Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rebuilding the OL: Think Tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
The guy I'm liking right now in free agency is Levitre. Most importantly I think there is a good chance he becomes available seeing as Buffalo may need to tag Byrd.

Levitre would bring a great deal of flexibility seeing as he has played C as windy noted. Assuming Louis is back at one guard spot and Webb will start at one of the T spots you can then grab the best OL prospect available even if its a guard and forces Levitre to C.

Now perhaps that's not ideal but that would reflect a significant upgrade in the middle and it would be hard to be upset about that.

My only fear is that he is going to get paid a lot and then might switch position like our Bushrod idea.

Levitre would be a great signing, but too me he would need to be accompanied by an OT in some form. There is NO way we can go into the season with Scott and Carimi at RT.

I wouldn't feel great about RT at that point either but seeing as this is a 2 year fix by most accounts anyway I think its a reasonable sacrifice.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won’t surprise me at all if we go into the season with Jonathan Scott as starting RT…he obviously isn’t a standout or anything but in 7 starts last year he only gave up 1 sack & 1 false start penalty…Emery outlined how well he had played when answering the question of why we hadn’t done more to improve the Oline last offseason...

We need to improve across the board but I think the interior is even more concerning than the tackles right now.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
It won’t surprise me at all if we go into the season with Jonathan Scott as starting RT…he obviously isn’t a standout or anything but in 7 starts last year he only gave up 1 sack & 1 false start penalty…Emery outlined how well he had played when answering the question of why we hadn’t done more to improve the Oline last offseason...

We need to improve across the board but I think the interior is even more concerning than the tackles right now.
Agree 100%. I feel ok if we go into the year w/ Webb & Scott as our OTs, same can not be said about starting the year w/ Chris Spencer at LG.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

Agree 100%. I feel ok if we go into the year w/ Webb & Scott as our OTs, same can not be said about starting the year w/ Chris Spencer at LG.

I agree with all of this.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

We need to upgrade both positions.

But I doubt the Bears will go into the season with Webb and Scott at OT despite what Emery might say.

In my rankings,

1. LG, it is a total mess and there is no reasonable starter on the team other than a long shot UDFA.

2a. RT
2b. C

In my world they are both being manned by over matched veterans who would be best served as back ups. John Scott had a solid 7 games but he is a backup and will struggle in this pass heavy system.

3. LT, Webb needs someone behind him if he struggles and we need to develop someone who could be better than Webb.

4. RG, Louis will be fine and he is becoming a star.
KG1187

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Webb and Scott are the starter’s who plays swing tackle?

I am with Windy, if you look at the composition of the free agent class and compare it with the draft class you must sign the tackle and draft the guard. There are about eight of tackles worth inking.

Long
Albert
Clady
Bushrod
Vollmer
Smith
Cherilus
Loadholt

On the flip side there are about 4 OG's who could be taken in the first two rounds of the draft.

Warmack
Cooper
Fluker
Warford

I highly doubt all of these guys will be selected in the first round so you could conceivably trade down and accumulate more picks addressing other needs on the team.

If you sign the tackle and draft the guard it gives you way more options to pick from. Signing a stud RT like Smith, Cherlius, or Vollmer is a great idea assuming the price is right. More flexibility, less risk, and plenty of fall back options if the draft or free agency don’t break as planned.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT

OT is a more difficult position to draft, which we have proven with Carimi and Williams, and this draft appears to be a little shallow in potential LTs and early starters.

I would sign a solid starting calibre OLmen, we do not need to go crazy for a top tier guy and over spend and we secure the OT position with a free agent and Webb and allow Scott to be a swing backup and spot starter. It is OT there is a good chance Scott will play this season.

Option: Sign OT Gosder Cherilus [Lions] 5 years 22.5 million/10 guaranteed

OG

This draft class is stacked with OGs/Cs and the elite talent goes deep into the 2nd round with 7 players likely to be taken within the top 50 picks.

Warmack
Cooper
Warford
Fluker
Jones
Long
Frederick

While the free agent pool seems rather small and we are going to see guys like Levitre and Vasquez get paid a ton of money because they are the only 2 young guys available.

Option: Draft C Jonthan Cooper in the 1st round, Draft OG Jordan Mills in the 4th round.

Depth Chart

LT: Webb

Gets a year to work with Kromer and see if he has more success with better coaching and a new system.

LG: Louis, Brown [If Injured]

Louis moves over to help the stress on his knee and Brown backs him up if he cannot go the first couple of games of the season.

C: Cooper, Garza

Garza backs up for a year while Cooper starts and then Garza goes when Cooper shows he can handle the position full time and for the next 10 years.

RG: Carimi/Mills

Carimi competes with the big rookie Mills and the winner starts at RG. It allows the Bears to try and salvage some value out of Carimi while developing a big mid round rookie like Kromer has done in the past.

RT: Cherilus, Scott

Cherilus solidifes the position and has shown he can hold up in a pass happy offense and he brings some edge and nasty to a unit that was pushed around way too much last season.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll eat my hat if we draft Cooper in the first round. I'll eat my hat if we draft an interior lineman (not named Chance) at 20.

I'll film it and post it for everyone to watch.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
I'll eat my hat if we draft Cooper in the first round. I'll eat my hat if we draft an interior lineman (not named Chance) at 20.

I could see us making a little trade down and drafting Cooper in the 1st. I have a hard time seeing us grab any Interior OL at 20.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
CBears019

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:

Again, I don't think it's totally out of the question that Chance could be there at #20.

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:

Again, I don't think it's totally out of the question that Chance could be there at #20.

I'll do terrible terrible things to myself if he is. He's the only interior lineman in this draft that I'd want to pick up in the first round. Everyone else can wait - there is plenty of value in the 2nd/3rd.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:

I'll do terrible terrible things to myself if he is. He's the only interior lineman in this draft that I'd want to pick up in the first round. Everyone else can wait - there is plenty of value in the 2nd/3rd.

I think you are seriously under rating Cooper and his versatility.

I could see him being the pick, it is not like LB or TE are that much more if a 1st round value.
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:

I think you are seriously under rating Cooper and his versatility.

I could see him being the pick, it is not like LB or TE are that much more if a 1st round value.
That and I think Cooper is better then any LB or TE in this draft.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether we go

1[20] OG/C Johnathan Cooper [UNC]
2[50] LB Khaseem Greene [Rutgers]

or

1[20] LB Alec Ogeltree [Georgia]
2[50] OG Larry Warford [Kentucky]

Either work for my plan and by signing an OT we can get more flexibility to do what we want in the draft and drafting OG or C, 1st or 2nd round.
mteward

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooper & Greene would be perfect in my opinion. Unless of course Chance falls to us in the 1st

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: