Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Donte Whitner the most underrated player on our team?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJniners

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Is Donte Whitner the most underrated player on our team? Reply with quote

I think so. Hes a great player, hes not the best in coverage when it comes to interceptions and knocking balls down, but when it comes to the receiver getting yards after the catch, he usually allows nothing. Plus he's one of the hardest hitters ive seen.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a guy often forgotten is RayMac. I admit to underrating him prior to 2011, but I suspect losing him would be devastating. Maybe not to the extent a loss of Justin would, but RayMac is very underrated.

And Kendall Hunter, in my opinion, is underrated even by his fans. If he can return to 100%, that is. He has amazing vision, makes amazing cuts and he's much tougher than he's getting credit for. Most see him as a career back-up, but I disagree. I believe he could be a "feature back", if such a notion still exists in today's NFL.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
I think a guy often forgotten is RayMac. I admit to underrating him prior to 2011, but I suspect losing him would be devastating. Maybe not to the extent a loss of Justin would, but RayMac is very underrated.

And Kendall Hunter, in my opinion, is underrated even by his fans. If he can return to 100%, that is. He has amazing vision, makes amazing cuts and he's much tougher than he's getting credit for. Most see him as a career back-up, but I disagree. I believe he could be a "feature back", if such a notion still exists in today's NFL.

I think Whitner is the best FA pickup we have had since Harbaugh was hired. I think the only FA better than Whitner was the one that happened a few years ago: Justin Smith
RayMac and Hunter are indeed underrated. Ray's quickness at the snap is insane and Hunter may not be quite as fast as LaMichael, but Hunter has more power and may be tougher to bring down. I do think Kendall Hunter could be a 'feature back' (and the Sooner fan in me had a tough time heaping praise on a former Cowboy...).
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really thought Whitner was a horrible signing at first last year(remember he was going to sign with Cincy but backed out lol).

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

I think Whitner is the best FA pickup we have had since Harbaugh was hired. I think the only FA better than Whitner was the one that happened a few years ago: Justin Smith
RayMac and Hunter are indeed underrated. Ray's quickness at the snap is insane and Hunter may not be quite as fast as LaMichael, but Hunter has more power and may be tougher to bring down. I do think Kendall Hunter could be a 'feature back' (and the Sooner fan in me had a tough time heaping praise on a former Cowboy...).

I think Justin might be the best FA signing in the entire NFL in the last 10 years. I honestly can't think of anyone better, not even Peyton signing in Denver.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

I think Justin might be the best FA signing in the entire NFL in the last 10 years. I honestly can't think of anyone better, not even Peyton signing in Denver.

Nate Clements Laughing Wink

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
xXFlyteXx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Nate Clements Laughing Wink

My vote is Terrell Brown He has been doing a very good job in coverage and he gets over shadowed by Culliver and Rogers every week.He doesn't have eye popping stats but man the has held his own all season and progressed.
Forge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way, if anything I think he's vastly overrated. Good against the run, but awful in coverage. Gave up more touchdowns than any other safety in the NFL this year. Hard hitter, but not really all that fluid. I'd love to draft a safety that can supplant him this year.I'm not really sure how he made the pro bowl.

Most underrated to me is raymac, along with Alex boone

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
757-NINER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
No way, if anything I think he's vastly overrated. Good against the run, but awful in coverage. Gave up more touchdowns than any other safety in the NFL this year. Hard hitter, but not really all that fluid. I'd love to draft a safety that can supplant him this year.I'm not really sure how he made the pro bowl.

Most underrated to me is raymac, along with Alex boone

Totally disagree. Whitner and Brooks are probably the two most underated guys. I'd say Whitner a little more but he is a big reason we've improved against the pass. And he's not awful in coverage if you understand how we scheme. He's rarely one-on-one in coverage. Most of the TDs he's given up have been when he's had great coverage but was beaten by some insane throws. The TD he gave up to TE in the Miami game. The one he gave up to Kyle Rudolph when we played the Vikes. Those are just well thrown balls where only the receiver has a chance to make the play. Goldson doesn't sniff two consecutive Pro Bowls without Whitner. His range allow for Goldson to be aggressive and break on balls in a lot of instances. Because he knows Whitner will be where he's supposed to be. Or maybe ppl forget what happen when Goldson was paired with the Reggie Smith's, and the Taylor Mays, the Mark Romans, and the Michael Lewis's of the NFL. Guys who were constantly out of position and were trying to play as individuals instead of being sound in their assignments. Whitner is a great tackler. He closes as fast as any safety I can remember. Very good burst and acceleration, especially around the box. To be as physical and as hard-hitting as he is, he has some wheels. He chased down Amendola in OT of the first Rams game like it was nothing. His speed get over looked but he ran 4.4 flat coming out of college at 207 lbs....dude can move. When's the last time you seen a deep pass get over his head when he was the deep safety? Those things get overlook because they don't happen. He started off this season not as stout as he was in 2011 but he rounded into form pretty quickly. I think he's one of the most underated SS in the entire league. Only thing I wish is that he were a couple of inches taller.
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is TBrown too, but Whitner is very underrated also. Anthony Davis is also doesnt get the praise this year he deserves.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is TBrown too, but Whitner is very underrated also. Anthony Davis is also doesnt get the praise this year he deserves.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brooks and milller are really underrated imo

new sig... sorry alex
Kikuchiyo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

When you take into account how much was given up for him and the impact he's giving back, you're probably right. The dude should have been DPotY last year and we signed him to a pretty meager contract when you're looking at big FA passrushers. Peppers and Mario Williams look like awful signings in comparison.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
757-NINER

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

When you take into account how much was given up for him and the impact he's giving back, you're probably right. The dude should have been DPotY last year and we signed him to a pretty meager contract when you're looking at big FA passrushers. Peppers and Mario Williams look like awful signings in comparison.

Smith's contract wasn't meager. At the time he was one of the biggest FA signings when he came here. Over the long haul, he's outplayed the contract as far as overall impact but its not like Smith was a premier pass-rusher when he left the Bengals. His stats have never been eye-popping. He was a decent pass-rusher as a 4-3 rush end. We signed for good money but not extreme money. I remember a lot of Bengal fans at the time not being too concerned about Smith leaving because he was very good against the run but a average pass-rusher as a rush end, which he was drafted to be. The best thing to happen to Justin Smith's career was to make him 5-Tech. Perfect fit for his skill-set.
John232

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to remember, what Whitner gives us is a safety who is solid in coverage(nothing special) but absolutely awesome in every other facet of the game. Very intelligent (probably the most articulate player on the team outside of Alex Smith), makes all the calls, amazing in run defense and is one of our leaders on defense.

That said, the most underrated player on this team is AD. He's arguably the best offensive lineman on the best O-Line in the NFL. Yet everyone talks about Staley and Iuapati.

Ray Mac and Brooks are also HM's. Brooks especially, very well rounded LBer who does fairly good job and bringing pressure.

xsaMainevent on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: