Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rebuilding the OL: Think Tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imo everything is going to hinge on who exactly makes it through to free agency without re-uping with their current teams.

When considering skill level, age and contract I'm hopeful that the Bears can find the best long term answer possible regardless of whether that individual is a G or T.

That's the nice thing about this off-season. There appear to be enough good prospects in the draft to be able to address the line in both FA as well as coming back and grabbing an OL in the 1st or 2nd.

I'm optimistic about how things are going to go.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
OT

OT is a more difficult position to draft, which we have proven with Carimi and Williams, and this draft appears to be a little shallow in potential LTs and early starters.

I would sign a solid starting calibre OLmen, we do not need to go crazy for a top tier guy and over spend and we secure the OT position with a free agent and Webb and allow Scott to be a swing backup and spot starter. It is OT there is a good chance Scott will play this season.

Option: Sign OT Gosder Cherilus [Lions] 5 years 22.5 million/10 guaranteed

OG

This draft class is stacked with OGs/Cs and the elite talent goes deep into the 2nd round with 7 players likely to be taken within the top 50 picks.

Warmack
Cooper
Warford
Fluker
Jones
Long
Frederick

While the free agent pool seems rather small and we are going to see guys like Levitre and Vasquez get paid a ton of money because they are the only 2 young guys available.

Option: Draft C Jonthan Cooper in the 1st round, Draft OG Jordan Mills in the 4th round.

Depth Chart

LT: Webb

Gets a year to work with Kromer and see if he has more success with better coaching and a new system.

LG: Louis, Brown [If Injured]

Louis moves over to help the stress on his knee and Brown backs him up if he cannot go the first couple of games of the season.

C: Cooper, Garza

Garza backs up for a year while Cooper starts and then Garza goes when Cooper shows he can handle the position full time and for the next 10 years.

RG: Carimi/Mills

Carimi competes with the big rookie Mills and the winner starts at RG. It allows the Bears to try and salvage some value out of Carimi while developing a big mid round rookie like Kromer has done in the past.

RT: Cherilus, Scott

Cherilus solidifes the position and has shown he can hold up in a pass happy offense and he brings some edge and nasty to a unit that was pushed around way too much last season.
If we draft another center Garza could play guard (rather than Brown) should LL not be ready at the start of the season. I am not ready to concede that position to Brown, though I like the kid.

The switching Mills to guard will likely take some time so Carimi should have the advantage there. It is interesting to see how these tackles have risen after the season: Johnson, Mills, Fisher even Joeckel.

I am interested in looking at some of the Oline with smaller names:
Dan O'Neil, W. Mich
Seantrel Henderson, The U
Jeff Nady, Nevada
Emmett Cleary, BC
Oscar Johnson, La Tech
Brennan Williams, UNC
Travis Bond, UNC
Andrew Norwell, OhSU
Peters Dray, Purdue
TJ Johnson, S. Car.
Ryan Tumley, Pitt.
Spencer Long, Neb.

How many would be available in the fifth, sixth and seventh?
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets say we end up targeting Jake Long, what is a reasonable deal for him in your eyes?

3 years 27 million/12 guaranteed.

Give him LT money, but keep the years and the guarantees low?
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Lets say we end up targeting Jake Long, what is a reasonable deal for him in your eyes?

I think somebody is going to go overboard and spend a lot more than that on him whether he ever lives up to it or not. Somebody always seems to convince themselves that they can be the ones to fix a guy and start looking at a guy with their All-Pro glasses on instead of their Reality glasses.
ChiSportsFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

There is zero chance he takes a deal for only 3 years, for less than $10 million a year, with only $12 million guaranteed. He may not be what he once was, but teams are desperate for an above average LT and he'll get plenty of teams to up his price in FA.
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChiSportsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

There is zero chance he takes a deal for only 3 years, for less than $10 million a year, with only $12 million guaranteed. He may not be what he once was, but teams are desperate for an above average LT and he'll get plenty of teams to up his price in FA.

He's 27, so he could sign a 4 year deal with the idea that he could hit free agency again and cash in, but I would guess he would ask for 5-6 years. I don't see him taking less than 18 mill guaranteed.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free Agent OTs may struggle to get paid big money.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/09/free-agent-tackles-could-have-a-hard-time-getting-paid/
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Free Agent OTs may struggle to get paid big money.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/09/free-agent-tackles-could-have-a-hard-time-getting-paid/
Long seems to be worth little and I hope the Bears don't think of throwing huge money at him or any of these guys.
MiBears4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: A little different idea Reply with quote

Assuming Ryan Clady resigned by Denver. A name that no one mentions, but could help is OL is Andre Smith. He plays RT. This still gives the Bears flexibility to draft inside or outside, because it will allow Carimi to move inside and compete at Guard. Scott would be swing Tackle.

According to an article in Bleacher Report, the Offensive Linemen seem to be moving up in this draft. It will allow the Bears to fill other needs and look at the OL later in the draft.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: A little different idea Reply with quote

MiBears4 wrote:
Assuming Ryan Clady resigned by Denver. A name that no one mentions, but could help is OL is Andre Smith. He plays RT. This still gives the Bears flexibility to draft inside or outside, because it will allow Carimi to move inside and compete at Guard. Scott would be swing Tackle.

According to an article in Bleacher Report, the Offensive Linemen seem to be moving up in this draft. It will allow the Bears to fill other needs and look at the OL later in the draft.

Smith would be a great signing but most think the Bengals franchise him.

The weight is a concern to, I would not be shocked if he was close to 400lbs at this exact moment.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Free agent OG Louis Vasquez is expected to command $6 million annually.

The Chargers recently reached out to Vasquez, but contract negotiations are not yet believed to be underway. Vasquez will be just 26 when the 2013 season starts, and he's near the top of a thin free-agent offensive guard class. Andy Levitre will be the most highly coveted guard. Vasquez won't be too far behind.

WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Quote:

The Chargers recently reached out to Vasquez, but contract negotiations are not yet believed to be underway. Vasquez will be just 26 when the 2013 season starts, and he's near the top of a thin free-agent offensive guard class. Andy Levitre will be the most highly coveted guard. Vasquez won't be too far behind.

Vasquez and Levitre are going to get paid.

I think 6 million will be the price point for the 2nd tier guys like Vasquez, Bushrod and Cherilus a little less because of the RT.

Levitre is going to command 8-9 million if Vasquez gets 6.
MiBears4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Ramon Foster Reply with quote

Ramon Foster is a name not mentioned. Trestman might make the Bears a passing team. If so, then he might be needed.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Quote:

That guy is only 26? I swear he has been in the league for like 7 years.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ramon Foster Reply with quote

MiBears4 wrote:
Ramon Foster is a name not mentioned. Trestman might make the Bears a passing team. If so, then he might be needed.

He is an interesting name, he has been solid for the Steelrs but not great.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: