Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pluto Article: Taylor at NT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Pluto Article: Taylor at NT? Reply with quote

I thought all of this was interesting. I left in all the good stuff.

Quote:
About the Browns' defense...

2. The new coaching staff loves Billy Wynn as much as the old staff, and believes he can easily be a 3-4 end. They also believe 320-pound John Hughes can add depth at tackle or end.

3. So the Browns believe they have several line candidates with Taylor, Rubin, Wynn and Hughes. The Browns believe all but Taylor can play some defensive end. They indicate Frostee Rucker is possibility at end, but I wonder about that.

4. The Browns signed Rucker to a 5-year, $20 million deal before the 2012 season. On that contract, $8 million was guaranteed and he has been paid $5.5 million between his signing bonus and first-year salary. The last three years covering about $12 million aren't guaranteed. Rucker was a 4-3 end in Cincinnati and with the Browns. So it wouldn't cost them a lot to cut him if necessary.

7. Horton's 3-4 often has a nose tackle lined up on the shoulder of a center, either right or left. The hope will be that Jackson can "hide" a bit behind a massive player such as the 335-pound Taylor, then make plays. I still wonder if Jackson will be as effective.

8. Guess what defensive lineman played the most snaps last season? It was defensive end Jabaal Sheard (85 percent). At 255 pounds, he's not big enough to play defensive end in a 3-4. The Browns may turn him into a "attack the quarterback" end/outside linebacker. Mangini developed that role for Marcus Benard in 2010, when he led the team with 7.5 sacks, playing only 40 percent of the snaps.

About the Browns...

1. For all the talk about the switch on defense, the Browns know the biggest problems are in the secondary. They were 0-5 when Haden missed games. Veteran Sheldon Brown was the other starter at cornerback, and he is a free agent whose doubtful to return.

5. Bottom line, they probably need two cornerbacks. They can use another safety to pair with T.J. Ward. Usama Young seems more like a backup. By the end of 2012, the old coaching staff was higher on rookie Tashaun Gipson than Young.

6. The only tight ends under contract for 2013 are Jordan Cameron and Brad Smelley. Ben Watson and Alex Smith played most of the snaps, but both are free agents. Watson, 32, played in all 16 games and caught 49 passes. But he has a history of concussions, and that along with his age may be warning signs.

7. Smith was used as a fullback/tight end. Get this stat: He caught 13 passes. Two were for first downs, the other 11 totaled 20 yards.

8. Last season at San Diego, Norv Turner used a fullback on 35 percent of the snaps. That ranked 11th in the NFL. The Browns ranked 21st between Owen Marecic and Smith. Marecic is back, but it's hard to picture him as a starter. So maybe the Browns will sign someone, especially because Turner does like a power running game.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2013/02/terry_plutos_talkin_about_the_69.html

I found this interesting b/c when doing my research on Horton's defense in ARI last year... Campbell and Dockett played a combined 3661 snaps over the last 2 years. Their starting NT, Dan Williams (who is very similiar to Rubin) only played 627 snaps over the last 2 years.

Does Horton Favor athletes on the DL? Could Rubin get traded? Is Star a possibility at #6?
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the browns defense...

2 agree

3 they believe Rubin and Hughes can play DE but not Taylor? I dont agree with that...

4 I agree that Rucker looks to be the odd man out if anyone, but more to do with age, contract, desire to play in the 43 than saying he cant translate.

7. I think Jackson will be productive, but not superstar.

8. haha really? great reporting. haha

about the browns...

1. Yup....

5. yup....

6. He forgot Gronkowski and Smelley is a FB/TE, and yes watson is gone

7. yes smith sucks and is gone

8. FB a need? haha I wish we thought of that.

thanks for the article.

its been said that horton will use 2-5 sets, and that would account for the increased snaps for the DE compared to the NT -- but that seems pretty dangerous in our division.

If star is sitting their at #6 it would be extremely hard to pass him up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact they think Taylor is a NT and Rubin / Hughes are DEs tell me they just look at size
TeHDruiD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Horton likes to run a lot of A gap blitzes, so makes some sense that he wants a more athletic NT because he's going to draw the double team almost everytime with his penetration opening up the other A gap for his ILB's to overload
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
The fact they think Taylor is a NT and Rubin / Hughes are DEs tell me they just look at size

you really can't believe this, can you?
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeHDruiD wrote:
I think Horton likes to run a lot of A gap blitzes, so makes some sense that he wants a more athletic NT because he's going to draw the double team almost everytime with his penetration opening up the other A gap for his ILB's to overload

Two large run stuffing des (rubin and hughes) with Taylor at nt on run downs with sheard and ? On the edge.... 5-2.

Then Rotate in Rucker and Winn on passing downs for 2-5 looks with our smaller faster LBs in behind....

And Everything in between.

Very Happy sure, why not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I didn't really ever think that Taylor would be in the cards at end but I'm surprised Rubin and Hughes are.
abbs1988

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our D-Line is stacked. Winn. Taylor. Rubin. Stacked any way you look at it. Our main concern should be acquiring LB's who can attack inside ND OUT, and perhaps consider drafting a CB high

LOVE, JOY, PEACE, PATIENCE, GOODNESS, KINDNESS, GENTLENESS, FAITHFULNESS, AND SELF-CONTROL
DaWg_LB.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
candyman93 wrote:

you really can't believe this, can you?

I said the EXACT same thing to myself when I read that.....lol

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
kelbot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of Rubin as a 3-4 DE. I know he played nose in the past, but I think he has the skillset to succeed. He has great mobility and his strength is unquestioned.

I could easily see Hughes play nose, too.

My biggest disagreement is that Rucker should be cut. If willing to work, he could be great in the base 3-4. It essentially masks all his weaknesses. Pluto Rolling Eyes .

D Line is the last thing on my mind. Heckert left the cupboard very stocked there.

Linebackers and Secondary should be highlighted as the biggest needs.

I have a feeling if Moore is gone, we will have a very raw, but very talented Ezekial Ansah on our hands. Or a powerful German. I really think upgrading the pass rush is and should be the priority. As long as that doesn't mean Mingo or Jones, I'm cool with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: