Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

spilltray's mock 2.0 (with pics!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
Ask stupid questions, get stupid answers, but what you are doing here is just trolling.

KManX89

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
Fist of all I love this mock. Now perhaps i would draft a RB in round 2 becuase htere should be a few good ones still around but Taylor certainly is not a bad pick either. I don't think Finley is gone next year even f they go TE in round 1. If the Packers had better TE's on the roster now then maybe I see your point, but they don't. I am starting to think DE in round 1 if one if one the top ones are still available becuase Worthy may not be ready until mid-season next year, but the best TE in college football is a great pick for this team too.

Or, we could do like I did in my mock draft, and trade down with San Fran, who I surmise will be picking last (yes, I have them winning the big one on Sunday). It's a win-win for both teams, if you think about it:

San Fran has 14 picks and very few actual needs (though they do have future needs at WR, C, S, DE, and could use a better edge rusher opposite Aldon Smith, though Ahmad Brooks would be amazing depth behind him), so they can definitely afford to trade up to get a coveted player. Sam Montgomery might fall to the end of the 1st (I've seen MANY recent mocks with him doing so), so a trade up with us to get him is definitely in order, if this holds, and makes sense. Imagine Montgomery and Aldon Smith rushing the edge, alongside Willis and Bowman, behind Justin Smith, with Ahmad Brooks as depth behind them, that would be just unreal. Also, it would relieve the defending SB champ of picking dead last, for a change, which they'll gladly accept.

OTOH, we have so many current and future needs to address (TE, DE, C, WR, SS, ILB, OLB depth behind Matthews and Perry, and a QUALITY backup QB wouldn't hurt), so we could use more picks, while we still be able to pick up a quality player at a position of need with the 32nd pick (like an Eric Reid or Barrett Jones). I also wouldn't oppose to trying to tag and trade Jennings so we can get a 2nd, and possibly a 3rd for a 4th rounder (since we have 2 picks in the 4th round with a comp pick) for just this reason. The more of these positions we can hit with early round picks (thus guys who would be immediate impact players), the better. It also gives us leverage to trade up in later rounds, if need be.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Hate it. Too many jayhawks.

1?

Laughing

I understand you seem to hate everything from the state of Kansas, but even the worst dumps have a treasure or two.

What are your thoughts on Jordy Nelson? Or is it specific to Kansas not Kansas St?

Mizzou-KU is a rivalry the likes of Alabama-Auburn, Michigan-OSU. That rivalry dates all the way back to the Civil War when the territory of what is now Kansas wanted to break away from the Confederacy if I recall correctly. Like they had physical games and stuff as part of the attempt to separate from the confederacy.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense but I'm not as paranoid as to what San Fran will/should do. San Fran still has issues at WR, they still have issues along the O-line in terms of depth, and they haven't exactly figured out the secondary all too well. Many people think they could use a better CB or two.

I think it wouldn't be out of line to trade up and target specific players, but I just don't see them doing that, at least not all TOO often. Trading down with them would work but only if we picked up at least another 3rd round pick. I also think they'll go for another TE opposite Davis. Delanie Walker had a hard time with drops this past year; they could use more consistency opposite Davis.
spilltray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think the need situation is nearly as dire as that

Quote:
we have so many current and future needs to address (TE, DE, C, WR, SS, ILB, OLB depth behind Matthews and Perry, and a QUALITY backup QB wouldn't hurt)

ILB I'd bet they are fine rolling with Bishop, Hawk, Smith, Manning, and Jones. DL you assume they carry 6, with MAYBE a 7th and with Pickett, Raji, Worthy, Wilson, Neal, and Daniels, I don't really see a huge NEED to add there either. S, I'm also betting they feel fine starting whichever 2 of the 3 win a spot between Burnett, McMillian and Jennings. C is probably not perceived as so much of an in house need as a swing interior OL capable of backing up C and both G spots. WR, sure for depth, but even minus Jennings and Driver, Cobb, Nelson, and Jones are as potent a 1-2-3 as pretty much any team in the league.

Basically I don't think the situation is all that dire where GB needs to explore every opportunity to trade back and stockpile picks. In fact, if the right player fell around 15-20, I'd be more inclined to look into trading up than down this year.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spilltray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
spilltray wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Hate it. Too many jayhawks.

1?

Laughing

I understand you seem to hate everything from the state of Kansas, but even the worst dumps have a treasure or two.

What are your thoughts on Jordy Nelson? Or is it specific to Kansas not Kansas St?

Mizzou-KU is a rivalry the likes of Alabama-Auburn, Michigan-OSU. That rivalry dates all the way back to the Civil War when the territory of what is now Kansas wanted to break away from the Confederacy if I recall correctly. Like they had physical games and stuff as part of the attempt to separate from the confederacy.

I get it, but I don't care where they came from in college. If they are on the Packers, they are one of "mine". I don't really have any rooting interests in college football either. I've been to Wisconsin games and Cal games and had a blast at both. I watch NCAAFB strictly to see what's coming through the pipeline to the pros. I was mostly just poking fun of his bias asking him to look past it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what I like the most about your mock? You didn't fire Dom Capers. That alone makes me want to stand up and applaud.

In all seriousness, this mock has a very TT-like feel to it. The plethora of 2nd round talent that we end up selecting. I would love it if it worked out this way.

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
spilltray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
You know what I like the most about your mock? You didn't fire Dom Capers. That alone makes me want to stand up and applaud.

In all seriousness, this mock has a very TT-like feel to it. The plethora of 2nd round talent that we end up selecting. I would love it if it worked out this way.

lol ty. I don't think any of the defensive shortcomings are Capers fault and I don't see any DC candidate out there really worth replacing him with. If you don't have a better guy in mind, I'm not in favor of reactionary changes.

Biggest thing I'm trying to find is fit and value. We hear the "Packer people" phrase thrown around but I'm trying to find "Packer players", especially the top 3 picks here. Guys who are versatile

1 - Eifert - I think could move around in McCarthy's multiple offense, TE, slot WR, H-Back
2A - Jefferson I think could play either S spot as well as walk up into a monster type look
2B - Taylor is a RB that i think can fit in every package from I to shotgun spread
3 - Swope is a WR I think is capable of filling the X, Y or Z spots
4A - I can see Long developing as a jack-of-all-trades type LB similar to Brad Jones down the road as an ILB/OLB swing guy
4B - Williams could back up both NT and DE or play in heavier variants of the 2-4-5
5 - I'm looking at Hawkinson as a G/T depth player
6 - Schwartzstein would also have to swing C/G to win a roster spot
7 - Baby Rodgers ... yeah I just think that would be fun.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
That makes sense but I'm not as paranoid as to what San Fran will/should do. San Fran still has issues at WR, they still have issues along the O-line in terms of depth, and they haven't exactly figured out the secondary all too well. Many people think they could use a better CB or two.

I think it wouldn't be out of line to trade up and target specific players, but I just don't see them doing that, at least not all TOO often. Trading down with them would work but only if we picked up at least another 3rd round pick. I also think they'll go for another TE opposite Davis. Delanie Walker had a hard time with drops this past year; they could use more consistency opposite Davis.
SF has contract hell coming soon enough, they'll plan around replacing the tools they don't feel they can keep. WR wouldn't be a bad idea for them either...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: