Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BiggsohNasty's Pre-Combine Mock 2/2/13
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: BiggsohNasty's Pre-Combine Mock 2/2/13 Reply with quote

After a successful "rebuilding" season, the goal is simple. Keep building and achieve a point where sustained success is expected. I believe we overachieved to a point and there are still holes, but if Spielman can continue to put together good drafts and make smart moves in FA, we could continue taking steps in the NFC.

Here it is: Biggsohnasty’s Pre-Combine Mock Offseason 2/2/13

Players Re-Signed:

Phil Loadholt-5 yr 22.5 Million
Troy Kropog- 1 yr 300k
Jerome Felton- 3 yr 7.5 million
Marvin Mitchell-1 yr 700k
Jasper Brinkley-2 yr 2 million
A.J Jefferson-1 yr 700k
Marcus Sherels-1 yr 500k
Jamarca Sanford-3 yr 3 million

Players Cut:

Joe Webb
Mchleod Bethel Thompson
Letroy Guion
Brandon Burton

Other Roster Moves:

Jared Allen- Contract extension: 4 yr 32 Million- Bringing cap hit to 12 million for 2013
Kevin Williams- Contract Restructure making new deal worth 3 yrs 15 million

Free Agents:

Greg Jennings: 5 yr 37.5 Million
The Vikings decide that after a few years of cost cutting and “prove it” deals, the time is now to make a significant splash and upgrade the WR position. Jennings gives the Vikings a versatile WR who can play outside, in the slot, make plays after the catch, and mentor the young pups (forshadowing)

Matt Cassel: 3 yr 7.5 mil
I anticipate Cassel getting cut this offseason due to his hefty contract and the Chiefs bringing in a new brain trust. He clearly hasn’t worked out as a starter, but given his experience he makes for an ideal backup.

Donald Thomas: 2 yr 3 million
This fits the profile as a Spielman type move. Thomas is still young (27) and could at worst provide good depth at both guard spots. Best case is he can replace Fusco at RG and have Fusco provide depth at C and G

Deandre Levy: 1 yr 2.5 million
Another Spielman type signing. Levy has shown potential as a pretty good 3 down LB both outside and in the middle. Last year he was bad, but in the previous seasons he was looking like a building block for an up and coming Detroit defense. His experience at multiple LB spots gives him extra value, as does his range in pass coverage.

Trade:
Vikings send Percy Harvin to Cincinnati for 2nd round draft pick (37) and 3rd round draft pick (84)
Cinci sees Harvin as the piece that could put their offense over the top, and with extra draft pick acquired from the Palmer trade, along with the ridiculous amount of cap space at their disposal, they pull the trigger on a deal.

Vikings Trade pick 23 to San Fran for 1st round draft pick (31/32) and 3rd round draft pick (74)
San Fran sees Margus Hunt on the board at 23 and with the extra pick moves up to ensure acquiring him. Justin Smith is getting older and Hunt has the potential to be that kind of player with tutelage.

Draft:
(1st ) #31/32: DeAndre Hopkins-WR-Clemson
Hopkins uses a phenomenal Jr. Season to propel himself into a first round pick. Combines good enough size with smooth route running to gain separation. Compares to Roddy White

(2nd)#37: Xavier Rhodes-CB-Florida State
Spielman loves big corners, and Rhodes is exactly that. He may take a bit longer to transition to the league given his physical style but he has the potential to be a really good corner opposite Chris Cook. Compares to Cary Williams (bleacherreports Matt Miller)

(2nd)#52: Kawann Short-DT-Purdue
Short showed he has talent in the Sr. Bowl, but due to the insane depth of this years DT class, he drops to 52 and Vikes snag him to be Kevin Williams’ long term replacement. Short has the ability to play both 1 and 3 technique and is excellent against the run and provides a good pass rush. Compares to Cory Liuget

Trade: Vikings trade 3rd round picks (74) and (84) to New England for 2nd round pick (59)
The Patriots have always enjoyed stockpiling picks, and could use more picks given they do not have a 4th rounder from the Talib Trade. Spielman has never been shy about moving around in the draft to get his guys.

(2nd)#59: Khaseem Greene-OLB-Rutgers
Greene is a guy who could go a lot higher given his talent, but pure 4-3 LBs tend to drop on draft day. Rutgers has produced some good pros the last few years and Greene looks the part of a 3 down Will LB. He has fabulous speed and range, which allows to track runners in pursuit, the screen game and in man/zone coverage. Compares to Ernie Sims

(3rd)#83: Bacarri Rambo-FS-Georgia
I admit it, the name gets me. But so does his game. Rambo drops due to the crazy depth at Safety in this years draft, but he has starter potential in the NFL and fits perfectly next to Harry Smith. His ability to play zone concepts, as well as in the box makes him extra valuable but the best thing about his is that he is a ballhawk. The Vikings have been bad at forcing turnovers for a long time, and it needs to change if our defense is going to take the next step. Compares to Dashon Goldson

(4th) #100: Da’Rick Rogers-WR- Tennessee Tech
This one may be a stretch, but crazier things have happened on draft day. It would not surprise me if Rogers is a top 40 pick, nor would it shock me if he lasts til the end of round 4. If not for off and on field issues, Rogers would be a top 20 pick. But he is a legit diva, and got kicked off the team at Tennessee. Having Jennings, Hopkins, Wright and Jenkins make this a surprise luxury pick given the depth at the spot. Compares to Julio Jones

(4th) #118: Hugh Thornton-OG-Illinois
I wanted Alvin Bailey in this slot (so does Spielman I’m guessing), but ultimately I think he goes a few picks earlier. Thornton has faced plenty of NFL caliber DTs over the years in the Big 10 so transitioning to the NFL shouldn’t be too much of a culture shock. Compares to Kevin Boothe (Nfl)

(5th) #150-155: Landry Jones-QB-Oklahoma
This would be overkill if it were a position other than QB. Jones has been a good college QB, but clearly needs coaching as shown by his struggles in the Sr. Bowl. But he definitely has some talent, and the measurable to be at worst a serviceable backup QB. Compares to Blaine Gabbert

(7th)#199-205: Quanterus Smith-DE-Western Kentucky
Another luxury pick. Smith can essentially take a redshirt season due to his torn ACL, and if he can put on some weight, he could eventually turn into a really nice rotational DL. Compares to Bruce Irvin

(7th)#215-225: Zac Stacy-HB-Vanderbilt
At this point in the draft, it’s a complete crapshoot and who even knows if these picks will even make the roster. Stacy is a guy I think profiles as a prototype 3rd down type back. He is small, but shifty and surprisingly strong. He catches the ball well, has experience in a NFL pipeline conference. Compares to Chester Taylor

Notes: We all know the draft is a total guessing game to begin with, and some of the guys included could easily go higher then I have them going, but every year there seems to be 50 1st rd prospects, 50 2nd rd prospects etc. so players who ppl think will go higher are going to drop and there will be guys drafted higher then anybody would’ve thought. I think with the given depth at some of the positions (Wr, DT, S) the Vikings could get starter quality players in the middle rounds.

Depth Chart
Offense:
QB : Ponder-Cassel-Jones
HB: Peterson-Gerhart-Asiata-Stacy
FB: Felton
WR: Jennings-Jenkins-Childs
WR: Hopkins-Wright-Rogers
TE: Rudolph-Ellison-Carlson
LT: Kalil-Love
LG: Johnson-Thornton
C: Sullivan-Fusco
RG: Thomas-Fusco
RT: Loadholt-Kropog

Defense:
RE: Allen-Reed
DT: Williams-Ballard
DT: Evans-Short
LE: Robison-Griffen
OLB: Greenway-Mitchell
MLB: Brinkley-Levy-Cole
OLB: Greene-Mckenzie
CB: Cook-Robinson-Jefferson
CB:Winfield-Rhodes-Sherels
FS: Raymond-Rambo
SS: Smith-Sanford-Blanton
Special Teams
K: Walsh
P: Kluwe
LS: Loeffler
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dayum. dude did some work here.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Nzd07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good mock but I don't think Cincy would do that trade.

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Adopt a T-Wolf: Ricky Rubio APG: 9.6 SPG: 3.09 RPG: 4.8
Mattwaukee wrote:
If I'm taking players for next year I'm taking Cobb over anyone not named Johnson.
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the draft. However I just cant see us trading Harvin. We are stupid if we do. Outside of Peterson he might be the next best player in this league. By trading him we're doing nothing but taking a step back. Our WR's are bad enough as is. If we keep Harvin we probably wont draft a big time WR. Either way I just dont trust Greg Jennings. Im not sure what he would be without Rodgers and I think its a risky sign.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this draft I do think alot of it is too good to be true but you never know

I think the only way we should trade harvin is if he makes it known he does not want to be there but if there is anything we can do to make him happy and stay I think we keep him

I also think Rambo would start and levy would prolly start but I do like the picks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a solid draft, no doubt. I would prefer to keep Harvin vs Jennings, but both would be go-to type guys. I think Harvin brings a bit more to the team than Jennings would.

I'm not sure Loadholt goes for that kind of bargain . . . frankly, I'd love to see the Vikes sign him for 6 or 7 years for $40+ mil with $15-18 guaranteed. It would be awesome to have him, Kalil and Sullivan on the line for a few years. Look back at every team that succeeds long term, that offensive and defensive line chemistry and longevity is crucial to success.

I'm a bit surprised by the move to keep Brinkley, and yes, I have been a big supporter of him. But with his inability to cover running plays sideline to sideline, I just don't see him being retained. Many have argued it's his lack of coverage skill that hurts the team, but there were too many missed tackles to justify his return.

I love the first 4 picks, and I'm waiting to see what/how Rogers performs and says at the combine.

Not sold on Rambo -- but ya gotta luv the name! I'd rather the Vikes go after a super-strong OG at this point, if not sooner.

Don't know if Landry Jones will last til the 5th, but if he does, the Vikes need to pull the trigger on him.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow You have ERFA's Kropog and Sherels signing for less than the ERFA tender. Same goes for RFA AJ Jefferson

Arrow Restructuring doesn't add years to K-Will's contract.

Arrow DeAndre Levy could get more than 2.5M on the open market.

Arrow Draft is near ideal if the players last to where you have them. I would sub in Johnathan Cyprien for Baccari Rambo as I feel he's a better fit for this defense. I have huge doubts that Short, Rhodes, and Greene are available where you have them, but, as you said, it's a crapshoot right now.

Arrow Signing Matt Cassel and drafting Landry Jones doesn't make a ton of sense to me. With Jones flat out not being a good QB.

Arrow Nitpicking but Harrison Smith is technically the Free Safety for the Vikings.
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Arrow You have ERFA's Kropog and Sherels signing for less than the ERFA tender. Same goes for RFA AJ Jefferson

Arrow Restructuring doesn't add years to K-Will's contract.

Arrow DeAndre Levy could get more than 2.5M on the open market.

Arrow Draft is near ideal if the players last to where you have them. I would sub in Johnathan Cyprien for Baccari Rambo as I feel he's a better fit for this defense. I have huge doubts that Short, Rhodes, and Greene are available where you have them, but, as you said, it's a crapshoot right now.

Arrow Signing Matt Cassel and drafting Landry Jones doesn't make a ton of sense to me. With Jones flat out not being a good QB.

Arrow Nitpicking but Harrison Smith is technically the Free Safety for the Vikings.

Shows what I know when it comes to the cap. Thats why you're the boss and I am merely a typing hand Very Happy

Does restructure basically just mean "paycut" or would we be lowering his cap hit this yr while adding more to the next years? My goal was to simply drop his cap number this year but give him more guarenteed yrs thus making the deal "realistic" for both sides. But again, I have no idea what either side is thinking.

How much do you anticipate Levy getting? It seems as though the 4-3 olb spot has been devalued over the last couple years, and by all accounts he had a down season. I cannot imagine him getting more then 4 million per year, but maybe 2.5 was low.

I would be totally fine with Cyprien if he were the pick, I like a bunch of safeties in this draft class, but I didnt really get to watch Cyprien at the sr bowl so I'm just going on what I saw outta Rambo.

I could see Short, Rhodes and Greene all going before our picks, but depending on what site you look at, Short is expected to go between 25 and 55. I think with the depth this yr at DT, he could fall. Rhodes is a guy I could see falling a bit given his physical style (which will probably get him flagged alot right away), and the ascension that other CBs have had during the sr bowl week. Greene plays 4-3 olb so he could drop as well given the lack of need at that spot, but if he tests well I could see him going higher I spose.

Signing Cassel and drafting Jones ensures that we have 3 Qbs at different stages in development and clearly upgrades across the board. Jones has talent, but needs alot of coaching. If I had to pick between him and MBT, I take Jones.

Is Raymond a SS then? I think Smith has played both because when Sanford is in, you are right. But theres no way Raymond is a SS. In the grand scheme of our defense, I don't think anybody cares who is the Free and who is the strong, as long as the both don't suck. In this scenario, I would envision Harry playing more at the LOS while Rambo or Cyprien patrols deep coverage. But the goal is be interchangeable.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Vikings depth chart they have Smith at FS and Sanford/Raymond at SS. You're right that there isn't much difference in our defense. That's why I said it was nitpicking Very Happy

-----------

The big thing to know with restructuring contracts is that the player ends up getting the exact same amount of money.

If we take Kevin Williams as an example...

He has a $7M base salary which means he gets paid 1/17 of that every week, but it's not guaranteed.

So to restructure him the Vikings could take up to $6,060,000 of his base salary (leaving him with a 10 year veteran minimum $940K as a base salary) and divide that up evenly between the remaining years of his contract as a signing bonus.

He get's that large up front payment instead of smaller checks and the Vikings get to spread out his cap hit more.

-----------

As far as Levy goes I think he's one of the better 4-3 WLB's on the market, but you're right that the position seems to have devalued a bit so he may not be super expensive.
PurplePeterson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Xavier Rhodes pick but no way that Xavier will fall to the 2nd round! Vikings will have to draft Rhodes at #23
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Levy signing. I think he could be a three down LB. He has experience at MLB and OLB, he could play WLB in base and slide inside to MLB. He has great range in coverage though he doesnt make impact plays in run defense. He is more of the type that makes tackles 3-5 yards past the LOS than actually knifing into the backfield and making impact stops. I wouldnt spend a lot on Levy, generally, there are so many quality LBs in the draft this year I can do without giving a free agent LB a big contract.

I like the 1 year deal and its realistic given the lack of interest for 4-3 WLB and he does have minor injury concerns. Levy is an upgrade for this defense over Erin Henderson at WLB/nickel MLB. Levy had some of his better years earlier in his career when he was playing in Rod Marinelli's Cover 2 defense. Quite good numbers in 2008 and 2009 at MLB and OLB.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levy is good in coverage/space, but he doesn't tackle well.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurplePeterson wrote:
I love the Xavier Rhodes pick but no way that Xavier will fall to the 2nd round! Vikings will have to draft Rhodes at #23

I think he could and he probably will IMO. Can't imagine him lasting long in the 2nd though.
jam8891

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
Love the draft. However I just cant see us trading Harvin. We are stupid if we do. Outside of Peterson he might be the next best player in this league. By trading him we're doing nothing but taking a step back. Our WR's are bad enough as is. If we keep Harvin we probably wont draft a big time WR. Either way I just dont trust Greg Jennings. Im not sure what he would be without Rodgers and I think its a risky sign.

Completely agree. Garvin is far too valuable to us and Christian Ponder's progression to simply trade away. Especially for a 2nd rd pick...that's not really smart. To me, a 1 st rd selection is not enough compensation. I say we keep Harvin. Sign a WR like Massaquoi, Amendola, or a dissent t receiver to stretch the field. Then draft another in the 1st or 2nd. That way we can still develop Wright who displayed much promise this past year...
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Levy is good in coverage/space, but he doesn't tackle well.

Ive heard he is a drag down type tackler, makes a lot of tackles 3-4 yards down field and rarely makes impact plays behind the LOS.

However, id give up some in the ground game to improve the LBs overall ability in coverage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: