Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jarvis Jones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troofax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually am looking forward to seeing worilds get his shot. I thought he flashed his potential late,especially in the run game,one reason I don't like Jarvis. Add in medical concerns,age, and I do not want.
3. Robert Woods WR USC
4. Jonathan Franklin RB UCLA

That's all I got, will fill in the rest later.
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
jcm412 wrote:
treat88 wrote:
jebrick wrote:
The Steelers will not get a shot.

Fact.

While I tend to agree, the same thing was said about DeCastro last year.

Anything's possible for sure, so talking in absolutes is only for effect.

Correct phrasing would have been something like "highly improbable"...but I didn't want to sound like a complete lerp.

Damn semantics.

The fact that a rush LB is far more valuable than an OG makes it far more improbable than the DD "fall".

Remember what skills are valued in the early part of the draft. QB, Pass rusher, LT. You might get a Planet Theory person like Suh or Lotulelei or Megatron but generally pass rushers will come off fast.

Also Jarvis Jones can't play the run to save his life at this point. One trick pony right now.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
treat88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
treat88 wrote:
jcm412 wrote:
treat88 wrote:
jebrick wrote:
The Steelers will not get a shot.

Fact.

While I tend to agree, the same thing was said about DeCastro last year.

Anything's possible for sure, so talking in absolutes is only for effect.

Correct phrasing would have been something like "highly improbable"...but I didn't want to sound like a complete lerp.

Damn semantics.

The fact that a rush LB is far more valuable than an OG makes it far more improbable than the DD "fall".

Remember what skills are valued in the early part of the draft. QB, Pass rusher, LT. You might get a Planet Theory person like Suh or Lotulelei or Megatron but generally pass rushers will come off fast.

Also Jarvis Jones can't play the run to save his life at this point. One trick pony right now.

Yep.

QB's rule the draft, but pass rush is a close second.

I don't know how his run D will stand up in the NFL, but I think Jones has every bit the potential that Von Miller had coming out. I would happily have that kind of one trick pony. (I'm not saying he will have the same impact just that they are very similar as prospects go).

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
jebrick wrote:
At least he beats some players. Not all gil-dong sacks.

But do not worry about Jones. He is a top 5-10 player if there are no concerns. The Steelers will not get a shot.

Gildon has 72 sacks that's a lot for any player!

Gildon had most of those sacks without beating anyone. I was pointing out that Worlds can beat TE and runningbacks which is more than Gildon could do and Timmons did for a long while.

accuracy, true enough.

if he can learn to use his hands better and stop trying to run the arc 15 yards deep he'll have a chance.

that said I honestly would be fine with Jarvis Jones in the first if he's healthy. Of course, if he's healthy he won't be there at 1.17. He's a playmaker, but I worry that we'd drop him into coverage half hte time like we do our 35-year old bad knee/bad back 5'11 OLB

also, Jones isn't anywhere near Von Miller. Miller is a better pass rusher, and is FAR from being a 1-trick pony like Jones
treat88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
jebrick wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
jebrick wrote:
At least he beats some players. Not all gil-dong sacks.

But do not worry about Jones. He is a top 5-10 player if there are no concerns. The Steelers will not get a shot.

Gildon has 72 sacks that's a lot for any player!

Gildon had most of those sacks without beating anyone. I was pointing out that Worlds can beat TE and runningbacks which is more than Gildon could do and Timmons did for a long while.

accuracy, true enough.

if he can learn to use his hands better and stop trying to run the arc 15 yards deep he'll have a chance.

that said I honestly would be fine with Jarvis Jones in the first if he's healthy. Of course, if he's healthy he won't be there at 1.17. He's a playmaker, but I worry that we'd drop him into coverage half hte time like we do our 35-year old bad knee/bad back 5'11 OLB

also, Jones isn't anywhere near Von Miller. Miller is a better pass rusher, and is FAR from being a 1-trick pony like Jones

Yeah, not suggesting Miller was or is a one trick pony, rather that Jones is far less so than is made out to be.

Bruce Irvin may be a better comp in some ways, but I think Jones is a legit top 5 talent.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Irvin comp is spot on
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's a Bruce Irvin comparison..i want nothing to do with Jones.

The other thing I don't want to see is the Steelers trade up and it cost them their 2014 1st to get him. I doubt that is realistic anyway, that's out of the norm of something the Steelers would ever do, but I definitely don't wanna see a first time for it.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think that Jarvis Jones' decision to not work out at the combine will hurt his stock?

Stock fluctuates for all kinds of reasons, anyone think there's going to be a fluctuation here?
stefan52268

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Do you think that Jarvis Jones' decision to not work out at the combine will hurt his stock?

Stock fluctuates for all kinds of reasons, anyone think there's going to be a fluctuation here?

It might. I'm sure teams are wondering if he is hiding something with his decision. If he works out and has a great pro day he could gain back any stock that he lost.

Will he be there for interviews and Measurements?

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
ImissEricGreen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy this league is having a difficult time finding another Potsy. Aaron Curry, Von Miller, & Jarvis Jones.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImissEricGreen wrote:
Boy this league is having a difficult time finding another Potsy. Aaron Curry, Von Miller, & Jarvis Jones.

This post makes no sense.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImissEricGreen wrote:

translator please?
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
ImissEricGreen wrote:

translator please?

Dude, did you cop what dis league is be doing to us mane? Des teams be having a hard time replacing dem boy Potsy over here since all we got left be dudes of da caliber Aaron Curry, Von Miller, & Jarvis Jones.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
ImissEricGreen wrote:

translator please?

Dude, did you cop what dis league is be doing to us mane? Des teams be having a hard time replacing dem boy Potsy over here since all we got left be dudes of da caliber Aaron Curry, Von Miller, & Jarvis Jones.

LOL...What? Laughing
treat88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...maybe following in Courtney Upshaw's path with this decision.

Very different players, but maybe he will slip farther than I think he might.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: