Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

About our OL...and general draft thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ57

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: About our OL...and general draft thoughts Reply with quote

There are many here that feel our OL needs a big overhaul. Certainly if we want to be a real ZBS team changes must be made. The questions are what changes can be made given the personal we have, what the draft has to offer, and what we "should" allocate dollars wise to the OL. Here are some of my thoughts and I'd like to hear your comments.

I feel that extra protection is more often slid to the left side of the line. I see the right guard as the player least likely to ever get help. Therefore I want a stronger more seasoned guy there. I would move Incognito from LG to RG. He has played there before and normally a right guard isn't asked to pull as often.

I want my left guard to be fleet of foot in order to get out in front of plays. He needs to be strong enough to take on a NT/DT or DE in a blitz. He needs to be smart enough to read when he might need to shift left. I would move Pouncey to legt guard. He played guard before and frankly will make too much money eventually to be a center.

I don't see us reaching an agreement with Long and I'm worried that his injury history would make such an agreement a very bad choice. Despite the hole it opens I would let him walk. I would move Martin there. He showed some promise and another year of strength conditioning could make a world of difference.

I would ask Jerry to slim down and shape up. We should remember he played more downs than any other lineman. He has rare size and power. I would try him at right tackle. If he lacks the agility and doesn't pan out we let Incognito go the next year and he moves back to RG.

If this pans out we could have a couple of powerful guys on the right with a couple of guys that can get out and run on the left side. I see it as the best way we can move towards zbs with our current starters. I'd really rather shuffle them around than bring in someone different off the bench.

This would leave us needing a center. Barrett Jones would be my top choice but he might go too high (he is worth the 2A pick IMHO but I'm hoping 2B). To me he is smart and versitile. He could easily play guard if Pouncey proves to not be up to the task. He could probably fill in at OT in a pinch. Likely he needs to shed a few pounds. There are other late round centers that could do. Many are a little undersized and well suited for ZBS yet have the frame to get to 305#. I mean honestly we could probably be fine with the likes of a Freeman/Benavides.

I would also draft a OT and get a FA. I would look in the later rounds for guys like Wagner/Nixon/ or even Quessenberry/Armstead. We don't need, nor can we afford a bunch of high priced first round OL guys in a ZBS. Didn't look but I rather doubt Shanny and the skins have a bunch of first round picks and they know how to do that zbs thing.

I want my top picks on people that score TD's and take the ball away. Given what the draft offers I'd probably go CB in round 1 and TE in the second. I'd also pick up a FA TE if I could find a better one than Fasano for not much more money. We need a real DE opposite Wake. Pick 2B might be the right place for Hunt but Carradine/Lemonier should be there in the third.

No doubt we should get a FA WR. Just not sure if I think Wallace, Jennings, or Bowe make sense for the team and the dollars. Assume we get someone decent in FA and that leaves us with FA, Hartline, and Bess as starters. We might see guys like Hunter and Da'Rick in the third or at least Hamiton and Goodwin. In the fourth we could be looking at Bailey, Stills, and Swope. I don't see why we can't find a pair with talent to develop for the future.

So if I could come away with something like a CB, TE, C/OG, DE, WR, WR in the first four rounds......and add a WR, TE, and OT in free agency.....I'd be very happy. The FA signings don't have to be high dollar elite guys....just solid players.

Okay rip me up, spit me out, and tell me what a fool I am!
mountainpd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think moving Incognito is a logical thought as he would be more suited to Right Guard.

I also like the idea of drafting Barrett Jones if he falls to the right spot. Love his versatility. I know little of his recent injury and any long term implications.

I would not touch Pouncey would like to keep him where he is to keep things familiar with Tannehill. Woul he be a great guard. Yes . But I also think he is a great centre.

^^^Kempes^^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: