Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Draft 3.0 - Post Senior Bowl Edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Mock Draft 3.0 - Post Senior Bowl Edition Reply with quote

Lots of things have shifted the past week or so regarding a few prospects. Some have surprised, some have REALLY disappointed. First, I gotta touch FA and I will attempt to do this reasonably.

Going:
Greg Jennings(as much as I hate to say it, he'll want 10 mil a year and we can't do that)
Ryan Grant
Donald Driver(sadly)
Jeff Saturday(retired)
Charles Woodson(two collarbone injuries and a sharp decline)
Brandon Saine(too many injuries, not enough development, cut in TC)

Staying:
EDS(as much as I hate to say it)
Brad Jones(really stepped up this year)
Sam Shields(surprised he didn't receive an extension)
Walden(up-n-down year, might be beat in TC)
Benson(he's cheap, he's driven, can pair up quite nicely with Harris and Starks)

Draft:

1. Johnathan Jenkins, NT/DE, Georgia
[code]

Jenkins is very similar to Raji in many aspects, most notably his bullrushing skills and quickness off the snap. Jenkins is surprisingly agile thus giving us the ability to line him up next to Raji to stuff a short yardage play.

2. Terrance Willams, WR, Baylor
[code]

Williams has the speed, footwork, and, more importantly, the TOUGHNESS to gain yards after the catch. Williams would be the perfect #3 receiver going into next season and a great replacement for Jennings.

3. Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
[code]

Taylor isn't the biggest guy out there, but with as much zone coverage as we've seen from Dom the past 2-3 years, Taylor fits our system quite well with his speed and, more importantly, TACKLING ABILITY...

4. DJ Swearinger, FS, South Carolina
[code]

Swearinger might shoot up the boards but he has the skills our Safety corps desperately needs....mainly excellence in coverage and TACKLING ABILITY...

5. David Bass, OLB, Missouri Western
[code]

This is about the time in the draft where we can take a gamble. Bass is a rising prospect but people will have questions about the level of competition he played against. We've hit on small school prospects numerous times(see Jennings, Collins, McMillian).

5(comp for Flynn). William Gholston, DE, Michigan State
[code]

Gholston has the strength and agility but needs significant work on his pass-rushing technique. Despite that weakness, however, Gholston can provide ample depth as a rotational player as he develops. Could be a great project for Mike Trgovac as a low risk, high reward player who seems to be descending the boards.

6. Ryan Otten, TE, San Jose State
[code]

Someone stuck up Otten on their mock the other day and I made the comment that Escobar would be a better solution. I take that back...

Otten is a more polished version of Tom Crabtree. Despite weighing only 235 lbs., Otten can block, but also has the ability to be a downfield threat. If he can fix his 40 time of 4.78, he might get a bump up the boards.

7. Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina
[code]

Taylor has the size and strength to develop into a solid 3-4 DE. Like Gholston, however, his mechanics need to improve.

Notable RFA: Jordan Rodgers, QB, Vandy; Philip Lutzenkirchen, TE, Auburn; Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas; John Wetzel, OT, Boston College; Baker Steinkuhler, DE, Nebraska
packattack86

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Jenkins if he's there. I like Williams but I think he goes late 1st early 2nd. Pretty solid overall.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenkins would be ideal IMO. I think the Pack will be extremely lucky if either Jenkins or Floyd drop because thats what this Packer defense needs - along with a S.

Have a hard time seeing Swearinger fall that far unless he does not run well at the combine. Very under rated prospect on the draft sites IMO.

I think you took too many DE types after you got Jenkins in the first, think I would have gone another direction with Gholston there. That will be one of the riskier picks this draft. For a 5th I can see, but if you get Taylor later as well, and you already had Jenkins....coulda had a V8, just saying.

Not so sure I get the Benson connection you are tryin to make here, yes he is going to be cheap but he is driven.....into the ground. Not so sure I would bring him into camp without a draft pick AND Starks, Green, Harris. This position needs a lot of competition IMO, not just another shot with a retread.

It will be interesting to see Bass measurements, I am not sold he is going to be able to disengage blocks at the next level right now. There is another guy that will have a lot riding on not just his combine results, but his physical measurements.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love it if Jenkins were our pick...I just don't see him lasting until #26.

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenkins can rotate in and out as a DE vs. NT. The idea of him being a DE would be more or less a sub-package situation. I do agree that Gholston IS a risk which is why I have him in the comp slot. I think he's worth the risk but if we don't get a 5th for Flynn I'd just drop him from my mock. Do keep in mind that we've had a lot of injuries along that D-line. Neal and Worthy have/will miss significant time and some people are still concerned about Worthy's injury. Plus, I don't think it'd be a bad idea to keep another DE on the practice squad just in case.

As for the Swearinger thing, I could see him shoot up the boards too, heck, if he's fast enough at the combine/pro-day, I think we'd pick him up in the 2nd if he's still there. I also wouldn't be surprised if Jamar Taylor goes in the 2nd, especially if he too looked strong at the combine.

If I had to pick a group of 3 DB's to target in this draft, he's one of them.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
Jenkins can rotate in and out as a DE vs. NT. The idea of him being a DE would be more or less a sub-package situation. I do agree that Gholston IS a risk which is why I have him in the comp slot. I think he's worth the risk but if we don't get a 5th for Flynn I'd just drop him from my mock. Do keep in mind that we've had a lot of injuries along that D-line. Neal and Worthy have/will miss significant time and some people are still concerned about Worthy's injury. Plus, I don't think it'd be a bad idea to keep another DE on the practice squad just in case.

As for the Swearinger thing, I could see him shoot up the boards too, heck, if he's fast enough at the combine/pro-day, I think we'd pick him up in the 2nd if he's still there. I also wouldn't be surprised if Jamar Taylor goes in the 2nd, especially if he too looked strong at the combine.

If I had to pick a group of 3 DB's to target in this draft, he's one of them.

Ya, again, he's a stud and would be thrilled if he fell, but I'm hearing 20th at the latest, more like 15.

Then again look at current and former Packers who fell to us. Aaron Rodgers and Vonnie Holliday immediately come to mind.

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
pollino14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jenkins could last.

Star/Richardson/Hankins(the Ohio St guy) prob ahead of him and maybe Williams from Alabama too. I would say theres a good possibilty he s there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
I think Jenkins could last.

Star/Richardson/Hankins(the Ohio St guy) prob ahead of him and maybe Williams from Alabama too. I would say theres a good possibilty he s there.
Possibly, but with the new 34's in the league NT, especially one with 34 exp, might get considerable... well, consideration.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: