Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

John Kuhn 2.6 Million cap hit 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfinley88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the thought process behind your screen name? I realize I have an unoriginal and boring name, but every time I see your name I smicker Laughing

I'm a fan, not bashing it...

justo wrote:
THIS ONE IS FOR LULU
GreenMeansGo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smicker - Smile and snicker I like it!

Green - Ahman, then Alex gotta like that they play/ed for the
Green and Gold.
jfinley88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenMeansGo wrote:
Smicker - Smile and snicker I like it!

Green - Ahman, then Alex gotta like that they play/ed for the
Green and Gold.

Snicker was the word I was looking for.

I wrote smicker and just stared at it for like 10 seconds. I was thinking that can't be right... whatever...

Good to see you made meaning of it.

justo wrote:
THIS ONE IS FOR LULU
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
Uhmmmmm, lots of very harsh posts by new members as of late. Pump the brakes.

We're not paying Kuhn the RB. We're paying Kuhn the FB/H-Back/ST Stud/ 3rd Down Pass Protector/short yardage back.

You get the point. But I do agree there is a point when you need a cheaper alternative. We have been riding with that FB on the PS for a few years now. Maybe it's his time to jump up (is he still on the roster?)

A draft pick could definitely fill in the ST roles, and FB/H-Back. But he definitely wouldn't fill in as a pass protector. Unless we find a member of the current roster who can do that reliably, or pick up a FA/draft pick who we feel comfortable running our offense (not as likely), we'll be regulated to pay Kuhn.

In the grand scheme of things his 2.3M salary isn't that much.

We'll see what direction TT is going to go in the coming months. I do agree that it is a virtual certainty that we draft a FB/H-Back player who can take Kuhns role unless we're relying on Taylor/Crabtree/Cooper etc to take over that spot.

A lot more goes into paying Kuhn than $/yards though.

I have to agree with this. If Slowpoke had a similar contract, I wouldn't be all over his case as much as I am, but I will say this:

Kuhn is not as consistent or as reliable as he once was. I think it's time to open things up for competition and perhaps look at DJ Williams as a possible replacement. Both are roughly the same size with similar characteristics and speed. I know it sounds a bit obtuse but it's just a thought. Either way, I think Kuhn needs to have a strong preseason because he should know by now that he needs to look over his shoulder. he just isn't the player he once was and that's not to belittle him at all...
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not disagree with that. I would clearly open that thing up and look for an upgrade. Very high hopes that Green will take over that 3rd down role at some point here. Just sayin there is a place for Kuhn on this Packers roster with that contract in hand as it stands today. If Green took over that 3rd down gig( Pray ) money would at some level be an issue for Kuhn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Very high hopes that Green will take over that 3rd down role at some point here.

100% agree... or if they are looking for a little more size i would love to finally see DJ get a bigger role (but who knows why its taking him so long to see the field)
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I pay Kuhn until one of them takes that 3rd down/pass pro role from him. That's just not a big enough number to push him out the door over if there is not one to fill with at par.

Ditto - Kuhn is only the most reliable RB on the team - so sure cut him LOL. I am sure John Kuhn will get beat out of his job someday but to cut him and think you can replace him with some scrap heap guy...seriously!
GreenMeansGo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see Green make 3rd down. Hoping his knee is an after thought by next season.
Free agents in this league are not scrap heap. Every year Ted tries to improve the team and brings people in. He's better at finding running backs on other rosters than he is drafting them. He can do it again at FB.
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the only thing Kuhn is reliable for now is his third down pass protection why not see if we can get BJax back in the fold? He's a free agent, younger, better at it, and should be cheaper.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:
If the only thing Kuhn is reliable for now is his third down pass protection why not see if we can get BJax back in the fold? He's a free agent, younger, better at it, and should be cheaper.

I wonder if TT and company are not thinking the same thing...?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
Uhmmmmm, lots of very harsh posts by new members as of late. Pump the brakes.

We're not paying Kuhn the RB. We're paying Kuhn the FB/H-Back/ST Stud/ 3rd Down Pass Protector/short yardage back.

You get the point. But I do agree there is a point when you need a cheaper alternative. We have been riding with that FB on the PS for a few years now. Maybe it's his time to jump up (is he still on the roster?)

A draft pick could definitely fill in the ST roles, and FB/H-Back. But he definitely wouldn't fill in as a pass protector. Unless we find a member of the current roster who can do that reliably, or pick up a FA/draft pick who we feel comfortable running our offense (not as likely), we'll be regulated to pay Kuhn.

In the grand scheme of things his 2.3M salary isn't that much.

We'll see what direction TT is going to go in the coming months. I do agree that it is a virtual certainty that we draft a FB/H-Back player who can take Kuhns role unless we're relying on Taylor/Crabtree/Cooper etc to take over that spot.

A lot more goes into paying Kuhn than $/yards though.
We're paying Kuhn the 3rd down pass protector, that's about it. And no, the FB (Cooper) was off our PS back somewhere around the end of Nov. It's one year, use it to get somebody up to standard for the down 3 blocking.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
wgbeethree wrote:

I wonder if TT and company are not thinking the same thing...?

Considering Kuhn is a FB and BJax is a RB I would hope TT isn't thinking this way. If putting a TE or RB in to play FB worked well then don't you think the Packers would have done more lead blocking TE's this year. They call them FB's for a reason. I remember Quinn Johnson being drafted to replace Kuhn yet Kuhn is still on the team and Johnson plays for the Titans.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:

Considering Kuhn is a FB and BJax is a RB I would hope TT isn't thinking this way.

Quote:
Ditto - Kuhn is only the most reliable RB on the team - so sure cut him LOL.

so which is it? RB or FB?
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*dople post

Last edited by incognito_man on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinn Johnson was slow and reacted way too late. Kuhn is quicker and had the speed to be a short yardage back or release through one of the gaps to catch a short yardage pass.

I made the suggestion of Williams because of his blocking abilities. He, and Quarless for that matter, are essentially the two H-backs on the team and Williams has the speed to line up in the backfield IMO. I think we might be better off using more H-back formations if Kuhn starts to tail off as a blocker. I'd hate to keep him on the team JUST to block when he could probably do much more. Same thing with Williams.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: