Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The value of the 15th pick:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: The value of the 15th pick: Reply with quote

We all talk about who the Saints might target with their top overall pick (15th) and when we do, names like Dion Jordan, Ezekiel Ansah, Sheldon Richardson, Jonathan Hankins & Kenny Vaccaro along with others seem to always be connected with that selection.

The way I see this draft unfolding, while their isn’t an elite quarterback prospect available there are however 3-4 quarterbacks that will likely be targeted from the mid to late 1st round by quarterback needy teams looking to move up to get their signal caller of the future. For this reason I feel the Saints are in a great position to be one of if not the first team to make a major move by trading not only back but out of the first round completely.

Don’t get me wrong… I love the idea of prospects like Jordan, Hankins, Ansah, etc. but I don’t really see any of them as franchise altering players. I also feel this team needs to stockpile picks first and foremost after the loss of picks from the past and present as well as going through a philological change on defense. This team needs depth and youth at many areas of this franchise and need to get back to building this team through the draft and I’m not talking just about the 2013 NFL draft.

Kansas City, Jacksonville, Oakland, Philadelphia, Arizona & Buffalo are all teams in the top 10 of the draft that are in need of a young quarterback but might not want to invest their top overall selection on one in this year’s crop. However, after landing a stud prospect in the top 10 I could very well see many of these teams begin calling to inquire about obtaining a trade that gets them back into the top round to make a move the quarterback they feel fits what they want to do offensively. Each one of these teams possess a high 2nd round selection to swap for the 15th overall pick (puts us trading back 20-25 selections) but the question then would become what is adequate compensation for such a trade and is it worth it in the long run?

I could honestly see the Saints making a trade (not saying this exact one) along the line of something like this…

I could see the Saints sending the 15th overall pick to say the Arizona Cardinals for the Cardinals 2nd, 3rd & 5th round picks in 2013 and their 2014 1st round selection.

A team like the Cardinals has the team with a stout defense and playmakers on offense that if they are able to land one of the premier LT’s in this draft like Eric Fisher at #7 overall, I could see them making this move to get up in the draft to grab a guy like Mike Glennon of North Carolina State who I feel would be a great fit in Bruce Arians vertical offense as a guy who can get the ball down the field to Larry Fitzgerald. Arians is one of the NFL’s top developers of quarterbacks and now has added Tom Moore to his staff to boot. Landing a player like Fisher in the top 10 then moving up for a talented guy like Glennon, however raw he is could get a team like Arizona back into playoff contention by next season.

In return, the Saints take a step back in order to make a leap forward. This draft is deep enough to still land a talented player and likely defensive starter at the top half of the 2nd round and the additional picks we’d receive would go a long way in rebuilding this franchise and begin to make up for the loss of the picks that were stole from us. So, while landing a player like Dion Jordan, Ezekiel Ansah or Jonathan Hankins would no doubt help this franchise in 2013, the long term effect of a trade like this, I believe would be far more valuable and impactful for the betterment of the future of this franchise.

What’s your opinion on this subject?

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Dion Jordan is not there, I wouldn't mind this at all. Pick up a guy like Matt Elam, if he's not there, then Eric Reid. (with our new 2nd round pick) And pik up a guy like Jairus Byrd in FA. This would REALLY help our secondary to help an already pretty good front 7.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
If Dion Jordan is not there, I wouldn't mind this at all. Pick up a guy like Matt Elam, if he's not there, then Eric Reid. (with our new 2nd round pick) And pik up a guy like Jairus Byrd in FA. This would REALLY help our secondary to help an already pretty good front 7.

The way I see it is like this... Say a guy like Jordan, Hankins or Ansah is the target there at 15 but in a trade back to the top of the second round would still land you a guy like Elam, Jenkins, Reid, Rhodes, Amerson, Montgomery, etc.

Could we actually say that guy at 15 would be that much more of an impact guy on this squad than a guy we'd get at say the 38th pick? I don't think that's the case. I feel the Saints could land a starting Strong Safety at the top half of the 2nd round after a trade. Whether it be Elam, Reid, Cyrien, whoever... and when that is combined with the extra picks this year we'd get and the potential of a extra 1st or 2nd rounder in 2014 I just feel the trade would be more beneficial to the building of this team than what is likely to be available to us at 15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hankins could be an immediate impact. That's all we need to be in the Superbowl next year... a mediocre defense. Which we will have. I really like you're idea of trading down too. We could maybe pick up Elam/Reid, and Williams (NT from Missouri Southern). That'd be great also. Espescially if we get Phillips from Free Agency.
FLOODx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to do that. I'm using your example as an example lol. If we traded with the Cards that would give us pick 38, 69, and 75.

In a deep defensive draft we could select someone that should've been a first round pick, but just didn't fit certain schemes and somehow fell through the cracks. Guys that may be available in the 38ish range are Arthur Brown, Jesse Williams, Matt Elam, David Amerson, and many more. All the guys I just listed could make an immediate impact on our team.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: