Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packattack's Friday Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
packattack86

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Packattack's Friday Mock Reply with quote

Retired/released/not-resigned
- DD
-Saturday
- Woodson
- Jennings
- Walden

Restructured
- Finley

Resigned
- Shields
- Jones
- EDS
-Crabtree

FA
- Steven Jackson - 2 yr deal.

Draft - We get a 4th for Flynn

RD1. Johnathan Hankins, DT, The Ohio State U - Hankins may fall because of more athletic DT's going ahead of him, but he is no slouch. Hankins would be the perfect future replacement for Pickett, as he's very good at eating up blockers and freeing up LB's. Hankins has the versatility to play NT or DE, and he moves well for a guy that's around 330 lbs. Some will argue that we need pass rushers at DE, but we drafted Neal, Daniels, and Worthy for that. We need size in order to shore up the run D.

RD2. Phillip Thomas, FS, Fresno State - Thomas gives us a talented safety that can compete w/ MD and McMillian for Woodson's spot.

RD3. Stedman Bailey, WR, W. VA - Bailey is a bit undersized, but he's got nice hands and is great at RAC. He is a nice prospect to add depth at the WR spot.

RD4. Brian Schwenke, C, CAL - Schwenke has experience playing in a zbs, and is a solid prospect to develop. Good centers are often found in the mid rounds, and TT missed out on Barrett earlier.

RD4. William Gholston, DE, Michigan State - This is a guy that has 1st rd talent, he just needs consistency and good coaching. Gholston has the size and length you look for at the 5 tech, and he would be a nice developmental prospect.

RD5. Vince Williams, ILB, Florida State - This guy caught my eye at the senior bowl. He's very instinctive, flies to the ball, and isn't afraid to hit.

RD6. Terry Hawthorne, CB, ILL - Brought in to compete in TC.

RD7. Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State - Crosby needs to be pushed for his job.

UDFA - TT goes after a RB he likes, a QB for TC, and OLB.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the trouble Worthy is having transitioning to our system I'd rather not take another MSU DL, but if Gholston is there it could be good value. Not that he'd see the field for 2-3 years, but he could wind up something if the coaching sticks.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
With all the trouble Worthy is having transitioning to our system I'd rather not take another MSU DL, but if Gholston is there it could be good value. Not that he'd see the field for 2-3 years, but he could wind up something if the coaching sticks.
I didn't realize Worthy was struggling that much, actually thought he had a fairly good year considering he was a rookie in a complex system. I don't know many rookie linemen that aren't top 20 picks have true standout years at that. Thought he played very well considering expectations and situations.

I always give rookie linemen, defensive ends in particular considerable forgiveness. The argument is the game hasn't changed it's still football but they are in a faster stronger game now where offensive line holding is the normal. There are a LOT of adjustments they have to make to their games and have to do so while often physically outmatched their rookie years. It's not a hard rule but more often then not I don't think a defensive lineman can really be judged until the second or third year. Try breaking an OT's hands off you when he's stronger with NFL experience. Because every play linemen are always engaged in a form of hand to hand combat, while studying and breaking down the play and engaging in a rush while maintaining run responsibilities all while getting assaulted by a large nasty mammoth of a man. Easy to be overwhelmed, they have as fast a mental game as any defender does.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Packattack's Friday Mock Reply with quote

packattack86 wrote:
RD1. Johnathan Hankins, DT, The Ohio State U - Hankins may fall because of more athletic DT's going ahead of him, but he is no slouch. Hankins would be the perfect future replacement for Pickett, as he's very good at eating up blockers and freeing up LB's. Hankins has the versatility to play NT or DE, and he moves well for a guy that's around 330 lbs. Some will argue that we need pass rushers at DE, but we drafted Neal, Daniels, and Worthy for that. We need size in order to shore up the run D.

I would like to know more about Hankins, and really what can be expected of him in the Capers' system.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatZepp wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
I didn't realize Worthy was struggling that much, actually thought he had a fairly good year considering he was a rookie in a complex system. I don't know many rookie linemen that aren't top 20 picks have true standout years at that. Thought he played very well considering expectations and situations.

I always give rookie linemen, defensive ends in particular considerable forgiveness. The argument is the game hasn't changed it's still football but they are in a faster stronger game now where offensive line holding is the normal. There are a LOT of adjustments they have to make to their games and have to do so while often physically outmatched their rookie years. It's not a hard rule but more often then not I don't think a defensive lineman can really be judged until the second or third year. Try breaking an OT's hands off you when he's stronger with NFL experience. Because every play linemen are always engaged in a form of hand to hand combat, while studying and breaking down the play and engaging in a rush while maintaining run responsibilities all while getting assaulted by a large nasty mammoth of a man. Easy to be overwhelmed, they have as fast a mental game as any defender does.
That's a good rule to follow! I heard that he was really struggling with the differences between MSU's system and ours and it was really hurting him. The most important thing is that he learned from his rookie year. Somebody said he's currently rebuilding his body, and I expect that he found himself a solid foundation to build his career from. Great things are on the way
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Worthy had a pretty good year for a rookie.

Aside from that. I kinda like the mock though I don't think Thomas is a good pick for us and I question the Steadman Bailey pick in the 3rd. Maybe in the 4th...

Anyway. I questioned the Vince Williams pick but I'll go with the logic. If we can get him to play both inside and out, he'd be a solid pick at that position. Not the guys I'd go with, but I still think you did a nice job!
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT is one of the hardest positions to transition to the NFL at. I never make a big deal about a rookie DT struggling in the pros, since almost all of them do. Almost all highly drafted DTs get used to winning on things against inferior competition in college that's just never going to work in the pros. So I don't think we can really conclude anything about Worthy yet.

If an RB struggles as a rookie? You worry, but if a DT, QB, WR does? It's not a big deal.
packattack86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Packattack's Friday Mock Reply with quote

TheGreatZepp wrote:
packattack86 wrote:

I would like to know more about Hankins, and really what can be expected of him in the Capers' system.

Big Hank would give us more beef on the line, he can play NT and rotate in on the line to keep pickett and Raji fresh. he would also be great value at 26 bcuz 335 LB lineman that can move well and be disruptive are hard to find.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: