Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FFMD13 - Scouting Reports
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouts - I need reports on the following for the board (and whoever else you think it worth looking at):

Desmond Trufant CB - Washington
Jordan Poyer CB - Oregon State
Robert Alford CB - Southeastern Louisiana
Dwayne Gratz CB - UCONN
B.W. Webb CB - William & Mary
Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB - UCONN
Kawann Short DT - Purdue
Bennie Logan DT - LSU
Jordan Hill DT - Penn State
Kenny Vaccaro SS - Texas
Duke Williams SS - Nevada
Robert Woods WR - USC
DeAndre Hopkins WR - Clemson
Terrance Williams WR - Baylor
Quinton Patton WR - Louisiana Tech
Markus Wheaton WR - Oregon State
Stedman Bailey WR - West Virginia
Tavarres King WR - Georgia
Marquise Goodwin WR - Texas
Conner Vernon WR - Duke

Cheers GFW.
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get those DL/LB reports up when. Only have my phone and it's not ideal for reports.

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
2.5 Sax, 17 tackles, 1 TD
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safety top-6:

1. Tony Jefferson - Jefferson is a pure centerfield prospect. Explosive reaction time and speed allow him to cover a lot of ground, moving forward or sideline to sideline and getting out of his backpedal. At Oklahoma, he was always around the football. Jefferson displays quality coverage instincts to go along with his range. Never just floating around in space, Jefferson seems to have a natural feel for zone coverage. He also closes fast on the football. Against the run, Jefferson's big issue is that his tackling is inconsistent for a high pick. He needs to stop going for the hit stick and wrap up sometimes. However, he reads play action well and can play downhill.

Overall, Jefferson is my favorite safety prospect in the draft. He appears to have tremendous natural aptitude for the position, and the skills to translate his decorated college career to the NFL.

GRADE: 7.3

2. Jonathan Cyprien - Another potential star in the group for me is Jonathan Cyprien. JC has a blend of attributes that few safety prospects possess. He is big and can lay the wood, but also a fluid athlete with tantalizing speed. Cyprien gets out of his backpedal like lightning, and in college showed excellent ability to break on the ball and accelerate when he identifies a play.

There are few holes in Cyprien's game. If I had to pick one, he doesn't look great sorting through trash up at the LOS, but for a safety that skill is relatively low-value. Overall, he reminds me of 2012 flavor of the week Dashon Goldson, a talented safety who can play effectively at all levels of the field. He and Jefferson are the two guys I really believe will be immediate impact guys in the NFL.

GRADE: 7.0

3. Kenny Vaccaro - Vaccaro is big and fast, and rangy, but also has the hip fluidity and footwork/agility to play in man coverage roles. The physical ability alone makes him a top prospect for 2013. He profiles to be a versatile defender in the pros.

His tackling is inconsistent. While he generally tackles well and takes good angles to the ball, he forgets to wrap up sometimes and goes for the big hit instead of bringing down the ball-carrier securely. In coverage, he plays aggressively and appears to guess wrong often. His ability to diagnose plays has to improve for him to be a major factor in coverage at the NFL level, and not just a player who makes splashy plays like Texas alum Michael Griffin. Lastly, he sometimes struggles to get off blocks and jam players at the line. Both of these seem correctable however. The positives are that he can contribute in man-to-man situations immediately on tight ends and move-guys like Hernandez, and has functional ability to operate out of zones due to his instincts and athleticism.

Overall, Vaccaro is a talented prospect but one who needs work. In time I believe he will be a highly productive NFL safety. I do not think he represents good value for the Patriots due to his need for development.

GRADE: 6.9

3. Shamarko Thomas - Listed earlier.

5. Eric Reid - Once (and possibly still) regarded as the top safety in the draft, Reid is a player with strong athletic bloodlines, and Tarzan-like physical prowess. He was a playmaker at LSU, showing the ability to make plays on the ball in the air. However, a visit to the "film room" reveals a player who is more of an athlete than a safety. He plays slower than his timed speed, and does not react to the quarterback's actions in time to break on balls in coverage. He is a very good tackler with free safety mentality, who appears to value sure tackling more than most college players like him.

Overall, Reid is a talented prospect. However, he does not appear to have the aptitude for the position that my higher ranked prospects do. With the right coaching, Reid can become a star, but until then he profiles to be merely a contributor.

GRADE: 6.8

6. DJ Swearinger - Listed earlier.

GRADE: 6.7

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Safety top-6:

1. Tony Jefferson - Jefferson is a pure centerfield prospect. Explosive reaction time and speed allow him to cover a lot of ground, moving forward or sideline to sideline and getting out of his backpedal. At Oklahoma, he was always around the football. Jefferson displays quality coverage instincts to go along with his range. Never just floating around in space, Jefferson seems to have a natural feel for zone coverage. He also closes fast on the football. Against the run, Jefferson's big issue is that his tackling is inconsistent for a high pick. He needs to stop going for the hit stick and wrap up sometimes. However, he reads play action well and can play downhill.

Overall, Jefferson is my favorite safety prospect in the draft. He appears to have tremendous natural aptitude for the position, and the skills to translate his decorated college career to the NFL.

GRADE: 7.3

2. Jonathan Cyprien - Another potential star in the group for me is Jonathan Cyprien. JC has a blend of attributes that few safety prospects possess. He is big and can lay the wood, but also a fluid athlete with tantalizing speed. Cyprien gets out of his backpedal like lightning, and in college showed excellent ability to break on the ball and accelerate when he identifies a play.

There are few holes in Cyprien's game. If I had to pick one, he doesn't look great sorting through trash up at the LOS, but for a safety that skill is relatively low-value. Overall, he reminds me of 2012 flavor of the week Dashon Goldson, a talented safety who can play effectively at all levels of the field. He and Jefferson are the two guys I really believe will be immediate impact guys in the NFL.

GRADE: 7.0

3. Kenny Vaccaro - Vaccaro is big and fast, and rangy, but also has the hip fluidity and footwork/agility to play in man coverage roles. The physical ability alone makes him a top prospect for 2013. He profiles to be a versatile defender in the pros.

His tackling is inconsistent. While he generally tackles well and takes good angles to the ball, he forgets to wrap up sometimes and goes for the big hit instead of bringing down the ball-carrier securely. In coverage, he plays aggressively and appears to guess wrong often. His ability to diagnose plays has to improve for him to be a major factor in coverage at the NFL level, and not just a player who makes splashy plays like Texas alum Michael Griffin. Lastly, he sometimes struggles to get off blocks and jam players at the line. Both of these seem correctable however. The positives are that he can contribute in man-to-man situations immediately on tight ends and move-guys like Hernandez, and has functional ability to operate out of zones due to his instincts and athleticism.

Overall, Vaccaro is a talented prospect but one who needs work. In time I believe he will be a highly productive NFL safety. I do not think he represents good value for the Patriots due to his need for development.

3. Shamarko Thomas - Listed earlier.

5. Eric Reid - Once (and possibly still) regarded as the top safety in the draft, Reid is a player with strong athletic bloodlines, and Tarzan-like physical prowess. He was a playmaker at LSU, showing the ability to make plays on the ball in the air. However, a visit to the "film room" reveals a player who is more of an athlete than a safety. He plays slower than his timed speed, and does not react to the quarterback's actions in time to break on balls in coverage. He is a very good tackler with free safety mentality, who appears to value sure tackling more than most college players like him.

Overall, Reid is a talented prospect. However, he does not appear to have the aptitude for the position that my higher ranked prospects do. With the right coaching, Reid can become a star, but until then he profiles to be merely a contributor.

GRADE: 6.8

6. DJ Swearinger - Listed earlier.

GRADE: 6.7

Aces - added missing ones to the sheet.

We need more WR's and CB's - plus more mid-late round prospects.
PatriotBeast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB Jabari Greer

#33 CB5' 11", 180 lbsNew Orleans Saints
Birth DateFebruary 11, 1982 (Age: 30)
Birth PlaceJackson, TN
Experience9 years
CollegeTennessee

2012 Season
COMB FF INT
51 0 3
Career
383 2 12

Risk-Medium-Low
Coverage-Medium-High
Tackling-Medium
Cost-Medium-Medium(4th round pick)

OVERALL-6.9
Likeliness of success-Medium-High

Reason-Upgrade over Arrington and gives us better depth behind our 2 starters. Have a feeling he would be a good 3rd CB. An underrated CB, Excels at making a break for the ball and deflecting throws/staying with his man.
PatriotBeast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FS Malcolm Jenkins

40 yard dash time: 4.53 seconds

#27 S6' 0", 204 lbsNew Orleans Saints
Birth DateDecember 20, 1987 (Age: 25)
Birth PlaceEast Orange, NJ
Experience4 years
CollegeOhio State

2012 Season
COMB FF INT
94 0 1
Career
290 4 4

Cost-High(3rd)
Risk-Medium
Coverage-Medium
Tackling-High

Overall:7
Likeliness of success-Medium

Reason-To fill the spot next to Mcourt with a tackling machine. The price however is a cause for concern. However we may be able to haggle for a lower pick. Still young so he can be developed into a star starter next to mcourt.

Last edited by PatriotBeast on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
PatriotBeast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SS Roman Harper

40 yard dash time: 4.5 seconds

#41 S6' 1", 200 lbsNew Orleans Saints
Birth DateDecember 11, 1982 (Age: 30)
Birth PlacePrattville, AL
Experience7 years
CollegeAlabama

2012 Season
COMB FF INT
115 0 2
Career
616 14 6 17 sacks

Risk-Low-Medium
Coverage-Medium
Tackling-High
Cost-Medium-Low(5th rd)

Overall-7.2
Likeliness of success- Medium-High

Reason- Another Tackling machine to play across from mcourt, the price is not as high as Jenkins however, he is also 5 yrs older.
PatriotBeast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB DeAngelo Hall

40 yard dash time: 4.37 seconds

#23 CB5' 10", 193 lbsWashington Redskins
Birth DateNovember 19, 1983 (Age: 29)
Birth PlaceChesapeake, VA
Experience9 years
CollegeVirginia Tech

2012 Season
COMB FF INT
95 0 4
Career
639 6 39

Risk-Medium
Coverage-High
Tackling-Medium-High
Cost-Medium(4th rd)

OVERALL-7.3
Likeliness of Success-Medium

Reason- Hall would add a smart coverage cornerback to our DB arsenal, adding depth and a man with Exp. to help teach our young secondary. Would replace Arrington.
PatriotBeast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Wright CB

was cut by TB

#21 CB5' 10", 200 lbsTampa Bay Buccaneers
Birth DateJuly 24, 1985 (Age: 27)
Birth PlaceSan Francisco, CA
Experience6 years
CollegeNevada-Las Vegas

2012 Season
COMB FF INT
39 0 1
Career
362 3 14

Comments:Average Ball hawk too
Reason-CB Depth
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love me some Harper...roll tide!

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys - we need reports on CB's and WR's.

Cheers

GFW
Jaymun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm so late on these, I've been swamped with midterms.

Oday Aboushi - Aboushi plays tackle like he's a schoolyard bully. He's strong, violent, and aggressive almost to a fault.

In the run game, Aboushi is slower off the ball than you'd like to see, but what he does once he's out of his stance makes up for it. He always delivers a blow on contact, and shows a knack for rolling his hips and getting movement. Aboushi finishes every block he can, it's not a rare sight to see him 15-20 yards away from the play still working to dominate his man, and it's great to see that kind of tenacity.

The pass game is where Aboushi's aggressiveness works against him though. He's not exceptionally athletic to begin with, so when he lunges out looking for a powerful strike in the passing game, he finds himself way out of position. He's weak against speed rushes to the outside, and even weaker against spins, the move I notice that beats him the highest percentage of the time is a spin once the defender already has a step to the outside, he tries to overcompensate, and gets beat back inside.

Once he's been beat to the edge a couple of times, he has a tendency to over-set his man, worrying more about getting out as fast as he can than he does about mirroring the end, and on these plays he gets beat by inside moves regularly.

It's unclear whether its an issue with conditioning or with effort, but as the games wear on Aboushi's technique deteriorates pretty badly, and he starts playing flat footed and bending at the waist in pass pro.

When Aboushi does manage to get in good position and lock on to a pass rusher, it's rare that he gets beat. His strike in the pass game is almost as good as it is in the run game, and he's got great grip, it's rare to see a defender break his grip once it's established.

Aboushi was a left tackle in college, but as a pro I'd be surprised if he didn't move to the right side. He will not be an effective pass blocker when he first enters the league, and I'd be surprised if his pass blocking ever developed into anything more than serviceable. His run blocking is strong and impressive however, and that will be how he makes his paychecks at the next level.

Overall Rating - 6.0 - Wouldn't use anything higher than a 3rd on him.

Menelik Watson - Watson is the kind of guy for whom the sky is the limit. He's rife with technique issues, and doesn't have a lot of experience, but he's a physical freak, and I expect the combine to cause his draft stock to soar.

In the run game he plays high, but still manages excellent movement. His punch tends to come straight, instead of taking a more ideal low-to-high trajectory, but it still delivers a blow, and even without effective use of his hips (due to how high he is) he still gets great push. He also reaches defenders laterally with ease, getting his head across and getting movement upfield simultaneously. He sometimes looks lost blocking at the second level, but with his athleticism I wouldn't be surprised if that develops into a strong area of his game.

In the pass game he's a waist-bender, and is frequently slow on his punch.
He's athletic enough, however, that he usually manages to recover from these, and even when he lunges and misses he keeps fairly good balance.

The waist-bending doesn't deter me, however. It was one of (if not) the biggest knocks on Solder coming out of college, and Scar quickly coached him out of that.

Watson's feet in the pass game are phenomenal, and he shows a great ability to mirror defenders. He defends well against speed rushes, and is phenomenal against counter-moves. He also shows tremendous power when sliding inside on slide protection.

It's really hard to get a feel on what Watson's draft stock is right now. Looking around online I'm seeing everwhere from 4th round to late 1st (from mel Kiper). I think both of those extremes are off, but an impressive combine may have him going as high as early-mid 2nd. He's certainly not ready to jump into a starting role (at least effectively), but if we bring back Vollmer, Watson could very well be worth a look early in the 3rd, or maybe even late in the 2nd.

Overall Rating - 6.3

Manase Foketi - I'm struggling to find tape on Foketi, so this is mostly just a compilation of what I've read about him, but if anybody knows where I can find some film on him I'd love to take a look at it.

Foketi is light on his feet in pass pro, showing good balance and a good kick-slide.

He doesn't appear to project as a left tackle in the NFL, and at at least 330, you have to wonder if he'll move inside to guard.

He may have off-field issues to worry about, as he requested a release from his scholarship at Kansas State, and when denied this, chose to play Division II ball instead of remain at Kansas St. He has played a season since he tore his achilles, but it will be interesting to see at the combine how his feet look.

He's an aggressive blocker, but relies on strength and athleticism, neither of which are categories in which he will be elite at the next level, rather than technique in the run game.

Without actually seeing film on him I can't really give him a rating, but for what it's worth I'm seeing him value mostly as a 6th round, with some places having him go in the 7th.

Jordan Mills - Mills isn't a stud prospect by any stretch, but he IS a guy that could be good value if he falls far enough.

In the run game he's athletic, getting off the ball quickly and finding himself in good positions, but he does run block with enough strength to really finish plays. He's solid blocking at the second level, and on screens, showing good athleticism there.

He gets out of his stance well in the pass game, but occasionally doesn't bring his feet quickly enough, and ends up with his weight on his heels against an outside rush.

He does have good strength in the pass game though, utilizing it much better than in the run game. He rarely gets pushed back on initial contact, and though I didn't see him up against bull rushes more than a couple times, he showed good technique against these and didn't get driven back much, if at all. He throws a good punch, but doesn't have strong hands once they're on the defender, and occasionally loses his grip and gets beat because of it.

From what I've found he's projected to go somewhere in the 4th round. I wouldn't love the pick that high, but come the early fifth I'd start keeping an eye on him

Overall Rating - 5.9
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I've added those scores to the board. Great write-ups Jaymun.

It would be great for someone to pick up scouting for the following:

Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State
Johnthan Banks CB Mississippi State
Desmond Truffant CB Washington
Margus Hunt DE/DT SMU
Jordan Poyer CB Oregon State
Quinton Patton WR Lousiana Tech
Phillip Thomas S Fresno State
Matt Elam SS Florida
Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB Connecticut
Robert Alford CB Southeastern Louisiana
Cornelius Carradine DE Florida State
Jamar Taylor CB Boise State
Bennie Logan DT LSU
Brandon Williams DT Missouri Southern State
Cobi Hamilton WR Arkansas
Aaron Dobson WR Temple
Baccari Rambo FS Georgia
Duke Williams SS Nevada
Jordan Hill DT Penn State
Marquise Goodwin WR Texas
Tavarres King WR Georgia
Malliciah Goodman DE Clemson
Ryan Swope WR Texas A & M
Devin Taylor DE South Carolina
Leon McFadden CB San Diego State
Conner Vernon WR Duke
Chris Jones DT Bowling Green
Chris Harper WR Kansas State
Rashard Hall FS Clemson
JJ Wilcox SS Georgia Southern
Cooper Taylor SS Richmond
Marquess Wilson WR Washington
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Northern New England and about to be slammed w/ snow again so during all that I will have those DL write ups for you GFW.

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_GET_SAX wrote:
I'm in Northern New England and about to be slammed w/ snow again so during all that I will have those DL write ups for you GFW.

Thanks man.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: