Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Adrian Peterson named MVP and Offensive Player of the Year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:

And the thing is, there is absolutely no justification towards having a bias towards running backs. The position is absolutely not valuable relative to others.

It should not have gone to any quarterback, and it probably should not have gone to Peterson. JJ Watt was the best player in the NFL this year, and deserved to be awarded accordingly.

Wait, so because Adrian Peterson is a Runningback, he shouldn't win? You don't think he was key to our success?

I don't get it at all. Sure guys like Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers are huge reasons to their teams success, but Adrian just went off this year. Not many, if any had quite the success he had at times.

I am pretty sure he is saying if theyre going to use the value aspect of the title to decide the winner, then it shouldnt go to a RB. It should go to a QB. He isnt saying he agrees. He is just saying if that is, indeed, the methodolgy (looking for "who is most valuable to his team") then it shouldnt be a RB. Because, for instance, the argument can be made that the most valuable RB on any team is never going to be more valuable than the most valuable QB.

We are really just saying the award can and should be improved. It's worthless in my eyes as it stands now. No more worthwhile than, say, a spot on the all star team. Because the method and reasons for either are so flawed.

I agree with the fact that QBs are more valuable than RBs but AP got them to the playoffs. Regardless of how many wins. When you see teams winning the SB by winning 10 games in a year, record is not regarded highly it is somewhat dismissed if you make the playoffs.

Look at his second point is what i dont get. AP shouldnt have won it but JJ Watt, why should that be the case? AP in my eyes was more valuable to the Vikings than Watt was to the texans. Not to mention they had just as good a season or maybe even better.

His first paragraph is in regards to my point about the nebulous "value" portion of the title of the award.

His second paragraph is in regards to my point that it should just go to the player that dominated his position the most.

CK on the sig
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see Peterson won MVP. Congrats.

Clearly. I joined this site in 2005 to talk movies.
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just so I get this straight:

The league MVP led his offense to the 14th rank in points per game? And that's including the points provided by special teams and defense (the Vikes are near the top of the league in that regard). THAT's the MVP?

The award is a joke.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:

The league MVP led his offense to the 14th rank in points per game? And that's including the points provided by special teams and defense (the Vikes are near the top of the league in that regard). THAT's the MVP?

The award is a joke.

Who do you think is more deserving?

CK on the sig
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:

The award is a joke.

I saw nearly every NFC North game last year: there is no way anyone can tell me Peterson contributed more to winning games than Aaron Rodgers did.

That's if we're actually using the literal definition of the award. If we're judging best player Watt was the best player in the league.
VikeADunn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:

The award is a joke.

youmad.jpg

[quote="tylerdouglass"]VikeADunn, you're my hero.[/quote]

2013 Adopt-A-Viking: DT Sharrif Floyd
Tk: 2 Sk: Stf: PD: 2 FF/FR:
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:

The award is a joke.

I saw nearly every NFC North game last year: there is no way anyone can tell me Peterson contributed more to winning games than Aaron Rodgers did.

That's if we're actually using the literal definition of the award. If we're judging best player Watt was the best player in the league.

Maybe he would have played better if he didn't play the last 10-11 games of the season with a sports hernia.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/53028/another-layer-to-adrian-petersons-season

pretty unbelievable, huh?

Hopefully next year he can reach his goal of 2500 yards, and then a Superbowl victory.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeADunn wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:

The award is a joke.

youmad.jpg

This is trolling. Stop.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:

The award is a joke.

Maybe he would have played better if he didn't play the last 10-11 games of the season with a sports hernia.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/53028/another-layer-to-adrian-petersons-season

Hopefully next year he can reach his goal of 2500 yards, and then a Superbowl victory.

whether or not he played with a sport hernia is completely irrelevant to whether or not he is MVP.
smetana34

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:

The award is a joke.

I saw nearly every NFC North game last year: there is no way anyone can tell me Peterson contributed more to winning games than Aaron Rodgers did..

Not only this, but no matter how you try to spin it, QB's do more for their team up and down then RB's do.

4,000+ yards > 2000+ yards
30+ Td's > 10+

They are responsible for 2x the production and making sure everyone on the field is ready to properly execute their assignment. That's why you see them win it more often than not.

AP didn't do anything this season we haven't seen done/approached 3 times in the last decade. He had more yards than CJ and Lewis, but they also scored more. Their seasons were just as impressive.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smetana34 wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:

The award is a joke.

I saw nearly every NFC North game last year: there is no way anyone can tell me Peterson contributed more to winning games than Aaron Rodgers did..

Not only this, but no matter how you try to spin it, QB's do more for their team up and down then RB's do.

30+ Td's > 10+

They are responsible for 2x the production and making sure everyone on the field is ready to properly execute their assignment. That's why you see them win it more often than not.

AP didn't do anything this season we haven't seen done/approached 3 times in the last decade. He had more yards than CJ and Lewis, but they also scored more. Their seasons were just as impressive.

Well is there a QB that really was head and shoulders above the competition?

And guys, why are you convinced AD got the votes because of what he did for his team? It seems to me he got the votes because he had a season where he destroyed the competition at his position.

CK on the sig
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:

The award is a joke.

whether or not he played with a sport hernia is completely irrelevant to whether or not he is MVP.

Its just amazing he did with such an injury.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
smetana34

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
smetana34 wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:

The award is a joke.

30+ Td's > 10+

And guys, why are you convinced AD got the votes because of what he did for his team? It seems to me he got the votes because he had a season where he destroyed the competition at his position.

Then that wouldn't be the MVP really. That sounds like something that All-Pro selections basically indictate.

Last edited by smetana34 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
smetana34 wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:

The award is a joke.

30+ Td's > 10+

Watt obliterated his competition. He led the league in every relevant defensive statistical category, not just his position. It'd be the equivalent of AP leading the league in yards from scrimmage, yards per carry, and touchdowns.
reckless123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
smetana34 wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:

The award is a joke.

30+ Td's > 10+

Watt obliterated his competition. He led the league in every relevant defensive statistical category, not just his position. It'd be the equivalent of AP leading the league in yards from scrimmage, yards per carry, and touchdowns.

AD was just as dominant and if you consider the fact he had no supporting cast whatsoever makes it even more special.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: