Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Not My Mock But I Love It
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Not My Mock But I Love It Reply with quote

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1482345-miami-dolphins-mock-draft-updated-7-round-projections-after-east-west-shrine

I'll break down the first 4 picks. Those are the ones that matter from this draft.

1.) Dion Jordan- Jordan gives us an athletic DE/OLB that this defense loves. He is a highly athletic player and has the ability to drop in coverage and get after the QB at the same time. At 6'7 245 he fits this pass rushing OLB that Coyle likes. He will give us so much more explosiveness than Misi. This move could put Misi to MLB and Kaddu could end up being the SOLB of the future

2.) Barrett Jones- Versatility. He played C this year but he is a guy that is better suited for G or T. He can play either one and is athletic enough to excel in this offense. He has good feet in pass blocking and run blocking. Jones can fill a void at LG, C, RG, and RT. Think Nate Garner versatility here. I think this is a guy Bellichick will target. I would love to just steal him away.

2.) Quinton Patton- You guys want Jordy Nelson, well here he is. Patton is a route runner. He is faster than people think and is shifty enough to make people miss. Jonathan Banks CB South Carolina on Patton:
Quote:
I feel like [Quinton Patton] from Louisiana Tech is the best receiver Iíve played against since Iíve been here. Iíve gone against some good ones in the SEC, too, but heís probably the most complete.
He is a under the radar kind of guy but had a good pro bowl. Analysts said the same thing about him as they said about Nelson, "all he does is get open and make plays."

3.) Markus Wheaton- I don't agree with what he says about him being like Hartline. I think he is more like Jeremy Maclin. A good route runner, catches with his hands, and has the speed to make plays. This guy is not only fast but he is 6'1 182. (Pre Combine) This kid not only runs good routes, but he catches with his hands.

With just those 4 picks, this draft alone sets up our defense and our offense. This draft gives us a pass rusher to help control the LOS on the defensive side of the ball. Dion Jordan gives us an Aldon Smith style player.

ON offense, this draft gives us a G to help control the LOS on offense. With the OL help, it will give Tannehill time to get the ball to our new playmakers. Wheaton and Patton. While at the same time we can still get the ball to Hartline and Bess.

That's my take on this. Funny enough, his first 4 picks were my first 4 picks of my mock.

UniversalAuthor
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see this.....I do worry about Dion Jordan....he's a physical freak and his upside is huge, but so is the potential for a bust...Sometimes you have to go big or stay home during the playoffs Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
I could see this.....I do worry about Dion Jordan....he's a physical freak and his upside is huge, but so is the potential for a bust...Sometimes you have to go big or stay home during the playoffs Wink

LOL. I do understand the worry there. You can't go into the draft scared though. You do your homework and do what you can to justify the pick. If you can't find anything to justify the pick, then you don't take him. I think he is a guy that can at least be a good LB for us.

I think this draft covered versatility. That is something you are going to start seeing here. This coaching staff is going to look at versatility. Look what the Pats do with that kind of versatility.

Barrett Jones is another versatile guy. Can play G/C/T

Wheaton is a return man, slot guy, outside guy, and a reverse guy. Just all around playmaker.

That's a big thing I got out of this draft.

UniversalAuthor
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They lost me with the Quinten Patton pick and got me right back on board with the Markus Wheaton pick right after him. Count me in.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
Russ57

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious....what do you guys really want. A replacement for Misi who can offer a pass rush......or a DE (so Odrick can move inside) who can set the edge, rush the passer, and help stuff runs?

I want a real DE....not an OLB.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
Just curious....what do you guys really want. A replacement for Misi who can offer a pass rush......or a DE (so Odrick can move inside) who can set the edge, rush the passer, and help stuff runs?

A legitimate 4-3 DE...I want a guy who can put his hand on the ground and work the outside.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Dion Jordan strikes me as a 3-4 OLB

I don't think Barret Jones will be around for the 2nd pick

I like the Quinton Patton pick .... that endorsement from Banks is huge. And so was his production.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

I like the Quinton Patton pick .... that endorsement from Banks is huge. And so was his production.

That was my thought....Wake gets bye being smaller because of his motor and he is perhaps the most explosive player off the ball (45 inch vert) I don't see that with Jordan. Personally I like the BYU DE....6'6" 270 and he had a hell of a week at the senior bowl.

Patton was another guy who had a great week of practice....he may not have the flash of Patterson, but he's a guy who looks dependable and can get in the end-zone (24 td's over the last 2 seasons.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have a 4-3 DE than another OLB. Misi and Burnett do their jobs well enough.

I'd be 100% satisfied going into next season with the same starting LBers.

Oh Man we are so Miami Dolphin!
green4gulf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

I agree. Dion Jordan could be an Aldon Smith type of player in a 3-4, but we're running a 4-3 again, and I don't see Jordan as a full time 4-3 DE (which is what we need and should be in position to draft in the 1st round).
Russ57

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I see wrong with our LB'ers is that we pay two of them too much and one of them is just "okay" at best. For dead money reasons we can't do anything right now. However this is a perfect case of when/if we should consider a formerly top rated guy who slid bad due to an injury. Someone who used to be great, and probably will be again, but it will take a year or two.

With a real DE on the left side, Odrick, Starks, and Solia on the inside, Wake on the other side, I'd be looking for guys that are serious shutdown cover guys on TE's and RB's. Between our DL and safety guys we can afford a loss on the run stuffing side from our LB'ers if they can take away the underneath passing game.

Don't get me wrong I don't want little wimpy LB'ers who can't take on a back. Guys like Urlacher were good at dropping back in coverage and hardly wimps in the running game. I dream of a tandem like Jack Ham and Jack Lambert.
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Russ57 wrote:

A legitimate 4-3 DE...I want a guy who can put his hand on the ground and work the outside.

Man VM71 is money $$$
We don't need another 3/4 OLB we need a guy who's 260 +#s who can dig in & explode inside or outside.

I'd love to draft an Aldon Smith at DE.

sug
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Dion Jordan is a 3-4 OLB but just from watching the Bengals defense, they have a 3-4 OLB. It seems that they use Manny Lawson, and Michael Johnson to stand up and put their hand in the dirt. They use these guys to mix up blitzes, overload the OL, and just confuse offenses. The Bengals were #3 in total sacks. That helped them into the playoffs this year.

I look for Dion Jordan to give versatility because he can rush the passer standing up, or with his hand in the dirt. He can drop back into coverage. He can help mix it up by dropping back from a 3 point stance. This kid will be able to play DE full time or LB full time.

To answer Russ57, I want a play maker on defense. I don't care if it's LB, DE, DT, S, or CB. Dion Jordan can be just that. He can add speed to this defense, play DE, and play LB. What this defense wants to do is always get after the QB by blitzing and pass rush. Think about if we have Jordan and sign Lawson. Jordan plays OLB, Lawson lines up at DE and they both get after the QB with Starks and Odrick on the inside, and Wake on the other side. That gives you 5 pass rushers coming after the QB.

This is just my take from what I have seen out of Miami's defense and Mike Zimmer's defenses of the past

UniversalAuthor
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you think of Dion Jordan, think of him playing a Von Miller role.

You guys are thinking blanket scheme as if all 4-3 and 3-4 defenses are the same. In fact there are different variations of these defense. In our 4-3 we have a pass rush or 3-4 OLB.

To the comment that the Lbs we have now do their job well enough, that's just why we are mediocre. Well enough needs to become excellent. To me, we are lacking speed on both sides of the ball. Dion Jordan gives us an athletic freak at LB and another pass rusher we sorely lack. Who cares about position right now, we should care about playmaker. We need to fix the pass rush, not a position.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631835
Quote:
Jordan doesn't have the heaviest hands, but he's extremely quick with his mitts, making it tough for blockers to combat them. There are some questions about where his natural position is at the next level, but any creative defensive coordinator will be able to utilize Jordan's impressive blend of size and speed.

UniversalAuthor
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
When you think of Dion Jordan, think of him playing a Von Miller role.

You guys are thinking blanket scheme as if all 4-3 and 3-4 defenses are the same. In fact there are different variations of these defense. In our 4-3 we have a pass rush or 3-4 OLB.

To the comment that the Lbs we have now do their job well enough, that's just why we are mediocre. Well enough needs to become excellent. To me, we are lacking speed on both sides of the ball. Dion Jordan gives us an athletic freak at LB and another pass rusher we sorely lack. Who cares about position right now, we should care about playmaker. We need to fix the pass rush, not a position.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631835
Quote:
Jordan doesn't have the heaviest hands, but he's extremely quick with his mitts, making it tough for blockers to combat them. There are some questions about where his natural position is at the next level, but any creative defensive coordinator will be able to utilize Jordan's impressive blend of size and speed.
My thoughts on Jordan are this I like him alot for the Miami dolphins for many reasons I think him and Vernon can be very interchangeable. They both can line up at DE and strong side backer. Jordan can rush from the 43 and blitz from linebacker and he has unique cover ability's as he has lined up at slot CB for oregon. You can scheme it so many ways and jordan kinda reminds me of a former pro bowl player julian peterson but Jordan has a little more ability to line up at 43 at times. Jordan very much can play 43 strong side backer. Wake solia odrick vernon/jordan with jordan rushing from end from backer and covering TE and RB's in the flat creates so many possibility's and makes us a better pass rushing team and more athletic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: