 3-4 we won't need him in the box like we once did and that will make a big difference.

NT-I don't believe Bunkley is going to be the answer there. Depending on the scheme we either need a guy that can clog lanes and not get pushed off the line or get into the backfield consistently. I don't see Bunkley excelling or even good at either and would rather replace him due to that.

CB/FS-We always seem to have issues with our CBs being hurt so getting another one, especially if it's a starting caliber, aka FA CB, then it would really help. Another option to rectify this is to move Jenkins back to CB and bring in another FS. Either way we would fix this issue and I think Jenkins could be a very good FS if we bring in a better coverage SS, someone like Kenny Phillips, but lots of options there.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Coverage Linebacker vs Pure Pass Rusher Reply with quote

Easy answer... if we are to select a LB at 15, I expect that guy to be able to do both.

The way I see it only 2 players in this draft do this well enough to warrant the 15th selection... Jarvis Jones & Dion Jordan, but will either be available?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
jcvoodoo wrote:
Porter22 wrote:

DE- Akiem Hicks
NT- Brodrick Bunkley
DE- Cam Jordan
OLB- Junior Galette
ILB- Curtis Lofton
ILB- Martez Wilson
OLB- Dion Jordan
CB- Corey White
FS- Malcolm Jenkins
SS- Matt Elam
CB- Patrick Robinson

I agree.. Did you forget Jabai Greer on purpose?

Greer should restructure and be nickel. IMO.

^NS922 on the sig^
ARust

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've posed one of the toughest questions really. I'm glad you guys have ideas on the best direction here, cuz maybe that means the gm/coaches will have a strategy instead of almost guessing like me.

So much easier to identify the best options on offense since so much is already good, and so few of the core pieces are leaving.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: