Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Blankman's Pre-Combine Mock (Now With More Eye Candy)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blankman0021

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Blankman's Pre-Combine Mock (Now With More Eye Candy) Reply with quote

Offseason

Contracts

Not Resigned/retired/released/:

WR Donald Driver-retired- Expected. Sad to see him go.
C Jeff Saturday-retired- Already announced. Class act.
SS Charles Woodson-cut- Would be nice if he retired, but I have a feeling he'll be back for another year. Not at his salary though. We don't have that kind of money to pay him, and in this mock, he's replaced due to his lack of special teams ability.
RB Cedric Benson-not re-signed- Expected.
RB Ryan Grant-not re-signed- Expected.
ILB Brad Jones-not re-signed- Expected.
ILB Robert Francois-not re-signed- No room on the roster for him. Could be back if there is an injury.
OLB Erik Walden-not re-signed- Nice backup, but we're getting younger.

Re-signed:

C Evan Dietrich-Smith- Tagged with a 2nd round tender. Wins the camp battle and starts this year. Not expected to be back the year after and will leave in FA. His replacement will be backing him up, and the 3rd stringer is on the PS.
CB Sam Shields-Tagged with the 1st round tender. Shields really came on at the end of the year and is one of the more promising members on this team. Easy decision. He could be a candidate for an in-season extension.
TE Tom Crabtree- Tagged with ROFR and brought back. Good ST player and reliable although unspectacular on offense.

Trade:
Jennings tagged with intention to bring back, eventually traded with our 2nd round pick to Rams for #22. This values Jennings at 460 points, or pick #44 of the draft.

Draft:

RD 1.22: Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
Height: 6-6. Weight: 270.
Projected 40 Time: 4.69.
Projected Round (2013): 1-2.

Ansah is one of the prospects I'm most excited about in this draft. He could easily go higher than this, especially with the Giants picking at 19, and a few teams picking higher needing a DE. Ansah is as raw as they come, but he is definitely in the mold of JPP. He could start right away at RE in this defense, and might have to considering Worthy is rumored out for the season, or best case it looks like he might start the year on PUP. Ansah could be the answer Wink

RD 1.26: Traded!! Bills move up to select Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse. Packers receive Round 2 pick #40 and round 3 pick #72.

RD 2.08: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
Height: 6-2. Weight: 195.
Projected 40 Time: 4.58.
Projected Round (2013): 2-4.

TT comes back to draft yet another 2nd round small school WR. Patton has been linked to the Packers recently, and is the type of reciever TT looks for. He is fast, and has great YAC. "Patton played really well this season with 104 receptions for 1,392 yards and 13 touchdowns."-Walter Football Patton seems to have the production to back his skill set. He'll also be given the year to learn from Cobb, Nelson, and Jones.

RD 3.08: Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
Height: 6-8. Weight: 280.
Projected 40 Time: 4.83.
Projected Round (2013): 2-3.

Hunt is the other VERY raw prospect in this draft and that is why he is available in the third. He could go much higher, but he is the definition of a boom/bust prospect. TT rolls the dice with him. He reminds me of a young Calais Campbell- an excellent run defender who has amazing length and can bat down balls at the LOS. There arent many who can reach as high as the 6ft 8in Hunt.

RD 3.26:Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 215.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
Projected Round (2013): 3-4.

"[He] had a breakout season, leading the Conference in interceptions with six and finished third in the conference in passes defended with 13. He also contributed 54 tackles (33 solo), a fumble recovery, and the first defensive touchdown of his college career (intercepting a pass by Norfolk State University quarterback Willie Mitchell and returning it 45 yards for the score). He was an all-conference selection for the season." Oops, sorry that was about Nick Collins back in 2003. Sorry, must have mixed it up with this: "Thomas leads the nation with eight interceptions. He had three picks against Colorado, returning two of them for touchdowns. Thomas also has recorded 82 tackles, 12 tackles for a loss, four passes broken up and four forced fumbles. He has really put himself on the map with his big plays and is making up for lost time."-Walter Football All in all I would ecstatic to see Thomas in green and gold next season. I think he is the S prospect we are lacking, and will be a stud years down the road. If Woodson comes back on a reduced salary, it could help transition Thomas into the NFL, but I'm just not that sure that Woodson is that good at Safety to make him wait. We'll see how that situation plays out.

RD 4.26: Traded to Jags for the 1 year rights of MJD. This trade is a 1 year rental of a very good, but very outspoken running back. MJD has IMO talked his way out of Jax, and the new regime in town would rather draft a RB high than have a player on their squad who is unhappy. They also have a few quality backup RBs who can shoulder the load post-MJD. MJD is worth a late 4th to the Packers.

RD 4.30: Trade! Packers package their Round 5 and 6 picks to move back up to the end of the 4th. They were really hoping when they traded for MJD that Escobar would reach their comp pick, but they couldnt risk it.
Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State
Height: 6-6. Weight: 255.
Projected 40 Time: 4.69.
Projected Round (2013): 2-4.

Escobar is a high riser at the TE position and very well could be taken before this on draft day. Right now though, he is projected here on most draft sites and could give us some major leverage in re-negotiating with Finley. Escobar helps fill the void in the receiving core Jennings left.

RD 4 Comp: Brian Schwenke, C, Cal
Height: 6-3. Weight: 307.
Projected 40 Time: 5.23.
Projected Round (2013): 4.

Forum favorite right now in the mid-round picks. Good backup C to EDS with the intention that after a year of learning on the bench he could take EDS's spot in the lineup while we let EDS walk in FA for more money.

RD 5: Traded.
RD 6: Traded.

RD 7: Wes Horton, OLB, USC
Height: 6-5. Weight: 261.
Projected 40 Time: 4.77.
Projected Round (2013): 7-FA.

Another USC linebacker to add to the stable. TT only drafts OLBs from USC from now on.

Undrafted: Zach Boren, FB, Ohio State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 245.
Projected 40 Time: 4.78.
Projected Round (2013): 7.

Nearly took him in the draft's 7th round. Could be a comp pick if we get one. Kuhn still has enough value to this team to make the roster, but we need a contingency plan in place because this could be his last year that he is worth that deal. Boren reminds me a lot of Korey Hall. A LB/FB hybrid player. Perfect for our ST's. He makes it through to our PS.

QB: Rodgers/ Coleman (2)
RB: Jones-Drew/ Green/ Starks/ Kuhn (4)
WR: Nelson/ Cobb/ Jones/ Patton/ Boykin/ Ross (6)
TE: Finley/ Escobar/ Quarless/ Crabtree/ Taylor (5)
OT: Sherrod/ Bulaga/ Newhouse/ Barclay (4)
OG: Lang/ Sitton/ VanRotten (3)
OC: EDS/ Schwenke (2)

Offense: 26

DL: Pickett/ Raji/ Ansah/ Hunt/ Neal/ Daniels (6)
OLB: Matthews/ Perry/ Moses/ Horton (4)
ILB: Bishop/ Hawk/ Smith/ Manning/ Lattimore (5)
CB: Williams/ Shields/ Heyward/ House/ Bush (5)
S: Burnett/ Thomas/ McMillian/ Jennings (4)

Defense: 24

ST: Crosby/ Masthay/ Goode (3)

PS: Boren (Kuhns future Replacement)/ Gerhart (Center Depth)/ 4 other schmucks
Gerhart sits a year on the PS with the intention of being the backup C come next year. His spot could easily be replaced though, don't count on him staying the year here.

PUP: Worthy
Sad to see an injury like that to a promising pick. But we saw this year that we can't bank on players coming back from major injuries the next season (Sherrod) and need a contingency plan. Hopefully come a year from now, Worthy can make this DL group COMPLETELY dominant, and give us a body to replace Pickett because he isn't lasting forever.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!

Last edited by blankman0021 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:44 am; edited 3 times in total
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take those picks! lol at TT
blankman0021

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, I know it's pretty perfect, but that doesn't mean you can't comment on it.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ansah is 4-3 DE only. Not sure putting him at 5-tech plays him to his strengths.

Like Thomas, could go at the end of 2/start of 3.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patton>Ansah>Horton>Hunt>>>MJD>Escobar>Middle Thomas>Right Thomas>Schwenke>Left Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfinley88 wrote:
Patton>Ansah>Horton>Hunt>>>MJD>Escobar>Middle Thomas>Right Thomas>Schwenke>Left Thomas

Haha I like your thinking. Although I'm questioning your judgement with schwenke.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
CentralFC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love Ansah but can he play five-tech? I think if we force that fit he becomes a shell of his potential. I'd like him standing up a la Aldon Smith but not in a 3-4 as an end. Besides, when do we play our base?

Maybe rotate him with Perry and Matthews. You can never have enough pass rushing threats.

Perry--Ansah--Bishop--Matthews would be devastating on passing downs. Can Ansah drop in coverage, though? That's a lot of pass rushing ability but little in coverage skills.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of the Patton pick, especially that early. The Hunt pick is at a great spot though. I still think Eric Reid is the better pick at Safety but I'm glad that someone addressed the position rather early.

I have the same concerns about Ansah that CentralFC has. One of the biggest question marks about Perry were his coverage skills and while we didn't have an issue, the sample size for Perry's coverage skills is quite small.

Other than those tidbits, this really isn't that bad of a draft at all.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i seriously cannot think of a more attractive female than the redhead. She's perfect.
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
i seriously cannot think of a more attractive female than the redhead. She's perfect.

Throw a little ink on that pale skin and I'm with ya.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:

Are you talkin' tats? Minus 3 respect points if you want infect a godess like that with tatoos... Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfinley88 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:

Are you talkin' tats? Minus 3 respect points if you want infect a godess like that with tatoos... Confused

I respect your line of thinking there. Nothing more sexy than well done ink in my eyes if(and only if) it fits the character of the woman.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
jfinley88 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:

I respect your line of thinking there. Nothing more sexy than well done ink in my eyes if(and only if) it fits the character of the woman.
Placement/location is an understated issue too.
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Ansah, Hunt, and Thomas slip that far I will banish the Packers from my household if we don't take them all. Would be a dream come true.

That being said, no way that happens. If only Laughing

PSN: ShiiNyIV
Abalow7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably my favorite mock thus far. I love it. We desperately need some big guys up front on that d-line

Packerbacker87 on the SIG ^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: