Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pick a WR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smiley4805

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My desire for Ramses Barden in purple is completely based on the man crush I had on him prior to his draft in 2009. Tall and athletic I felt that he could be that possession type receiver that we have lacked for so long. I think risk versus reward if extremely low with Barden because he probably won't demand a large contract, just a chance to play. Check him out at the All Star Challenge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZO4H3aM6fo
vikes635

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiley4805 wrote:
My desire for Ramses Barden in purple is completely based on the man crush I had on him prior to his draft in 2009. Tall and athletic I felt that he could be that possession type receiver that we have lacked for so long. I think risk versus reward if extremely low with Barden because he probably won't demand a large contract, just a chance to play. Check him out at the All Star Challenge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZO4H3aM6fo

Yeah i remember this event i was realy high on barden when he was coming out! i would like to see us grab him and maybe a rookie in the 2nd resign harvin! Bowe and Wallace would be sweet but dont think we can afford to them

Rip Sean Taylor

PROPS TO Joe_is_the_best for the Sig

Adopt A Viking= Kyle Rudolph Rec=5 Targets=10 Drops= Penalties= tot yds=69 TD=1 Lng=21

Pre Season= 4 catches 1 drop 44 yards
jam8891

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I believe we choose not get rid of Harvin despite what "sources" are saying the opposite.. My opinion is that, the Vikings do not go out and sign a high-profile receiver like Jennings, Wallace, or Bowe but rather go out and sign a second tier WR like Massaquoi, Amendola, or Hartline. Of course they're are more I just don't feel like naming them all. Then with the First Rd selection, they pick a WR like Coradelle Patterson, Terrence Williams, or Keenan Allen. I do not know how many people will agree but thats what I feel would be the best approach to the off-season.
meixdaddy_10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jam8891 wrote:
Well, I believe we choose not get rid of Harvin despite what "sources" are saying the opposite.. My opinion is that, the Vikings do not go out and sign a high-profile receiver like Jennings, Wallace, or Bowe but rather go out and sign a second tier WR like Massaquoi, Amendola, or Hartline. Of course they're are more I just don't feel like naming them all. Then with the First Rd selection, they pick a WR like Coradelle Patterson, Terrence Williams, or Keenan Allen. I do not know how many people will agree but thats what I feel would be the best approach to the off-season.

This to an extent. I think people are trying to go overkill on WR's. Yes its our Biggest Priority for this off-season but look at it from a practical standpoint.

Re-signing Harvin should be Priority #1 no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

We need a #2 to go next to him preferably in the form of a down-field threat. This can be done through one of the mentioned tier 2 receivers. If not then look to RD 1 for a playmaker.

We have Wright as our #3 and i think we can resign Simpson to be a reliable #4. I think we can find a good developmental type in rds 4-5.

Dont forget we have Rudolph as a threat as well.

Thats all we really need for our offense. Its a run first offense and all we need is a semblence of a passing game and we're golden..look at the Houston and Green Bay games this year and tell me we cant win against great teams.

If we Resign Harvin, go grab Jennings and then Draft WR in RD 1, what happens to the development of Wright? Or even the RD1 receiver?

There is only one football to throw to all these guys and most of the time its going to AP. Harvin gets the next most amount of touches. ANy #1 type WR is going to get some and then Rudolph. That leaves maybe 5-6 attempts per game to go to WR's #3-5 if theyre even open.

I want the best team as possible but too many weapons means someone isnt happy and youngsters are not developing.

Ideally we resign Harvin and sign Jennings. We then dont have to draft WR til rd 3 or 4.. Id wait til 4 and go defense with first 3 picks. DT, LB and CB or S.

Defense wins Championships. All you need is an offense that can get the job done and with Ponders development i think we dont have to go overkill on offense.
PurpleNation22

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ You have a lot of really good arguments here. The real question will be money in the end though. Do we really have enough to re-sign Harvin and go after Jennings.

If we do end up getting both of them, I think you're right, wait til round 4 to take a WR. Maybe round 2 would be a good place to take one though because I think there will be some value in round 2 at WR.
vikes635

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meixdaddy_10 wrote:
jam8891 wrote:

This to an extent. I think people are trying to go overkill on WR's. Yes its our Biggest Priority for this off-season but look at it from a practical standpoint.

We need a #2 to go next to him preferably in the form of a down-field threat. This can be done through one of the mentioned tier 2 receivers. If not then look to RD 1 for a playmaker.

We have Wright as our #3 and i think we can resign Simpson to be a reliable #4. I think we can find a good developmental type in rds 4-5.

Thats all we really need for our offense. Its a run first offense and all we need is a semblence of a passing game and we're golden..look at the Houston and Green Bay games this year and tell me we cant win against great teams.

If we Resign Harvin, go grab Jennings and then Draft WR in RD 1, what happens to the development of Wright? Or even the RD1 receiver?

There is only one football to throw to all these guys and most of the time its going to AP. Harvin gets the next most amount of touches. ANy #1 type WR is going to get some and then Rudolph. That leaves maybe 5-6 attempts per game to go to WR's #3-5 if theyre even open.

I want the best team as possible but too many weapons means someone isnt happy and youngsters are not developing.

Ideally we resign Harvin and sign Jennings. We then dont have to draft WR til rd 3 or 4.. Id wait til 4 and go defense with first 3 picks. DT, LB and CB or S.

Defense wins Championships. All you need is an offense that can get the job done and with Ponders development i think we dont have to go overkill on offense.

i agree i want harvin back before siging a big name wr if we decide to get rid of harvin than i want wallace or bowe NOT jennings! i think if we sign a 2nd or 3rd teir wr and draft a wide out in 1st or 2nd rnd and let the fa and rookie battle for the number 2 spot and wright in the slot would be ideal. Free Agent pick up would be nice if it was barden

Rip Sean Taylor

PROPS TO Joe_is_the_best for the Sig

Adopt A Viking= Kyle Rudolph Rec=5 Targets=10 Drops= Penalties= tot yds=69 TD=1 Lng=21

Pre Season= 4 catches 1 drop 44 yards
The Gnat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I just broke, seems to be a good spot to put this, in the news forum, another WR will be on the market, Titus Young. Downside, he's being cut after two years, not bad years, but insubordinate years. Upside to bringing him here, he's a solid WR, even though he isn't terribly tall he can stretch the field and Singletery would probably scream at him until he got his head on straight, downside, like I said, off the field issues, coming off of injury, probably will still want a fair amount of money being a younger player with okay rookie and sophomore year under his belt.

PurplePeterson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
As I just broke, seems to be a good spot to put this, in the news forum, another WR will be on the market, Titus Young. Downside, he's being cut after two years, not bad years, but insubordinate years. Upside to bringing him here, he's a solid WR, even though he isn't terribly tall he can stretch the field and Singletery would probably scream at him until he got his head on straight, downside, like I said, off the field issues, coming off of injury, probably will still want a fair amount of money being a younger player with okay rookie and sophomore year under his belt.

I do not want a former Lion here plus Titus got character issues, NO THANKS!

Bringing former Bear wide receivers and former Packer wide receivers never work out here so what makes you think a former Lion will work out here? I do not want to see the Vikings bring any wide receivers from the division here anymore, I am sick and tired of it
meixdaddy_10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleNation22 wrote:
^^^^ You have a lot of really good arguments here. The real question will be money in the end though. Do we really have enough to re-sign Harvin and go after Jennings.

If we do end up getting both of them, I think you're right, wait til round 4 to take a WR. Maybe round 2 would be a good place to take one though because I think there will be some value in round 2 at WR.

I think if we are smart and extend Allen and do some restructures/cuts (Jenkins, Carlson, Johnson) we can get it done.

I love that draft pick compensation is soooo much lower than it used to be. It really helps teams get more bang for their buck.

I think we make one big splash in FA and thats WR. We can get some good complimentary pieces in FA that are very reasonable...LB, OG, maybe DT.
meixdaddy_10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikes635 wrote:
meixdaddy_10 wrote:
jam8891 wrote:

i agree i want harvin back before siging a big name wr if we decide to get rid of harvin than i want wallace or bowe NOT jennings! i think if we sign a 2nd or 3rd teir wr and draft a wide out in 1st or 2nd rnd and let the fa and rookie battle for the number 2 spot and wright in the slot would be ideal. Free Agent pick up would be nice if it was barden

I agree if we lose Harvin it has to be a true #1 star...Jennings is more of a #2 at this point in his career and would be a great compliment to Harvin. No Harvin = major problems!!!!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There arent many #1 stars available, if they were #1 stars, they wouldnt be available. I guess I dont see the connection. Harvin himself is not a #1 star. He isnt even a reliable outside receiver yet. Harvin is a complimentary receiver who largely relies on the short passing game to produce.

I guess I dont see how Harvin should impact the Vikings need at outside WR, its a position that isnt ideally suited for him at this point in time. Harvin should be compared to Jarius Wright if anything. There is a reason why Harvin has struggled to stay on the field in most packages in the past, he simply hasnt been reliable as a receiver on the outside. Harvin and Wright both are best suited in the slot, therefore should only see the field in three WR sets. However, that isnt how it works though. Harvin if he is a Viking, will be the team's #2 WR and outside WR in 2 WR sets. Its almost like fitting a square peg into a round hole and trying to put someone on the outside who isnt a good fit. No wonder the receivers have struggled the past couple of years, we dont have the proper personnel out wide.

Id like to add two outside receivers, and keep Wright in the slot personally.
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I guess I dont see how Harvin should impact the Vikings need at outside WR, its a position that isnt ideally suited for him at this point in time.

The impact is monetarily. I don't see us adding 2 major receivers AND locking up Harvin longterm.

To me, we will do one of the following:

-Resign Harvin, sign a FA WR
-Resign Harvin, draft a WR high
-Trade Harvin, draft a WR high AND sign a FA WR
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
I guess I dont see how Harvin should impact the Vikings need at outside WR, its a position that isnt ideally suited for him at this point in time.

The impact is monetarily. I don't see us adding 2 major receivers AND locking up Harvin longterm.

To me, we will do one of the following:

-Resign Harvin, sign a FA WR
-Resign Harvin, draft a WR high
-Trade Harvin, draft a WR high AND sign a FA WR

I do agree. If Harvin is resigned, I find it highly unlikely that the team is spending $6-8 million on a free agent WR in addition to adding an early pick at WR.

What could happen is the Vikings could add a middle tier free agent like Brandon Gibson or Brian Hartline to go with Harvin and possibly an early pick.

I just wouldnt expect a big free agent splash if Harvin remains a Viking. Harvin would essentially be that free agent splash and he doesnt do much to fill the void at outside WR.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I want to see a youth movement in the receiving corps. I'm not a big fan of signing a free agent receiver, in fact Greg Jennings is the only guy I'm interested in. But ideally, I'd like to see the Vikings re-sign Percy Harvin, hopefully a $5-$6 million per year type deal, and draft not one, but two, wide receivers high in the draft.

My Ideal scenario;

1. Re-sign Percy Harvin
2. Draft Keenan Allen in the 1st round
3. Draft Quinton Patton/Robert Woods in the 2nd

Giving the Vikings a receiving corps of;

1. Percy Harvin
2. Keenan Allen (Replaces Jerome Simpson on the roster)
3. Quinton Patton/Robert Woods (Replaces Devin Aromashodu on the roster)
4. Jarius Wright
5. Michael Jenkins
6. Stephen Burton

I know many are going to say it's overkill to draft two receivers early, and that it's a waste of our limited resources. But I think our defense is a solid unit, that can be improved with a few subtle free agent signings, and that the key to success next year is going to be getting the passing game to a respectable level. And while, I have hope the Ponder can continue to build on what he did the last three games, I'm not exactly confident in him. But with that said, the only way he is going to get better is by giving him better options on the outside. So, while some may see two early picks on wide receivers as overkill, I think of it as an investment in the most important player on the team.
Robbroy45

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Personally, I want to see a youth movement in the receiving corps. I'm not a big fan of signing a free agent receiver, in fact Greg Jennings is the only guy I'm interested in. But ideally, I'd like to see the Vikings re-sign Percy Harvin, hopefully a $5-$6 million per year type deal, and draft not one, but two, wide receivers high in the draft.

My Ideal scenario;

1. Re-sign Percy Harvin
2. Draft Keenan Allen in the 1st round
3. Draft Quinton Patton/Robert Woods in the 2nd

Giving the Vikings a receiving corps of;

1. Percy Harvin
2. Keenan Allen (Replaces Jerome Simpson on the roster)
3. Quinton Patton/Robert Woods (Replaces Devin Aromashodu on the roster)
4. Jarius Wright
5. Michael Jenkins
6. Stephen Burton

I know many are going to say it's overkill to draft two receivers early, and that it's a waste of our limited resources. But I think our defense is a solid unit, that can be improved with a few subtle free agent signings, and that the key to success next year is going to be getting the passing game to a respectable level. And while, I have hope the Ponder can continue to build on what he did the last three games, I'm not exactly confident in him. But with that said, the only way he is going to get better is by giving him better options on the outside. So, while some may see two early picks on wide receivers as overkill, I think of it as an investment in the most important player on the team.

If this team didn't have too many other immediate holes to fill such as SS, MLB, and LG, I'd be fine with that draft philosophy, but taking just 1 receiver would due because of Jarius Wright stepping up at the end of the year. Plus Percy is going to want waaaay more than $5-$6 million per, I'd guess he'll be shooting for double digits.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: