Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers will trade or release QB Alex Smith
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrettFavre4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: 49ers will trade or release QB Alex Smith Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000132647/article/alex-smiths-time-with-san-francisco-49ers-nears-end

Quote:
Ian Rapoport of NFL.com reports that Smith will not be a member of the team next year. The 49ers will try to trade him, but they will cut him early out of respect to Smith if nothing happens quickly.

The news of Smith's eventual departure is not a huge shock, but it's very notable that the team would be amenable to possibly cutting Smith. Rapoport notes that the 49ers have a strong relationship with Smith and his agent, Tom Condon. They believe he's earned the right to pick a team and be treated right.

Teams already interested in Smith, via Rapoport's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/296429272418091008

Quote:
Chiefs figure to be in mix of teams interested in Alex Smith (along w Bills, Cards, maybe Eagles). Interest will be real for a 1-year rental

Expected at this point, but wanted to start a discussion on where Smith will land. Will he able to choose a team or does he have enough trade value to get a deal done?

Last edited by BrettFavre4 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he returns to pre-Harbaugh form. They should trade him to Arizona and keep him in the division.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His contract is not too attractive for a trade. It would have to be pretty cheap.
BrettFavre4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I think he returns to pre-Harbaugh form. They should trade him to Arizona and keep him in the division.

My fear as well. Although I'd like the Bills to try for him, I have that fear and also don't know if he'd be a fit here.

I think the Cardinals make the most sense. Playing in a dome could be the best fit for him and he'd have an elite WR.
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worries me that he may not be as good without Harbaugh's system, but he was improving as his career went on.
I think Minny is his best fit, but I don't think they bail on Ponder yet.
Wouldn't mind him in Jax, QB class is garbage.

I hate the Jaguars
kmvoss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre4 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

My fear as well. Although I'd like the Bills to try for him, I have that fear and also don't know if he'd be a fit here.

I think the Cardinals make the most sense. Playing in a dome could be the best fit for him and he'd have an elite WR.

Yep, Cardinals would be the best for everyone. Especially the fans. I'd love to see Smith get his shot @ the 49ers twice next year.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most interesting things to watch this next season will be how Smith plays on another team and without Jim. Very curious to see how he does. He's defnintely going to need a similar supporting cast that he's had in SF the last 2 seasons to keep his level of play up.

Kempes on the custom sig!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
It worries me that he may not be as good without Harbaugh's system, but he was improving as his career went on.

The Vikings will be in the market for a backup QB, since Joe Webb proved to be completely awful. I doubt that Smith would want to come to MN and I wouldnt expect the Vikings to make a run at him as he will likely be a rather pricey backup.

I expect Smith to be starting somewhere next year. He is too good to not be a starter, considering how many bad starting QBs there are right now. Same could be said for Matt Flynn and Matt Moore.
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:

The Vikings will be in the market for a backup QB, since Joe Webb proved to be completely awful. I doubt that Smith would want to come to MN and I wouldnt expect the Vikings to make a run at him as he will likely be a rather pricey backup.

I expect Smith to be starting somewhere next year. He is too good to not be a starter, considering how many bad starting QBs there are right now. Same could be said for Matt Flynn and Matt Moore.

Smith is definitely signing to at least compete to start. Vikings are too stubborn to quit on Ponder, even for a QB that is better.

I hate the Jaguars
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:

I think he'd be a good temporary fit in Jax. He's a game manager. Won't put up as good of numbers without Harbaugh but even before Harbaugh, he was an ok game manager. 16 TDs to 11 ints a year type player.

If the Jags improve their OL, could offer them solid play. Won't win them game but won't lose the games either with their improving WR corp, Marcedes and MJD.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:

I think he'd be a good temporary fit in Jax. He's a game manager. Won't put up as good of numbers without Harbaugh but even before Harbaugh, he was an ok game manager. 16 TDs to 11 ints a year type player.

If the Jags improve their OL, could offer them solid play. Won't win them game but won't lose the games either with their improving WR corp, Marcedes and MJD.

Unless they got the route of developing a guy a la Kaep (which in this class means they would likely either still spend their 1st on Geno if available, trade back into the 1st for Glennon or get extraordinarily lucky for him to fall to the 2nd round, or take a chance - assuming he's there - on Bray in the 3rd and hope his character flaws become a thing of the past), does the bolded really do them many favors for the future?

It certainly doesn't seem like it puts them in a position to compete for a championship in the present. And it looks more like it would do just enough to keep them out of high-pick range for a legitimate shot at the likes of more legitimate franchise QB options in Bridgewater, Manziel, and several others that could come out next year. Just feels counter-intuitive to me from the standpoint of trying to build a team capable of winning a Lombardi (which is Khan's stated objective).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=512493

Here ya go....

It's too bad for the Cardinals that there are two teams in the division with competent QBs on the market (Seahawks - Flynn, 49ers - Smith). I doubt Smith plays for the Cardinals. My bet - start printing your Smith jerseys in Kansas City Red.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:

Unless they got the route of developing a guy a la Kaep (which in this class means they would likely either still spend their 1st on Geno if available, trade back into the 1st for Glennon or get extraordinarily lucky for him to fall to the 2nd round, or take a chance - assuming he's there - on Bray in the 3rd and hope his character flaws become a thing of the past), does the bolded really do them many favors for the future?

It certainly doesn't seem like it puts them in a position to compete for a championship in the present. And it looks more like it would do just enough to keep them out of high-pick range for a legitimate shot at the likes of more legitimate franchise QB options in Bridgewater, Manziel, and several others that could come out next year. Just feels counter-intuitive to me from the standpoint of trying to build a team capable of winning a Lombardi (which is Khan's stated objective).

Well, they're in a spot to get a QB to possibly develop in the 1st or 2nd. If not, it's better than going into next year with Henne and Gabbert.

Say what you want but the fans will be angry if the team mails it in.

Plus, they might still be able to get the franchise's savior...Blake Bortles. Laughing

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
apollo14000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmvoss wrote:
BrettFavre4 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Yep, Cardinals would be the best for everyone. Especially the fans. I'd love to see Smith get his shot @ the 49ers twice next year.

With Bruce Arians in town we'll run a vertical offense that will result in more deep pass attempts than a large majority of the league. Arians himself stated he'll never play dink and dunk football. Does anyone see the problem with this fit now? Classic case of seeing a team in need of a QB and then disregarding the fit a QB has in that offense.
popie70

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the chiefs are probably the leading candidate. But the 49ers will probably have to release him now. With the story being made public that they are willing to cut him and his contract, most teams will wait for them to cut him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: