Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT: Harbaugh vs Harbaugh.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Donut


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 12537
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Donut wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Donut wrote:
Well this is over. An undeserving sper champion and a disgusting effort by 49ers.



Undeserving? They went on the road and beat the #1 and #2 seeds in the AFC and are about to knock off the consensus #1 team in the NFC

The Ravens might be unlikeable, but this is one of the strongest and best post-season runs of the past decade. They absolutely deserve to be champions

They got helped by the refs to get into the playoffs. They have all the PEDs happening. Add in the fact they're dirty and despicable makes it harder.


Helped by the refs - silly conspiracy talk

All the PED's - Ok, but so did the Pats so I guess they would have been "undeserving" as well.
Quote:

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Jacoby Jones might be a mediocre WR but he's a better kick returner than anyone the Pats have had in years and is a better #3 WR than the Pats have had in awhile as well.

Doesnt he tend to drop kicks a decent amount? I'm hoping Demps will provide the big time KRer ability.


He has had issues with fumbles and drops, this is true. I'm not counting on Demps for anything but maybe he can be their explosive element on KR.

Honestly I'd say ATL and SF were more deserving. Though i think GB got shafted baddly because they should've been at home(though you may consider that a ref conspiracy(probably not because it blatant bad call and review wrong)).

Though i Jones really much better than Hobbs was? Maybe its me just looking back more positively on Hobbs than most but I dont remember him fumbling much and he was a good returner. As for Demps I always liked him and think he can contribute on STs next yr.
_________________
dhunt2402 wrote:
You're like the patron saint of roster bubble players Laughing
Adopt a Patriot: Tim Wright
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tzimisce


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 49254
Location: Tuntmore Tower
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing Pollard leave Moss wide open made me smile.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
Status: Emergent
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25214
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Gore is going to be one of those guys who is criminally underrated 10-15 years from now (he already is and history will probably forget him even more)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tzimisce


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 49254
Location: Tuntmore Tower
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh this is beautiful.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
Status: Emergent
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Sciz


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 15856
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Seeing Pollard leave Moss wide open made me smile.
There are maybe three safeties in the NFL who can hit hard, have the size to get away with hitting hard, and aren't liabilities in coverage.

Bernard Pollard is not one of those safeties.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richter


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 12582
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Donut wrote:
Well this is over. An undeserving sper champion and a disgusting effort by 49ers.



Undeserving? They went on the road and beat the #1 and #2 seeds in the AFC and are about to knock off the consensus #1 team in the NFC

The Ravens might be unlikeable, but this is one of the strongest and best post-season runs of the past decade. They absolutely deserve to be champions

I know you'll argue this until you're blue in the face, and I haven't watched the game, so I can't comment on this particular performance, but there hasn't been a really deserving champion in years. The postseason is a joke now, or as one astute writer put it, the "fetishization of small sample sizes". Any crap team can amble in, get hot and win with how watered down the league is now. Nobody in their right mind thinks the Ravens are the best team this year, or that the Giants were last year, but that's not what the Lombardi represents at this point, anyway.


Who is/was more deserving than Baltimore? Not New England. Not Denver. I'm struggling to see a team that could have won the Super Bowl that wouldn't have qualified as a "crap team" in your book.

The days of dominant teams steamrolling the league on a regular basis are gone. The only teams that come close to that are the 2007 Patriots who choked away their season and the 2004 Patriots who weren't even the best team in the AFC that year.

If the Ravens hold on (and that's starting to look shaky), they will absolutely be deserving. I don't understand how any team that can run the playoff gauntlet they have and win the Super Bowl (if that happens) can be considered undeserving. There isn't a single team in this year's playoffs that would have been a "deserving" champ by the criteria you set forth.

There's no such thing as a playoff gauntlet any more. Denver and New England were both better teams. If the postseason convinces you otherwise, we'll simply never see eye to eye on the matter.


The Steelers were better than the Patriots in 2004. They beat the Pats head to head and had a better record in the regular season. Thus, the 2004 Patriots were undeserving by your logic. Right?

Going on the road and better "better teams" is impressive, period. If Denver and the Pats were truly deserving of being called the "best" they would have taken care of business in the playoffs against such an inferior team.

The fact of the matter is the Pats were 0-2 vs Baltimore and looked absolutely awful against them at home in the playoffs. How you can call them a better team is beyond me. If the Pats were 15-1 or something, maybe I could agree. But this is a team that lost to 3 playoff teams in the regular season and dropped an awful game to Arizona.


You have a stronger argument with Denver, but even then their regular season schedule makes their "betterness" questionable.

If you seriously think one or even two games actually decides anything, I really don't know what to say. What's a better sample size, 16 games or 1? Even if Baltimore has the advantage in the head to head matchup, that doesn't make them the better team overall. You love to point out the Pats' flaws, but did you actually watch the Ravens this season? Way, way more to point out there. You have to actually evaluate teams on the whole of their performance, not just the ones you want to cherry pick. I have no problem with the 49ers if they win, they're a legitimate elite team. If you see an elite team in the Ravens, and not just a team that's been riding an emotional high and playing on a hot streak, I really, really have to wonder what team you've been watching.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SFPatsFan


Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Posts: 2394
Location: San Francisco
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are going crazy in the streets right now. The Niners are still down and shouldn't real fans be watching the game, not out walking and using their smartphones?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tzimisce


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 49254
Location: Tuntmore Tower
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, these Harbaughs get so damn animated, it's pretty hilarious.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
Status: Emergent
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25214
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Even if Baltimore has the advantage in the head to head matchup, that doesn't make them the better team overall.


Oh, so because the Patriots were more talented (I guess that's your argument?) they were more deserving? Does execution and coaching not count? How can the Patriots be so much better to be a "deserving" champion and the Ravens be a "crap team" if they lost to Baltimore twice?

Quote:
You love to point out the Pats' flaws, but did you actually watch the Ravens this season? Way, way more to point out there.


I never said they were a great team. An elite team. Or a team without big flaws

Quote:
You have to actually evaluate teams on the whole of their performance, not just the ones you want to cherry pick.


And the "whole of their performance" includes the post-season does it not? I'd say their wins - against "better" teams (Denver, New England, San Francisco) mean more and are more impressive than the Pats wins against Buffalo, Tennessee or the Jets. But I guess you don't see it that way. Is racking up wins against garbage teams (some of which were barely wins) in some way more impressive than beating top playoff teams?

Quote:
I have no problem with the 49ers if they win, they're a legitimate elite team.


The 11-4-1 49ers are a "legitimate elite team" but the team they are losing to in the Super Bowl - The 10-6 Ravens - are a "crap" team. Yeah, I don't get that. Execution on the biggest stages, against the best teams - to me, that is the mark of a "deserving champion". Either of these teams would be worthy champions in my mind.

Quote:
If you see an elite team in the Ravens, and not just a team that's been riding an emotional high and playing on a hot streak, I really, really have to wonder what team you've been watching.


I don't see an elite team. I don't see the "best" team in terms of talent. I don't see the most well coached team. I do see a team that is IMO deserving of being called Super Bowl Champions.

Calling the Ravens a "crap" team or saying they are undeserving of being a rightful champion is a bridge too far for me.

Like you said, we're probably never going to see eye to eye on this. I don't expect the most talented 53 man roster or best run organization to win the Super Bowl. Any team that makes the playoffs (with double digit wins) and can bring home the Lombardi is a deserving champion in my eyes. If the Pats had won the Super Bowl in 2006, I wouldn't have thought they were undeserving. The 2011 Patriots had huge flaws but I wouldn't have thought them undeserving.


Last edited by mcmurtry86 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NinjaZX6R


Joined: 05 Jun 2011
Posts: 9300
Location: Columbus, Ohio
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last game of the season can't hold anything back
_________________
"Let's show some toughness. Yeah...Toughness and go makes some plays"
-Tom Brady
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25214
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 49ers have really hurt themselves by wasting those 2 time outs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richter


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 12582
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
Even if Baltimore has the advantage in the head to head matchup, that doesn't make them the better team overall.


Oh, so because the Patriots were more talented (I guess that's your argument?) they were more deserving? Does execution and coaching not count? How can the Patriots be so much better to be a "deserving" champion and the Ravens be a "crap team" if they lost to Baltimore twice?

Quote:
You love to point out the Pats' flaws, but did you actually watch the Ravens this season? Way, way more to point out there.


I never said they were a great team. An elite team. Or a team without big flaws

Quote:
You have to actually evaluate teams on the whole of their performance, not just the ones you want to cherry pick.


And the "whole of their performance" includes the post-season does it not? I'd say their wins - against "better" teams (Denver, New England, San Francisco) mean more and are more impressive than the Pats wins against Buffalo, Tennessee or the Jets. But I guess you don't see it that way. Is racking up wins against garbage teams (some of which were barely wins) in some way more impressive than beating top playoff teams?

Quote:
I have no problem with the 49ers if they win, they're a legitimate elite team.


The 11-4-1 49ers are a "legitimate elite team" but the team they are losing to in the Super Bowl - The 10-6 Ravens - are a "crap" team. Yeah, I don't get that. Execution on the biggest stages, against the best teams - to me, that is the mark of a "deserving champion". Either of these teams would be worthy champions in my mind.

Quote:
If you see an elite team in the Ravens, and not just a team that's been riding an emotional high and playing on a hot streak, I really, really have to wonder what team you've been watching.


I don't see an elite team. I don't see the "best" team in terms of talent. I don't see the most well coached team. I do see a team that is IMO deserving of being called Super Bowl Champions.

Calling the Ravens a "crap" team or saying they are undeserving of being a rightful champion is a bridge too far for me.

Like you said, we're probably never going to see eye to eye on this. I don't expect the most talented 53 man roster or best run organization to win the Super Bowl. Any team that makes the playoffs (with double digit wins) and can bring home the Lombardi is a deserving champion in my eyes. If the Pats had won the Super Bowl in 2006, I wouldn't have thought they were undeserving. The 2011 Patriots had huge flaws but I wouldn't have thought them undeserving.

Actually, that raises a good point. What about the 2005 squad? They got jobbed in Denver, but that was not a Super Bowl winning squad anyway. If they had gotten hot and won it, though, I definitely would have considered them undeserving. The point of the whole exercise is to separate the wheat from the chaff, and the current model fails to do so, in my estimation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sciz


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 15856
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you not attack Ray Lewis inside on those plays?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SFPatsFan


Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Posts: 2394
Location: San Francisco
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
The 49ers have really hurt themselves by wasting those 2 time outs

Kaepernick hurt the 9ers by throwing an uncatchable ball on 4th and Goal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25214
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
Even if Baltimore has the advantage in the head to head matchup, that doesn't make them the better team overall.


Oh, so because the Patriots were more talented (I guess that's your argument?) they were more deserving? Does execution and coaching not count? How can the Patriots be so much better to be a "deserving" champion and the Ravens be a "crap team" if they lost to Baltimore twice?

Quote:
You love to point out the Pats' flaws, but did you actually watch the Ravens this season? Way, way more to point out there.


I never said they were a great team. An elite team. Or a team without big flaws

Quote:
You have to actually evaluate teams on the whole of their performance, not just the ones you want to cherry pick.


And the "whole of their performance" includes the post-season does it not? I'd say their wins - against "better" teams (Denver, New England, San Francisco) mean more and are more impressive than the Pats wins against Buffalo, Tennessee or the Jets. But I guess you don't see it that way. Is racking up wins against garbage teams (some of which were barely wins) in some way more impressive than beating top playoff teams?

Quote:
I have no problem with the 49ers if they win, they're a legitimate elite team.


The 11-4-1 49ers are a "legitimate elite team" but the team they are losing to in the Super Bowl - The 10-6 Ravens - are a "crap" team. Yeah, I don't get that. Execution on the biggest stages, against the best teams - to me, that is the mark of a "deserving champion". Either of these teams would be worthy champions in my mind.

Quote:
If you see an elite team in the Ravens, and not just a team that's been riding an emotional high and playing on a hot streak, I really, really have to wonder what team you've been watching.


I don't see an elite team. I don't see the "best" team in terms of talent. I don't see the most well coached team. I do see a team that is IMO deserving of being called Super Bowl Champions.

Calling the Ravens a "crap" team or saying they are undeserving of being a rightful champion is a bridge too far for me.

Like you said, we're probably never going to see eye to eye on this. I don't expect the most talented 53 man roster or best run organization to win the Super Bowl. Any team that makes the playoffs (with double digit wins) and can bring home the Lombardi is a deserving champion in my eyes. If the Pats had won the Super Bowl in 2006, I wouldn't have thought they were undeserving. The 2011 Patriots had huge flaws but I wouldn't have thought them undeserving.

Actually, that raises a good point. What about the 2005 squad? They got jobbed in Denver, but that was not a Super Bowl winning squad anyway. If they had gotten hot and won it, though, I definitely would have considered them undeserving. The point of the whole exercise is to separate the wheat from the chaff, and the current model fails to do so, in my estimation.


Sounds like you're advocating for a playoff-less system. Just let the best team in the AFC face the best team in the NFC.

Any other option (and even that has plenty of flaws) is going to result in just about every champion being "undeserving" due to the role that injuries, luck and matchups play in football.

The Ravens holding on and stopping the 49ers on 4 straight goal-to-go plays with 2 minutes to go in the Super Bowl is impressive and it's tough to imagine the 2012 Pats or Broncos having such a stand.


Last edited by mcmurtry86 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group