Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Adrian Peterson named MVP and Offensive Player of the Year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smetana34 wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
smetana34 wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
So just so I get this straight:

The league MVP led his offense to the 14th rank in points per game? And that's including the points provided by special teams and defense (the Vikes are near the top of the league in that regard). THAT's the MVP?

The award is a joke.

Who do you think is more deserving?

I saw nearly every NFC North game last year: there is no way anyone can tell me Peterson contributed more to winning games than Aaron Rodgers did..

Not only this, but no matter how you try to spin it, QB's do more for their team up and down then RB's do.

4,000+ yards > 2000+ yards
30+ Td's > 10+

They are responsible for 2x the production and making sure everyone on the field is ready to properly execute their assignment. That's why you see them win it more often than not.

AP didn't do anything this season we haven't seen done/approached 3 times in the last decade. He had more yards than CJ and Lewis, but they also scored more. Their seasons were just as impressive.

Well is there a QB that really was head and shoulders above the competition?

And guys, why are you convinced AD got the votes because of what he did for his team? It seems to me he got the votes because he had a season where he destroyed the competition at his position.

Then that wouldn't be the MVP really. That sounds like something that All-Pro selections basically indictate.

Well if QBs are clearly more valuable than RBs, why have the voters gotten it wrong so many times?

Is the problem that the voters dont understand what the award is? Or is the problem that the fans dont understand what the award is? Or is it both?

CK on the sig
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
smetana34 wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
So just so I get this straight:

The league MVP led his offense to the 14th rank in points per game? And that's including the points provided by special teams and defense (the Vikes are near the top of the league in that regard). THAT's the MVP?

The award is a joke.

Who do you think is more deserving?

I saw nearly every NFC North game last year: there is no way anyone can tell me Peterson contributed more to winning games than Aaron Rodgers did..

Not only this, but no matter how you try to spin it, QB's do more for their team up and down then RB's do.

4,000+ yards > 2000+ yards
30+ Td's > 10+

They are responsible for 2x the production and making sure everyone on the field is ready to properly execute their assignment. That's why you see them win it more often than not.

AP didn't do anything this season we haven't seen done/approached 3 times in the last decade. He had more yards than CJ and Lewis, but they also scored more. Their seasons were just as impressive.

Well is there a QB that really was head and shoulders above the competition?

And guys, why are you convinced AD got the votes because of what he did for his team? It seems to me he got the votes because he had a season where he destroyed the competition at his position.

Watt obliterated his competition. He led the league in every relevant defensive statistical category, not just his position. It'd be the equivalent of AP leading the league in yards from scrimmage, yards per carry, and touchdowns.

I agree. But what does that have to do with what I said about the voters and their reasons?

CK on the sig
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:

Well if QBs are clearly more valuable than RBs, why have the voters gotten it wrong so many times?

Is the problem that the voters dont understand what the award is? Or is the problem that the fans dont understand what the award is? Or is it both?

It's the voters. They don't consistently award the MVP to allow people to get a grasp on what their real criteria are.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

It's the voters. They don't consistently award the MVP to allow people to get a grasp on what their real criteria are.

Fair enough. But if there clearly isnt a consistent criteria, why do I see people every year argue that there is, and the voters got it wrong?

I think the only thing they have shown consistently is that they dont vote for who they think is "most valuable to his team." Which is something a lot of people cling to. It is clearly far, far more statistical in nature. Far less in depth.

CK on the sig
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

Fair enough. But if there clearly isnt a consistent criteria, why do I see people every year argue that there is, and the voters got it wrong?

I think the only thing they have shown consistently is that they dont vote for who they think is "most valuable to his team." Which is something a lot of people cling to. It is clearly far, far more statistical in nature. Far less in depth.

I hope that's true because I think that's the worst interpretation of the award.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

I hope that's true because I think that's the worst interpretation of the award.

Dont you think the award would be so much better if it was streamlined? Just give it to "the dominator." At any position. With any record. The dude who just blew it up.

It would be so much more interesting.

I know I am beating a dead horse. I guess I am bored.

CK on the sig
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:

Dont you think the award would be so much better if it was streamlined? Just give it to "the dominator." At any position. With any record. The dude who just blew it up.

I'm ok with awarding as a 'most outstanding player' type of ideal. I disagree with the domination over peers slightly though because that is very, very dependent on the quality of peers at position groups. For instance, there's a high volume of HOF QBs right now. Doesn't make any of them less outstanding or valuable, but it certainly decreases the odds of one dominating the rest.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

I'm ok with awarding as a 'most outstanding player' type of ideal. I disagree with the domination over peers slightly though because that is very, very dependent on the quality of peers at position groups. For instance, there's a high volume of HOF QBs right now. Doesn't make any of them less outstanding or valuable, but it certainly decreases the odds of one dominating the rest.

I'm not married to the idea of the domination being relative to ones peers. Just want to see it go to the guy that kicked the most [inappropriate/removed]. That's how I envision the award. Thats how I think it was originally intended as well.

CK on the sig
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:

I'm not married to the idea of the domination being relative to ones peers. Just want to see it go to the guy that kicked the most [inappropriate/removed]. That's how I envision the award. Thats how I think it was originally intended as well.

Instead of DPOY, have a BAMF award.
Instead of OPOY, have an assassin award.

Get rid of MVP. Then there's no disappointment when defensive players never win, and there's no double award for MVP/OPOY or a 2nd place offensive player award.

Seems logical, so it probably won't happen.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

Instead of DPOY, have a BAMF award.
Instead of OPOY, have an assassin award.

Get rid of MVP. Then there's no disappointment when defensive players never win, and there's no double award for MVP/OPOY or a 2nd place offensive player award.

Seems logical, so it probably won't happen.

I like that idea even better.

CK on the sig
torch1980

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
Well deserved.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankee0724 wrote:
So if a team goes 1-15, but their RB gets 5000 yards and 40 td's [yes, his team's defense is REALLY bad], he wouldn't be up for discussion as MVP? Find that hard to believe.

He wouldn't, because if he were truly valuable then he would have led the team to much more than just one win
moss_is_1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:

Watt obliterated his competition. He led the league in every relevant defensive statistical category, not just his position. It'd be the equivalent of AP leading the league in yards from scrimmage, yards per carry, and touchdowns.

Well, he was 400 yards over the next person, tied with Spiller in yards per carry(on 141 more attempts), 3rd in TDS, 15 more 20+ yard runs then the next best(2nd place only had 12).

I'd say that's obliterating his competition.
Unballed Melon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKWSNx93 wrote:
yankee0724 wrote:
So if a team goes 1-15, but their RB gets 5000 yards and 40 td's [yes, his team's defense is REALLY bad], he wouldn't be up for discussion as MVP? Find that hard to believe.

He wouldn't, because if he were truly valuable then he would have led the team to much more than just one win

You want him to play defense too then?
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
This would be Calvin if we actually won games. Sad

Lack of touchdowns hurts his chances more than the win-loss column.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: