Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

*Pigsooie's* Pre-Super Bowl Mock Offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: *Pigsooie's* Pre-Super Bowl Mock Offseason Reply with quote

2013 Chicago Bears Offseason:

Alright guys I want to start off by saying I spent a lot of time on this, it's a little bit long so bare with me. This mock is purely what I anticipate Phil Emery doing...This is not what I would do If I was GM. At the end of the day we all have our opinions on what we think management will do during the offseason, but what does it really matter? The only thing that does matter is what Phil Emery does, I want to try my best to guess that... I'm going to start Pre-Super Bowl then do one Post-Combine, then a Final Mock Draft sometime April.

Cuts:
Kellen Davis TE
Devin Hester WR
Matt Spaeth TE
Matt Toeania DT
Roberto Garza C
Matt Blanchard QB
Earl Bennett WR

Phil has shown he is taking control of this team, I think amidst the new coaching changes, this will be the year we see some surprise cuts... When you start looking at cap numbers, there are a few that stick out like sore thumbs... 1. Earl Bennet, after its said and done, no #4 WR in the NFL does or should make $3.5 million a year. He is expendable, along with Devin Hester who has contributed nothing at all. 2. Roberto Garza, another guy I think Emery is ready to part ways with. This Oline is about to see a major overhaul, I think Phil decides to move on at the right time, not a year too late like we're used to with Mr.Angelo...His cap hit is $3 million, which is way too high for his production at this point in his career. The Tight ends should be pretty self explanatory, no way Emery brings Davis back after his sorry year. Matt Spaeth is only used for blocking, he has no business making multiple million a year. Both guys are gone IMO this offseason... I think he looks to Free Agency to fill one TE vacancy, then looks to the mid-late rounds to draft another...Matt Toeania is just a body at this point, I think it'll be a no brainer to get his contract off the books. He has had no production since I can remember. Trestman will want his guy at QB, especially at the #3... look for them to bring someone in via Free Agency or in the late rounds-UDFA.

Let Walk:
Brian Urlacher LB
Chris Spencer G
Chilo Rachal G
Geno Hayes LB
Nick Roach LB
Zack Bowman CB
Nick Roach LB
Israel Idonije DL
Kalil Bell RB

It seems as though Urlachers time in Chicago has come to an end... He's a Lovie guy through and through, I have a feeling the new regime is going to try and move in new direction. This Defense is about to go through a major change as well in a couple years, it's best to move on from players a year early rather than year too late. He isn't worth a new contract of 3-5 million. I'll say it right now, Nick Roach is the most over-rated player on the Bears team, I don't see any chance Phil enters next season with him the starter at MLB. He is serviceable at best, Phil knows that. Given who I have the Bears signing/drafting, Nick Roach has no place on this team with a new contract of 2-4 million which he'll surely command. Idonije is in a really tough spot, it wasn't until I worked from the ground up did I realize he is unlikely to resign with the team this offseason. 1. He could very well get a better contract offer from another team 2. With Pep making 17 million, and Wotton being up for a contract extension next year, it seems to me that it's he or Idonije at this point... If Corey progresses another season he'll surely be a key element to our Defense moving forward, earning him a contract extention. 3. McClellin wasn't selected #19 overall in 2012 as Phil's first ever draft selection as Bears GM to sit at #4 on the Depth Chart. Izzy will take reps away from him, hurting his progression which is much more important to thefuture of this Defense. Pepers, Wootton, Shea would be a deadlly 1, 2, 3 at DE.

Resign:
Lance Louis G- 2 years/5 million: Unfortunetely for Louis, the ACL injury came at the worst time, I really think that hinders him with contract talks in the offseason. I can't see any team willing to gamble ona long contract with him. Not only that, he has said he wants to remain in Chicago, this deal gives him a few years to show he's healthy and worth a high contract. I really think Phil tries to develop Webb, Louis, Carimi as part of the future...
Jason Campbell QB- 1 year/2 million: It's unfortunate to have to give Campbell such a high contract for what he seems to be worth to Chicago. However, I feel Emery still highly values a veteran #2 QB who has leadership experience. Trestman worked with Campbell during the draft process as well, I think they'll elect to resign him for another one year deal. After failing to perform to par in his opportunities as a starter this season, theres no chance any team brings him in as a starter. This likely will be his best shot, best deal.
Nate Collins DT- 3 years/4 million: Collins really showed some upside during his time on the field this season, I think he's fully entrenched himself as the backup UT to Melton. I can't see him getting a high contract just yet, he still needs to show more consistencty. Collins has seen his most progression as a player in Chicago, his most playing time as well, no reason he'd want to move in another direction IMO.
Kelvin Hayden CB- 2 years/2 million: Hayden played very well in his NB role this season, but struggled during his time on the outside. At ths point in his career he's nothing but a #3 CB at best. I'm sure he likes getting playing time in Chicago, his hometown. I bet he resigns, to a higher contract then he was previously on. 1 million a year seems about right.
DJ Moore CB- 2 years/2 million: I hope it doesn't come down to either/Or between he and Hayden, but Moore played poorly in 2012, he was picked on regularly by opposing QB's and seemed lost out there a lot of the time. He's regressed for sure, which is not a good sign going into a contract year. I can't see him getting any high offers, his best shot is to fight for a NB role in Chicago and try and regain his confidence and prove himself to a high contract in several years.
Johnathan Scott OT- 1 year/750k: Scott is a Texas washout who played surprisingly well this season as an emergency Tackle. Given his age and lack of potential upside, and due to the fact he was unsigned, he surely will look to resign in Chicago at any chance he gets. He is valuable to Phil because he has veteran experience and is serviceable as a swing T.
Amobi Okoye DT- 1 year/500k: Most teams passed over Okoye last season due to his injury concerns, I'm not sure he proved anything anything better this season... He likely will try to remain in Chicago where he clearly has had his most success in the NFL. Valuable to Emery because he's familiar with the team, still young with chance of upside, and is solid as a rotantial #4 DT.

Franchise Tag: Henry Melton DT- $8 million: This will be one of the most intruiging parts of the Offseason IMO, Phil could go in a number of different directions. I think its most likely at this point that no contract extension is aggred upon and a franchise tag is inevitable.

Free Agency:

Sign Andy Levitre OL- 5 years/35 million:

http://youtu.be/2mBI98hBFCA
I think going into Free Agency this is going to be Phil's #1 focus, I see a major change in the Oline possibly even 3 new starters. I think he is going to try and give them a leader, an identity, something to build off of. Levitre is an elite Guard who has played in every game of his career. He stepped in and played admirably at LT in 2011 for Buffalo, and he has the ability to play C. When looking at OL, I think Phil is going to value versatility, leadership, durability more than size, anything else. Levitre is the perfect leader for your new Oline. I think he gets exactly what Ben Grubbs got last season in terms of contract, it's the perfect example. Could even be what GM's go off of in the offseason. Buffalo resigned Guard Kraig Urbik to a 3 year/15 million dollar deal earlier this year, which is a sign of what direction Buffalo is heading.

Sign Daryl Smith LB- 3 years/12 million:

Daryl Smith has experience at SLB and MLB in a 4-3 Defense, he has experience leadering a Mel Tucker Defense, and could be just the player that Phil looks for to fill the void left by Brian Urlacher. He has a season ending foot injury that came at the worst time, he was playing some of the best football of his career heading into a contract year. However, a season ending injury to a 30- year old LB is surely to turn some teams away, and givent he changes in coaching and constant rebuilding there in, I don't think he stays in Jacksonville. I think his ideal fit is to a Super Bowl contender, in a scheme he's familiar with, playing for a coach he knows. Seems like a great situation for both teams, we'll see if Phil decides to go this way.

Sign Ramses Barden WR- 2 years/2 million:

http://youtu.be/bZO4H3aM6fo
http://youtu.be/DQtlGOBoTNs
I see Phil looking for more playmakers on the Offense, he knows full well the lack of production from the supporting cast. Barden seemed lost on the depth chart in New York, he has all the physical abilities, just for whatever reason hasn't tied it all together in the league. He has great hands for a guy his size, he seems like a very similar player to Marshall in that regard, the type of receiver that Jay likes to throw too.

Sign Logan Paulsen TE- 3 years/ 4 million:

http://youtu.be/parJsa-Milw
http://youtu.be/sYoIv5APV1s
I think Phil looks to add one TE addition in Free Agency, someone who has no fear crossing the middle of the field making catches in traffic, someone who has good/elite blocking abilities. Paulsen fits the bill nicely, he has all the tools to be a great 3rd down converter and grinder in the trenches. Comes cheap, but with great up[side in the fact that he's barely 25 years old.

2013 NFL Draft:

1- Lane Johnson T- Oklahoma:

http://youtu.be/XSciUhPelqA
http://youtu.be/nmo0LyfOlBY
Jay was pressured on 33% of his passing plays this season, Phil realizes this is the biggest weakness on the team.Something that he will not ignore again....
Quote:
"My thought process was, before we went into the draft, to analyze with our coaches and with our staff, we've got two tackles and we had determined that was our greatest need. We felt good about Lance Louis. He had a solid season before he got hurt. We felt that for the left guard, we had a number of candidates. We had a bunch of guys that had a number of starts. We certainly had enough in reserve, between starters and backups, for the interior play. So for us, it was a tackle question.What's the afe of the two guys that we have? 24. Is there a young tackle in this draft that, at the end of this fall, is going to clearly be better than two young 24-year-old tackles that we have? That's the question I had to ask myself.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2013/01/phil_emery_provides_tremendous.html
[i]I believe whole heartedly that PHil will view Lane Johnson as "a young tackle who at the end of this fall, will clearly be better than the two 24-year-old tackles that we have now." When drafting Oline, Emery has had very little success in the past, most notably in any rounds other than 2-1. The only real bell ringer is Sam Baker in the 1st in 2008, even that is nothing to write home about(Notice the size of Baker, nothing massice like a lot of posters on here think we'll draft"). I think Phil really aims for the pass protectors, not the massive meat graders. I think he knows his best shot at getting a starting caliber LT is right here in round 1, when Johnson falls it's gotta be a no brainer... I've looked pretty closely at the 19 picks ahead of us, Free Agency is going to effect this pick nut in a nutshell. If Long/Bushrod sign in either Arizona or San Diego it'll leave a clear path for the #3 OT to make it to #20. I think Albert, Beatty resign with their respective teams leaving the only teams ahead of us with a need for LT Arizona and San Diego. Right now, this is my guess;
KC(Albert), Philadelphia(Peters), Arizona(Joeckel), San Diego(Fisher), NYG(Beatty), now if Jake Long could sign in either AZ or SD it would push one of the top 2 OT's back, making it very likely Johnson makes it to #20. Now, on the flip side, Johnson does lack some strength and is a little raw in his technique, even with an impressive combine/workouts I struggle to see teams viewing him in the top 15. I think in several years we'll be talking about Lane Johnson as one of the premiere LT's in the NFL. He is going to be a special player, playing TE and QB in highschool making the transistion to OT. He is said to be able to run a sub 4.8 40 yard dash at 6'6" 305 lbs. He has a smooth get out, great feet for a guy his size, he carries his weight extremely well and looks to be able to add another 10 pounds without losing any quickness. Day 1 starter next to Andy Levitre, and what an improved Left side of the Oline.
*Fun Fact: Phil Emery has never selected a Guard or Center in the 1st round.

*TRADE*
Chicago trades pick 2(#51) to Miami for picks 3(#84)
(according to the NFL Trade Value Chart, of which I'm not quite sure GM's even go off of, this fits perfectly. #51=400 points; #79=200, #84=180, = 380 points...)

Miami passed on a WR in round 1 and looks to trade up to get their playmaker that slips out of the top 50(there are ~10 high quality WR's, some have to slip).
I anticipate trading down being a priority to Phil on draft day, he values his fraft picks and I think he tries to gain another one. If Johnson falls to us in round 1 he obviously is staying put, but nobody seems to entertain the idea of trading out of round 2 where It seems to bring just as much if not more value.
There were several viable trading partners; San Fransisco 3rd(#76), 3rd(#96); Minnesota 3rd(#85), 4th(#101, 4th(#119); Tampa Bay 3rd(#75), 4th(#111), 4th(#125)
Only teams picking in the top 5 would have enough points in their respective 3rd and 4th round picks to equal pick #51. Otherwise it will take a 3rd, 4th, 4th or two 3rd's.

3*- Marquise Goodwin WR Texas:

http://youtu.be/bOdsTm_dj2M
http://youtu.be/-C1nnsyw7R0
Quote:
"So I looked at different areas. I looked at percentage of dropped passes. How does that look from league perspective? We were 22nd percentage-wise. We've got to get better.
Phil has made it clear his position on this, the game is about playmakers. He knows the Bears lacked speed last season, they lacked production outside of Marshall, the slot was virtually never thrown too. I see this being a top focus for Emery on draft day.
Quote:
"I still think it comes down to: how many playmakers do you have opposed to the team that you're playing? And are they making plays that are at game-changing instances at the moment of truth moving forward."

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2013/01/phil_emery_provides_tremendous.html
He has shown in the past that he values WR's high, he has a history of selecting them in the upper rounds 1-3. Roddy White(1st/2005), Johnathan Baldwin(1st/2010), Laurent Robinson(3rd/2007), Harry Douglas(3rd/2008), with the league evolving more so now than ever, this is the last of Phil's trends I see him breaking. Look for a WR early, someone who displays elite speed and has P/KR abilities as well. I think he looks for someone in the mold of Dexter McCluster(2nd/2010) who he dafted in KC. Goodwin seems to be exactly that type of player, I remember reading Emery was paying close attention to him at the Senior Bowl but now I can't seem to find the article. Goodwin is an elite athlete, he won the Olympic Trials in Long Jump, was 2x National Champion, and ran a recorded 10.28 100. Check out the video I posted below of him longjumping, he literally looks like he has wings... Unhuman-like. Due to his Olympic training, Goodwin failed to get into the rhythm of the Texas offense this season, which is accountable for his lack of production stat wise. After evaluating emery's first draft as GM of the Bears, one trait was extremely evident, Phil is a risk taker. He came from completely out of left field to select someone who many thought was out of scheme, to selcting an out of shape Alshon Jeffery who mysteriously chose to sit out of every drill and workout at the NFL Combine, to selecting Brandon Hardin in the 3rd, of which he was out the entire 2011 season with injury. Statistics and college production don't seem to be high on Phils list of qualities he looks for in his draft picks. Many will say this is too early for Goodwin, once he does what he does best and competes in Indy with shorts on, believe me he'll be a 3rd round pick. Given the amount of high quality receivers in this years draft class, of which I struggle putting him in the top 10 I can't see him going any higher than the 3rd round. Unless he makes major strides in the upcoming months.

3*- Gerald Hodges LB Penn State:

http://youtu.be/KFPQNY8zdho
http://youtu.be/hw-OUsGSLG0
Another position Emery has found success with in the upper-mis rounds of his drafts, Michael boley(5th/2005), Curtis Lofton(2nd/2008), Justin Houston(3rd/2011), I think he continues this theme and aims for a versatile LB in rounds 2-4 to either start at SLB or sit behind the vets and learn the ropes. Rather than pay Nick Roach 2-4 million, Hodges takes his place coming much cheaper, and with much more upside. I think we'll see 2 new LB's, 3 new OL. The key to success for this team is keeping as much continuity and youth to the Defense while the Offense starts its new era. Even with signing Smith, that's two 30+ year olf starting Lb's, Emery must grab a LB int he upper-mid rounds to develop. Gerald Hodges is extremely underrated IMO, he plays with great leadership and intensity, has the versatility(played WLB for Penn State, but his best fit is MLB IMO). He has a high level of athleticism, shown off during the season by returning ounts for the Nittany Lions. He has potential to be upper class in coverage, which is covetted in this Defense. There could not be a better situation for a rookie LB to walk into then getting to play in between or next to Lance Briggs and Daryl Smith.

4- Brian Schwenke C California:

http://youtu.be/uADPItO7FbI
What do the two Super Bowl teams have in common? Elite Offensive Lines. Emery will see the trend, he will realize his mistakes from last season, and it will be given a high level of attention this offseason. Like I said, I really believe Phil brings in 3 new Olineman. He has never selected a Guard or C in round 1, never in round 2 either until 2011 when he selected Rodney Hudson in the 2nd round. Before that Doug Datish(5th/2007), Quin Ojinaka(5th/2006), Jon Asomoah(3rd/2010), his record shows that he values this position in rounds 3-5, typically on draft day Centers drop more than any other position. Ben Jones was regarded as a top 3 Center by everyone last year and he fell tot he midrounds, I see the same thing happening to Schwenke, who is more likely to go round 5 than round 3. Schwenke was very impressive in one on one workouts during the Senior Bowl week, he seemed to hold up against the better DT's with ease. He went up numerous times against 360lb John Jenkins and performed admirably. I'm going to continue to bring up the versatility, durability, leadership qualities as those I firmly believe will Phils top priorities in selecting Olineman, Schwenke has started 48 out of 50 games in his football career, making 36 starts in 4 years for the Cal Offense, being named Team Captain. Sounds like durability and leadership eh? I think Schwenke is fully capable of starting on Day 1, but a competetion between he and Edwin Williams would be beneficial, someone I'd like to see a little more of I might add...

5. Nick Kasa TE Colorado:[/b]

http://youtu.be/lZ2fpZnUg98
http://youtu.be/U5NLIMNU-U0
Phil realizes the importance of having a reliable TE taget, especially when trying to utilize the middle portion of the field.
Quote:
But we need to get more consistency, playmaker and whether it is adding to the talent mix, I need to do a better job but we need to get more consistent in that midfield area to provide midfield targets for our quarterback because of the way, part of me telling you about these stats, the NFL today, you're going to get oressure on the quarterback. You have to have him have reliable targets in all field areas if you're going to solve that situation, not only improving our overall competetive mix of our offensive line."
No more Kellen Davis...
Quote:
"Kellen had a rough year," Emery said.
I think that's the nice way of saying "Lata sucka"
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-01/sports/chi-phil-emery-hints-chicago-bears-need-upgrade-at-tight-end-20130101_1_phil-emery-playmakers-kellen-davis
The highest Phil Emery's teams have selected a TE was Tony Moeaki in the 3rd round of the 2010 NFL Draft. Before that there have 0 TE's drafted in the top 3 round by him. Keith Zinger(7th/2008), Martrez Miller(4th/2007), TOny Moeaki(3rd/2010). This is a position that history will tell you, Phil does not value high in the upper rounds. I think he's going to bring in 1 TE via Free Agency and 1 TE through the NFL Draft, one may be more blocking oriented, one may be more receiving oriented, but my guess is he brings in two big bodied elite blockers that are effective at stretching the middle of the field on certain passing downs. We dont need a TE to drop 100 each game, just somebody that Jay can rely on to cross the field and make the catch in the middle of the field. His favorite targets will always be Marshall and Jeffery, he will chose his TE just a few times a game like he did with Kellen Davis, we just need some to execute given their opportunities. Kasa comes with great upside as well, having converted from DE to TE during his time at Colorado. He is a big kid with good hands, never goes down on first contact, and is a very effecive run blocker. Having good blocking TE's will be crucial if a rookie and Webb are to succeed at OT.

6. Quanterus Smith DE Western Kentucky:
http://youtu.be/V_mdthU6CIE
With the unforunate loss of Israel Idonije, a rotational DE is needed, given the majority of the snaps will be given to Pep, Wootton, and McClellin, Smith can slowly work himself into the lineup. This pick could be a HB as Phil has a rich history of selecting RB's in the late rounds 5-7. DeAndra Cobb(7th/2005), Jerious Norwood(3rd/2006), Jason Snelling(7th/2007), Thomas Brown(6th/2008) The only reason I didn't have Phil selecting one her is because we grabbed Goodwin earlier in the draft, Emery has experessed the importance of field position and witht he departure of Hester we need a P/KR. Emery hasn't found much success at drafting DL, he missed big on his two top 10 picks in Jamaal Anderson(2010) and Tyson Jackson(1009). I see him taking a flyer on a late round developmental Dlineman who can start to rotate in. Q Smith was once the nations sack leader, until a season ending injury took him down. Emery has shown he doesn't shy away from Defenders with injury history, he values upside more. Look at Brandon Hardin, he didnt play a single game in 2011 and was our 3rd round pick of the 2012 Draft. I really like Q's combination of size and speed, he has elite athleticism, seems to fit more naturally at LE than RE although could play either. I'm intrigued to see the progression of Shea after a full offseason to workout and improve his strength, we need to up his number of reps in 2013. Q is perfect as a #4DE, #9DL.

Undrafted Free Agents:
(In 2012, Chicago brought in 11 UDFA's to compete for the active roster)

Jordan Rodgers QB Vanderbilt-

I really believe Trestman is going to want to bring in his own guy to try and develop at the #3 spot, versus just handing it off to McCown who has no upside or Matt Blanchard who has no ties to the new regime.
Quote:
"Jay was real good to me when I got into town. I think maybe the second day I was in town we went and watched my brother's playoff game together with our weight coach. So he was good. And just being able to run questions off him... ask him a little bit about the school, about the offense, our coaches, work out with him a little bit. He was is town almost every day in the offseason, so he was a big help."

http://blogs.tennessean.com/vanderbilt/2011/01/19/vandy-qb-jordan-rodgers-talks-cutler-brother-aaron-on-espn/

Zach Brown K Portland State-

With Robbie Gould's injury concern, I believe Emery brings in a rookie K to compete during the offseason in case another injury occurs. Gould better show he has recovered fully, otherwise that 3 million dollar cap hit for a Kicker could surely be used elsewhere.

Lucas Reed TE New Mexico- [img]
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nm/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/6369424.jpeg[/img]
I feel so bad for Lucas Reed, the guy was a stud early in his career. making acrobatic catches left and right. He's been the best Lobo player since 2010. That year he recorded 500 yards and 5 TD's. Great size at 6'6" 255lbs, the reason he isn't considered to be drafted is 100% result of the QB play and scheme run here in Albuquerque. Starting QB Cole Gautsche attempted 31 passes in 2012, let me say that again, he completed 13 of 31 passes in 2012. He is Tim Tebow's younger brother, rushed for 800 yards and 7 TD's as a True Freshman, they basically run the Wildcat, I wouldn't even consider cole a QB. He only had one game this season with over 50 yards passing, how in God's beautiful green earth can a receiver make a name for himself or even showcase any skill whatsoever if your QB can't even throw for 50 yards a game... I bet we see Lucas Reed on an active 53 man roster next season, and I feel Emery will continue searching fora gem at TE any means necessary.
GO LOBOS!

John Boyett S Oregon-

http://youtu.be/glVeOKBqDnw
http://youtu.be/-z-BRTw9RPI
One reason and One reason only, is responsible for Boyett going undrafted.... Injury. If it wasn't for his season ending injury before the 2012 season, I truly believe hes a day two pick. Emery has proven he is a risk taker during the draft process, he hasn't shied away from players just because of an injury.

Mark Jackson G Glennville State-

http://youtu.be/g8NTcc0Va20
Phil knows the strengths of his coaching staff, he'll realize Kromers ability to take Olineman late and develop them into starters in this league. Jackson has tremendous size and power, he hasnt had the chance to showcase his skill against top level competition. He semed to struggle a little bit in the East-West Shrine game, which won't help him in his attempt to be drafted. Kromer is known for taking bigger OT's in college and turning them into phone booth Guards, Mark Jackson fits that bill. He is extremely raw, but given his potential upside, he's worth it to Emery to bring him in for a workout.

Luke Marquardt T Azusa Pacific-

Not well known due to playing NAIA, Marquardt has tremendous size at 6'9" 330lbs combining it with great athleticism. He has great technique, surely taught to him by Hall of Fame Offensive Lineman and Head coach of Azusa Pacific, Jackie Slater. He is a converted TE, son of missionaries, he is another Lineman that shows versatility, durability, and leadership. (Team captain as well)

AJ Francis DL Maryland-

http://youtu.be/gJkNvEWDOao
Love his versatility, and with the uncertainty surrounding the future of the DL, guys who can play multiple positions up front will be extremely valuable. Emery will continue looking for guys to rotate in on the DL, Francis plays with an attitude that I look for in someone trying to make his way up the roster ranks.

Alonzo Highsmith LB Arkansas-

One of the most underrated LB's in the country, another player that goes undrafted solely due to Injury history. These are the guys I think Phil goes for in UDA, guys that have proven successfull, show great upside, yet are dampened due to injury or scheme. Highsmith recorded 45+ Tackles, 2 Sacks in his 6 games this season.

Melvin White CB Louisiana Lafayette-

http://youtu.be/2yqCFTDO2eo
with the new breed of CB's making their way into the NFL, White fits teh mold at 6'3" 205 lbs, he has the versatility to play Safety or CB and can contribute immedietely on Special Teams.

2013 Chicago Bears Depth Chart:

QB(3)- Jay Cutler(10m), Jason Campbell(2m), Jordan Rodgers*(400k)
RB(3)- Matt Forte(7m), Michael Bush(3.5m), Armando Allen(750k)
FB(1)- Evan Rodriguez(500k)
WR(6)- Brandon Marshall(9m), Alshon Jeffery(1m), Marquise Goodwin(650k), Ramses Barden(1m), Eric Weems(1.5m), Joseph anderson(500k)
TE(3)- Logan Paulsen(1.5m), Nick Kasa(500k), Kyle Adams(500k)
OT(4)- J'Marcus Webb(500k), Lane Johnson(1m), Gabe Carimi(2m), Johnathan Scott(750k)
OG/C(5)- Andy Levitre(7m), Lance Louis(2.5m), Brian Schwenke(500k), James Brown(500k), Edwin Williams(750k)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
25 players of Offense= $56 million

DE(5)- Julius Peppers(16.5m), Corey Wootton(700k), Shea McClellin(2m), Quanterus Smith(500k), Cheta Ozougwu(400k)
DT(4)- Henry Melton(8m), Stephen Paea(1m), Nate Collins(1m), Amobi Okoye(500k)
LB(6)- Lance Briggs(6.25m), Daryl Smith(4m), Gerald Hodges(500k), Blake Castanzo(1m), Dom DeCiccio(500k), J.T. Thomas(500k)
S(4)- Major Wright(750k), Chris Conte(750k), Brandin Hardin(650k), Craig Steltz(750k)
CB(6)- Charles TIllman(Cool, Tim Jennings(3.75m), Kelvin Hayden(1m), D.J. Moore(1m), Sherrick McManis(600k), Isaih Frey(400k)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
25 Players on Defense= $61.5 million

P- Adam Podlesh(1.5m)
K- Robbie Gould(2.75m)
LS- Patrick Mannelly(750k)
P/KR- Marquise Goodwin
3 Players on Special Teams= $5 million

Total Salary for the Active 53 man Roster= $122.5 million (starting in 2013, teams must reach the $123 million cap limit)

Thanks for taking the time to look at my Mock Offseason, let me know what you think possitive or negative, it doesn't effect me. Cheers!

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like it and it fills the needs we have, but I will give a couple critcics/observations.

1. If Lane Johnson is a day 1 LT starter he does not make it to us. KC, Phi, Ar, SD, NO, STL, Mia could all use a LT and I think Johnson will be picked 11 if Fisher goes 7 and he will get picked 16 if Fishe goes 11.

The entire free agency/draft thing is based on a LT hitting 20 which rarely happens.

2. Logan Paulson is a glorified OT and Trestman believes in weapons in the passing game. I think his lack of dynamic ability will be a hinderance to the game plan.

3. Love Schwenke.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t see us making that many cuts or letting that many guys walk from a 10 win team…Bennett is going nowhere and as a Slot receiver in a scheme that emphasis the middle of the field he is going to be an important player…I also don’t see Garza being replaced until next offseason…we need a vet up front to help implement the new line calls…I also think we resign one or possible even both Hayes & Roach considering we have little depth at LB…Bowman is another guy who showed enough special teams value to stick this season…

I think some of the contracts you have us resigning guys on are ambitious…I doubt Campbell returns for $1.5m less than this year…Collins is a young UT who in a rotation is good…I doubt he re-ups for 3 years at just $4m…both Hayden & Moore could get better than $1 million a year on the open market as well IMO…

I would be real happy with Levitre and Smith would also be a good pick up…I would like to know if Barden plays ST because if not he isn’t being signed here…Paulsen is an interesting guy but he is a RFA who will more than likely be tendered given that Fred Davis is also an FA and would cost the Redskins more money to resign…they are already -$10m in cap space…

Johnson would be a great pick up if he makes it to #20…but Goodwin in the 3rd is a major reach IMO…yeah we need a deep threat but we have far bigger needs than a guy who who would play sparingly this year…Hodges would be a really good pick up…as would Schwenke but I doubt he makes the 4th round…big fan of Kasa’s upside at TE…I wold like to see how Smith tests medically at the combine before we draft him but again he has upside…as for the UDFAs…I think White gets drafted with his size & length…and I want nothing to do with Rodgers…he is Jordan Palmer 2.0.
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
I don’t see us making that many cuts or letting that many guys walk from a 10 win team…Bennett is going nowhere and as a Slot receiver in a scheme that emphasis the middle of the field he is going to be an important player…I also don’t see Garza being replaced until next offseason…we need a vet up front to help implement the new line calls…I also think we resign one or possible even both Hayes & Roach considering we have little depth at LB…Bowman is another guy who showed enough special teams value to stick this season…

I think some of the contracts you have us resigning guys on are ambitious…I doubt Campbell returns for $1.5m less than this year…Collins is a young UT who in a rotation is good…I doubt he re-ups for 3 years at just $4m…both Hayden & Moore could get better than $1 million a year on the open market as well IMO…

I would be real happy with Levitre and Smith would also be a good pick up…I would like to know if Barden plays ST because if not he isn’t being signed here…Paulsen is an interesting guy but he is a RFA who will more than likely be tendered given that Fred Davis is also an FA and would cost the Redskins more money to resign…they are already -$10m in cap space…

Johnson would be a great pick up if he makes it to #20…but Goodwin in the 3rd is a major reach IMO…yeah we need a deep threat but we have far bigger needs than a guy who who would play sparingly this year…Hodges would be a really good pick up…as would Schwenke but I doubt he makes the 4th round…big fan of Kasa’s upside at TE…I wold like to see how Smith tests medically at the combine before we draft him but again he has upside…as for the UDFAs…I think White gets drafted with his size & length…and I want nothing to do with Rodgers…he is Jordan Palmer 2.0.

Like I said, I feel this season we'll see some surprise cuts, if that means more than your expecting, than sure. Bennett could be the #4/5 WR if it turned out like this, name me another WR with his cap hit that low on the depth chart... He isn't very good. I see them bringing in other players to utilize the middle of the field. I think Garza will be a surprise cut to most people, I don't buy the veteran leadership thing, Levitre, Louis, and Webb should be plenty of veteran leadership. We don't need to pay a Center 3+ million a year if he's not in our future... Not only that, Schwenke would beat him out, so now your paying a #2 C $3 million.... I think the LB position sees the 2nd most change in all the positions after the offseason is said and done, at least 2 new additions... meaning Urlacher and Hayes go at least, paying Daryl Smith a contract of $4 million a year doesn't allow us to resign Roach, unless you'd rather pay him that $3-4 million? If it worked out like that, Roach would not be resigned. McManis is ahead of Bowman as far as special teams valuie as far as I'm concerned, and Frey has twice the upside Bowman does. I'm a Bowman fan too, he attended New Mexico Military Insititute, where I went for several years.

Your kiding yourself if you think Jason Campbell is going to get any offer close to $3.5 million. I could see him maybe getting 2.5 but that's seriously stretching it. I bet he wants to stay anyways and work with Cutler and Trestman, he knows he's gunna be a backup no matter where he goes at this point. Collins I definetely see Emery bringing back, I almost made it a 2 year 4 million which is probably more likely... A shorter contract so he can prove himself to a higher extension.. There's no team that's gunna pay him more than $2 million a year. The corners are in a tough position, quite frankly I think DJ Moore could be on his way out as well. Hayden will be the priority between the day, and like I said, it very well could be one or the other. In that case Bowman and Frey both make the team.

I think Emery brings in a WR with potential as a receiver, not somebody who is a special teams junkie like Eric Weems. I understand that you aren't signed here if you don't play special teams. I actually think Washington resigns Fred Davis, making Logan Paulsen highly expendable to them. I gave him a generous contract too IMO.

You get too wrapped up in your own opinion regarding the draft sometimes man. I said at the beginning of this, these aren't the players I'd draft if it was me. I'm trying to guess Phil Emery. You have your opinions, but did you expect Shea as a top 20 pick last season? How about Brandon Hardin in the 3rd round? Rodriguez in the 4th as the 3rd TE selected? He reaches outside the box a little bit, unlike your opinion. Once goodwin blows people away at the combine he is going to be a 3rd round pick, I'm telling you right now. He seems exactly like the type of player Phil goes for. Centers tend to fall on draft day, I bet Schwenke makes it to the 4th, even possibly the 5th round. Yeah I'm not sold on Rodgers, I was more just making the point that I feel Emery brings in a QB that Trestman likes to develop at the #3...

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the idea of Barden. While he is still raw, I remember him eating Peanut alive in the preseason. Obviously he wouldn't do it consistently, but it shows he has talent to match his 6'6" frame.
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Roach gets to walk twice, that's how sure pigsooie is of the decision.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest issue would be losing so many players.

Overall the mock and FA is fine.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard on NFL Network that when there is a new HC that in many cases 30-40% of the roster turns over.

Now because our GM is the same I don't think it happens but it could.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

Like I said, I feel this season we'll see some surprise cuts, if that means more than your expecting, than sure. Bennett could be the #4/5 WR if it turned out like this, name me another WR with his cap hit that low on the depth chart... He isn't very good. I see them bringing in other players to utilize the middle of the field. I think Garza will be a surprise cut to most people, I don't buy the veteran leadership thing, Levitre, Louis, and Webb should be plenty of veteran leadership. We don't need to pay a Center 3+ million a year if he's not in our future... Not only that, Schwenke would beat him out, so now your paying a #2 C $3 million.... I think the LB position sees the 2nd most change in all the positions after the offseason is said and done, at least 2 new additions... meaning Urlacher and Hayes go at least, paying Daryl Smith a contract of $4 million a year doesn't allow us to resign Roach, unless you'd rather pay him that $3-4 million? If it worked out like that, Roach would not be resigned. McManis is ahead of Bowman as far as special teams valuie as far as I'm concerned, and Frey has twice the upside Bowman does. I'm a Bowman fan too, he attended New Mexico Military Insititute, where I went for several years.

Your kiding yourself if you think Jason Campbell is going to get any offer close to $3.5 million. I could see him maybe getting 2.5 but that's seriously stretching it. I bet he wants to stay anyways and work with Cutler and Trestman, he knows he's gunna be a backup no matter where he goes at this point. Collins I definetely see Emery bringing back, I almost made it a 2 year 4 million which is probably more likely... A shorter contract so he can prove himself to a higher extension.. There's no team that's gunna pay him more than $2 million a year. The corners are in a tough position, quite frankly I think DJ Moore could be on his way out as well. Hayden will be the priority between the day, and like I said, it very well could be one or the other. In that case Bowman and Frey both make the team.

I think Emery brings in a WR with potential as a receiver, not somebody who is a special teams junkie like Eric Weems. I understand that you aren't signed here if you don't play special teams. I actually think Washington resigns Fred Davis, making Logan Paulsen highly expendable to them. I gave him a generous contract too IMO.

You get too wrapped up in your own opinion regarding the draft sometimes man. I said at the beginning of this, these aren't the players I'd draft if it was me. I'm trying to guess Phil Emery. You have your opinions, but did you expect Shea as a top 20 pick last season? How about Brandon Hardin in the 3rd round? Rodriguez in the 4th as the 3rd TE selected? He reaches outside the box a little bit, unlike your opinion. Once goodwin blows people away at the combine he is going to be a 3rd round pick, I'm telling you right now. He seems exactly like the type of player Phil goes for. Centers tend to fall on draft day, I bet Schwenke makes it to the 4th, even possibly the 5th round. Yeah I'm not sold on Rodgers, I was more just making the point that I feel Emery brings in a QB that Trestman likes to develop at the #3...

For not being effected by negative feedback you are getting very defensive lol…you asked for an opinion and I’m giving you one…

Surprise cuts are one thing…senseless cuts are another…Bennett is a far better WR than Barden or Goodwin…he won’t be a 4/5…he is a #3 and has proven to be an effective #3 when our OCs have decided to involve him in the game…If you cut Garza all you are doing is adding another hole to our Oline…Levitre could play centre but then you have done nothing to upgrade the weakest position on our line which is LG…if he plays LG you are relying on a rookie centre in a complex scheme which everyone is trying to learn to be the guy to call plays for the line…not only that but I doubt he even makes it to the point you have us selecting us at…You have us losing 3 LBs off last year’s roster and only brining 2 in…the position didn’t have much depth last year as it was…McManis is ahead of Bowman as a ST player but not by much as Bowman had an impact last year…Bowman is also light years ahead as a CB…if Frey had twice the upside of Bowman we would have signed him off the PS instead of brining Bowman back…

I don’t think Campbell will get $3.5 million…but I also don’t think he would be willing to return here for $1.5 million less than he got last year…he would be better taking his chances with a team like the Cardinals or Chiefs who could very well be looking for a backup QB behind a rookie who he has a chance of beating out…which he doesn’t have here…

Emery will bring in a WR with potential but any backup WR will have to play ST if you are planning on keeping 18 linemen on the roster…Washington would like to resign Davis ahead of Paulsen but where is the money coming from? They are already -$10 million in cap space and Davis is coming off a bad injury…Paulsen was solid for them and will command far less money than Davis will for them to resign him…

Again you asked for an opinion and I gave you one…you said this is what you see Emery doing…but in truth you have no idea what Emery is going to do like the rest of us…you didn’t see guys like McClellin, Hardin or Rodriguez coming either…again much like the rest of us…Goodwin will blow people away at the combine because he is a world class athlete…doesn’t mean that on a football field he is anything more than an undersized deep threat who doesn’t offer much else…if you’re looking for a deep threat I would rather go with a guy like Kenny Stills who is much more refined, productive & talented as a football player…Schwenke is the 3rd best centre in the draft and arguable the best ZB centre…a team like the Packers at the end of the 3rd wouldn’t let him fall past them…if he is still on the board.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I heard on NFL Network that when there is a new HC that in many cases 30-40% of the roster turns over.

Most new HCs walk into poor teams...we are far from it.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Agreed but there will be some turnover over the next 2 years.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Agreed but there will be some turnover over the next 2 years.

Of course...with the age of the D and the lack of talent on the Oline there has to be.
bears2308

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much cap space would we save by cutting Earl?

I don't think we cut Roach with Urlacher leaving. I can see Tucker bringing in Smith at MLB but Roach is fine at SLB. I don't see any reason for Emery or Trestman wanting Campbell to stick around. The guy was a flat out bum last year. I also see no reason as to why Emery would pay Moore 2 million when he watched him play poorly his first year here. I like the idea of tagging Melton. We can't let that guy leave Chicago.

Signing Levitre and Smith would make OT a priority in the first. I hate the idea of taking a TE in the first round and haven't seen much of Paulsen. I'd rather we leave Barden out of it, use the extra $ to sign someone more established like Jared Cook, and draft a deep threat. With Marshall and Jeffery I see no need for another red-zone target at receiver. Someone that fits the slot role would be my top priority at the wr position if we send Earl packing.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bears2308 wrote:
How much cap space would we save by cutting Earl?

I don't think we cut Roach with Urlacher leaving. I can see Tucker bringing in Smith at MLB but Roach is fine at SLB. I don't see any reason for Emery or Trestman wanting Campbell to stick around. The guy was a flat out bum last year. I also see no reason as to why Emery would pay Moore 2 million when he watched him play poorly his first year here. I like the idea of tagging Melton. We can't let that guy leave Chicago.

Signing Levitre and Smith would make OT a priority in the first. I hate the idea of taking a TE in the first round and haven't seen much of Paulsen. I'd rather we leave Barden out of it, use the extra $ to sign someone more established like Jared Cook, and draft a deep threat. With Marshall and Jeffery I see no need for another red-zone target at receiver. Someone that fits the slot role would be my top priority at the wr position if we send Earl packing.
None. It actually would cost $280,000.00 more to cut him than keep him.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that this version is different than most but like all of them I like some things and dislike others. I don't see how anyone could dislike Levitre. I don't dislike Goodwin if we are letting go of Hester but I see a downgrade from Bennett to Barden at least in the slot. I agree with most that Roach AND Urlacher probably won't both go although I wouldn't want to overpay for either. I'm not very high on either of the TE you have us bringing in but I would not be upset with that outcome for our offseason.

As for your salaries though both Okoye and Scott's vet minimum salaries are higher than what you have listed.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: