Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rebuilding the OL: Think Tank
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10088
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding the OL: Think Tank Reply with quote

It is clear that the OL is a huge need and that we need to add at least 2 starting quality players at OT and OG.

A couple of thoughts,

-I think Lance Louis needs to move to LG. Not only is a he a really good athlete, but he is our best puller and trapper. I also think it would help him because he tore his left ACL which would be his plant leg on the right side, which puts a ton of weight and stress on it. If he moves to LG he can kick with his injured leg, which has less stress on it than a post foot.

-I think it will be easier and cheaper to sign a RT and solidify that position, which is arguably worse than Webb, who graded out as our best OLmen. Webb is not great, but the RT position is a need and we may get a better player for less money. I am also interested to see what Kromer can do with Webb, he has had a ton of success with big late round players.

Louis would also help Webb if he was at LG.

-I think if we can afford to we need to replace Roberto Garza who has rapidly declined and no longer brings much to the table. Garza would not kill us at C this season, but we are getting close to Kruetz territory.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5669
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our OL needs an overhaul so that leaves so many options. It's really hard to pinpoint it at this time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 11043
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding the OL: Think Tank Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
It is clear that the OL is a huge need and that we need to add at least 2 starting quality players at OT and OG.

A couple of thoughts,

-I think Lance Louis needs to move to LG. Not only is a he a really good athlete, but he is our best puller and trapper. I also think it would help him because he tore his left ACL which would be his plant leg on the right side, which puts a ton of weight and stress on it. If he moves to LG he can kick with his injured leg, which has less stress on it than a post foot.

-I think it will be easier and cheaper to sign a RT and solidify that position, which is arguably worse than Webb, who graded out as our best OLmen. Webb is not great, but the RT position is a need and we may get a better player for less money. I am also interested to see what Kromer can do with Webb, he has had a ton of success with big late round players.

Louis would also help Webb if he was at LG.

-I think if we can afford to we need to replace Roberto Garza who has rapidly declined and no longer brings much to the table. Garza would not kill us at C this season, but we are getting close to Kruetz territory.

I don't think Louis NEEDS to move to LG, but I agree that he COULD move to LG which gives us versatility in who we might target in FA or the draft.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10088
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding the OL: Think Tank Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
It is clear that the OL is a huge need and that we need to add at least 2 starting quality players at OT and OG.

A couple of thoughts,

-I think Lance Louis needs to move to LG. Not only is a he a really good athlete, but he is our best puller and trapper. I also think it would help him because he tore his left ACL which would be his plant leg on the right side, which puts a ton of weight and stress on it. If he moves to LG he can kick with his injured leg, which has less stress on it than a post foot.

-I think it will be easier and cheaper to sign a RT and solidify that position, which is arguably worse than Webb, who graded out as our best OLmen. Webb is not great, but the RT position is a need and we may get a better player for less money. I am also interested to see what Kromer can do with Webb, he has had a ton of success with big late round players.

Louis would also help Webb if he was at LG.

-I think if we can afford to we need to replace Roberto Garza who has rapidly declined and no longer brings much to the table. Garza would not kill us at C this season, but we are getting close to Kruetz territory.

I don't think Louis NEEDS to move to LG, but I agree that he COULD move to LG which gives us versatility in who we might target in FA or the draft.


I think it will help his knee.

There is a all of pressure on your post leg and if we could switch it could be better long term.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wiscbearsfan


Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 6350
Location: WI
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding the OL: Think Tank Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

-I think if we can afford to we need to replace Roberto Garza who has rapidly declined and no longer brings much to the table. Garza would not kill us at C this season, but we are getting close to Kruetz territory.


In your opinion do you think Garza would benefit by a move back to RG? Or is that going to be more demanding than playing C?
_________________
Quote:
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that.........he is gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 7190
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've mentioned this once, maybe twice, but the Bears have no offensive linemen signed long-term.

Through 2012: Louis, Spencer, Scott
Through 2013: Webb, Garza, Williams
Through 2014: Carimi

Now, think about how many of those guys are seriously worth keeping around. Personally, I think the Bears need four new faces on that line over the next two years, and that's if they re-sign Louis. I don't see Cory Brandon or James Brown as legitimate options. Their development should be a bonus, not a gamble.

Webb-wise: if Emery can replace him, he should replace him. I don't care how he graded out; why gamble if there's a chance to get somebody better in there? Webb may be better served as a swing tackle than a starter.

Best-case scenario, I would like to see the Bears land a left tackle, as well as a center who perhaps could start out at guard if the new staff isn't ready to move on from Garza.
_________________
Rotoworld.com wrote:
...internet mock drafts, which have ridiculously become the measuring stick for where players are "supposed" to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConVict90


Joined: 20 Sep 2009
Posts: 2253
Location: San Diego
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to hear that Tice packed Webb up with him...

The only lineman we have with serious potential is Carimi and that's at playing him at guard. As a matter of fact I doubt that Louis or Webb would be a starter for any of the 31 other teams which in laymen terms we need legit starters and no more of these late round "project players".

If I were in Phil's shoes then this would be at the top of my Things to Do list.

LT- Bushrod/Albert/Volmer/Clady
LG- Johnathan Cooper
C- Garza (need to find his future replacement this offseason)
RG- Carimi/Louis
RT- Webb/Louis /Carimi

badaboom badabing!
_________________
Adopt-A-Bear: (A-Dub) Adrian Wilson

TCKL-
SCK-
FF-
INT-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mudderfudder77


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 1841
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConVict90 wrote:
I was hoping to hear that Tice packed Webb up with him...

The only lineman we have with serious potential is Carimi and that's at playing him at guard. As a matter of fact I doubt that Louis or Webb would be a starter for any of the 31 other teams which in laymen terms we need legit starters and no more of these late round "project players".

If I were in Phil's shoes then this would be at the top of my Things to Do list.

LT- Bushrod/Albert/Volmer/Clady
LG- Johnathan Cooper
C- Garza (need to find his future replacement this offseason)
RG- Carimi/Louis
RT- Webb/Louis /Carimi

badaboom badabing!


Well that's just ridiculous.
_________________


Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConVict90


Joined: 20 Sep 2009
Posts: 2253
Location: San Diego
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
ConVict90 wrote:
I was hoping to hear that Tice packed Webb up with him...

The only lineman we have with serious potential is Carimi and that's at playing him at guard. As a matter of fact I doubt that Louis or Webb would be a starter for any of the 31 other teams which in laymen terms we need legit starters and no more of these late round "project players".

If I were in Phil's shoes then this would be at the top of my Things to Do list.

LT- Bushrod/Albert/Volmer/Clady
LG- Johnathan Cooper
C- Garza (need to find his future replacement this offseason)
RG- Carimi/Louis
RT- Webb/Louis /Carimi

badaboom badabing!


Well that's just ridiculous.


Elaborate for me please because I see no GM/HC/Fans that would get off on the idea of signing Louis as their teams full time starter unless you're associated with theChicago Bears. I can go on and on how Lance is an exceptional lineman to have on your team but only in terms of him filling in for 3-5 games. He's kinda like that girl you have on the side until you find that super hot one you want to make your girlfriend
_________________
Adopt-A-Bear: (A-Dub) Adrian Wilson

TCKL-
SCK-
FF-
INT-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22960
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConVict90 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
ConVict90 wrote:
I was hoping to hear that Tice packed Webb up with him...

The only lineman we have with serious potential is Carimi and that's at playing him at guard. As a matter of fact I doubt that Louis or Webb would be a starter for any of the 31 other teams which in laymen terms we need legit starters and no more of these late round "project players".

If I were in Phil's shoes then this would be at the top of my Things to Do list.

LT- Bushrod/Albert/Volmer/Clady
LG- Johnathan Cooper
C- Garza (need to find his future replacement this offseason)
RG- Carimi/Louis
RT- Webb/Louis /Carimi

badaboom badabing!


Well that's just ridiculous.


Elaborate for me please because I see no GM/HC/Fans that would get off on the idea of signing Louis as their teams full time starter unless you're associated with theChicago Bears. I can go on and on how Lance is an exceptional lineman to have on your team but only in terms of him filling in for 3-5 games. He's kinda like that girl you have on the side until you find that super hot one you want to make your girlfriend


Well those GM/HC/Fans would be wrong...Louis has developed into a solid starter on the Oline and was out best linemen before he got hurt...if he comes back at 100% he is a building block who should be resigned.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2014…Lance Briggs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10088
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis is a keeper.

I know this is unpopular but Webb is a keeper, maybe not as a LT but as a swing OT or RT.

I would say our needs right now are,

1. LG

2. a) LT, if we can get a valued upgrade over Webb we should.
b) RT, if we can't get an upgrade over Webb for good money then solidify the other side.

3. C, we need a replacement sooner than later.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10088
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how Louis who played really well at RG last season does not have more future potential than Gabe Carimi who was benched at RT and RG last season.

It hurts to admit is but Carimi is not going to be our saviour on the OL he is BAD.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 19342
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConVict90 wrote:
I was hoping to hear that Tice packed Webb up with him...

The only lineman we have with serious potential is Carimi and that's at playing him at guard. As a matter of fact I doubt that Louis or Webb would be a starter for any of the 31 other teams which in laymen terms we need legit starters and no more of these late round "project players".

If I were in Phil's shoes then this would be at the top of my Things to Do list.

LT- Bushrod/Albert/Volmer/Clady
LG- Johnathan Cooper
C- Garza (need to find his future replacement this offseason)
RG- Carimi/Louis
RT- Webb/Louis /Carimi

badaboom badabing!
This is false on so many levels, #1 Carimi doesn't even come close to matching the potential that Webb has. Webb has the ever elusive, hard to come by, tackle feet combined w/ incredible size/length. Webb may never fully reach his potential, but make no mistake his potential, since the day he was drafted was sky high. That's why Tice constantly stuck w/ the kid. Hoping he works his way to that potential b/c you can't get better sitting on the sidelines. And to Webb's credit, he had 1, just 1, bad game last year, and that was of course against GB in week 2. In the final 6 games last year Webb didn't give up a single sack or penalty. And he certainly wasn't close to being the worst starting LT in the league last year. There were a lot of teams that he could have started for last year. Louis, my god man what are you talking about. Louis is quickly approaching probowl level guard play and that's w/ absolute crap surrounding him. Put some good players to his left and right and see what he becomes. He's definitely worth keeping around, and has much more potential than Gabe Carimi, who at this point at least, hasn't shown that he is capable of playing football in the NFL.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mudderfudder77


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 1841
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Louis is a keeper.

I know this is unpopular but Webb is a keeper, maybe not as a LT but as a swing OT or RT.

I would say our needs right now are,

1. LG

2. a) LT, if we can get a valued upgrade over Webb we should.
b) RT, if we can't get an upgrade over Webb for good money then solidify the other side.

3. C, we need a replacement sooner than later.



Agree completely. I think Webb is a much better match for the WCO than he was in Tice's. I expect to see him out on either the Left or Right side (depending on FA pick up) once the season starts.
_________________


Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22960
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s going to take at least two years to fully improve our Oline…everyone on that line could be upgraded and as has been pointed out no one is under contract long term…for me we this offseason we have to…

1. Find a new LT…wither it’s a guy like Bushrod who will give us time to find a franchise LT or to draft a guy like Lane Johnson at #20.
2. Find a new LG…again wither it’s in FA with a guy like Levitre or draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd after a trade down.
3. Decide early what we are going to do with Carimi…Dan Pompeii says he felt Carimi could be this year’s Tim Jennings in the way he bounces back…we have to decide if he is a guard who will compete for a spot there or if he is a RT who will compete there with Scott and Webb.

I think if we can just add two talented starters to the left hand side of the line it would allow us to scheme help for the right hand side…then next offseason we can get a centre early and then draft another guard or tackle in the mid to late rounds.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2014…Lance Briggs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group