Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

John Kuhn 2.6 Million cap hit 2013
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenMeansGo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: John Kuhn 2.6 Million cap hit 2013 Reply with quote

With 211 yards from scrimmage this year, he's due to make about $12,300 a yard next year.
I know he keeps Rogers safe on 3rd down, but one of the te's could stay in a block as well as him.
Cut him and replace this off season.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCarthy has always raved about his versatility but you have to think TT will be on the look for a cheap draft pick to replace Kuhn's role. Just to much for what he brings to the table.

Kempes on the custom sig!
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN addition, Rodgers raves about him too, but he just simply isn't worth that much.
GreenMeansGo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back he actually was good at getting 1st downs, on 3rd and short. What's his rate at that now? Anyone have that stat?
blankman0021

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhmmmmm, lots of very harsh posts by new members as of late. Pump the brakes.

We're not paying Kuhn the RB. We're paying Kuhn the FB/H-Back/ST Stud/ 3rd Down Pass Protector/short yardage back.

You get the point. But I do agree there is a point when you need a cheaper alternative. We have been riding with that FB on the PS for a few years now. Maybe it's his time to jump up (is he still on the roster?)

A draft pick could definitely fill in the ST roles, and FB/H-Back. But he definitely wouldn't fill in as a pass protector. Unless we find a member of the current roster who can do that reliably, or pick up a FA/draft pick who we feel comfortable running our offense (not as likely), we'll be regulated to pay Kuhn.

In the grand scheme of things his 2.3M salary isn't that much.

We'll see what direction TT is going to go in the coming months. I do agree that it is a virtual certainty that we draft a FB/H-Back player who can take Kuhns role unless we're relying on Taylor/Crabtree/Cooper etc to take over that spot.

A lot more goes into paying Kuhn than $/yards though.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
jfinley88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was voted a top 100 player the league Confused

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfinley88 wrote:
He was voted a top 100 player the league Confused

GIVE THE MAN A RAISE!!! KUUUUUUUUUUUHNNN

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay Kuhn until one of them takes that 3rd down/pass pro role from him. That's just not a big enough number to push him out the door over if there is not one to fill with at par.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I pay Kuhn until one of them takes that 3rd down/pass pro role from him. That's just not a big enough number to push him out the door over if there is not one to fill with at par.

Exactly my thinking.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
GreenMeansGo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd highest paid fullback in the league with a his base salary this season. The highest 2 actually lead block for a running back. He played roughly a third of the 1200+ snaps this last season. Just not a much needed position in this offense any more. I know fan favorite, Rodgers favorite, etc. Heck, the crowd is so in love, they yell his name before the play now. If Benson and Grant are considered old, well he's the same age.

Actually this is not a negative post. I am positive the Pack can do just as well if not better spending less.
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenMeansGo wrote:
3rd highest paid fullback in the league with a his base salary this season. The highest 2 actually lead block for a running back. He played roughly a third of the 1200+ snaps this last season. Just not a much needed position in this offense any more. I know fan favorite, Rodgers favorite, etc. Heck, the crowd is so in love, they yell his name before the play now. If Benson and Grant are considered old, well he's the same age.

Actually this is not a negative post. I am positive the Pack can do just as well if not better spending less.

If you think you can just pick some cat off the street and pull those pass pro reps, well, let's just say I disagree with you. There would CLEARLY be a premium on reps in the fit!

Hell, not so long ago BJack got a damn nice contract out of those skills and I bet the farm this Packers lead brass was thinking long and hard about matching it.

Just sayin. Don't look at that money and then think of the lead blocker. Clearly Kuhn falls a little short in that regard. Fact is, man brings something to the table worth that bank and it's the combo of his pass pro skills and ST's play.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a cat off the street. Ryan Grant would take the league minimum for the 3rd down job. Rodgers likes him too and he would at least be a 50% upgrade.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenMeansGo wrote:
Here's a cat off the street. Ryan Grant would take the league minimum for the 3rd down job. Rodgers likes him too and he would at least be a 50% upgrade.

I'm not trying to start something...but Grant is not good in pass pro. That's one of the reasons Kuhn is doing it now. And why BJax was our 3rd down back when Grant was in full stride. He never devoted himself to the craft, and if he had he very well could have a longterm deal with this club right now. Instead, he is FA to be again.

Also, Grant would be an upgrade how? Not in pass pro, and not on ST. Kuhn isnt a running back. Not sure where your argument is in besides $$s.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
GreenMeansGo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We picked Kuhn of the street, there's more like him. It's a short life in the NFL. His best was before 2012.
GreenMeansGo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Grant came in this year, the times he was in on 3rd down, he picked up the blitz fine. He's a 50% upgrade in that when there is a breakdown (common) he's an outlet that can get the 1st down. This avoids another short series/hit on Rodgers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: