Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

tonight IS the night for Adrian Peterson! OPOY & MVP!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: tonight IS the night for Adrian Peterson! OPOY & MVP! Reply with quote

Adrian Peterson has a good chance to be the third NFL Most Valuable Player in Vikings history, following Alan Page (1971) and Fran Tarkenton (1975).

The NFL awards ceremony is Saturday night in New Orleans (8 p.m., Ch. 4). Peterson, who came off major knee surgery and got within 8 yards of the NFL's single-season rushing record, is also a leading candidate for Comeback Player of the Year and Offensive Player of the Year. His competition in both categories is probably Denver quarterback Peyton Manning, who missed the 2011 season because of neck surgery, then led the Broncos into the playoffs in 2012.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/189466441.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterson and Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning were the clear-cut frontrunners when voting was done at the conclusion of the 2013 regular season and one of them likely will walk off with the MVP award when it is handed over Saturday night during a nationally televised event from New Orleans.

Peterson: "I will be a little disappointed [if I don't win MVP.] Whether I win it or not, I feel like I am, inside, I'm the MVP."

Rich Gannon: "I'm one of the voters. I really struggled with the decision all the way through Week 16. Even for the comeback player of the year, I looked at both these guys. It's unfortunate one won't win. I voted for Adrian. I looked at the fact the Vikings aren't very good in the passing game and they didn't have Percy Harvin down the stretch. I looked at how he was able to shoulder the load and carry that football team. I don't think many people thought they'd make the playoffs. I just got done talking to Marcus Allen and asked him about Adrian Peterson. Marcus said he thinks it will be close. Quite frankly, I'd be seriously surprised if he didn't win. It will be interesting to see how close it is. It might not be as close as people think."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22501746/vikings-adrian-peterson-has-rich-gannons-mvp-vote

Webmaster wrote:
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its going to be hard for Adrian to win.

The media glorifies the QB position above everything else.

When you look at the true meaning of being the most valuable player, Adrian Peterson is the first player that comes to mind.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

When you look at the true meaning of being the most valuable player, Adrian Peterson is the first player that comes to mind.

Not entirely, the true meaning of MVP would consider positional value. At the end of the day, a QB has a lot more value than a RB. Therefore, it isnt glorifying the position, its just the QB position most often has the most direct correlation with winning when it matters, which should be what truly makes a player MVP.

Just look at the impact of the QB and RB positions in Minnesota. When the Vikings had good QB play, at the end of the year, Peterson was most effective and the Vikings were actually beating some good teams.

When Peterson had a lousy QB under center (playoff game) the Vikings looked like they didnt belong in the playoffs.

Peterson probably had the most amazing season from an individual stand point, but i think its far more likely that Manning wins MVP and Peterson wins OPOY.

Just the way it is, QBs are simply more valuable and for a non-QB to be voted MVP, they need to have a true standout season. From the RB position, a true standout season probably entails passing Erik Dickerson and putting up 18-20 rushing TDs.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, what works in Peterson's favor is that Manning didnt really have an out of ordinary statistical season, he was great, but nothing other QBs havent shown capable of. Further, Manning's team did get bounced in the playoffs after one game as well.

Simply, Manning's statistical season didnt stand out versus other QBs, whereas Peterson completely dominated over every other RB.

Last edited by vikingsrule on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
kenard158

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Manning does win tonight, the NFL can change the name of the award to MVQB.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian Peterson had a year that only one running back in NFL history can say he topped. A historic year just 8 months removed from reconstructive knee surgery. And Peterson took a 3-13 team, the year before, and led them to a 10-6 record and the playoffs, the very next year.

Manning had a great season, but in terms of historical seasons by a quarterback, it wasn't anything special. In fact it wasn't even Manning's best season. And, the Broncos made the playoffs without Manning last year, so it's tough to say that Manning took the Broncos to another level.

But, what it comes down to, in my opinion, is the fact that while Manning had a great season, it was just more of the same that we've seen, not just from Manning, but from multiple quarterbacks every year since 2004. Whereas Adrian Peterson dominated. He took over games. He won games on the ground during a time where the "only" way you can win is via the pass.

Peterson's season was much more special, and rare, than what Manning accomplished.
marty264

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenard158 wrote:
If Manning does win tonight, the NFL can change the name of the award to MVQB.

I like REQWGS. Random Elite Quarterback With Good Story. The story line is the only reason its a 2 man race. As far as I'm concerned Aaron Rodgers is way more valuable to his team than Peyton Manning.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Manning's team did get bounced in the playoffs after one game as well.

the votes were cast for MVP five weeks ago, before the playoffs even started.

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Manning's team did get bounced in the playoffs after one game as well.

the votes were cast for MVP five weeks ago, before the playoffs even started.

Shows what I know Laughing
TearsOfPurple

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manning wasnt even the most valuable QB. It'll be a joke if Manning wins.

#TankItTeddy
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

vikingsrule wrote:
Not entirely, the true meaning of MVP would consider positional value. At the end of the day, a QB has a lot more value than a RB. Therefore, it isnt glorifying the position, its just the QB position most often has the most direct correlation with winning when it matters, which should be what truly makes a player MVP.

If position value is so important, then the award should then only be called the Most Valuable Quarterback, as QB is by far the most important position. Clearly thats not the case.

Individually, Peyton Manning wasn't a superior player to Adrian Peterson.

Quote:
Just look at the impact of the QB and RB positions in Minnesota. When the Vikings had good QB play, at the end of the year, Peterson was most effective and the Vikings were actually beating some good teams.

At the same time, the whole team picked up its tempo. But just because Christian Ponder improved shouldn't hurt Peterson.

Quote:
When Peterson had a lousy QB under center (playoff game) the Vikings looked like they didnt belong in the playoffs.

Well I can't disagree with you there. Joe Webb was so lost back there, it killed all momentum minus 2 drives.

Quote:
Peterson probably had the most amazing season from an individual stand point, but i think its far more likely that Manning wins MVP and Peterson wins OPOY.

only because Manning is a QB. Again, the award isn't exclusive...atleast not yet.

Quote:
Just the way it is, QBs are simply more valuable and for a non-QB to be voted MVP, they need to have a true standout season. From the RB position, a true standout season probably entails passing Erik Dickerson and putting up 18-20 rushing TDs.

maybe..we'll just see tonight

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont argue against a lot of what you said SK, i actually agree with it. But you seem rather hooked on the idea that the award is open for any position, when in reality, it really is the Most Valuable QB award. When was the last time a non-QB won the award? I believe it was 2006 when LaDianian Tomlinson won it.

In 2006, Tomlinson had 1800 rush yards, averaged 5.2 per carry, caught 58 passes for 500 receiving yds, 28 rush TDs and 3 receiving Tds.

I think you could make an argument for Tomlinson's 2006 season being on par, or maybe even better, than Peterson's 2012 season. Peterson had the rush yards, but Tomlinson was so deadly as a receiver and had 30+ TDs. That is ridiculous. Tomlinson won MVP that season, I just feel that Manning has too much pull with the media for Peterson to overcome.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packer Fan here and I just want to let you guys know that I am rooting for Peterson to get it and he should get it. He was without question the MVP.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touchdowns are very situation based in my opinion. 23 of Tomlinson's 28 touchdowns were within the 10 yard line. A good chunk of them were 1 and 2 yarders as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: