Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

spilltray's mock 2.0 (with pics!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spilltray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: spilltray's mock 2.0 (with pics!) Reply with quote

Departures:
Cedric Benson
Ryan Grant
Donald Driver
Jeff Saturday
Jermichael Finley (Don't think it will actually happen, but I think it should. There is no way he is worth 8.5 mil in 2013)
Greg Jennings (tag and trade for Miami's 2nd round pick #42)

Draft
Round 1

#27 Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame - 6'6" - 275 lbs
I'm done with Finley. He is too inconsistent and doesn't do the little things well enough to justify his paycheck at all. Eifert is a great TE prospect. He's a smooth route runner, nice hands, really good blocker, hard worker, and smart player. Other than the fact he is just "nice" athletically and not some freak, I don't see a downside here. You can move him around a little to HB and FB, or flex him out. This kid is just a football player

Round 2

#42 Tony Jefferson - S - Oklahoma - 5'11" - 210
It's not that I'm not OK with the S on the roster, but you can never have too many good DBs and competition is always good. Jefferson is a guy I think is capable of being a versatile S and no matter who starts, having Burnett, McMillan, and Jennings with Jefferson at S would give you a solid starting pair and the ability to run some 3s sets. I think Jefferson might be able to be walked up into the box for some of the Woodson type almost "LB" looks, and between Woodson and Hayward you can accomodate that "joker" type look and run alot of nickle type looks.

#57 Stepfan Taylor - RB - Stanford - 5'11" - 208 lbs
Perfect RB for what the Packers do. Strong, decisive runner, smooth recieving, and as good a blitz protector as you see coming out of college. Someone who should be capable of lining up in any package the Packers use and being effective. Again, he's not going to wow anyone in shorts but he's going to be a good player on Sundays.

Round 3

#86 Ryan Swope - WR - Texas A&M - 6'0" - 206 lbs
One big thing I look for in recievers is their route running. I really like Swope as a fit for the Packers in this offense with his ability to fit into the demands of this offense for WRs to be able to line up at the X, Y , and Z positions.

Round 4

#119 Travis Long - LB - Washington State - 6'4" - 245 lbs
OK as a pass rusher, solid setting the edge, and OK dropping back into pass coverage, this is a depth pick to hopefully force Walden/Moses off the roster. Neither deserves to be on a NFL field. More of a jack of all trades OLB prospect who may be able to develop as a swing ILB/OLB down the road.

#130 (compensatory pick) Brandon Williams - DT - Missouri Southern State - 6'2" - 328 lbs
A smaller school flyer, but I like his physical tools and from the looks of the stat sheet he's had production, but I can't say I've ever watched Missouri Southern State. With the relative lack of 3-4 prospects in this class this is a calculated gamble.

Round 5

#159 Tanner Hawkinson - OT - Kansas - 6'5" - 300 lbs
A fairly athletic T prospect, good movement skills, decent punch, but he needs a fair bit of polish to transition into the NFL. He has the tools and seems to have the mindset, but he's developmental more than ready for prime time.

Round 6

#193 Sam Schwartzstein - C - Stanford - 6'3" - 292 lbs
A smart player who needs some polish and time in the weight room, but Schwartzstein could be ready to go by year 2 if the EDS experiment doesn't work out.

Round 7

#231 Jordan Rodgers - QB - Vanderbilt - 6'1" - 212 lbs
You could really insert any late round QB prospect here, that's what I'm looking for, an Ingle Martin or a Matt Flynn, but lack of familiarity with any of the prospects thought to be in range leads me to pick Baby Rodgers. In this specific case I don't think he's NFL starter material but he could have a nice career as a quality backup in the right situation.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: spilltray's mock 2.0 (with pics!) Reply with quote

It's not that I'm not OK with the S on the roster, but you can never have too many good DBs and competition is always good.[/quote]

I think you're one for two here. Our Safety corps desperately needs an upgrade. We got one of the pieces we need in McMillian, but we still need at least one, maybe two more solid players and I honestly don't think Jefferson is worth a 2nd. Taylor on the other hand... What I wholeheartedly agree with you on is the fact that you can never have too many good DB's; especially in a league that's becoming more pass-happy by the minute. I don't see Jennings getting tagged and traded so it'd be simple to just drop that pick and go with pretty much everyone else you have here.

Other than that, I'm actually OK with this draft. The only other concerns I see here, and I'm nitpicking a bit here, are that I don't see the need to draft more OT's, or interior linemen for that matter sparing Center which you have as your 6th round pick; though I think we could get Schwartzstein in RFA to be honest with you.

I like the Travis Long pick and the logic you used behind it. Long is shooting up the boards despite concerns about his agility. However, like you said, he's strong in run support and could be a healthier version of Zombo. I also like the Brandon Williams pick but I don't think he'd be much of a flyer. We'd be bringing him in to spell Raji and unless he completely flops, he's really not that big of a risk. I also agree with your logic regarding Ryan Swope, but picking him at 86 would be far too early IMO. Swope has speed concerns and would be a possession receiver for us, probably our #4 WR. The Eifert pick is a Cadillac pick and doesn't really address a need. However, Eifert would come in and supplant Finley from Day 1 IMHO.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite mock as of late. Would love Eifert and Tayor in 1 and 3, but I'd prefer some DL help or possibly a Minter/Greene/Brown in the second round. Not big on Jefferson being worth it in the second round. I think we'd be better off with delegating snaps to the guys we have and giving them experience rather than having a revolving door opposite of Burnett. Roll with McMillan and MD for now and see what you have next year.
spilltray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: spilltray's mock 2.0 (with pics!) Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
I think you're one for two here. Our Safety corps desperately needs an upgrade. We got one of the pieces we need in McMillian, but we still need at least one, maybe two more solid players and I honestly don't think Jefferson is worth a 2nd. Taylor on the other hand... What I wholeheartedly agree with you on is the fact that you can never have too many good DB's; especially in a league that's becoming more pass-happy by the minute. I don't see Jennings getting tagged and traded so it'd be simple to just drop that pick and go with pretty much everyone else you have here.

Other than that, I'm actually OK with this draft. The only other concerns I see here, and I'm nitpicking a bit here, are that I don't see the need to draft more OT's, or interior linemen for that matter sparing Center which you have as your 6th round pick; though I think we could get Schwartzstein in RFA to be honest with you.

I like the Travis Long pick and the logic you used behind it. Long is shooting up the boards despite concerns about his agility. However, like you said, he's strong in run support and could be a healthier version of Zombo. I also like the Brandon Williams pick but I don't think he'd be much of a flyer. We'd be bringing him in to spell Raji and unless he completely flops, he's really not that big of a risk. I also agree with your logic regarding Ryan Swope, but picking him at 86 would be far too early IMO. Swope has speed concerns and would be a possession receiver for us, probably our #4 WR. The Eifert pick is a Cadillac pick and doesn't really address a need. However, Eifert would come in and supplant Finley from Day 1 IMHO.

I don't think S "desperately" need an upgrade by any means. Between Burnett, McMillan, and Jennings, you have very little experience. Burnett was in his 2nd full season after basically losing his rookie year. McMillan was a rookie, and Jennings a 2nd year player who barely saw the field the year before. All 3 show they have the athletic ability to play there but are green and need seasoning. I'm all for adding more and trying to get better there, but I fully think 2 starting caliber S can be found out of the 3 that are back there. Again, I'm all for adding a good fit, but I don't view the situation as dire. For this defense, Jefferson is probably my favorite S in this class.

As far as OT goes, I'm not sure Barclay is any more than JAG. Either way, past Bulaga, Sitton, EDS, Lang, Newhouse, and Sherrod, what else can you really say you feel good about? At 6'5" 300 lbs, I think Hawkinson could be a valuable depth guy who might be able to play G/T I'm looking to carry 8-9 OL on the 53, so I think there is room for another couple OL on the roster.

As far as Eifert not being a "need" pick, here is how I look at it... Finley is too inconsistent to be counted on, but either he is going to have a big year going into his contract, or he's going to flash enough to convince someone else to pay him based on potential one more time. With the complexity of the offense the Packers run, expecting a rookie to step in day 1 and be THE guy would be a dangerous proposition, and with Driver and Jennings likely gone, and Jones and Finley both FAs after 2013, talented pass catchers are a need NOW, to get them into the system.

CentralFC wrote:
Favorite mock as of late. Would love Eifert and Tayor in 1 and 3, but I'd prefer some DL help or possibly a Minter/Greene/Brown in the second round. Not big on Jefferson being worth it in the second round. I think we'd be better off with delegating snaps to the guys we have and giving them experience rather than having a revolving door opposite of Burnett. Roll with McMillan and MD for now and see what you have next year.

To me, all 3 of those LBs look like 4-3 guys, with the possible exception of Minter who I don't think is as good as LSU's defense makes him look. I don't really see any DL I like around that spot and every time I watch Jefferson, I see an NFL caliber S. I've said this before, but he is pretty easily my favorite in this draft class for GB's defense. The combine numbers won't look all that amazing, but, as the saying goes, the tape doesn't lie. This kid is a player. Maybe it's high compared to other draft rankings, but I have a real high opinion of this kid. Let's see how this shakes out on draft day, I guess. I want the flexibility to not guarantee a starting S spot to any of the 3 currently on the roster. I also want the flexibility to run 3 S nickle sets, given the amount of nickle looks GB gives and with the current 3, I don't really think that's an option.

I guess I'm somewhere between the two of you on the situation at S. I don't think it's a MUST UPGRADE, but I also am not at all opposed to adding the right guy and right now, I think Jefferson fits that bill.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
incognito_man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't like stepfan taylor, but wouldn't be too upset if we only used a 3rd but think there's definitely better RB talent than him this year. More of a 4th-5th round guy IMO.
spilltray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
don't like stepfan taylor, but wouldn't be too upset if we only used a 3rd but think there's definitely better RB talent than him this year. More of a 4th-5th round guy IMO.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. He's my favorite RB in this class by a good margin. Other guys are better pure runners, but his all around game is grade A. This is a passing offense and a guy who can be useful in passing sets is more important than just being able to run the ball. I really don't think he'll be on the board by the time the Packers 3rd rounder rolls around. Last RB I liked this way was Shane Vereen. I mocked him to the Packers in the 3rd and kept getting told "No way he's a 4th round guy". He hasn't been able to get on the field much but he shows that flexibility to work into a passing offense that I like, and he was taken with the 24th pick of the 2nd round. I want a 3 down RB and for the Packers that means blocking and receiving ability are at least as important as running. Vereen is better splitting into the slot, but Taylor will be much better as a blocker.
Blink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the mock and hate you for taking Eifert!!

I have more faith in Finley than you do, but I recognize the need for a physical target than can be thrown open. Finley used to be something like that but not anymore. I think people are under estimating our TE need as well as the impact a star one could make.

Not a huge Stepfan guy but I think he could be useful in this fit. Its a bit too early in the process for me to nitpick slotting.

Well done fella.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the experience argument regarding the Safety corps, but there were way too many times that MD Jennings was dragging and riding the ball carrier. Gotta have a guy back there with solid tackling technique. I'm not giving up on Jennings, but I think we can easily upgrade the position with someone like Swearinger or Zeke Motta.

I agree with you on the Minter analysis. He and Sam Montgomery look great because Barkevious Mingo and other players attract more attention freeing up Minter and Eric Reid to make plays. I don't think Minter is a bad player, but like you said, he's a 4-3 guy.

This year's OLB class is pathetic IMO. You've got a bunch of tweener DE's that either do not have the speed or the agility to drop into space. Perry's agility was questioned last year but he certainly had the speed to make the conversion and I thought he improved upon his weaknesses as the season progressed. The only guys I could see making an impact for us are Brandon Jenkins and David Bass. You could argue Lerentee McCray as well but he's wildly inconsistent and tends not to have his head in the game some of the time.
spilltray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
I get the experience argument regarding the Safety corps, but there were way too many times that MD Jennings was dragging and riding the ball carrier. Gotta have a guy back there with solid tackling technique. I'm not giving up on Jennings, but I think we can easily upgrade the position with someone like Swearinger or Zeke Motta.

I'm looking for more centerfielder FS types. I want them to be good tacklers but I'm not looking for big hitter types. I like Seratinger a good bit mroe than Motta, but I don't really think either are any better than Burnett/McMillian/Jennings.
ThinkICare

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a fan of the mock. I'm with you a hundred percent about Finley. Although he did do better later i nthe season, he's still wildly inconsistent. Either having him cut or someone to give him very good competition can be very revealing. Either he steps up big time or would be in Eiferts shadow. I can't even imagine what kind of reaction he'd have when he's just watching the draft and seeing a TE being picked in the 1st round whilst still being on the team.

Haven't seen much of Jefferson, but from what I've heard he's one of the very few decent safeties who has a better feel in deep coverage.

I do quite like Taylor and would be good in combo with Harris, but still wary of how much tread he has after the years at Stanford.

Don't know much about the other prospects.
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple things. We have pick #26, not #27. Also Brandon Williams is far too low. He's no longer a sleeper after his senior bowl practices. He'll probably go late 2 to late 3. No way he makes it to our comp pick in the 4th.

I'm also not a fan of Eifert (Have Ertz as the #1 in this class) or Taylor (hate RBs that lack speed).

I love Williams and I'm decently high on Swope although my love for him is dropping. The rest are eh.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:

I agree to an extent, but with who we have on the roster I think he fits perfect.

Sig brought to you by Justo
spilltray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
A couple things. We have pick #26, not #27. Also Brandon Williams is far too low. He's no longer a sleeper after his senior bowl practices. He'll probably go late 2 to late 3. No way he makes it to our comp pick in the 4th.

I'm also not a fan of Eifert (Have Ertz as the #1 in this class) or Taylor (hate RBs that lack speed).

I love Williams and I'm decently high on Swope although my love for him is dropping. The rest are eh.

I haven't gotten much of a chance to check out the Sr Bowl stuff. I watched the game a few times and didn't see much from Williams in the game. I don't think he raises quite that high based on just the Sr Bowl. Even if he killed it completely, I can't see him more than edging into the back end of the 3rd.

I think Ertz might be more athletic, but I think you can do more with Eifert. Not really trying to compare the two to the players I'm about to mention, in as a measure of ability but of style. Ertz, to me is a Finley type that blocks a bit better. You can keep him in line, or flex him into the slot. Eifert fits better to me in McCarthy's offense because I think he can have more flexibility like Gronkowski does. He can flex into the slot, or into a H-back/FB type role. In terms of his route running, I see alot more polish in Eifert than I do Ertz. I like Ertz as a prospect, but I think Eifert is the better football player.

As far as Taylor goes, I get it, he's not explosive, but he's fast enough to grind out tough yards, and his all around game is at a higher level than any other RB in this class. I agree, if you are looking at JUST running skills, maybe he's a 4th round guy, but looking at his all around game? Harris isn't going to get you the tough inside yards on short yardage plays, and Green is OK. Starks can't stay on the field, so I'm not going to count on him for anything either. I'm looking for RBs who can play in everything from an I to a spread shotgun and take that spot from Kuhn, but still are a threat running and receiving. To me, that's Taylor to a T.
packattack86

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we let Finley go I'd be fine w/ us grabbing Eifert or Ertz, Jefferson is ok, maybe not worth a 2nd. Love Taylor. Not a fan of Swope. The rest is good depth, and I like that Williams kid at DT.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packattack86 wrote:
If we let Finley go I'd be fine w/ us grabbing Eifert or Ertz, Jefferson is ok, maybe not worth a 2nd. Love Taylor. Not a fan of Swope. The rest is good depth, and I like that Williams kid at DT.

Even if Finley isn't let go, I don't think resigning him past 2013 is very likely.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: