Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pick a WR
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zgordo34

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Pick a WR Reply with quote

I believe that a number one WR is the biggest need for the vikes, there are quite a few available in free agency...I want to know who you feel fits our team and would be reasonable to sign. I wouldn't mind Greg Jennings on a 4 year 36-38 million deal, or Dewayne Bowe on a 3 year 26-30 million. I would like to get either in free agency, and then use our first round pick on OL Barrett Jones if he's there (love his versatility). Then use our second round pick on best LB or WR available. What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones to me is an overrated player, he is very versatile, but I don't see his play being at a high enough level to hold down one position for a long time in the NFL.

I don't love either Jennings or Bowe, really. Jennings is getting old and missed time this past year, Bowe I could see more, a bit younger, bit more of a vertical passing attack threat to open stuff for Harvin. I would actually prefer to address OG or LB in free agency than WR. I think that there will be a solid WR we can take in round one and then take another in round four to help fill in the need.

CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to sign a WR in Free agency:
My WR Board:
Wallace
Hartline
Bowe
Jennings

If successful, I look to draft defense (DT, LB, S, CB) in Round 1.

If we can't get those above WRs, then I do the opposite:
Sign LB or DT or OG in Free Agency, and potentially draft your #1 WR.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Wallace would be a nice fit for the Vikings giving us the deep threat that we lack, but a think that teams will overpay similar to Garcon last year and I'm not sure that spending that much would be an option. Ramses Barden on the other hand is a big body at 6'6" 224lbs and he just turned 27 this month (Jan). He has spent his career buried on the Giants depth chart, when he finally got his chance in week 3 he busted out 9 catches on 10 targets for 138 yards. This guy is a small school stud from Cal Poly that just may be the diamond in the rough that we need. He should be available at a reasonable price and could be a very productive possession receiver if given the chance.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennings is old? He's 29. I could see it being a problem if he was like 34, but realistically you could atleast expect 4 more years of solid-great production.

Dwayne Bowe is pretty much a year younger than Jennings at 28. I like what he provides as a true #1, but I'd expect him to command top dollar, and teams like Seattle or Miami might really cash in on him, and we already know if we try to get into a bidding war with Seattle, they'll pay that guy FAR more than what he's worth.

I'd try to sign Jennings and still look for a WR in the first round. I think Keenan Allen or Justin Hunter would be a great fit for our team. I still don't feel confident Cordarrelle Patterson will be available with our pick, allthough I heard he's pretty raw (and plus he needs to cut that stupid long hair of his!)

At that point, I'd look to trade Percy Harvin. I think his value is late 1st, early 2nd. Perhaps a team like Houston would be willing to trade for him.

With that pick, I'd look to draft Kevin Minter, MLB from LSU.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have stated, I think the team needs to choose between Greg Jennings, Dwayne Bowe Mike Wallace or Percy Harvin.

I would choose Mike Wallace of that bunch, but I dont think he will even consider coming to Minnesota. the market for him will be intense and I just dont see the Vikings getting involved.

I think Jennings will be the most realistic of outside free agent WRs. He seems to have the most connections to the Vikings/upper midwest.

I have serious doubts about this team adding a premier free agent WR and somehow paying Harvin #1 WR type money.
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here would be my order of free agent WRs:

Brandon Gibson
Ramses Barden
Danario Alexander (he's restricted, so it's unlikely)
Brian Hartline
Mohamed Massaquoi (he has regressed throughout his career and is coming off a knee injury, but he's only 26 and might come very cheaply as a last resort)

I think if they sign one of those and draft one, they'll be in significantly better shape. There is no need for a Wallace or Bowe, both of whom have significant character issues.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually really like Gibson. He's got an Anquan Boldin type quality to his game and had a good catch rate this year.

He also fits the Rick Spielman mold of a guy coming off of his rookie deal.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why pay big money to a guy from outside the organization when you have a real & unique talent sitting right there?

Yes, the Vikes could franchise Percy and really pss him off, which could be a media spectacle . . . or they could sign him for 7 years for $65-75 million with $25 mil guaranteed for the first 4 years - that'd be a minumum of $6.25 mil per year for starters. Getting three more years of AP, Rudolph, Ponder and Percy working together would be a good thing. If that's not a generous enough offer for the guy, then send him packing via trade.

Considering the weakness of the position for the team, they need to draft two WRs at a minumum. It'd be great to see them take one in the 1st or 2nd Rds and another in the 4/5th -- provided the fit is there.

With this team having Harvin (provided a deal gets done) and Wright, we really need two big bodies who can be legitimate deep threats. Red zone skill would be nice, but I think Rudolph's locking down that role;) It's possible Greg Childs could recover and fill that role for one guy, but I wouldn't count on it.

It's time to make the investment at the WR position - the smart way.
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the deal with Ramses Barden? I cannot wrap my head around the infatuation some posters have for him. I get that he's enormous and young, but besides the 1 game this year where he had 9 receptions, what has he done ever? He wasnt a big time college WR. I dont buy the "stuck behind amazing WRs" argument. Nicks was hurt for a bunch of games this year, Reuben Randle was a rookie who everybody also used the depth excuse for, and the only other WR ahead of him would be Dominik Hixon who hasnt exactly set the world on fire (39 receptions, 2 tds).

I haven't watched much NY Giant football, but can somebody please explain where the love comes from? Or even just the idea that he's got some potential, because I havent seen any evidence statistically.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a ton of "love" per say, but he fits a Rick Spielman type free agent and he's flashed his upside.

He still has things to work on, and has some injury history, but I think people are enamored with his size.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, I'd rather have Brandon Gibson than Ramses Barden.

I've just never seen enough from him to believe he's anymore than a big #5 WR.

and now thinking about it, if we couldn't land either Dwayne Bowe or Greg Jennings (as I really don't think we will pursue/be able to pursue Brian Hartline or Mike Wallace) I'd totally consider Gibson.

He just looks like a "gamer" to me.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing on Barden other than my evaluation of him prior to the draft, in which I though that there was a lot of potential there. Certainly, he hasn't done anything to warrant a big contract, but I see him as one of those guys that with more playing time, could potentially be a very effective WR in the Vikings' offense.

No, he wasn't a big-time college WR, but it's hard to say that when he played at Cal Poly. Sometimes, it takes a little longer for those I-AA guys to develop. They aren't all Jerry Rice. Even Vincent Jackson (out of Northern Colorado) took a couple of years starting to turn into the receiver he is. I'm not saying that Barden will be Vincent Jackson, but it's hard to say that he wouldn't be nearly as effective, since he hasn't had significant playing time. Maybe it's because of poor practice habits? I don't know.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
minnvikes22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with Brian Hartline as my 1st choice and Brandon Gibson as my #2 option.

I also agree with what disaacs says.. I would sign 1 of these 2 guys and draft a WR as well.. Probably even in the 1st round..

I would rather use our money on a OG like Andy Levitre from Buffalo.. He would be my big signing in FA.. After drafting a WR in the 1st round, I would then focus on drafting Deffensive players in the 2nd,3rd, and 4th rounds..
DJpillz317

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Keenan Allen is there, I say we pull the trigger round one. The guy is a STUD and is guarenteed to be at least above average I think.

Prediction: Derek Carr = next Brandon Weeden; Zach Mett will be a good starter; Manziel will be a STAR.
Blake Bortles is going to be a Viking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: